Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

Which makes it even funnier that the game mechanically punishes you for playing Arthur Morgan as he's canonically written.

I think there's a difference between playing Arthur Morgan and Trevor Philips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

euphronius posted:

The app is better because you can screen shot it

Honor spoilers

All of the rewards are for being a white hat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish they'd patch in that fun feature Assassin's Creed Origins had (maybe Odyssey too) where you could lock the horse on to a road and it'd just run along it automatically and if you pressed a button it'd run to a manually set waypoint. That made enjoying the scenery so much better.

Or is that what cinematic mode does? I haven't really used that outside when the game prompts it.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

ughhhh posted:

its the map feature i really want.

Oh yeah, I get that. It works on my phone at least but I really wish any of the tablets I've collected over the years would even run the app just for the map.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

Being an outlaw doesn't mean you're dishonorable. Sometimes he has to bend things but there's no evidence he's a psychotic killing machine unless the player makes him.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Over There posted:

I think there's a difference between playing Arthur Morgan and Trevor Philips

Arthur blowing up a pile of pig poo poo because of petty goading says otherwise.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jimbot posted:

I wish they'd patch in that fun feature Assassin's Creed Origins had (maybe Odyssey too) where you could lock the horse on to a road and it'd just run along it automatically and if you pressed a button it'd run to a manually set waypoint. That made enjoying the scenery so much better.

Or is that what cinematic mode does? I haven't really used that outside when the game prompts it.

That's exactly what cinematic mode does. If you have a waypoint selected, your horse will automatically follow roads to get to it.

Also, fun fact, you can apparently tie up your horse anywhere, not just when the prompt comes up. Feel free to tie your horse around a tree if you're worried about him running around and interrupting your hunt.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Arthur blowing up a pile of pig poo poo because of petty goading says otherwise.

An appropriate response. That guy was a shmuck. He deserved his poo poo shower.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

That actually sounds rad

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

super macho dude posted:

I accidentally shot the trapper but didn't kill him. I tried to stop him from alerting the police but eventually he got too tired and stopped running in the !middle of the woods. But it wouldn't let me threaten him.

Never mind. He showed up in Saint Denis and seems to have forgotten all about it, except now he has a huge open chest wound.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

She showed up at camp? Huh, for me I went back and he'd died and Arthur threatens to kill the son as well. "Maybe when your mothers done mourning your father, I'll keep her in black on your behalf!". Definitely the most hosed up thing he's done in the game so far imo.

I actually got a tip to go to that house for a robbery before I got the debt collection, so I killed both the guy and his son.. kinda not great when I went back there to get the debt.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jimbot posted:

An appropriate response. That guy was a shmuck. He deserved his poo poo shower.

Yeah that guy loving sucked and got what he deserved.

Gunslingers spoiler: I really enjoyed the Mexican gunslinger up in the grizzlies. If you are nice to the guys in the camp, they say gently caress off and just unload on you. If you show up and swagger in and are an rear end in a top hat, they point you in the direction of their leader, and when you're forced to kill him they shout "he's dead!" and they all just take off running across the frozen lake.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have a non-story question about later in the game: do you ever get any major camp upgrades after the boat in chapter 3? I got about $1100 sitting in there and it’d be nice to know if I’ll be able to do anything with it eventually

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh jeez lol, that's a pretty firm statement on rockstar's part. I planned to play him mostly honorable but I didn't expect to be overtly rewarded for it.

What is it with morality systems that devs just don't get? Reminds me of Bioshock 1's "morality system" which was basically a one-sided choice between "do you want a scrap of a reward right now" or "do you want a huge reward later?"

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

That all the rewards rest on positive honor is dumb.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
The reputation system suggest you have a choice, while you have not.
Maybe I misses the incentives or play it wrong.
This game punishes playing a „bad guy“ style so hard. I get that murdering sprees should force answers and make your rampage hard, but the game sadly limits your playstyle in so many ways already in minor fights and few dead people.
It just escalates so fast and exponential.
The bad reputation and loving huge red „you are wanted“- no go zones and ever raising bounties are stupid and annoying roadblocks, you even can’t get or finish some quests then.

Iirc there is an evil ending sequence, but you should be evil when no one notices, thats the way to play it seems.
But often enough you can’t stop witness and once you kill a lawmen, your day of misery has just begun.

The evil way is more a methodical and slow „stealth“ way. How boring is that?

I can’t wait for a PC Release in 2 years to play with invisibility, God Mode, reset wanted - status and with unlimited resources after the first playthrough to break all mechanics and corsets.

Oh, and what idiot designer decided that punching with fists means KILLING by the way?? :bang:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
They should have done things like other Bandits avoid you, or shopkeepers will give you a discount out of fear

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I assumed going in that playing a bad guy would get you better sales out of fear but playing a good guy would get you cheaper items.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I only punched Mr Thomas a couple times and it's because it was my only option. I didn't hurt him past that and when I got back to the camp I chewed out the German guy for specifically targeting desperate people and to not do it anymore. Not sure if that always happens.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I find it really weird that people are insisting that being a bad guy has no rewards when the whole point is that by being a dick you get everything you want for free.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Hobo Clown posted:

I only punched Mr Thomas a couple times and it's because it was my only option. I didn't hurt him past that and when I got back to the camp I chewed out the German guy for specifically targeting desperate people and to not do it anymore. Not sure if that always happens.

They gave an emotional pause in gameplay for you to reflect after, so I think they expected most people to feel like poo poo, and to show Arthur disapproved but had to conduct his business.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

This is how it went for me as well.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I wonder if the honor system will cross over into multiplayer and they're hoping to incentivize being a more friendly player

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

I find it really weird that people are insisting that being a bad guy has no rewards when the whole point is that by being a dick you get everything you want for free.

Yeah. Plus you can't lose honor if you don't get caught. :ssh:

I get that people have been trained on Mass Effect-style good/bad, light/dark, paragon/renegade systems for years, but RDR2 is going for something a little more nuanced I think. You can play the honorable man to the world at large and still do all the hootin' and hollerin' you want, so long as you're good at getting around the law.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hobo Clown posted:

I wonder if the honor system will cross over into multiplayer and they're hoping to incentivize being a more friendly player

If that's the case hopefully it will become more apparent to people that the benefit of being a black hat is being able to gently caress people over and steal their poo poo and doesn't need other rewards.

e: I like that right after finding a relatively detailed random encounter where I had to take a woman back to her home after saving her from being crushed under her dying horse, I found a dude along the road who just turned out to be one of those assholes pretending to be stranded to try and steal your horse. There also appears to be some variation in random events, where one of them was very long and scripted, and eventually I came across another stranded woman that was a much more generic NPC quest.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 29, 2018

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, I mean, just steal what ya want so no money wasted. Maybe they are upset about there being no cool outfits for being a baddie. I can see that as being a valid annoyance.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yeah, I mean, just steal what ya want so no money wasted. Maybe they are upset about there being no cool outfits for being a baddie. I can see that as being a valid annoyance.

If you want a cool black hat outfit get the black duster and black worn flat cap, you can get both in Valentine and it's a great look for being a fucko

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Here i fixed the morality system:

No costumes locked behind morality, that's dumb

High honor gives you general discounts at all vendors and a higher chance of positive stranger interactions. Raises rate of bonding with your horse, why not. Higher passive camp morale and donation rate.

Low honor hikes prices but increases loot drop to encourage you to live off your crime, gives you a higher chance of negative stranger interactions, maybe a passive damage boost against human opponents. Lowers passive camp morale and donation rate.

All in all it should be more materially rewarding to be "bad" than "good". Not easier necessarily, because robbing and killing is hard work, but it should be the quickest route to riches. High honor on the other hand results in less tangible rewards. People like you better, the world is a bit better for having you in it and that reflects in your interactions. Most people will gravitate this way because it feels good and material reward is frankly secondary.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Not sure you can actually steal most of the really valuable stuff, like guns and clothes from their respective stores and horses from the stables. Most people don't carry more than like a dollar on them. Best you can hope for is a nice pocket watch to fence eventually, and that's only if you also murder them so you can dig through their pockets.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

Hah, thats cute. If you don't believe multiplayer will instantly turn into a roaming murdering cloud of chaos you are either very naive or haven't played an online Rockstar game before.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Where do I find the option to change my horses mane

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

the_american_dream posted:

Where do I find the option to change my horses mane

The stables are this game's equivalent to a GTA paint shop.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

DrNutt posted:

Word. To me it's a little weird that they kept the honor system in place because I feel like Arthur tends to be a piece of poo poo most of the time. I was trying to play as a white hat but it's kind of annoying to have the game push me away from it so I might just lean into the black hat a bit. I like John's voice a lot more too and hearing him in this game is painful because it makes me just wish I was playing as John.

I think "trying to be a good guy but circumstances causing you to do really lovely things" is a central theme of the game.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

tjones posted:

Hah, thats cute. If you don't believe multiplayer will instantly turn into a roaming murdering cloud of chaos you are either very naive or haven't played an online Rockstar game before.

Oh I'm sure, I played a ton of GTA Online. It'd be funny if they had suits available only for high-honor players, which would be like a big blinking sign saying "grief this nerd"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Speaking of hidden or inscrutable game options, is there a way to put extra clothes in your horse's saddle bags? I traveled back up into the grizzlies and got a message about being too cold, and I remembered that the last time I changed outfits the game gave me a pop-up saying I didn't have any cold weather clothing stored in my horse gear but I didn't see a way to do that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

theblackw0lf posted:

I think "trying to be a good guy but circumstances causing you to do really lovely things" is a central theme of the game.

Yeah that's gotten a lot more obvious as I've continued to get more into the game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

Speaking of hidden or inscrutable game options, is there a way to put extra clothes in your horse's saddle bags? I traveled back up into the grizzlies and got a message about being too cold, and I remembered that the last time I changed outfits the game gave me a pop-up saying I didn't have any cold weather clothing stored in my horse gear but I didn't see a way to do that.

I remember seeing the option to do this from the outfit menu at camp.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Arthur is one of my favorite protagonists. I love how he doesn't have anything nice to say about anybody.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

DrNutt posted:

In the wardrobe, under "outfits". You'll see a prompt to pack extra outfits on your horse. Custom outfits or established ones.

Occasionally outfits I've put in there have taken themselves back out, no clue what "realism" reason there is for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

DrNutt posted:

In the camp (or in a room you rent I guess?) go to your wardrobe, pick any clothes you like and then press square 'save outfit to horse or something'. There'll be text on your screen 'saved as custom outfit X' and it'll tell you that it's available on your horse.