Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A common cause is getting interrupted while hauling, such as stopping to vomit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if it was a one off i'd understand but they're doing it constantly and moving chunks around inside my base. Doing it in all sorts of different doors as well

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I know this is a bit of a "is it plugged in?" question, but did you accidentally extend stockpile zones onto the doors?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Does the cloning bay mod let you make copies of your pawns or is it just a resurrection device? I have an idea for scenario start based on Horatio from Endless Space.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yeah I made sure to check teh stockpile zones. they appear to have stopped doing it though

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I make my corridors 2 or 3 wide, but as I dig them out I like to make one side of it the dump stockpile in the early game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress, we survived!

There's a lesson here about city walls. You see, historically, city walls existed to keep threats out of the city center, and to funnel threats into a few specific areas where the defenders have a much easier time fighting them and keeping them away from the general population/valuable things. What you need is some motherfucking walls. Build the wall. Make the bugs pay for it. :smugdon:

Seriously, walls are the most important defensive structure in the game and while a tiny village without walls looks aesthetically pleasing, it also looks like raider bait. If you're REALLY committed to no walls no masters, make sure you're building your structures in a way that encourages enemies to break up when they enter. Lots of doorways to hide in, corners to shoot around, and alleys to body-block. You can make a labyrinthine base design do a lot of work for you if your walls get breached. You did build the wall right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'll try to think of some things tomorrow that I can suggest for additions/things that have changed. But I just want to say I really appreciated this guide back when it was current. While my current game is using a defensive entry area with bunker setup, the internals of my base are still somewhat set up like the "urban warfare" idea you had, and boy did it come in handy tonight when some mechanoids drop podded right into the middle of my warehouse expansion project!

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not sure why that sort of fields-of-fire grid structure isn't a more common way to build fortresses but it *really* helps out when you're overwhelmed.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't rewrite it then. Go play 1.0 and make a new one from scratch based on your experience.

Oh, any rewrite would have to be ground-up, yeah. It's just a daunting task especially in a game like this where there are a lot of non-intuitive, not-easily-discovered-or-explained rules (spaciousness calculations in rooms, etc.) That previous guide took something like two months to write total.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Aside from the really obvious security against stuff like this, you also really need to wall up your crops or omfg every goddamn animal on the map will come and devour them :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did you guys know room cleanliness effects research speed? I idly clicked the info button my my research bench and saw it was a factor, the dirty room was dragging my research down, so after researching the high tech bench and sterile materials, I built a small dedicated lab:

A 9% speed bonus for a sterile environment, not bad!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When you can't smell your fellow colonists or hear their porcine grunting it makes it easier to focus

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Some people have talked about a mod that adds refrigerators, but it kind of seems redundant?
Even though the food will deteriorate in the cupboard, it constantly gets eaten and replaced from a larger freezer.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
My main use for the refrigerator mod is keeping a pile of frozen meat right beside the cook bench to stop the cook barging into the walk in for every single meal.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I do the same, but also have a big freezer in my rec room which acts as a panic room during manhunter attacks. Everyone gets sent in there and there's always food on hand to prevent anyone from starving.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I tried having panic rooms, but all too often the problem itself started in the panic room. Electrical faults, drop pods, or - if inside a mountain - infestations.
e: I've learned along the way to make all furniture out of rock or jade. Takes ages to build, but at least the entire rec room isn't on fire.
My thrumbofur armchairs will be my downfall this time, I'm sure.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 28, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did you guys know room cleanliness effects research speed? I idly clicked the info button my my research bench and saw it was a factor, the dirty room was dragging my research down, so after researching the high tech bench and sterile materials, I built a small dedicated lab:

A 9% speed bonus for a sterile environment, not bad!

Now shove a high quality bed and art in there along with a fridge so other pawns can deliver food to them. Easy way to maximize research time.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nosfereefer posted:

e: I've learned along the way to make all furniture out of rock or jade. Takes ages to build, but at least the entire rec room isn't on fire.
My thrumbofur armchairs will be my downfall this time, I'm sure.

Any material that isn't wood or metal massively decreases the comfort of the furniture, it's not worth it at all. Also thrumbofur has the best sharp resistance of any clothing material, you should be making it into button-down shirts and pants.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Nosfereefer posted:

Some people have talked about a mod that adds refrigerators, but it kind of seems redundant?
Even though the food will deteriorate in the cupboard, it constantly gets eaten and replaced from a larger freezer.

The fridge mod is more of a peace-of-mind thing than an actual mechanical bonus. Even if you cook meals and throw them on the ground outside, you have to be waaay overproducing meals for them to go bad before they get eaten, in my experience, but fridges mean you don't have to worry at all.

Rynoto posted:

Now shove a high quality bed and art in there along with a fridge so other pawns can deliver food to them. Easy way to maximize research time.

I call it the Learning Gulag.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 28, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Fridges are also great if you're using a stack size increase mod :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I can't live without fridges because they look really nice as opposed to the standard efficient setup of having people pick up their meals from the floor of a walk-in freezer like animals.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I got a freezer full of tray racks, personally, so it's very organized

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kanos posted:

I can't live without fridges because they look really nice as opposed to the standard efficient setup of having people pick up their meals from the floor of a walk-in freezer like animals.

This is why I run Extended Storage. Having an orderly warehouse with pallets and shelves look way nicer than having all your poo poo thrown around on the floor, and it's slightly less cheesy than running a Stack Size increase.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also thrumbofur has the best sharp resistance of any clothing material, you should be making it into button-down shirts and pants.

otoh, decadence

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Warmachine posted:

There's a lesson here about city walls. You see, historically, city walls existed to keep threats out of the city center, and to funnel threats into a few specific areas where the defenders have a much easier time fighting them and keeping them away from the general population/valuable things. What you need is some motherfucking walls. Build the wall. Make the bugs pay for it. :smugdon:

Seriously, walls are the most important defensive structure in the game and while a tiny village without walls looks aesthetically pleasing, it also looks like raider bait. If you're REALLY committed to no walls no masters, make sure you're building your structures in a way that encourages enemies to break up when they enter. Lots of doorways to hide in, corners to shoot around, and alleys to body-block. You can make a labyrinthine base design do a lot of work for you if your walls get breached. You did build the wall right?

I’ll forgive your sarcasm because you’re 100% right. Do you have some pics of what decent walls should look like?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Any material that isn't wood or metal massively decreases the comfort of the furniture, it's not worth it at all. Also thrumbofur has the best sharp resistance of any clothing material, you should be making it into button-down shirts and pants.

I always did devilstrand shirt/pants and thrumbofur coats.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What speed do you usually play this at? I tend to either be speed 3 or paused, but now that I have the social dialog mod, I feel like I miss all of the pawns interactions. On the other hand, I never get through a game on speed 3, so I would probably get even less accomplished on speed 1 or 2...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jay Rust posted:

I’ll forgive your sarcasm because you’re 100% right. Do you have some pics of what decent walls should look like?

They go around your settlement?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Demon_Corsair posted:

What speed do you usually play this at? I tend to either be speed 3 or paused, but now that I have the social dialog mod, I feel like I miss all of the pawns interactions. On the other hand, I never get through a game on speed 3, so I would probably get even less accomplished on speed 1 or 2...

Speed 3 with pausing whenever I need to actually do something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I always did devilstrand shirt/pants and thrumbofur coats.

Devilstrand is half as strong as thrumbofur, though. It's good against heat but that's it. Thrumbofur shirts/pants can be worn under power armor for maximum protection.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Devilstrand is half as strong as thrumbofur, though. It's good against heat but that's it. Thrumbofur shirts/pants can be worn under power armor for maximum protection.

lit

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jay Rust posted:

Well, I dunno how right it is compared to some people, but here is a pic of my latest colony. Though the walls haven't been finished yet. As well as a shot of my previous base before I got bored of the extra cold biome.

Eventually I'll probably pick one of East-West or North-South to close up (though leaving a door or two for my own colonists to get through easily) and set up the other pair as a defensive position. For now though I just let raids wander in and position my colonists inside the settlement in doorways and around corners to draw the enemy into a crossfire. For example, if the enemy was coming from the north I'd set up someone with a sniper rifle at the blue dot and a couple assault rifles/bolt-action rifles at the red dots in that corridor to help ensure I draw the enemy down the center. If the enemy tries to take cover at the corners where the white arrowhead is and exchange fire, I'll pull back those guys into the rooms from the doorway and hope the enemy comes down the corridor and gets caught in a crossfire at the intersection (at which point the shooters that pulled back pop back out to join in since the enemy will probably take cover at the corners). The green dots are where I might position melee colonists to help prevent flanks (gunmen would round the corner right into the melee guy) or assist against enemy melee units that manage to close on my shooters in the intersection killzone.

This is based on Hieronymous Alloy's old guide.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I had an ancient danger that I decided to immediately open as soon as my colonists crashed in. It actually had enemies inside for once. A bunch of murder robots came out and somehow my three starting guys managed to kill them all without losing too many body parts. So to start I had a massive room (full of spooky caskets) to live in. Followed by a crashed pod with a person who joined after I healed them with 18 in social and negotiation bonus traits. Never had anyone have super high skills like that coming in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ah, ok, yeah, if you're going power armor sure. I never really bothered with it because it seemed excessive.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I know this is a stretch... but does anyone have any experience with hitching in heavily modded games? And have you figured out what causes it? I have around 230 mods installed and whenever a repetitive task is being done, like construction or mining, the game hitches every few seconds. This used to happen on my play through in a16 a couple years ago but then it didn't happen in my b18 play through earlier this year... and now it's back :(

Not going to bother posting the mod list since it's huge, was just hoping someone had a similar experience and solved it already!

edit: I'm not getting spammed with errors when this happens.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 29, 2018

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Welp, I rolled the dice and lost. Set up camp makes me too likely to leave. Packed up 4 of my colonists to go hit a couple grouped quests, and as soon as they are a day out I get raided. Turns out I didn't notice a pawn going down, so only 1 of the 3 people were armed. Bandits ran off with the two unarmed pawns and the one armed one died alone in his medical bed. That will be a fun surprise for when everyone else gets back.

But I'm gonna get a new pawn and a sweet bone throne. So not the worst trade...?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

They go around your settlement?

Basically this. The good old fashioned box works just fine. One wall thickness is fine, two is better. Each layer you add protects you slightly better from sapper attacks, but they'll still go through it like butter so unless you have super luxury 3-4 thick walls, sappers will still ruin your day and it'll be a rush to set up wherever they are choosing to breach. I stick with two-thick granite walls. Regular raids will spread out so you can go kill-team the individuals. Make sure you have enough access points along the wall to let your pawns out to do stuff if you are not fully self contained. Any such "gates" should be airlocked to prevent manhunter elephants from charging through after your colonists.

You can get fancy with the gate houses if you want and turn them into mini kill shelters, but I tend to find that to be more effort than it is worth. The nature of raids funneling through a 1-wide gap they carved in the wall already gives your massed defenders a clear advantage.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I like to put a gap between layers of wall. It's cheesy, but having sappers pop a hole in the wall on the walled-off side and then run along the entire interior length of it to get to the killbox anyway is some :chefkiss: stuff.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Joseance posted:

if it was a one off i'd understand but they're doing it constantly and moving chunks around inside my base. Doing it in all sorts of different doors as well
If there's a chunk in the way (stockpile not zoned for it, growing zone, construction site), then colonists will move it to just outside the zone and drop it. If your stockpile zones cover the whole room, then that means the chunk ends up on the door.

I recommend planning for the chunks to go somewhere in particular. Just put a big chunks only stockpile near wherever you plan on building your stonecutting bench, and mark chunks nearby for hauling.

Note the following things have natural uncleanliness and shouldn't be in your kitchen/dining/rec room:
chunks
stonecutter benches
butcher blocks
sculpting benches
blacksmith benches

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ShadowHawk posted:

If there's a chunk in the way (stockpile not zoned for it, growing zone, construction site), then colonists will move it to just outside the zone and drop it. If your stockpile zones cover the whole room, then that means the chunk ends up on the door.

I recommend planning for the chunks to go somewhere in particular. Just put a big chunks only stockpile near wherever you plan on building your stonecutting bench, and mark chunks nearby for hauling.

Note the following things have natural uncleanliness and shouldn't be in your kitchen/dining/rec room:
chunks
stonecutter benches
butcher blocks
sculpting benches
blacksmith benches

The butcher is naturally unclean? Where the kibble is cooked. That's awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Facebook Aunt posted:

The butcher is naturally unclean? Where the kibble is cooked. That's awkward.

Yeah. It makes sense if you think about it, I suppose.

Move the butcher over to your main production room, it benefits from tool cabinets while the ovens do not.