Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Smithers is a gay stereotype, he’s just not an offensive gay stereotype.

Also the Homer learns about gay people is always one of my favorite. “We work hard, we play hard.”

Ehhh in later episodes they go out of their way. Like when he recoils in fear from two strippers who have him cornered for some reason.

I guess they could make Apu less offensive of a stereotype and make him a call centre worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I actually don’t think “gay men are scared of naked ladies” is a stereotype and always thought that was a p funny joke actually.

I’ve always found that with the exception of Will from Will & Grace, every landmark gay character since Ellen Degeneres has been a pretty serious stereotype and they’ve had great success. There are enough different but recognizable gay archetypes that they weren’t immediately stale and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy really hammered home “Gay Utility” the idea that we have so much to learn from gay people.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

The_Rob posted:

Because the Simpsons is part of a thing called satire. So it's almost like the joke is that because Apu is Indian his intelligence and hard work is not fairly rewarded in America where as our protagonist homer is a Caucasian male who is a loud, rude, alcoholic who is rewarded for his behavior and fails upwards his entire life. It's almost like the humor is making a point about American culture.

I don't think that's the joke though. It's more that many or most Simpsons characters are stereotypes. A white man being loud and rude and dumb is as much a stereotype as Apu working at a convenience store and having an arranged marriage is. Cletus, the acne ridden, screechy-voiced teen, etc. are all stereotypes. The fact that you see Homer as being an accurate depiction of white males, and not also a stereotype is deeply disturbing.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Aight I'll be honest. If people are truly offended I guess there's no real reason to continue airing Apu. In my opinion Apu was truly a deep character with many memorable quotes, character development and growth compared to Dr. Riviera which is a real negative portrayal of a Latino AND doesn't have any growth or anything besides being you know, himself. He gave and still gives me good chuckles out of his jokes tho!

I guess I don't wanna go into the "be tougher" territory but it really amused me that after Apu gave that killer spech on the vegetarian Lisa episode, he is now canned lmao.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 29, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dr. Nick never really had an identifiable spanish accent though?

Anyway, the show flubbed the Apu controversy harder than a Trump tweet. If they can't be assed to maybe alter the character to fit a critical audience, just retire him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

If they can't be assed to maybe alter the character to fit a critical audience, just retire him.

I mean, they did. They circled back around and reignited the controversy, but they had stopped using him for a couple seasons.

But no one is watching the new seasons anyway, so no one knows that they did that.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

FilthyImp posted:

Dr. Nick never really had an identifiable spanish accent though?

Anyway, the show flubbed the Apu controversy harder than a Trump tweet. If they can't be assed to maybe alter the character to fit a critical audience, just retire him.

I'm not entirely sure if his accent is supposed to be Spanish, but the design of the character is supposed to be based on Gabor Csupo, since I guess everyone hated working with Klasky-Csupo on the first few seasons.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Dr Nick is also influenced by Elvis Presley's old quack, Dr Nichopoulos, who was associated with his drawn out march towards death by recommending him basically any drug he wanted. As you might ascertain this particular Dr Nick was of Greek descent.

I don't really think that Simpsons Dr Nick is meant to represent anything much more specific than 'shady foreign doctor', he's really not on Apu level. Even Bumblebee man is at least a specifically targeted parody of some Mexican comedy rather than the entire nation of Mexico.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 29, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I've never been able to place Dr Nick's accent, and have never really tried. He's just a weird doctor that's super cheerful about his work! It's kind of endearing that he's so bad at it but always seems happy and motivated. Reminds me a bit of how Moleman is always trying his hardest.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I literally could not tell you if Apu, Dr Nick, Bumblebee Man or Groundskeeper Willie were even in any of the last 15 seasons of the Simpsons
because who the gently caress watches the simpsons anymore

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So did any Indians complain about Apu before a blogger born and raised in the US and educated privately in England did?

Because it didn't come up once with anyone in my family, friends, school or internet groups. Seeing as how they ate predominately Indian and Pakistani you think it would have.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

504 posted:

So did any Indians complain about Apu before a blogger born and raised in the US and educated privately in England did?

Because it didn't come up once with anyone in my family, friends, school or internet groups. Seeing as how they ate predominately Indian and Pakistani you think it would have.

Now you're gonna get blind sided by a bunch of nerds who need to prove how "not racist" they are. This thread is truly the a lowest point of the Simpsons

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The documentary is like 40 minutes long just watch it

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

504 posted:

Wait, did you mean that they are predominantly Indian and Pakistani or that they ate predominantly Indian and Pakistani (cuisine).

One of these bears more weight in an argument than the other.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Wait, did you mean that they are predominantly Indian and Pakistani or that they ate predominantly Indian and Pakistani (cuisine).

One of these bears more weight in an argument than the other.

my man did you know the t and r keys are next to each other

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Chows posted:

my man did you know the t and r keys are next to each other

I was being silly, you silly goose!

I just thought of a scenario in which someone was like "me and my family eat indian food all the time and haven't heard any guff wrt apu ever" to be funny

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Riptor posted:

The documentary is like 40 minutes long just watch it

Or don’t so the thread can move on to posting descriptions of new episodes completely straight-faced.

quote:

Several monks are handcrafting the book The Japanese Warrior Monks Guide to Tidying Up, a book to teach people to reach "the state of enticement", carefully when they were told that America had ordered a shipment of one million books. When they find this out, all the monks are fired and robots make the books in a factory instead. When one of the robots was told it had put two front covers on the book, it committed seppuku.

The Simpsons go to the Springfield Car Wash, and Marge buys the book. Homer buys some sushi and ends up going to the hospital.

The family reunites at home and she makes the family follow its teaching, giving up everything that didn't give them joy any more. Lisa gives up some of her Malibu Stacy dolls, Bart tells Marge all his stuff gives him joy, while Homer gives up his Mr. Plow jacket.

Marge however tells him he has to give up Plopper, and to find him a new place to live, so he puts an announcement on Greg's list. The first one to offer it is Snake, but Homer refuses, getting in a panel van to navigate back home.

Bart, Lisa and Homer with Plopper go to Luigi's and see Joyce Carol Oates at a table, but when trying to enter with the pig, Luigi forbids them, unless Plopper becomes a therapy animal.

Homer prepares to make Plopper one, but Lisa gets worried of him getting in trouble and gets an anxiety attack, and Homer gets the idea to get a prescription for anxiety at Dr. Bud's Medicinal Marijuana Clinic, but he turns out to be a mountebank, so he turns to Dr. Nick, which gives him some pills.

Lisa gets rid of every object in her room, and finds out the sax doesn't give her joy anymore. Meanwhile, Homer brings Plopper at the Power Plant, placing him on his seat, and says to Marge that he will bring him everywhere he goes so she won't see it for long.

At the Springfield nuclear family day picnic, Lisa gives up her sax, while Plopper gets greased up by the kids, and the Hounds attack him, biting his back's ribs. Dr. Budgie visits him, and to avoid a lawsuit, Mr. Burns and Smithers agree to take care of him.

Back at home, Lisa is empty of any joy since she gave away all of her stuff, so Bart helps her at school, playing the music she likes over the intercom. She gets her joy back, but is missing her stuff, so Marge takes her to Springfield Lock 'N' Leave Storage Facility and reveals she kept all the stuff there, and go and retrieve them, disturbing Gil.

At Burns Manor, Dr. Budgie gives Plopper a makeover, and Burns have some great moments with it. Homer comes to check on him and sees Burns dancing with it. He then returns to the manor that evening and gets back his animal friend, and to keep him he says to Marge he will give up beer.

That night, Homer has a dream of a Hellman's mayonnaise cartoon, similar to one he had early, and wakes up from the nightmare after seeing they prepared hamburgers with fruit in the sides.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

CodfishCartographer posted:

Or don’t so the thread can move on to posting descriptions of new episodes completely straight-faced.

Good man

quote:

Kirk Van Houten is going through a poorly-concealed midlife crisis and Homer is left in his own depression when Marge inadvertently ruins his mood by cheerfully telling him he'll have the same job and family and experiences until he dies. Homer then shows Marge letters from his old Spanish pen pal, Eduardo, whom the young Homer wrote to for a school project because foreign pen pals required fewer letters from him than area prisoners. To cheer up Homer, Marge invites Eduardo to stay with the family. Eduardo arrives and helps Homer fulfill his childhood dreams, such as riding in the back of a fire truck, fighting The Pirates of Penzance, and re-enacting the battle of Captain Kirk and the Gorn from Star Trek using props from Comic Book Guy's store.

Homer decides to fulfill his last childhood dream: flying like Rocky the Flying Squirrel. Homer and Eduardo fly on a wingsuit and, after panicking, Homer is able to control his flying. Unfortunately, Homer crashes on the tallest building in Springfield and falls to the ground.

Meanwhile, Kent Brockman reveals that Springfield Elementary students are engaged in widespread cheating. Lisa proposes creating an honor code that will make the student not to cheat and turn any cheater in. Although every student declines, Lisa manages to get every student to sign the honor code by getting the most influential students to sign the honor code such as Nelson (the strongest kid), Martin (the smartest kid) and Milhouse (the class nerd), and after a few days Lisa's code began to work as the students are studying much harder. Lisa accidentally grabs Bart's backpack and realizes that Bart is cheating. Lisa threatens to turn Bart in, but Bart checkmates her by smugly stating that if he gets caught cheating it will confirm her system isn't working and destroy it.

Lisa plans to force Bart to turn himself in. Bart quickly declines and replies that the only thing that will make him turn himself in is a sign from God. Seconds later, Homer falls (following his earlier crash) and lands on Bart (followed by Homer's scream, since Homer himself landed faster than the speed of sound). Bart and Lisa see this as a sign from God, and Bart turns himself in, using the time to add more sections to the Detention Quilt.

Homer promises Eduardo to take him to the airport. After asking Eduardo where he wants to be dropped off, Eduardo tells him to "go as far as your heart will take you". Homer and Eduardo are last seen heading towards Sagrada Família in Barcelona.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

turboraton posted:

Wasn't Apu way more than that?

In one single episode 20 years ago, yes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

You know, at first I thought you had taken a Family Guy episode description and simply replaced all the names.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Dennis System posted:

I don't think that's the joke though. It's more that many or most Simpsons characters are stereotypes. A white man being loud and rude and dumb is as much a stereotype as Apu working at a convenience store and having an arranged marriage is. Cletus, the acne ridden, screechy-voiced teen, etc. are all stereotypes. The fact that you see Homer as being an accurate depiction of white males, and not also a stereotype is deeply disturbing.

I knew it the real victim was white men all along!!!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Guess the fake episode time

A) The dogs of Springfield take over
B) Homer coaches (Lacrosse)
C) Homer finds Smithers a date
D) The Simpsons take a trip to the Baltic States

A) Sanjay turns the kwik e mart into Whole Foods
B) Aunt Patti finds out she's adopted
C) Lisa doth require braces
D) The Simpsons are going to *reads note* Denmark

A) Björk comes to Springfield and kills everyone
B) Homer and Marge get Moe to make ammends with his father
C) Marge runs for mayor
D) Marge is mad at Homer and fears their marriage is on the ropes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plant MONSTER. posted:

C) Marge runs for mayor

B, A, B

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plant MONSTER. posted:

C) Marge runs for mayor

A, B, A

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

which season of the simpsons was the first to be entirely made of bad episodes? like not one single episode worth watching.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aunt Patty being adopted has to be fake because that's actually a funny idea.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

D, B and A. [timg]https://i.imgur.com/6icLrXH.jpg[/timg] (she wants to kill them though)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plant MONSTER. posted:

D, B and A. [timg]https://i.imgur.com/6icLrXH.jpg[/timg] (she wants to kill them though)

Shoot I was just thinking about changing my answer on the first one because the one I picked sounds perfectly like a Family Guy script that somehow got turned into a Simpsons episode, which is what a third of the new episodes feel like.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Plant MONSTER. posted:

The first one seemed obvious because the writers aren’t smart enough to know about the Baltic Seas, nor does the average everyday american even know where they are.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Season 59

The Simpsons are going to Mali!

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
the Simpsons are going to Antarctica

next year!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Season 59

The Simpsons are going to Mali!

Season 102

The Simpsons reminisce about when they didn’t have to live in a van

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
guest starring Albert Brooks as the van salesman

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Budget Dracula posted:

which season of the simpsons was the first to be entirely made of bad episodes? like not one single episode worth watching.

Season 12, maybe 13 if you're being generous.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think generally every season up until the last 5-10 years had at least one entertaining episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

504 posted:

I mean, in the early 90’s there really wasn’t a public forum for PoC to express discomfort. The internet as we have it now wasn’t really that common or accessible until post 9/11, at which time any brown/tan skinned people had much worse racisms to combat. It’s not fair to be like “No one complained until this blogger started complaining” because there wasn’t a place to air those grievances until pretty recently.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think generally every season up until the last 5-10 years had at least one entertaining episode.

Would probably be worth compiling together what some of those ones are. I assume they're not as good as the golden era stuff, but might be nice to see some "new" Simpsons that aren't garbage.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Who or what is Plopper?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

Who or what is Plopper?

Why, the family pig, of course! Don’t you remember him(?)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If anyone were brave enough to curate a good 12th season of the Simpsons by getting the best episode from the last 20 seasons a piece I would watch them