Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ZeButler posted:

To move away from this Salmon Run conversation that has gotten out of hand, what would be the funniest topic they could use for the next Splatfest? For me, I think it would be "Left vs. Right" with absolutely no context given.

Well, then it would make sense for the less popular option to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
One horse sized duck vs 100 duck sized horses, and the whole splatfest announcement is Pearl and Marina speculating what horses and ducks are, but they still have really strong opinions

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You could do a Thanksgiving vs Christmas

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Opening presents on Christmas Day vs Boxing Day.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Christmas decorations in November vs. Halloween decorations in November.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Lil Judd vs Judd

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Lil Judd wins that one in a landslide.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

jetpackhewy posted:

Lil Judd vs Judd

Crawfish posted:

Lil Judd wins that one in a landslide.

This is how we can know who's fixing the matches. Book 'em, boys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Skub vs Anti-Skub.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Sunni vs. Shi'ite

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

vi vs emacs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Now that's what I call a holy war!

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Hotdog is/is not a sandwich.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Skub vs Anti-Skub.

I was thinking of the same thing. You best be Pro-Skub or we'll have words.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
rear end vs Tits

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I could go for a nice refreshing jar of skub right now

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

After plowing through 7 S+s of Clam Blitz, the 52. gal has decided to just have poo poo hitreg. Maybe it's only good depending on what time of day you play; so I switched back to Luna blaster for now.

https://twitter.com/LogothX/status/1056242105868214272

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Another details question, did anybody ever figure out how exactly your rank changes in X. Winning today is giving me like 5 points where in the past it gave me like 15-20. And the matches aren't outside my MMR or anything, theyve been equivalent or higher. Is it because it's the end of the month? Do they taper rank changes like that the longer the ranked period lasts?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

rear end vs Tits

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Irony vs. Sincerity

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

In Training posted:

Another details question, did anybody ever figure out how exactly your rank changes in X. Winning today is giving me like 5 points where in the past it gave me like 15-20. And the matches aren't outside my MMR or anything, theyve been equivalent or higher. Is it because it's the end of the month? Do they taper rank changes like that the longer the ranked period lasts?

The game is trying to narrow in on your true skill level. It becomes more confident of what that number is the more games you play. This is done through a rating deviation value that decreases over time.

Here is probably the best write-up on it as it pertains to Splatoon 2:
https://oatmealdome.me/blog/an-in-depth-look-at-the-splatoon-2-ranking-system

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Has the game been ridiculously laggy for anyone this weekend? 30% of my games has had someone disconnect midway through the game, and people are teleporting / phasing through bullets.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kidfresca posted:

The game is trying to narrow in on your true skill level. It becomes more confident of what that number is the more games you play. This is done through a rating deviation value that decreases over time.

Cool, this is a better and more detailed answer than I was expecting! Good write up.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

incorrect inkjet usage - when its 15 seconds into wave 1:

https://giant.gfycat.com/BelatedReliableAbyssiniancat.webm

correct inkjet usage - when your crew has been faffing about with a bunch of steelheads for far too long:

https://giant.gfycat.com/LavishWatchfulBadger.webm

kidfresca posted:

its interesting that ranks for S and S+0 actually vary between regions. i mean besides that point the other ranks arent actually different from each other but anecdotally i find when playing turf war when 99% of my lobby is japanese the S+ there are way tougher than the S+ i fight during splatfests when its region-based

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Six kills with one Ink Jet? Very nice. It's a shame those Stingers were replaced almost immediately.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

thanks yeah in retrospect i could have maybe gone down the central beach first, activate my inkjet there, take out the bosses from across the water and use my seventh shot for the spawning tower but at least it took some pressure off my crew. those steelheads tho, on low tide they can be a real pain without a charger

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Introducing the "Ultra Seal" (name subject to change)

October is coming to a close, and thus a new set of weapons are to be released. We don't know what the sets are, but we know some will feature this special.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1056833423224954880
Hammer thru the lines and do a final throw of aggression at the end.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it happened. i got octo expansion which instantly reminded be that I forget how fun splatting is (despite my never making it a habit vs just going on splat benders and then rediscovering that its a bonkers amount of fun rinse rinse repeat etc)

point being, I met the "nintendo online required!" message for the first time

:negative:

ghost of iwata, you win again

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Introducing the "Ultra Seal" (name subject to change)

October is coming to a close, and thus a new set of weapons are to be released. We don't know what the sets are, but we know some will feature this special.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1056833423224954880
Hammer thru the lines and do a final throw of aggression at the end.

Can I just have that instead of a Roller? :stwoon:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Just a heads up: Version 4.2 with the new special and weapon sets will not arrive this week, but they've pushed it to next week, on November 7th in Japan.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What in tarnation.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Localization came out with the info. Name of the special is Ultra Stamp.

It can even block attacks from the front!

quote:

We just uncovered more details about an upcoming new special weapon! The Ultra Stamp lets players attack with an enormous hammer. Pressing and holding the ZR Button allows you to advance while striking with the hammer! It looks like you can guard ink attacks coming from the front, but your back is exposed.

If you press the ZR button while you’re in the air, the Ultra Stamp will flip vertically so you can attack opponents mid-air. You can also throw the stamp with the R button to attack a distant opponent! Of course, throwing away your special weapon will end your attack.

First we got Inkstrike, now we get Kraken! :getin:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't want the updates to end!!'

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

I don't want the updates to end!!'

:yeah:

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
Even if it blocks from the front, you’re still going to be vulnerable as poo poo from the back and sides. Wonder if it’s going to come with armor like the Booyah bomb or if you’ll just have to be really aware.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

:yeah:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

cant wait to snipe some gaogaigar cosplayers

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://twitter.com/gatto_norimaki/status/1056836564167225345?s=09

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just played with someone that seemed to be turning their stingray beams impossibly fast. What's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If they jumped back to spawn and you're talking like...Port or a longer shaped map nah they can really swing them now a days that way.