Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

does it have the treasure hunt locations? I don't feel like reading these maps

Maybe but just type the map into google and you can find 30 articles about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I feel like I'm missing something--I keep failing to get "Complete the mission without using any health items". Do I auto-use items or something??

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
You can pet dogs.
GOTY.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Just FYI you can sprint around the river banks, find toads, and kick them like tiny, warty soccer balls. I call it Kermit Punting.

Also you can pat dogs but not cats? This is bullshit

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Soonmot posted:

Does bringing back a body matter if you have the meat in your inventory from skinning?

If you leave the body on your horse and go to Pearson you can donate the entire body. It'll be like the last item of the donatable things.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What happened to Sadie Adler?

I saw her in the main camp once early in the game and talked to her, but she has since completely disappeared from camp.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Slanderer posted:

I feel like I'm missing something--I keep failing to get "Complete the mission without using any health items". Do I auto-use items or something??

I think it counts food as a health item, but even then I feel like I've failed this one just by getting close to death and then having health regen kick in. The time limit one also kills me, because even with my horse going full sprint some of them seem borderline impossible (unless you get super sprinty horses later on and are meant to replay these, I guess).

And since no one reads the last post on a page:

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, did anyone keep the big black horse instead of selling it during that early Hosea mission to unlock the stables? I did it just to see the variety of horses they had but having seen one since. I like the idea of riding a big fuckoff horse that towers over everyone else's, even if it's a little slower or something.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

If you leave the body on your horse and go to Pearson you can donate the entire body. It'll be like the last item of the donatable things.

I've been doing that, I was just wondering if the body did something more since you can only carry 1 big corpse and 2 small ones on the horse. I just feel weird leaving skinned carcasses littering the landscape

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I think it counts food as a health item, but even then I feel like I've failed this one just by getting close to death and then having health regen kick in. The time limit one also kills me, because even with my horse going full sprint some of them seem borderline impossible (unless you get super sprinty horses later on and are meant to replay these, I guess).

And since no one reads the last post on a page:

I kept the big horse and I really loved him and then a lawman shot it and it died and now my horse is dumb and I hate it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Maybe it's just health regen, then. Which kinda sucks, but whatever.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

goferchan posted:

There definitely are. Still in chapter 2 but there's a mission involving the captive you find in the prologue which I assume never happens if you chose to kill him, and then another mission that I ignored for a while until the quest giver told me not to bother anymore because he did the job himself. I like it, honestly, it's pretty ballsy to put content like that in a game that some players are never even gonna see.

Wait, which captive?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As much as I wanted to play this without minimap/gps bullshit, the compass kind of sucks. I'm playing on a 1080p tv, sitting 6 feet away on a couch, and the thing is so goddamn small I can't read the N, S, E, W, they all just look like black blips, so it's pretty much useless unless it's pointing at an active objective or something.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I've been playing this game for 2 days now and I still loving hit the change camera button to try and bring up the map.

Seriously Rockstar, what were you thinking there?

The first person in this game is only good when you are playing one of the mini games like poker or dominoes.

I tried riding with it once and it was loving horrible. I haven't really tried walking around in it, but I don't think I would want to after trying it with the horse.

I mean it's a nice feature and all (although I don't know why they use 3 third person camera angles that are literally just a few feet apart), but it's not a loving feature that needed to use the biggest loving button on the god drat PS4 controller simply because it's not going to be used nearly as much as the loving map/menu. I don't know why it bothers me so much. I think I have a pet peeve about bad button decisions.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

As much as I wanted to play this without minimap/gps bullshit, the compass kind of sucks. I'm playing on a 1080p tv, sitting 6 feet away on a couch, and the thing is so goddamn small I can't read the N, S, E, W, they all just look like black blips, so it's pretty much useless unless it's pointing at an active objective or something.

You can make it use a bigger mini map. Hold down on the D-Pad and then a menu will pop up asking what size you want the minimap. Choose expanded.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

They're usually hyperbolic jabs but.... in this case, I'd say they're correct. The Xbox One X version is the definitive version.

Im playing on a PS4 Slim and a 1080 TV. The Game looks beatiful ,

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

thanks

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo:

And I just found another dumb nitpicky thing that I can't believe a design team would miss.

Ok, so if you change your mini map to just a compass, it shrinks and blacks out the minimap, but you can't actually tell which direction you are going via the compass because the loving letters marking the compass are black and the compass sits in the lower left hand corner of the screen which is always going to have the ground behind it, so it's almost always going to be dark there.

So you literally can't tell which direction you are headed if you use the compass mode. Like all they had to do was change the NESW letters in the compass to white when it changed the rest to black and it would have been fine.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

Also, I've been playing this game for 2 days now and I still loving hit the change camera button to try and bring up the map.

The first person in this game is only good when you are playing one of the mini games like poker or dominoes.

I tried riding with it once and it was loving horrible. I haven't really tried walking around in it, but I don't think I would want to after trying it with the horse.

I mean it's a nice feature and all (although I don't know why they use 3 third person camera angles that are literally just a few feet apart), but it's not a loving feature that needed to use the biggest loving button on the god drat PS4 controller simply because it's not going to be used nearly as much as the loving map/menu. I don't know why it bothers me so much. I think I have a pet peeve about bad button decisions.

First person is great for looting houses too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Slanderer posted:

Wait, which captive?

There's that surviving O'Driscoll guy in the first chapter, can't you choose whether to kill him or take him captive? Maybe I'm misremembering and you don't have the option to take him with you, it was like 2 in the morning after the midnight launch when I played that part

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Romes128 posted:

First person is great for looting houses too

I haven't found it necessary to loot anything, but I could see how it could come in handy there.

However, I still stand by my statement that the map/menu should have used the big PS4 button and the change camera should have used the option button or just been changed from the menu.

Also, they did NOT need 3 different third person camera angles that are only slightly different.

edit - I mean seriously, just think about how nice it would be if you could just open up the map just by pressing the biggest button on the PS4 controller.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Soonmot posted:

I've been doing that, I was just wondering if the body did something more since you can only carry 1 big corpse and 2 small ones on the horse. I just feel weird leaving skinned carcasses littering the landscape

fun fact if you do that it will attract birds to feast on the corpse! useful if you want to collect feathers for crafting

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

goferchan posted:

There's that surviving O'Driscoll guy in the first chapter, can't you choose whether to kill him or take him captive? Maybe I'm misremembering and you don't have the option to take him with you, it was like 2 in the morning after the midnight launch when I played that part

no he always lives, you insta-fail if you kill him

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Agreed. If I could just turn off first person except for mini games, and make the touch pad right side the map I'd be much happier. If you don't know you can open the map by holding Options (not sure if this is actually said in the game or not).

I don't actually open the map much now that I have the companion app since I can set waypoints in that, though.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr E posted:

Agreed. If I could just turn off first person except for mini games, and make the touch pad right side the map I'd be much happier. If you don't know you can open the map by holding Options (not sure if this is actually said in the game or not).

I don't actually open the map much now that I have the companion app since I can set waypoints in that, though.

I know holding the options will bring up the map, but that's still irritating because I have to hit and hold a tiny little button as opposed to hitting the biggest loving button on the PS4 that instead contains the most useless loving option in the game as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm sorry, but I am not adding a companion app to my phone. I honestly think that's loving stupid and I hated it on that pirate Assassins Creed game too.

They put a loving map in the game, so I don't want to have to look at my phone in order to look at the map. Why would I want to try to navigate around using a little 5"x3" screen when I have a loving 60 inch television I could be using?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You can turn off headbob for first person in the settings, if that helps.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVu6CWpNrh4

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can anyone tell me what settings to change to make the aiming controls as close to the way CoD does it as possible? So it's free aim with sort of sticky autoaim when you hover over an enemy. I know it won't be as responsive because CoD is 60fps, but it'll be better than what happens now where my crosshair swings wildly all over the screen.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So what are the best ways to raise your moral? I usually play as a goody two shoes but getting negative moral is really easy in this game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and one last nitpick. I wish pulling back on the left stick would stop your horse. It's completely intuitive and makes sense that pulling back on the reins would stop your horse. But no, in order to completely stop your horse, you have to press/hold the R1 button.

Man is that just irritating.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
fist person is ok if you turn the dead zone to zero, i muck around in that mode sometimes

it's not quite overwatch in its responsiveness but it does the job generally

Qubee
May 31, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

I won't argue that but it's not exactly constantly with this. It tends to happen in spurts, like I'll play for 6 hours with no issues and then I'll have an hour of that kind of bullshit.

same exact poo poo happens to me, when the game is being good, it's incredibly good. but then all of a sudden, things take a swing and nonstop bullshit keeps happening. I've personally never had people get angry at me for blocking them, and the few times it does happen, I defuse and move out the way and it turns out okay. you might be super slow with your reaction times which is why they're popping you full of holes.

but yeah, it's so frustrating when lovely things keep happening that feel out of your control. I've ragequit the game a fair few times even though I'm so in the mood to play it. the random bullshit just ruins it.

Soonmot posted:

Does bringing back a body matter if you have the meat in your inventory from skinning?

if I'm heading back to the trapper anyways, I'll load a skinned animal onto the back if there's nothing else there, but now that I think about it, I don't actually see the carcass for sale, it's always just the pelts. so I think taking a skinned carcass with you only helps if you're donating it to the camp. a carcass doesn't show in the sell menu if you've skinned it already.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bardeh posted:

Can anyone tell me what settings to change to make the aiming controls as close to the way CoD does it as possible? So it's free aim with sort of sticky autoaim when you hover over an enemy. I know it won't be as responsive because CoD is 60fps, but it'll be better than what happens now where my crosshair swings wildly all over the screen.

What you need to do is start letting go of L2 and then using it again. It should cause you to retarget on the closest person to the reticle. However, you can't be too far away from someone or it will just target in on the reticle.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney posted:

So what are the best ways to raise your moral? I usually play as a goody two shoes but getting negative moral is really easy in this game.

Greet everyone you meet, do chores in camp, help strangers, donate cash, items and provisions to the gang.

Edit:

Qubee posted:

if I'm heading back to the trapper anyways, I'll load a skinned animal onto the back if there's nothing else there, but now that I think about it, I don't actually see the carcass for sale, it's always just the pelts. so I think taking a skinned carcass with you only helps if you're donating it to the camp. a carcass doesn't show in the sell menu if you've skinned it already.

He'll pay good money for the legendary carcasses, so don't leave them behind. Haven't tried it with normals though.

Runaway Legs fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 28, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TMMadman posted:

So you literally can't tell which direction you are headed if you use the compass mode. Like all they had to do was change the NESW letters in the compass to white when it changed the rest to black and it would have been fine.

i'm pretty sure your brightness settings are hosed, cause I've used the compass a couple times just to check it out and I never ran into this problem. the cardinal directions were always easy to see.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TMMadman posted:

You can make it use a bigger mini map. Hold down on the D-Pad and then a menu will pop up asking what size you want the minimap. Choose expanded.

I know that. I don't want a mini map. I want a compass that I can read so I can pretend to be a cowboy and not a dude using Waze to get around everywhere. Compasses aren't really functional if you can't read at least which direction is north. The compass is one size and it's not changeable.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Qubee posted:

i'm pretty sure your brightness settings are hosed, cause I've used the compass a couple times just to check it out and I never ran into this problem. the cardinal directions were always easy to see.

This actually might be true.

I forgot I had to turn up the brightness all the way to even see the rockstar logo when I started the game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was just one shot by a legendary bear lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

When do you lose pelts off the horse? is it when you die, when it falls, or what, cause I just lost like 8 perfect pelts after a cougar surprised me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

the loving bully circle gangbang shoot em up at the end had me in stitches, the game is so dumb sometimes

you hosed up by looting the unconscious dudes, that's a big nono. the AI hivemind does not approve of that, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TMMadman posted:

This actually might be true.

I forgot I had to turn up the brightness all the way to even see the rockstar logo when I started the game.

same happened with my TV, I had brightness all the way up and could still barely make out the R* logo and couldn't differentiate between the shades of colour. I hosed around in my TV settings and turned a bunch of stuff off (like autoblur, smoothness, stuff the TV can do to make things easier on the eyes, they're not good for this game) and also put my TV into HDR mode and took it off the colour settings I had (it was movie, I put it onto game). fixed it perfectly, I ended up being able to have brightness around 30% and could see things great.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

When do you lose pelts off the horse? is it when you die, when it falls, or what, cause I just lost like 8 perfect pelts after a cougar surprised me.

I've been killed a bunch of times with pelts on me and never lost them. only time I lose them is if my horse eats poo poo and falls over and I don't notice, then I leave the pelts behind.

speaking of pelts, I swear someone in this thread mentioned if you skin and leave pelts on the ground, the trapper automatically grabs them for you or something? I really, really hate the limit on pelts you can carry, like if R* just patched in an option to lasso a horse or two behind your main horse to act as pack mules, that would be perfect. you get to use more of your own horses, and going hunting lets you nab a poo poo tonne of pelts. I'm mainly an opportunistic hunter cause the effort involved doesn't really balance out the payment. like 30-45 minutes of tracking a bunch of animals (the tracking system is pretty bad, the highlighted routes are barely ever visible, and constantly tapping into eagle eye vision is frustrating as gently caress) for a payout of max $80 just doesn't cut the time and effort vs payout. I've tried skinning animals and leaving the pelts for me to collect later, but the game deletes them if you move too far. I even went as far as to drop a marker on about 5 pelts I'd piled together, went to the trapper, came back and all that was left were the carcasses.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 28, 2018