Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google has officially upgraded HD digital copies to 4k where available.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/10/23/google-play-movies-free-4k-upgrade/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Google pay has spooky Halloween bobbles after the tick now. I love their dedication to dumb kitsch poo poo in spite of their short memory for new apps

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

I just thought I'd add that I've installed a File Explorer without making the customary post of "what's the best File Explorer". Thought regular posters may find this refreshing.

I'm a genius that did not get round to actually testing Solid Explorer during the trial period. If the hive mind agrees, I'll blind buy it with Opinion Rewards Credit for occasional SFTP usage. Yes/no?

EDIT before anyone responds: Going for it! The hive mind has already stated it's position.

EDIT again: This appears to have been the right move. SFTPing stuff like a champ.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 26, 2018

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Nevermind.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 29, 2018

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

torturemyballs posted:

Anyone know of an app that actually works to boost Bluetooth audio volume? I'm specifically using stock Android Pie with Bose wireless headphones and Spotify. I tried some older trick in dev options as well but it didn't work.

I misread your post and missed the Bluetooth part, so I'm not sure if this will work after all...but I've been using this to boost the speaker volume in my tablet. Maybe give it a try?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is the Twitter app causing problems for anyone else? All I'm getting is this poo poo:

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and it worked for like a half hour, after which it never loaded anything and only displayed cached posts with blank images :shrug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Is the Twitter app causing problems for anyone else?

Working fine for me. Try un/reinstall once more, but clear data first. I guess it could be a server side thing as well, if different regions can have different problems.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How do I stop getting a dot on my Maps icon? I turned off notification dots in the notification settings, but it's still popping up.

I wonder if it's because I am using Nova.

I hate having the persistent dot because my phone is always telling me local traffic updates.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a business phone number going to an android phone. This phone is used to harvest contacts and save them into a CSV file. I am looking for an app (and willing to pay) which will add each name/phone # to my main google account. It has to be automatic or almost automatic. Currently I basically need to save each call to the contact list and it sucks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Uthor posted:

How do I stop getting a dot on my Maps icon? I turned off notification dots in the notification settings, but it's still popping up.

I hate having the persistent dot because my phone is always telling me local traffic updates.
Notification dots are not a stock Android thing, so that's probably your launcher, yeah.

Maps has some 'get commute notifications' setting under commute settings that you can turn off though. There's a whole notifications subsection under settings as well, as a matter of fact.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Flipperwaldt posted:

Notification dots are not a stock Android thing, so that's probably your launcher, yeah.

Yes, they are.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bull3964 posted:

Yes, they are.

Guess I've got some catching up to do then.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Guess I've got some catching up to do then.

They were added in Oreo on the Pixel launcher. Some OEMs have had them via their own Android version for even longer, and 3rd party launchers like Nova have offered dots for years (check the nova addon called TeslaUnread).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I'm guessing you just want to turn off the dot for Maps and not everything so do so in the notification options for Maps them restart Nova.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ola posted:

Working fine for me. Try un/reinstall once more, but clear data first. I guess it could be a server side thing as well, if different regions can have different problems.

Still happens every day or so. I learned that the quick and easy fix is to just close it using the app switcher and then open it again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Pushbullet has gotten more and more flaky for me over the last year or so and their support seems to be nonexistent. What's the next best thing for SMS mirroring to a computer? I use Textra so the web Messages is out. I tried Join two or three years ago and it was a bit of a faff to keep everything signed in properly. I used to use MightyText; can't remember why I stopped anymore.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Pushbullet has gotten more and more flaky for me over the last year or so and their support seems to be nonexistent. What's the next best thing for SMS mirroring to a computer? I use Textra so the web Messages is out. I tried Join two or three years ago and it was a bit of a faff to keep everything signed in properly. I used to use MightyText; can't remember why I stopped anymore.

You probably stopped using MightyText because they changed their payment model and it stopped being worth it for a lot of people.

I've been using the Phone features built into the Windows 10 October 1809 update. I grabbed the update before Microsoft pulled it to fix (lol) but it works well. Only thing is it doesent show MMS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I used Join until web Messages came along and never had any problems. I still use Join but have disabled the messages portion of it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Best thing for SMS mirroring is the Messages web app.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's google voice through hangouts if you live in the correct country. Since it's convenient and works properly I'm guessing google plans to eol it. All these updates to the voice app have me worried.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use Pulse and it's really good as well

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

vyst posted:

I use Pulse and it's really good as well

I used to be all about Pulse SMS, but recently I switched to Google's messages because of an issue with Pulse. I would not receive texts on my Huawei watch 2 until sometimes 3 hours later. The developer's only suggestion was to hook my watch up to WiFi instead, which isn't always possible. It used to work fine about three weeks ago, but multiple factory resets to both devices, and all the troubleshooting the dev has me go through, the solution he had was to connect the watch to WiFi, and that he hasn't changed anything that would effect my experience in the way I described. I really liked the app, and it worked fine on my phone and Chromebook, but not receiving messages on my watch defeats the purpose of a smart watch. Messages has been working flawlessly

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I used Join until web Messages came along and never had any problems. I still use Join but have disabled the messages portion of it.

Am I misunderstanding this whole pwa thing, but can you receive notifications even when it's not open in a window? I only receive notifications when it's open in a tab/window, same for Gmail, Whatsapp for web etc. I do get Facebook notifications sometimes without a window open for some reason.
Having half a dozen tabs open just for notifications doesn't sound great.
I realize it's not really an Android issue apart from wanting not to have to use Join.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sterf posted:

Am I misunderstanding this whole pwa thing, but can you receive notifications even when it's not open in a window? I only receive notifications when it's open in a tab/window, same for Gmail, Whatsapp for web etc. I do get Facebook notifications sometimes without a window open for some reason.
I realize it's not really an Android issue apart from wanting not to have to use Join.

It will run with the tab closed and can even run with chrome closed as long as you let chrome run in the background

E: this is about join, I realised I may be reading your post wrong

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sterf posted:

I keep pinned tabs for GMail and Messages so they're open at all times for me (not really for notifications but because it's nice to have them already open). I also have a Wear device, use Join for notification mirroring, and of course my phone is right next to me. I'm not exactly missing a lot of notifications.

Like Blue Train said though it makes more sense if you care about notifications to just use Join.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Ok, thanks, I was mostly just wondering if I was missing something when I keep hearing about push notifications, thought they would push with them not open in tabs too. I see facebook.com do it which is why I was confused, though that doesn't seem instant or very often. Used to have a Wear watch too but that was a bit too close to me to handily ignore when I wanted to, and when I'm home my phone has a tendency to get completely lost until the time comes to frantically search for it so I primarily use my pixelbook for anything notification-related.
Ah well, Join works fine enough.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sterf posted:

Ok, thanks, I was mostly just wondering if I was missing something when I keep hearing about push notifications, thought they would push with them not open in tabs too. I see facebook.com do it which is why I was confused, though that doesn't seem instant or very often. Used to have a Wear watch too but that was a bit too close to me to handily ignore when I wanted to, and when I'm home my phone has a tendency to get completely lost until the time comes to frantically search for it so I primarily use my pixelbook for anything notification-related.
Ah well, Join works fine enough.

I've found it's better to just keep the tabs open as setting the phone done for any length of time tends to delay notifications so much as to be useless. You could always also just open the tab into its own window and minimize it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

While we are on this subject, anyone find themselves gravitating to messaging apps with a web/PC option? I.e. Whatsapp, [FB] Messenger, [SMS] Messenger, Telegram etc...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

While we are on this subject, anyone find themselves gravitating to messaging apps with a web/PC option? I.e. Whatsapp, [FB] Messenger, [SMS] Messenger, Telegram etc...

Yup, all my messaging has a PC synced option: Messages, WhatsApp, Facebook, Hangouts, Slack, Teams, Discord...I think that all of them? Haha

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I refuse to log into personal accounts on my work PC and hardly ever sit at my desk at home. So, I prefer all my messaging systems on my phone.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Signal has a desktop app, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

I refuse to log into personal accounts on my work PC and hardly ever sit at my desk at home. So, I prefer all my messaging systems on my phone.

I use remote desktop to a cloud VM for this stuff at work.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

butt dickus posted:

It's google voice through hangouts if you live in the correct country. Since it's convenient and works properly I'm guessing google plans to eol it. All these updates to the voice app have me worried.

One of the reasons I went over to Google Fi from the T-Mobile $30 plan with Google Voice was because most of the apps on the phone , including the then-named Google Now required me to jump through hoops to get them to use the Voice number instead of the Phone's T-Mobile number, if they could be forced to do so at all.

I went over fully to Messages back in July, partially because of the webapp, partially because I'd intermittently find that the phone had switched over to Messages somehow, and partially from discovering that Hangouts on Fi wasn't storing the messages in a way that SMS Backup+ could actually back them up.

If Hangouts could wither on the vine, I'd prefer to have a quick harvest option.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks to Fi, I'm still using Hangouts and it works decently. Got one straggler who refuses to use anything but Hangouts and my bf still uses SMS as if it's a modern thing (even goes so far as to take pictures of his monitor instead of just sending me the URL like a normal person...but eh).

I tried Messages for a week and the damned things wouldn't go through and had lag and all that fun stuff that SMS has that web-based messaging doesn't.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The web interface for messages is still using the sms protocol so of course it still has the same limitations

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android is gonna have total messaging app fragmentation for eternity, isn't it

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Android is gonna have total messaging app fragmentation for eternity, isn't it

Probably, yes. RCS will never happen in a way that makes it like iMessage. Didn't Apple have to force the carriers to play along with iMessage? If that's true, then Android will never have an iMessage equivalent since they can't really force the carriers to do anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I hate that every time a tech blog brings up RCS they start talking about being closer to iMessage. No, just no no no no. RCS is a protocol. iMessage is a cloud service with multi-device client options and device sync.

RCS on its own is not enough. All RCS will do is give more features to people using carrier messaging. Without a robust an feature filled cloud infrastructure and diverse client options with sync, it means nothing.

Google could compete with iMessage right now without RCS if they wanted to. At the same time, blanket adoption of RCS will not give Android devices iMessage.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ThermoPhysical posted:

Didn't Apple have to force the carriers to play along with iMessage?

No, that's an internet messaging service that falls back to sending plain old texts - no need for explicit carrier support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

No, that's an internet messaging service that falls back to sending plain old texts - no need for explicit carrier support.

Can fail back. There's a box that has to be checked or else mom gets a sales pitch about her bad phone.