Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I've already missed that card, thats annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I couldn't find one of the chests in chapter 2 despite scouring the map so there might be one that can be locked out by your decisions there too. Oh well, I'm going to replay it anyway.

My only other real complaint mid-chapter 3 is that I wish there was a difficulty above hard; some of your bronze units are just too OP for even comically OP AI decks to deal with, letting you ignore the gimmicks on a lot of fights and just steamroll through. Also, when your base army is that strong, some of the big decisions related to people joining/leaving the party don't have the mechanical sting they should.

It's a really great game though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Chapter 2 I think you possibly had to let someone join you at some point? I think one of the forest chests came from someone in your army not sure. Otherwise the trickiest one for me was finding the house on the left of the map though I totally lucked into finding a dig spot by accident at another point.

Still feels dumb that I got rewarded eventually for dragging those slaves all over aedirn. I've been merciless to generals, stupidly nice to the rank and file. And man I'm annoyed that I hosed up and john cleese didnt join me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I really like the autosave thing, I did the same and I 100% would have savescummed to get that dude if the game had let me. Instead I had to live with it and face full life consequences

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The missable gwent unlockables I hate, otherwise yeah I'm not actually mad at the game about missable in game things.

Another weird thing is not having a deck editor at the battle start screen. I havent really needed one but it seems like it would be in the spirit of the sort of play the game would encourage.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm having a lot of fun playing NG Shupe with Usurper leader, you just gently caress with their game plans and synergies with the Leader ability, and tons of other NG cards like Tigor/Vilgefortz/Cantarella :allears:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There are no netdecks yet, Gwent literally unplayable atm.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Building decks is ez when the game is this imbalanced. you just put witchers, avallach, ciri, dorregaray and the obvious best faction cards like strenger and caranthir in, choose some bronzes, then fill out the rest.

If you really just want to win make a deck that rowstacks and cast froth four times but eh... kind of boring.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The CPU hogging and annoying loving ambient bird noises aside it's pretty good. Even though it feels like every deck is worthless apart from Skellige and Nilfgaard.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The CPU hogging and annoying loving ambient bird noises aside it's pretty good. Even though it feels like every deck is worthless apart from Skellige and Nilfgaard.

Deathwish Monsters seems pretty solid even though my deck is unoptimized and I am bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Love the owl noise. Actually sounds like a real owl. You don't see that enough these days.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
finally opened gwent

i have three hundred thousand scraps

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Do the Thronebreaker puzzles only give Gwent cards? If so, I can skip them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Deathwish Monsters seems pretty solid even though my deck is unoptimized and I am bad.
it is. it is way overstatted + resilient to removal.

Lets look at poor nr - you have this weird lancer guy that's 3 points for 5, and is orders deal 1 damage meaning you're losing 2 points if he's killed immediately. Then, even if he lives to orders, you only get 4 for 5. But, if you play him, and he lives, and you buff him, he gives you 6 points for 5. Or if you immediately foltest him you get 2 points over a standard play and can never use him again + you used a leader charge.

Lets look at harpy egg. If you elder it immediately, you get 5 extra points and still get to crack the egg later. If you open it with a vanilla statted play like celaeno harpy you go up +3, gaining 8 points for a 5 point card. And this is a unit that can't actually be removed, as that will trigger its deathwish for free.

Bridge troll is almost as good point-wise, as is rotfiend.

Even locking eggs isnt that good if you have enough of them. Locking generally costs 2 points to do and eggs give 3 points for 5 meaning its an even trade.

So yeah deathwish is really good. More complicated difficult decks might come up later but bronze numbers are very much in its favor.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
How's NR spectres? I really like the look of the cards but when I face a NG witcher deck with thinning witchers, buffing every witcher in the deck, witcher mentors, banishes. It's loving unreal how good that deck looks this early.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

every deck looks good compared to NR.

NR is hopeless, you play it because draug looks cool and foltest seems fun and demivand seems really interesting but the only way you win games is by abusing anna strenger. I saw a cool demivand + bloody flail deck but its still bad because most of their cards casually lose points vs everything all game.

NG witchers hasnt been that good in my experience. It only runs like 12 witchers (?) so the leader is only actually getting 10 value or so over the course of the game.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 24, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

kloa posted:

Do the Thronebreaker puzzles only give Gwent cards? If so, I can skip them.

Why would yo skip one of the best parts of the game.

Also, the difference between Normal and Hard difficulties is that your cards have +2 power in Normal (in comparison with Hard mode).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

No Wave posted:

it is. it is way overstatted + resilient to removal.

Lets look at poor nr - you have this weird lancer guy that's 3 points for 5, and is orders deal 1 damage meaning you're losing 2 points if he's killed immediately. Then, even if he lives to orders, you only get 4 for 5. But, if you play him, and he lives, and you buff him, he gives you 6 points for 5. Or if you immediately foltest him you get 2 points over a standard play and can never use him again + you used a leader charge.

Lets look at harpy egg. If you elder it immediately, you get 5 extra points and still get to crack the egg later. If you open it with a vanilla statted play like celaeno harpy you go up +3, gaining 8 points for a 5 point card. And this is a unit that can't actually be removed, as that will trigger its deathwish for free.

Bridge troll is almost as good point-wise, as is rotfiend.

Even locking eggs isnt that good if you have enough of them. Locking generally costs 2 points to do and eggs give 3 points for 5 meaning its an even trade.

So yeah deathwish is really good. More complicated difficult decks might come up later but bronze numbers are very much in its favor.

I'm waffling on whether to use whassisface, the gold elf who triggers deathrattles when you play them. Gels. He's squishy and an absolute top priority target, so he dies constantly and it feels really bad (because if he didn't that's game right there).

Same for the gold that resurrects itself at end of turn, because that makes the opponent even more likely to frantically blow up your vital slyzards and if it doesn't get consumed (consumed, not triggered, because it resurrects itself, it doesn't spawn a copy) it's very nearly worthless.

at least Caranthir is 100% guaranteed to do something hilarious in a deathwish deck

Also whoever it was that recommended Alpha Werewolf was reasonably correct.

More general question: what's the expected value-to-resources ratio? 1:1?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 24, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I feel like he could survive enough to make him worth it in a slyzard deathwish deck. I'd put avallach in it too but i'm not objective about that card.

I like to play engineless deathwish (so i use harpy, cyclops, griffin, no ruehin) so there are zero actual removal targets.. the first removal target i add is likely to get killed so i skipped ge'els. This deck might not do enough points next week but yesterday/ptr it was fine.

1:1 is a nice dividing line, as below 1 is bad and measurably above 1 is really good, but as we get smarter and more selective about what decks we run i expect the number will creep up to 1.2 or so. (tgese numbers are all made up)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 24, 2018

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm waffling on whether to use whassisface, the gold elf who triggers deathrattles when you play them. Gels. He's squishy and an absolute top priority target, so he dies constantly and it feels really bad (because if he didn't that's game right there).

Heres the version i have been using, its from Sirpumpkns stream.

the missing cards from bottom are fiends, archspores and last one was that weirdly named deathrattle enabler. Cant check the name right now.

With eredin as the leader you save geels for round 3, play him first and eredin him to grant immunity.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GoldenPrice posted:

Heres the version i have been using, its from Sirpumpkns stream.

the missing cards from bottom are fiends, archspores and last one was that weirdly named deathrattle enabler. Cant check the name right now.

With eredin as the leader you save geels for round 3, play him first and eredin him to grant immunity.

this list looks very little like mine, I'll try it out

i have functionally infinite scraps as long as I stick to 1-2 factions

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ew eredin deathwish... it's great against players who won't push round 1+2 against an eredin deck, heck maybe it's optimal but it's grimy... you have a fun deck that wins on points regardless, you dont have to turn it into a cheese deck.

Also manticore without elder is imo not good... The reason manticore is good is because you can win the game right away if you're on red and they develop a big guy and buff it turn 1. It's passable outside of that use case but not great and you could probably play something else.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 24, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

Ew eredin deathwish... it's great against players who won't push round 1+2 against an eredin deck, heck maybe it's optimal but it's grimy... you have a fun deck that wins on points regardless, you dont have to turn it into a cheese deck.

Also manticore without elder is imo not good... The reason manticore is good is because you can win the game right away if you're on red and they develop a big guy and buff it turn 1. It's passable outside of that use case but not great and you could probably play something else.

Yeah, I've already discovered Surprise Manticore. :black101:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So what's a fun Skellige list look like now? I've been playing a weird rowstacking / deathwish Monsters deck because that was my favorite faction in the last Gwent, but honestly Monsters has way less interaction with the opponent's board now, so Skellige looks like it fills that role now.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I haven't played this in forever and it seems like they're still intent on having vague descriptions in as many places as possible so someone help me out here.

What constitutes a "special card?" Is that any non-unit card or just spells, or what?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

No Wave posted:

it's very early in the game, I'm just praying it doesnt happen on map 3/4/5.

haha

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I haven't played this in forever and it seems like they're still intent on having vague descriptions in as many places as possible so someone help me out here.

What constitutes a "special card?" Is that any non-unit card or just spells, or what?

Just the one-shot effect cards. Every card is either a unit, artifact, or special card.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I should have played the beta more. I usually blazed up the ranks really fast in old Gwent but I'm getting absolutely dunked on in Homecoming. Also I bought the Northern realms board for a ridiculous amount of powder so I could have actual visual contrast.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Nibble posted:

Just the one-shot effect cards. Every card is either a unit, artifact, or special card.

Cool, thanks. Be nice if the game had a glossary or something.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Thronebreaker is good. I'm terrible at card game and it's super fun. The puzzle games take me a good number of tries and actual thinking but are all solvable and I'm learning and it's really good.

drat. Being back it a bleak witcher world is good and bad and good.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is it impossible to complete card collections at the moment? I've made one of every card in the game yet I'm stuck on 80-something/96 for most factions, 77/95 for Skellige and 136/144 for neutrals. What gives?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Azran posted:

Is it impossible to complete card collections at the moment? I've made one of every card in the game yet I'm stuck on 80-something/96 for most factions, 77/95 for Skellige and 136/144 for neutrals. What gives?

The Thronebreaker cards maybe?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

That was my first theory but I purchased Thronebreaker, unless you get more than the ones granted by merely purchasing TB.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Azran posted:

That was my first theory but I purchased Thronebreaker, unless you get more than the ones granted by merely purchasing TB.

I took a look around and I think you can only get the Thronebreaker set premiums by finding the golden chests in Thronebreaker. Can still buy the regular ones.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Can someone give me a hint for one of the early puzzles in thronebreaker, its the one where you have to reduced the three necrophages from 8 to 1. I keep loving it up.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Southpaugh posted:

Can someone give me a hint for one of the early puzzles in thronebreaker, its the one where you have to reduced the three necrophages from 8 to 1. I keep loving it up.

Get cards out. You have the guys that can move rows. So have the right number in melee. Have them move out as arbalists do the proper damage. The "summon the cards next to you" guy I played on the edge to only summon 1 arbalist.

Spoiler the tricky part hint.

the math I used had me start with an arbalist in ranged for 1 damage on one enemy

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Southpaugh posted:

You may already know this, but the trick is NOT to kill any of them. You're looking at your cards and manueving them so that you can hit them each/all with 7 points of damage total.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

chapter 3 spoiler: the thing i most regret in this game is not killing more elves. losing rayla sucķkkks.

Also there's an achievement in gwent for having all of the hero cards at once, so you can keep everyone if you play properly apparently (it actually says gascon and odo don't have to be present, though I wouldnt know why at this point).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Also I'm liking the flow of new gwent less and less. Playing cards feels muddy and bad and even strong plays feel weak. Like getting wrecked by schirru more or less ends the game but it somehow feels like nothing important happened. Part of this is the ridiculously low visual contrast in the game, part's sound effects, part of it is the flow of each turn not having a defined end point. (listen to hearthstone's end turn sound for a satisfying one, or even gwent's old coin sound). Games are too long as well and with the board being so small it feels like very little is happening. Gwent 1 foltest had so many more units on the board to interact with.

For some reason TB feels fine though, maybe because it's easy and everything is op and the opponent's turn is instant.

I'd like new gwent to succeed, I have half a million scraps, but I have trouble even seeing the potential when the actual gameplay just doesnt feel fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

No Wave posted:

Also I'm liking the flow of new gwent less and less. Playing cards feels muddy and bad and even strong plays feel weak. Like getting wrecked by schirru more or less ends the game but it somehow feels like nothing important happened. Part of this is the ridiculously low visual contrast in the game, part's sound effects, part of it is the flow of each turn not having a defined end point. (listen to hearthstone's end turn sound for a satisfying one, or even gwent's old coin sound). Games are too long as well and with the board being so small it feels like very little is happening. Gwent 1 foltest had so many more units on the board to interact with.

For some reason TB feels fine though, maybe because it's easy and everything is op and the opponent's turn is instant.

I'd like new gwent to succeed, I have half a million scraps, but I have trouble even seeing the potential when the actual gameplay just doesnt feel fun.

I agree with this. I also dislike how they exchanged perfectly fine visual indicators for stuff like Lock and Spying (and I suppose also Endurance but I've yet to see someone play an Endurance card) for less notorious and uglier icons. The Immune icon is downright confusing, what does cellular division have to do with immunity? Feels out of place. Also this is purely subjective but I preferred when leaders were just cards - now there isn't really a reason to craft Premium leaders.