Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Giving Gengar psychic is just another example of Niantic never listening to players.

PathAsc posted:

I meant the 9% squish they have given to a few legendaries for balance bs.

I mean what they did to Mewtwo, Ho oh, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza was an intentional nerf. They made exceptions to the stat conversion formula to lower their HP.

But what happened with Giratana is completely different. They mistakenly uploaded the wrong base stats entirely, using the Origin forme numbers instead of the Altered forme.

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't understand "formes" because I never actually played a real Pokemon game past Heartgold. Are they subspecies of Pokemon like male/female Pikachus or Sneasels? Can a Pokemon change what "forme" it's in like it's a combat stance or I dunno Autobot transformation?

A forme is any difference within a species. It could be appearance, type, stats, moves learned, or ability(these aren't in GO yet). Some forms are persistant/unchangeable, like Alola forms (ie. an alolan vulpix will never be fire type) but some are changeable. For example in the main series, an individual castform will become a different type based on the weather. Niantic hasn't implemented this though, so I wouldn't expect them to do it for Giratina either. In the main games it changes with a hold item (a feature not included in GO).

This page goes into more detail: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_with_form_differences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pomplamoose posted:

I mean what they did to Mewtwo, Ho oh, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza was an intentional nerf. They made exceptions to the stat conversion formula to lower their HP.

That's what I was referring to as well, the stats from the oopsie they did wasn't what I meant. The intentional nerfs are awful.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah I'm not gonna bother with the Gengar raids but I'm sure lots of people will still be trying for a shiny.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My younger kid loves Gengar. I'll go raid for him.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

Niantic trolls Pokémon go players so well lmao

No kidding.

I don’t give a poo poo what moves my guys have. I attack with the default whatever it gives me and just mash attack the whole time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I’ve completely destroyed my entire inventory of berries so a big raid day is just what I need to get back up and the chance of a shiny is a nice bonus. Wish it was a better move but I’m happy either way.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

My gotcha caught me a shiny Bulbasaur yesterday and shiny Swablu last week :D

RE Gengar: I love Gengar and was pleased to hear about the shiny chance but was ruined by the it being another sucky "barely any different for normal" shiny

Seriously what's even the loving point? Why not make him black or white or ANY OTHER COLOUR instead of a slightly different shade of purple thats barely even noticeable.

Also does this mean wild gastly be shiny now? or is it only Gengar and only in the raids?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dragonstoned posted:

RE Gengar: I love Gengar and was pleased to hear about the shiny chance but was ruined by the it being another sucky "barely any different for normal" shiny

Seriously what's even the loving point? Why not make him black or white or ANY OTHER COLOUR instead of a slightly different shade of purple thats barely even noticeable.

Also does this mean wild gastly be shiny now? or is it only Gengar and only in the raids?

It's a relic of early shinies just being palette swaps. Like each color had a number and the shinies back then was just the color number +1 or something like that. Hence boring gray Gengar and vomit Dragonite.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
old gen shiny pokemon are mostly like that, it's a bummer but one you'd have to go back a few decades to correct

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dragonstoned posted:

My only shiny since Sapphire on GBA is a Haunter from Moon and yeah it blows.

Still got my shiny Aggron though. That's a pretty great shiny.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dragonstoned posted:

It'll pay off whenever they get around to mega evolution.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Mustached Demon posted:

It's a relic of early shinies just being palette swaps. Like each color had a number and the shinies back then was just the color number +1 or something like that. Hence boring gray Gengar and vomit Dragonite.

They should have taken "Pokemon: Lets Go" as a chance to give the gen 1 shinies an update

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Anyone else noticing gifts aren't giving out as many berries lately?

I'm getting everything but berries, which I need for this stupid quest, but every gift is coming with stardust

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

X13Fen posted:

Anyone else noticing gifts aren't giving out as many berries lately?

I'm getting everything but berries, which I need for this stupid quest, but every gift is coming with stardust

I was wondering if it was just me. It's probably one of those observer effects where it only seems like that because we're actually paying attention.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Maybe, but it could be a real thing. The other day I opened 20 gifts and only got three berries.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's looking like this Sunday is the Pokemon Go "sit around and do nothing" day. Getting no walk distance all day, and minimal login time. A natural way for goons to tell Niantic to go gently caress themselves.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Aquagremlin if you see this we're about to hit three hearts. I don't have lucky eggs so feel free to just open my gift whenever is more convenient for you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is anyone else getting some of their notifications in Japanese now?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

Is anyone else getting some of their notifications in Japanese now?

I got one in Japanese but then it republished a few hours later in English so I figured it was just a mistake

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

It's looking like this Sunday is the Pokemon Go "sit around and do nothing" day. Getting no walk distance all day, and minimal login time. A natural way for goons to tell Niantic to go gently caress themselves.

What? What’s the relevance of this Sunday?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Even if you don’t care about this gengar raid: 5 free raid passes. Worth it to be out and raiding during those hours imo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Stupid question time. What's so great about Shadow Claw Gengar?

I admit I barely pay attention to who has what moves. When I raid I mostly just mash whatever pops up on the "recommended" list, and call it a day. I do pretty all right, all the same. My problem with doing the tougher raids is absolutely not winning the battle, it's catching the drat thing. Most of the legendaries I've picked up have been from the monthly research quests. I do have three Mewtwos, though, so that's nice. None of them have Shadow Ball and apparently that's the Holy Grail too?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hang on, this stupid old Gengar I still have lying around from July 2016 is actually good for something?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
It does pretty great damage compared to it's other moves. It's pretty worthless without it.

If you're in a big enough group, autoselect will be fine, because almost anything is fine when there is overwhelming firepower and numbers. It often means you're hardly contributing to the raid though, and potentially getting less balls and rewards, in an already smaller reward pool, due to there being more people. This is why you don't catch the boss, you don't have enough balls to have a high chance.

Most of the people I raid with all tend to optimize their attackers at least somewhat, since we generally have smaller groups and can't finish otherwise. My kids and I can take out giratina with 3 of us easily because we just use Mewtwo and dragons. We all get 15+ balls and is almost a guaranteed catch at that point.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Silver Falcon posted:

Stupid question time. What's so great about Shadow Claw Gengar?

Shadow Claw deals roughly 50% more damage than the currently available best fast move Hex. 12.86dps vs 8.33dps. It’s the difference between Gengar being worth using and just taking up space.

If you have Shadow Claw Gengar he’s a powerful glass cannon. Without it, he barely qualifies as a glass squirt gun.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I beg to differ - the game has repeatedly assured me that Focus Blast Gengar is the very best at everything Aggron isn't the best at. :v:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Comrade Koba posted:

Hang on, this stupid old Gengar I still have lying around from July 2016 is actually good for something?

He's one of the highest DPS attackers in the game, so he's an interesting collector's piece. But he's made out of wet paper, so getting hit by any charge move ever isn't really an option. If you know what you're going up against and that you can dodge it, he's great, but if not, it's almost as good to just bring any type-advantaged attacker with bulk.

I have one at level 30 and he's not worth stressing about having/not having imo, but given that people love/want him and most people are not skilled enough to take advantage of his dps anyway, it WOULD have been the perfect thing to do on a raid day to make people happy without doing anything to the gym meta. Niantic is dumb.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Hex/Shadow Ball Gengar is still a good attacker and worth using. It dies quickly but does a lot of damage, which is what counts when you're up against the clock.

Also I broke down and bought the sweet Gengar hat. I tried to resist...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Beastyfella posted:

It does pretty great damage compared to it's other moves. It's pretty worthless without it.

If you're in a big enough group, autoselect will be fine, because almost anything is fine when there is overwhelming firepower and numbers. It often means you're hardly contributing to the raid though, and potentially getting less balls and rewards, in an already smaller reward pool, due to there being more people. This is why you don't catch the boss, you don't have enough balls to have a high chance.

Most of the people I raid with all tend to optimize their attackers at least somewhat, since we generally have smaller groups and can't finish otherwise. My kids and I can take out giratina with 3 of us easily because we just use Mewtwo and dragons. We all get 15+ balls and is almost a guaranteed catch at that point.

Huh... I didn't know that. I still kind of suck at throwing the balls. I can get Great Curveballs consistently on a legendary, but they break out of them so easily. I also use the Golden Razz Berries. I usually wind up with a dozen or so balls to work with? I've caught 2 Mewtwos. Haven't tried Giratina yet.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Xinder posted:

Even if you don’t care about this gengar raid: 5 free raid passes. Worth it to be out and raiding during those hours imo.

Assuming it's the same format as the legendary bird days: It'll be 5 free passes given out at the time that Gengar's on every gym, one at a time. So you can't really take the 5 free passes and use them for anything else, the best you can get is 1 free pass for other raids.

I'll be doing it because a) it's worth it for the XP, and b) Gengar is one of my favourites from Gen 1. I'm a bit disappointed that it's not Shadow Claw (mainly because I probably had one in the early days and threw it away knowing no better), and moreso that the shiny basically indistinguishable. But if I end up with a shiny I'll probably splurge on maxing it anyway..

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

dwarf74 posted:

I beg to differ - the game has repeatedly assured me that Focus Blast Gengar is the very best at everything Aggron isn't the best at. :v:

Good at beating.. aggron!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I love Aron and think Aggron is a cool bad rear end kaiju guy so I collected and evolved a bunch and now all the game recommends is a team of six Aggron.

Blissey? Aggron.
Gengar? Aggron.
Blaziken? Motherfucking six Aggron.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My first 100 IV was a hatched Aron. I just got enough candy yesterday to evolve him to Aggron. I look forward to trolling the try-hards with him in the local Discord server.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I know someone who refuses to ever heal her Aggrons, because she's so tired of the game recommending them. Poor little Kaiju.

Fyrbrand posted:

My first 100 IV was a hatched Aron. I just got enough candy yesterday to evolve him to Aggron. I look forward to trolling the try-hards with him in the local Discord server.

"First?" I've never seen one. I don't believe they exist in my version of the game.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Looks like London gets 6 unown for a little while. Enjoy! I need to figure out what email to send a request for an event in our area.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Unsinkabear posted:

I know someone who refuses to ever heal her Aggrons, because she's so tired of the game recommending them. Poor little Kaiju.

"First?" I've never seen one. I don't believe they exist in my version of the game.

"First and only 100" would be more accurate, heh. I've got a lucky 98% Gyarados and and 98% Gengar who are my beautiful pokeman sons though.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Who here is Plateialumitar? We hit Ultra friends and i'm coordinating to hit it with two of my besties tomorrow. I'll give you a heads up a few minutes before.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Getting people to use the right stuff at raids is like trying to get people to vote. There's a huge amount of people who can make a difference (in the case of PoGo, faster raids, less deaths, actually winning) but most of them are put off by the minimal effort it takes.

In the case of this game, I just wonder why people want to get better Pokemon in the first place if they don't care about using them. For the people who just wanna collect and do one-and-done on new legendaries? That's fine. But frequent players I see that go "Eh, I dunno, I just use the recommended teams" I'm thinking, why play then? I mean look at the stats on vs. Mewtwo:

Literal garbage mon you catch off the streets do more damage than Aggron.

Dragonstoned posted:

People gotta remember gen 1 shinies are using Game Boy Color palettes at best and that's still only 8-bit. Most of them are inspired by the puke green palette of the original brick Game Boy.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Huh... I didn't know that. I still kind of suck at throwing the balls. I can get Great Curveballs consistently on a legendary, but they break out of them so easily. I also use the Golden Razz Berries. I usually wind up with a dozen or so balls to work with? I've caught 2 Mewtwos. Haven't tried Giratina yet.

If you usually have 12 balls, use golden razzberries, and consistently get great curveballs, you should be catching around 75% of legendary raid bosses (a little more if it's a smaller circle and less if it's a larger circle). If you're not, your throws probably aren't as consistent as you think. If you're not using the circle lock trick and throwing only during attacks, you should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Brother just bought a Gotcha, and is having issues pairing it. Aside from "forget the device and re-pair it", were there any other steps in getting it to work? Mine worked like a charm... for now, so I don't really know what other debug steps there were. He also updated it via the gotcha app.

Also, is a barely 50ish IV legacy shadow claw shadow ball gengar worth powering up, over a theoretical 80+ hex shadow ball gengar?