Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Btw, despite my issues with the controls, I still really like this game and all the stuff that you can see and do in it.

I was amused when a prisoner that I had shot the shackles off earlier came back to me again in shackles. I let him go again and he gave me a tip about a house to rob and claimed he wouldn't get locked up again. I really hope I find him in chains again. I'll keep setting him free

I also found and dynamited the KKK initiation, but then later I found 3 more of them setting up a big cross somewhere. I watched them for a minute and then 2 idiots dropped the cross which killed them. Then the black robed leader started saying that it was a bad day or something before I put a bullet in his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mailer posted:

Spiderman: Combats fast travel by both allowing it and making it more fun not to
RDR2: Puts in lovely fast travel, then goes the extra mile to punish not wanting to manually steer for fifteen minutes

nailed it, I've never even tried to see if Spiderman had fast travel cause traversing the city is just so god drat fun, but once the novelty of swinging around wears off, I'll be thankful that it's in the game. Take fuckin note, R*

TMMadman posted:

No it's not a joke. I don't really care about the horse going backwards. Frankly, I don't see why I would ever need to make the horse go backwards when I can just spin it in a circle.

I just wish actually stopping the horse from higher speeds wasn't a button press and could jusr be done with the left stick

sometimes the horse gets wedged between stuff and can't turn, so going backwards is the only way.

What the gently caress is with Van Holden trading town or whatever it's called? Jesus Christ, avoid it like the plague if you don't want your honour to take a huge hit I hear screaming and some whore is being attacked by a guy, so I intervene. I figure it's gonna be a polite fist fight between gents, but the oval office pulls a pistol on me. I shoot him, and then jesus christ almighty, I kid you not, 20 or 30 guys slowly attack me in waves, it's never ending. It was so bad I was worried they were lawmen spawning. My honour kept going down with every loving kill. I eventually wipe them out, the woman is nowhere to be seen, no reward. But it was really good fun. Then I hear another scream, and I figure "oh, it might be the woman and I'll get a reward if I help her again". Some guy is coming out the saloon, insults a black dude, I intervene. We get into a fist fight, I promptly kick his rear end, he politely replies by shooting me a bunch. I kill him. And then another wave of 10 or 20 guys comes at me again. Each kill giving me negative honour.

Walked into that town with my honour a fair bit past the midway point. I'm leaving it and I'm so far to the left of the midway point. And as far as I can tell, it does nothing? Like no reward for stepping in. Not too annoyed cause that was the most enjoyable gun fight ever but drat, I wish my honour didn't take that bad a hit for helping some dockside whore out.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 29, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I found out yesterday in some guys youtube that you can go in cinematic mode and the horse will take you to your destination

you'll get knocked out of it if you get O'Driscolled though

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

DrNutt posted:

Jesus if you really can't handle "slowly riding your horse" somewhere and just want to fast travel to your next dopamine hit, just go play Destiny or something. This is a game that absolutely does best when you let it breathe a little and if that's not your thing that's fine. Every time I go somewhere in this game I see something new that is absolutely stunning in some way and it's pretty much always worth it.

This is a very good post. Traveling to and from places kind if *is* the game in a lot of ways. I've seen so much cool stuff (like running across the KKK in the hills near Strawberry at night... that whole thing is nutso and hilariously done).

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
This is from several pages ago, but...

Romes128 posted:

I found a house with a bunch of skeletons laying in beds and a skeleton on an altar at the back of the room in like wizard clothing or some poo poo.

I should have pinned it. It was near one of the debt collection missions.

Go there at night to see some poo poo.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Mailer posted:

Spiderman: Combats fast travel by both allowing it and making it more fun not to
RDR2: Puts in lovely fast travel, then goes the extra mile to punish not wanting to manually steer for fifteen minutes
wly, and just adding in a shitload of wait time for everything. There's nothing immersive or enjoyable about staring at my phone while my horse clops slowly towards another destination and my controller is on the desk.

There's an auto travel and an unlockable fast travel ya dingus

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I found a spoopy house full of skeletons ALA the Heaven's Gate mass suicide

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Jesus if you really can't handle "slowly riding your horse" somewhere and just want to fast travel to your next dopamine hit, just go play Destiny or something. This is a game that absolutely does best when you let it breathe a little and if that's not your thing that's fine. Every time I go somewhere in this game I see something new that is absolutely stunning in some way and it's pretty much always worth it.

"your opinion is stupid, if you don't like a lovely game mechanic, go play a different game, idiot! but let me add a little caveat and say if this isn't your thing, it's totally fine, I get it." :thunk:

talking like you're some wine connoisseur

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Cinematic mode needs a free camera

Also why can I sometimes not hold X in cinematic mode and my horse will keep going, but other times if I don’t hold X the horse stops?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

wyoak posted:

Cinematic mode needs a free camera

Also why can I sometimes not hold X in cinematic mode and my horse will keep going, but other times if I don’t hold X the horse stops?

Get to speed, then hold X for about 5 seconds and let go

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Qubee posted:

nailed it, I've never even tried to see if Spiderman had fast travel cause traversing the city is just so god drat fun, but once the novelty of swinging around wears off, I'll be thankful that it's in the game. Take fuckin note, R*

sometimes the horse gets wedged between stuff and can't turn, so going backwards is the only way.

What the gently caress is with Van Holden trading town or whatever it's called? Jesus Christ, avoid it like the plague if you don't want your honour to take a huge hit I hear screaming and some whore is being attacked by a guy, so I intervene. I figure it's gonna be a polite fist fight between gents, but the oval office pulls a pistol on me. I shoot him, and then jesus christ almighty, I kid you not, 20 or 30 guys slowly attack me in waves, it's never ending. It was so bad I was worried they were lawmen spawning. My honour kept going down with every loving kill. I eventually wipe them out, the woman is nowhere to be seen, no reward. But it was really good fun. Then I hear another scream, and I figure "oh, it might be the woman and I'll get a reward if I help her again". Some guy is coming out the saloon, insults a black dude, I intervene. We get into a fist fight, I promptly kick his rear end, he politely replies by shooting me a bunch. I kill him. And then another wave of 10 or 20 guys comes at me again. Each kill giving me negative honour.

Walked into that town with my honour a fair bit past the midway point. I'm leaving it and I'm so far to the left of the midway point. And as far as I can tell, it does nothing? Like no reward for stepping in. Not too annoyed cause that was the most enjoyable gun fight ever but drat, I wish my honour didn't take that bad a hit for helping some dockside whore out.

Sounds like someone ran across a town with economic anxiety and you should probably just honor their culture

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Qubee posted:

It's a bad town, everyone is a cutthroat and a scoundrel. Like the sheriff's office is abandoned for god's sake.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I ended up at some backwoods redneck family compound and they didn't take kindly to my trespassing.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Qubee posted:

"your opinion is stupid, if you don't like a lovely game mechanic, go play a different game, idiot! but let me add a little caveat and say if this isn't your thing, it's totally fine, I get it." :thunk:

I don't think that's what they were saying. They were saying that this game is about riding your horse around a lot. If you don't like riding your horse around, this may not be the game for you. They also said that the horse riding takes you to some interesting interactions and content which you'd miss if you fast traveled around. The horse riding isn't a "lovely game mechanic" just because you don't like it. It is a huge part of the game and a large impetus for content discovery. I find it pretty drat fun too. It's ok if you don't like it. I don't like a lot of things in life too.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
a ways back in the thread but you don't need to "mash x" to make split point bullets - just hold down x and he will keep repeating the animation and making bullets until you run out of material

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just go chop some wood and donate a few pocket watches to your gang of thieves and killers and your honor will shoot right back up

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Over There posted:

Get to speed, then hold X for about 5 seconds and let go

You can go even faster if you mash X and if you mash X in time with your horse's pace, it will not take any stamina which is pretty great (I read that in the guide and it works)

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

he1ixx posted:

You can go even faster if you mash X and if you mash X in time with your horse's pace, it will not take any stamina which is pretty great (I read that in the guide and it works)

:aaa: I was doing that instinctively just because it felt right! I had no idea it was actually useful!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I didn't want the strategy guide because I figured I could look up anything I wasn't sure of online, but now I realize that doesn't really count for a brand new game with this much detail.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
There was a house I was able to force my way into and loot that contained a murdered family. I found it on a dark and stormy night and it really creeped me out there was a little kid slumped over a rocking horse with blood on the floor. :ohdear:

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Over There posted:

I didn't want the strategy guide because I figured I could look up anything I wasn't sure of online, but now I realize that doesn't really count for a brand new game with this much detail.

yeah I didn't want it either but I dug into the details and this guide is super duper useful so far. There's like 3 pages of horse stats! I'm in heaven.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I've been a stage coach bandit for the last couple hours of game play and it just loving owns. It just kicks major rear end. Folks, it's good. The game gets much better when you get a faster horse btw. Makes journeys that seem incredibly long on the map really only take a couple minutes. I love how well I'm getting to know the terrain just by revisiting it.

I had a couple of bad moments, both centered around the bounty system which is a sour spot in an otherwise incredibly bright game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

he1ixx posted:

yeah I didn't want it either but I dug into the details and this guide is super duper useful so far. There's like 3 pages of horse stats! I'm in heaven.

Did you get it on the app or the book? I might have to check it out.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the barber in valentine is always closed, it his behind a story wall or wtf?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The book is 40$ lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DoctorGonzo posted:

the barber in valentine is always closed, it his behind a story wall or wtf?

it's in the back of the saloon

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Qubee posted:

he1ixx posted:

I don't think that's what they were saying. They were saying that this game is about riding your horse around a lot. If you don't like riding your horse around, this may not be the game for you. They also said that the horse riding takes you to some interesting interactions and content which you'd miss if you fast traveled around. The horse riding isn't a "lovely game mechanic" just because you don't like it. It is a huge part of the game and a large impetus for content discovery. I find it pretty drat fun too. It's ok if you don't like it. I don't like a lot of things in life too.

:shrug:

Basically what he1ixx said. I like modern skinner box gaming as much as the next person where there's always something going on that gives me treats for being a good boy, but there's room for other kinds of games too.

I've been listening to the podcast "Treks and the City" lately. It's a feminism/fashion focused podcast with Alice Wetterlund of Silicon Vallley and Veronica Osorio of Hail! Caeser. They're both long time TNG fans and it's fun to hear a different take on Star Trek than some nerdy white guys talking about how great it is. One of the things they point out frequently is how much wasted time/space there is, and how it's so different from modern tv where pretty much everything is designed to push things forward at all times. Like, you'll see Riker at a door and Picard will say enter, and the camera will just follow Riker the whole time as he walks into the room and sits down to talk to Picard. Whereas a modern tv show would just start the scene with Picard and Riker sitting down having a conversation.

That is one of the things I like about TNG because it gives a similar room to breath. It's a show that allows for more contemplation and introspection. I think RDR2 is like that in a lot of ways.

Now I'm not saying that it's perfect but for better or worse I am glad it's the way it is, because there's already a bazillion other games out there that are the other way, and I'm not saying they're bad, I like a lot of those too. I guess it would suck if you are a big time western fan and really want a story set in the west but want a game experience more similar to something like Destiny or Spiderman or rear end Creed. In that case the only game I can even think of is that Call of Juarez: Gunslinger game (which is really really good).

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Gay Horney posted:

I've been a stage coach bandit for the last couple hours of game play and it just loving owns. It just kicks major rear end. Folks, it's good. The game gets much better when you get a faster horse btw. Makes journeys that seem incredibly long on the map really only take a couple minutes. I love how well I'm getting to know the terrain just by revisiting it.

I had a couple of bad moments, both centered around the bounty system which is a sour spot in an otherwise incredibly bright game.

So I sold that massive black horse because I thought I could afford a better one. Nope, the only one I could afford at the time was a tiny average horse for $15. When I rode with the gang, they were at least 4ft taller than me. I was embarrassed to be around them.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Over There posted:

Did you get it on the app or the book? I might have to check it out.

I got it through the app. :10bux:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

The book is 40$ lol

good god, the one in app is $10

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
One thing that bounty hunters ruin: legendary animal hunting. Just started tracking the buck and then I get the "too much activity" warning halfway through and a bunch of them show up in the woods.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'd like the guide but the app doesn't work on my phone and I guess there's no way to get it digitally aside from that

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I've been using the Special Edition horse for a while now, just got to the maximum bond with her. She started with way better stats than the starting horses, not sure how she stacks up to others I could find though.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Hihohe posted:

I swear that abandoned town in the swamp is where the zombie dlc is gonna start

the first day I played, I wandered into the swamp area near St Denis and came across a body hanging from a tree, so I hopped off my horse to investigate. as I'm looking at the body, a half naked dude covered in mud comes out of nowhere and stabs me. another swamp person showed up a few seconds later and I blasted them both in the face. I'm not even sure if they were human.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Stevie Lee posted:

the first day I played, I wandered into the swamp area near St Denis and came across a body hanging from a tree, so I hopped off my horse to investigate. as I'm looking at the body, a half naked dude covered in mud comes out of nowhere and stabs me. another swamp person showed up a few seconds later and I blasted them both in the face. I'm not even sure if they were human.

:stare:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

it's in the back of the saloon

yeah i entered it but there it was a notice that i couldnt read so i dont know what it said

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Over There posted:

So I sold that massive black horse because I thought I could afford a better one. Nope, the only one I could afford at the time was a tiny average horse for $15. When I rode with the gang, they were at least 4ft taller than me. I was embarrassed to be around them.

I called that little $15 poo poo "Remorse", as in "buyer's".
I think I might take him up to the railroad tracks when I need more space in the stables...

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

I threw the bodies in the swamp water for the gators, but I didn't stick around to see what happened.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hihohe posted:

Do what i do and have a " gently caress it" save file for when you want to go postal. I wish you could name the save files tho.

Good idea.

At this point I’ve started doing the Raylan Givens thing of basically giving hostile people a reason to pull on me first before I blast them in “self defense”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Can't you look over the horses to see your options before you decide to sell him? I think it really only existed to let you get your preorder/special edition horses and you were supposed to keep him otherwise.