Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your opinion on Bowsette
This poll is closed.
Cool and good 84 0.02%
Thicc 465888 99.93%
Who? 21 0.00%
Weird as are the people that keep bringing this up 67 0.01%
Should be more muscular with green skin and red hair 74 0.02%
Hope she's announced for Smash 63 0.01%
Total: 466197 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Carney posted:

Yeah I'm not expecting it to go down in price at all, and I'm saving up for an engagement ring so maaaaaybe I shouldn't just buy games willy nilly especially when my backlog is:

Bloodborne
MGSV
Nier:A
Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Prey
Yakuza Kiwami

Probably More.

Please help me my family is dying.

this is an incredibly powerful backlog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Carney posted:

Yeah I'm not expecting it to go down in price at all, and I'm saving up for an engagement ring so maaaaaybe I shouldn't just buy games willy nilly especially when my backlog is:

Please help me my family is dying.

Spend more on video games

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Only games I've played in the last year+ have been Terraria, Streets of Rogue, Enter the Gungeon, and ADOM, along with a little Nuclear Throne, Darkwoods, and Black Mesa

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm extremely bad at clicking on bad guys heads so it takes a lot to make me like an fps and I don't think rdr2 is gonna do it, so I won't buy it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm ready to take today and file it straight into the garbage

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nowadays I like to buy new games even if I know I probably won't have time to sit down and fully finish them. So I play short sessions of various titles over long periods of time and then when a random weekend opens up when my gf is between projects or something then I stick to one of those titles and finish it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I am doing that with the rest of my week

But today is my one day off for the week and I got my game to run at 5pm after a direly needed massage appointment

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

LawfulWaffle posted:

Sorry to hear you are having a bad day. :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looper posted:

real gamer roll call, post your gamer stats

Retro: 7
RPG: 9
Online: 3
Anime: 2
Lives: 8
Game Collection: 59%

I'm a solid midlevel Top Trump card

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
As soon as I get to my pc I am sitting down with a couple of hours of Destiny 2. It is really pleasing me and I think this weekend (as I will only have PS4 access) I think I will try to finish God of War or Spider-Man. :D

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I might be more interested in RDR2 if 1) GTA Online hadn't been the only post-release content that GTA5 got (idk if this is even true but don't correct me tyvm) and 2) my entire memory of GTA5 Online wasn't waiting 15 minutes to finally connect to the online portion, doing half of one race and then getting disconnected and then repeating that for an hour or two.

like the focus on the online stuff just soured my whole opinion on Rockstar, but i guess it makes sense considering how much money it made them. The crunch hours thing is just icing on the cake

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m addicted to this stupid rear end boat crap in War Thunder somebody stop me

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

suuma posted:

I might be more interested in RDR2 if 1) GTA Online hadn't been the only post-release content that GTA5 got (idk if this is even true but don't correct me tyvm) and 2) my entire memory of GTA5 Online wasn't waiting 15 minutes to finally connect to the online portion, doing half of one race and then getting disconnected and then repeating that for an hour or two.

like the focus on the online stuff just soured my whole opinion on Rockstar, but i guess it makes sense considering how much money it made them. The crunch hours thing is just icing on the cake

Don't forget the long load times in between disconnects

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm in a real gaming coma

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I would prefer reviews for AAA games a few weeks after the game comes out. Give it time to breathe, to see if the gameplay is still engaging after trying to rush through the experience to get a 1000 word review out the door before release date.

e: And gently caress this poo poo
https://twitter.com/metacritic/status/1055419515045998593

What's wrong with EGM that they can't praise a game without feeding into gatekeeper mentalities. "If you don't play this game, you're not a real gamer." Get bent. "If you don't like westerns or cowboys or shooting people or horses then you can get right out of town because you just ain't a gamer. Gamers only here, friend, with the thing all gamers crave: simulated bar brawls and detailed equine testical physics. Yessir, you either love this game or you're not part of the club anymore, the cool club for gamers like those special folks who love being white guys with guns and the ability to escape the consequences of your actions. There is one type of gamer and they will buy and love this game."

I'm salty today about real things today so I'm gonna vent about petty poo poo, please don't judge.

I like westerns which is why I don't want to see rockstar gently caress them up with their stupid, insufferably awful writing like they did crime films in gta5

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/leftistthot420/status/1055349406130569216

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

corn in the bible posted:

I like westerns which is why I don't want to see rockstar gently caress them up with their stupid, insufferably awful writing like they did crime films in gta5

lol I am sure the writing in RDR2 will be fine--
https://twitter.com/GaryJKings/status/1055126264984543234

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you have a comfortable life and no convictions its really easy to just look at people shouting about politics and say "oh hm neither side is calm and composed like I am about this thing I intentionally avoid. They must all be bad." and it's the most infuriating poo poo

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

If you have a comfortable life and no convictions its really easy to just look at people shouting about politics and say "oh hm neither side is calm and composed like I am about this thing I intentionally avoid. They must all be bad." and it's the most infuriating poo poo
So its little surprise that most people that do this are straight, cisgender white dudes. (But they still tend to go to bat for the Nazis despite their so called "centrism")

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 25, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

And what's worse is even if you are going to try to both sides it, one side is clearly way more dangerous than the other (and also crazier, which I know some people don't like the use of that term but what other way exists to describe them?)

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Slant review goes into what you can expect from the writing.

quote:

The myth of society, the inherent cruelty of people, the hypocrisy of treating predatory capitalists as a more civilized class—every warmed-over western theme is presented here without an ounce of subtlety and conveyed in the broadest possible strokes. Questioning the myth of the western is, at this point, almost as old as the base mythologizing that the genre did for so long, which leaves nothing unique to the game’s genre introspection. Red Dead Redemption 2 is the most ambitious game Rockstar has put out, in how it wants to be about something as much as the scope of its open world, but its aspirations don’t go much further than transplanting the themes of better westerns into an incredibly long video game, where you don’t ruminate on those themes so much as bump into them every once in a while on a mission.

This whole Western 101 approach unsurprisingly comes with a ham-fisted grasp of politics. A woman eventually puts on a pair of pants, one character explains white privilege and why the people in the “southern” end of the map look at him funny, another says that Native Americans were—in what is at least acknowledged as being grossly reductive—“treated poorly,” and everyone generally contemplates the horrors of racism and the aftermath of slavery. And for hours upon hours, none of this injustice is explored in any real detail.

These detours into attempted social consciousness suffer from a similarly ridiculous into-the-camera bluntness before they’re pushed to the fringes of the larger story. It often feels as if Red Dead Redemption 2 is merely parroting what’s expected to be said when portraying such things, to show that the game at least recognizes what it’s portraying, so that it may sufficiently get away with rendering a town where the black folks live on the outskirts or having one character accuse another of loving slaves. Prejudice is given no more focus than as period-appropriate flavor, a patronizing tourism meant most of all to inform the myth of the white outlaw in a hypocritical society; at one point, Arthur makes a laughable statement to some Native American characters that goes something like, “The government don’t like me any more than they like you, and like you, my time here is nearly finished.” After all, if the white outlaw can no longer be free, then who truly is?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh, that's the review where I saw people were tweeting comments about "I have this guy's home address, let's let him know he's not appreciated"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This sounds like a game made by people who haven't actually seen or read very many westerns but think they know about the genre anyways from popculture.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GUI posted:

i would be absolutely flabbergasted if anyone upset about the score actually read the review itself

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

If it matters any, Jim Sterling thought RDR2 was refreshing compared to GTA5's tedious cynicism.

Still not buying it until it's sub-$30.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think I'm just going to redownload the not-actually-first game as a reminder.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't know, that's already above the expected writing subtlety in gaming. I'd like for games to have overall better writing but outside of a few indie titles (like the amazing Cart Life) I've never seen real life issues analyzed more thoroughly in the medium. Even the few games with genuinely good writing like The Witcher 3 excel more in the quality of dialogue and moment-to-moment storytelling rather than doing justice to more broad historical or social issues.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GUI posted:

this sort of hagiography was also in RDR1 and it doesn't seem like the kind of thing you can get away with more than once without becoming obnoxious

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Raxivace posted:

This sounds like a game made by people who haven't actually seen or read very many westerns but think they know about the genre anyways from popculture.
that would also be my description of rdr1

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

It's ironic considering that they clearly did in the first game because all three major areas of the game represent different eras of the genre in setting and tone, i.e. Armadillo is much like an original "black hats vs white hats" style western, Mexico is a more morally ambiguous spaghetti western with not much in the way of heroes, and Blackwater is a revisionist Western ala Unforgiven.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Raxivace posted:

Tbf I think this describes the majority of their audience too, hence the universal acclaim

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

RDR1 was as tonedeaf if not more. It's not an argument for not having to improve though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GraveVideos posted:

RDR1 was as tonedeaf if not more. It's not an argument for not having to improve though.
Eh, I admit its been a while since I played through RDR, but I don't recall it ever actually punching down unlike a lot of the rest of Rockstar's "satire".

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

So before when I talked about annoying poo poo and baggage and hoop-leaping in games exhausting me and leaving me the desire for a game that is just turn-on-play-go, this is some of the kind of crap I was talking about. I read all this stuff and it leaves me dead cold to wanting to bother with RDR2.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Eh, I admit its been a while since I played through RDR, but I don't recall it ever actually punching down unlike a lot of the rest of Rockstar's "satire".
you need to play rdr1 again. or better yet, dont

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

you need to play rdr1 again. or better yet, dont
I mean I still remember a good deal about the game because one its of my favorites and the only part of the game I remember that's a bit iffy is Mexico but I remember it being more portrayed less as "both sides are equally bad" and more of fitting the bleaker spaghetti western feel. Reyes is poo poo, but the game never mocks the true believers in his cause from what I remember, its sympathetic to them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I mean I remember enough about the game because one its of my favorites and the only part of the game I remember that's a bit iffy is Mexico but I remember it being more portrayed less as "both sides are equally bad" and more of fitting the bleaker spaghetti western feel. Reyes is poo poo, but the game never mocks the true believers in his cause from what I remember, its sympathetic to them.

the woman representative of his "true believers" is presented as a moon-eyed naif incapable of thinking outside of slogans who gets unceremoniously gunned down trying to rush armed soldiers with a kitchen knife

as you said it's a little more appropriate than usual giving the setting but it's still definitely in the housers' southpark esque "lol if you care about anything" milieu

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean they probably made the right decision, great writing would be wasted on a playerbase that doesn't even read reviews before bringing the knives out for anyone not indulging their preconceptions

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
with that said RDR's general misanthropy at least feels like it had some kind of aim beyond braindead attempts at comedy, because all of the decent people in the game getting left behind or shot dead feels less like a punchline and more like they're part of an ever-mounting pile of casualties created by the world's older unthinking cruelties and its newer cold and institutionalized ones, the latter of which finally rises up to claim marston himself at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

the woman representative of his "true believers" is presented as a moon-eyed naif incapable of thinking outside of slogans who gets unceremoniously gunned down trying to rush armed soldiers with a kitchen knife

as you said it's a little more appropriate than usual giving the setting but it's still definitely in the housers' southpark esque "lol if you care about anything" milieu
I can see that, but considering the overall themes of the game I'd think I can give them the benefit of the doubt of it being more of a "corrupt authority destroys the lives of good people".

Oxxidation posted:

with that said RDR's general misanthropy at least feels like it had some kind of aim beyond braindead attempts at comedy, because all of the decent people in the game getting left behind or shot dead feels less like a punchline and more like they're part of an ever-mounting pile of casualties created by the world's older unthinking cruelties and its newer cold and institutionalized ones, the latter of which finally rises up to claim marston himself at the end
Also this.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 25, 2018

• Locked thread