Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bows1 posted:

Just found out my girlfriends dad (who passed away) was best friends with Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore. they were both at his funeral and that just blows my mind.

talk about a weird way to meet some rock legends :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Anyone here have the Neutral Milk Hotel box set? If so, is it worth the price for someone who is a big fan?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

l've listened to Phases so much the past two days. I still can't get over how good Dear Rouge was, and meeting them afterward to talk made me realize what great people they are too. They are so deserving of making it big.

Totally agree man. I loved Black to Gold, but Phases has actually blown me away. After a billion listens I think my favourite track is Wicked Thing. And you're right, they're stellar people, I've followed them since they were so small, one time I even went to a local HMV (Canadian physical record store haha) to watch them play a tiny show, got autographs and had Starbucks when them after. They deserve to make it big, even if I'll miss them playing in little bars.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Beelerzebub posted:

Anyone here have the Neutral Milk Hotel box set? If so, is it worth the price for someone who is a big fan?

Personally speaking, a physical copy of Ferris Wheel on Fire is worth the price of admission alone. Though if you already have their LPs on vinyl, you're not getting a ton of new stuff but those have been widely available forever

https://youtu.be/1WeO5Fl8G8s

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I couldn't really give a poo poo about Greta Van Fleet or pitchfork but this review of their album is scathing and highly entertaining. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I was pretty pumped for the album because I liked the eps and their "Zeppelin clone" schtick was ok with me. That being said: the album is really really bad. Think the filler tracks from In Through the Out Door compiled as a longer album and that's what GvF made.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Astrochicken posted:

I couldn't really give a poo poo about Greta Van Fleet or pitchfork but this review of their album is scathing and highly entertaining. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

It got a few laughs from me if only because it reflects my own skepticism sprinkled in with a pinch of jealousy and nostalgia for Zep.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Totally agree man. I loved Black to Gold, but Phases has actually blown me away. After a billion listens I think my favourite track is Wicked Thing. And you're right, they're stellar people, I've followed them since they were so small, one time I even went to a local HMV (Canadian physical record store haha) to watch them play a tiny show, got autographs and had Starbucks when them after. They deserve to make it big, even if I'll miss them playing in little bars.

During their set, Danielle called out someone in the crowd who had been to their last show in Windsor a few years ago and he was one of the four people at it. This time around it was probably 50+ crammed into this bar, but totally agree I love these kinds of small intimate shows more than anything. I've only been to one 1k+ size venue this year, everything else has been like 300-ish capacity and probably most shows being like 20-50 people. It's just the perfect number for a show, not too crowded but still worth the bands time.

As for the album, I still can't decide which is my favorite, though Chains live was amazing and has been getting alot of plays.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

During their set, Danielle called out someone in the crowd who had been to their last show in Windsor a few years ago and he was one of the four people at it. This time around it was probably 50+ crammed into this bar, but totally agree I love these kinds of small intimate shows more than anything. I've only been to one 1k+ size venue this year, everything else has been like 300-ish capacity and probably most shows being like 20-50 people. It's just the perfect number for a show, not too crowded but still worth the bands time.

As for the album, I still can't decide which is my favorite, though Chains live was amazing and has been getting alot of plays.

My favourite DR experience was in the middle of a 1k venue in Vancouver (Commodore Ballroom), she recognized me immediately in the middle of the dancing throng, and mid-song worked her way into the crowd over to me to give me a hug. They're just such fantastic people, I can't wait to see them in like 2.5 weeks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Astrochicken posted:

this is the least-insufferable negative pitchfork review I've ever read. i have enjoyed listening to Greta Van Fleet's music but i didn't really expect more than some kids having fun making "old" sounding music

i don't know if i buy the main thesis though. the big music labels have been pushing nostalgia acts for decades. remember the "swing revival" with Brian Setzer and co?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Lutha Mahtin posted:

talk about a weird way to meet some rock legends :psyduck:

Well she had met them before but was too young to care. It was just an insane thing for me to hear (the funeral was long before I met her)

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Astrochicken posted:

Hahaha this review rules and even made me listen to the album, so in that sense it's an excellent advertisement.

But I agree with them, everything about this bands feels conceived in an A&R boardroom.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah it never really tops that opening line, but it is a hell of an opening line. Gotta tip my hat.

quote:

Greta Van Fleet sound like they did weed exactly once, called the cops, and tried to record a Led Zeppelin album before they arrested themselves.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Do y'all really hate Greta that much? I feel like they're fine.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Do y'all really hate Greta that much? I feel like they're fine.

But what do they do that wasn’t done better by zeppelin? They aren’t really bringing anything to the equation

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i never said they brought anything to that equation. i have always just approached their music as some Generation Z kids having fun playing rock music. are they good? important? groundbreaking? well i certainly don't make any claim on those points

also i think the comparison to Zeppelin is played out

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I listened to the album per the review and I hear early Rush, that period before 2112 where they were aping zep but also writing songs about the elves from lord of the rings, only without the virtuosic drumming and bass playing. Not bad, but just sorta whatever.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I feel like most of their criticism came after an interview where the person asked how big of an influence Zeppelin was for them, and they got chastised for saying it wasn’t really their main goal. It’s poor form to ask a question that is leading to a certain answer, and citing Zeppelin’s influences as their own is certainly the right move, but that got lost because everyone just wanted to read a headline saying “Band that sounds just like Led Zeppelin doesn’t think they were trying to be Led Zeppelin”.

Overall I think they’re fine and have a lot of potential. They can be a huge rock band if they play their cards right. Pitchfork writing about them is done solely to clown on them since the target audience for a band like Greta Van Fleet spends zero time on their site. The people I know who dunk on them the most all never shut up about Death Grips or Swans and I don’t know what I prefer to be honest.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I think the public meeting The Heartless Bastards during Friday Night Lights is a better classic rock knockoff band then Greta Van Fleet

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
greta van fleet is pretty drat boring. Like why not just listen to Led Zeppelin instead lmao

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i never said they brought anything to that equation. i have always just approached their music as some Generation Z kids having fun playing rock music. are they good? important? groundbreaking? well i certainly don't make any claim on those points

also i think the comparison to Zeppelin is played out

You can't be loving serious. I put on their new album yesterday and literally every single song was essentially a cover song of a led zeppelin track. Every single song on the album was like this.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 24, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

greta van fleet is pretty drat boring. Like why not just listen to Led Zeppelin instead lmao

You can't be loving serious. I put on their new album yesterday and literally every single song was essentially a cover song of a led zeppelin track. Every single song on the album was like this.

i really honestly don't think there is a better response to this post than to say i'm sorry you have bad ears and failed out of music class

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

bows1 posted:

But what do they do that wasn't done better by zeppelin? They aren't really bringing anything to the equation
The mix is actually much better than Zep's tinny seventies sound.

Also lmao that Black Sabbath gets to have two entire genres of imitators but Zep fans get mad when some kids try to have fun.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There is a lot more to doom and stoner than Sabbath imitation but the Sabbath imitators don't pretend to be more than that and aren't appointed saviors of metal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Siivola posted:

The mix is actually much better than Zep's tinny seventies sound.

Also lmao that Black Sabbath gets to have two entire genres of imitators but Zep fans get mad when some kids try to have fun.

I have no issue with kids wanting to have fun but their entire purpose is to mimic Zep. Like... Not inspired by... Completely ripping them off. So I can see how people find it enjoyable (I dont mind it) but it's absolutely fair game to call it out for what it is.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
[Insert Mike Patton Wolfmother dot mov]

But yeah, that's the best Pitchfork review since the one of the Jet album that was nothing but a video of a chimp drinking its own piss straight from its dick

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BonoMan posted:

I have no issue with kids wanting to have fun but their entire purpose is to mimic Zep. Like... Not inspired by... Completely ripping them off. So I can see how people find it enjoyable (I dont mind it) but it's absolutely fair game to call it out for what it is.

you should never take a music history or art history class then, because your brain would probably explode

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you should never take a music history or art history class then, because your brain would probably explode

you really dont need to get so defensive about people making fun of the boomer bait that you enjoy

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well at least bring something new to the equation instead of ripping off the "haha led zep" meme. :v:

Here's a mild take: I unironically hope Greta makes it big and "kids playing granpa rock" becomes a real genre. I'm so used to modern compressed production that the classics always leave me cold.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

its hosed up that theres a band of presumably young people who decide to play music like led zeppelin instead of something cool

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Siivola posted:

Well at least bring something new to the equation instead of ripping off the "haha led zep" meme. :v:

actually it's against Internet Law section CLXIV to laugh at garbage posts if those posts are babbling on about something you like

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

i havent been able to get the phrase "half-baked boomer fetishism" out of my brain since reading that review. it's so perfect.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What point did you think you were making here? Yes artists have been ripped off through the ages. Doesn't somehow miraculously validate these guys and their 1:1 ripoff of Zep.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 25, 2018

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i really honestly don't think there is a better response to this post than to say i'm sorry you have bad ears and failed out of music class

sir you have brain damage

e: but yeah we get you're over 40+ years old and you love led zeppelin dude. is your other favorite band wolfmother? :allears:

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 25, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BonoMan posted:

What point did you think you were making here? Yes artists have been ripped off through the ages. Doesn't somehow miraculously validate these guys and their 1:1 ripoff of Zep.

didn't led zeppelin famously rip off a bunch of guys too

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A human heart posted:

didn't led zeppelin famously rip off a bunch of guys too

Yeah but we're not talking about cribbing a lyric or melody. We're talking about full blown mimicking. Song style, stage presence, vocals, delivery, clothes, everything.

They're trying to just basically be a Led Zeppelin reboot. And that's fine. Like i said I don't find it to be unlistenable... Let's just not pretend it's anything more than what it is.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Like the guy literally is trying to sound like Robert plant

All of their songs have every single Led Zeppelin stereotype in them. Like cmon dude when he sings “SWEEEET MOMMAAAA!!!” That is most definitely 100% just being Robert plant lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Alright, this argument about a band that’s not even indie is getting really tiresome already and your extremely petty reports about it are even worse so just drop it, please. I shouldn’t have encouraged it by contributing my own take. If you absolutely must slapfight about Greta Van Fleet do it in the hard rock thread.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
In other, uh, topics, I saw Dizzy last night at Subterranean (downstairs) and it was a tiny tiny show. It was neat to see the band from like three feet away, and I got my shirt signed by Katie.

And now, apparently, my daughter has said that she wants to see Girlpool. Which, I wasn't planning to go, but I may have to. Not a terrible sacrifice on my part.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
gently caress am I regretting not going to the Swearin' show in August :smith:

New album is so good. Old album is so good. They're touring Europe in spring, maybe we'll get a US tour in the summer or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I saw SYML tonight, absolutely amazing voice. Highly recommend if he's playing your area.