Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

it is a crime rocket slime 3 was not localized by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Camel Pimp posted:

I've not seen anyone mention it, but in most DQs with party chat they only say something at major plot intervals, or if you go to specific places. In the remakes of 4-6, every character gets unique dialogue for pretty much every NPC. It's pretty ridiculous. If nothing else, it makes DQ6 200% better if only for Carver's party chat lines.

ps1 dw7 had party chat responsiveness to that level plus had a party chat option in battle
use party chat in battle too many times and the monsters would just start attacking you

anyway, super cool to get to see the original version (or uh, original translation of the original version) for IV. I didn't get to play it until the DS remake and I remember that one fondly enough

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I can relate to some of the people here as I have only ever just finished Ragnar's story, after which I lost interest for some reason. However, my main reason for being somewhat lukewarm about this game after adoring 3 is due to a game mechanic that we will not see for a long while but is known to be controversial. I'm not even going to post it in spoilers just to be safe, but I have a feeling that when we get to it a few people who didn't already know are going to be scratching their heads and wondering why it was done that way; I certainly was when I first heard of it.

OvermanXAN
Nov 14, 2014
Having played through the DS remake of this game last month, I feel that while it has amazing Quality of Life improvements over the first three games, it still hasn't aged well. I honestly struggle to play the first four games (and even 5, which is one of my favorites in the series, presents me with issues), because of the lack of skills on physical characters (Especially having entered the series with Monsters).

My other major issue is that this game just feels... small compared to 3. I can't go into it without spoilers, but it's got kinda the same feel of one of those modern games with overextended gameplay tutorials where by the time you have access to all the game's systems you're basically 3/4s of the way through the game already. I also feel that it would benefit from the heavier narrative emphasis you get in the games following it, but what's present is still a step above what the first three games did and I look forward to seeing how people who haven't played it already react to certain things.

My minor but most grievous from a personal standpoint complaint is Homeland getting replaced by the wagon theme when you get it. It's one of my three favorite world map themes in the series and the wagon theme is... not.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

OvermanXAN posted:

My other major issue is that this game just feels... small compared to 3.

I actually really appreciated this. Dragon Quest IV DS (not sure about the NES game's length) gives you an entire adventure in 20-25 hours, plus more if you're a nutcase and want to do the remake-only bonus content. It's very refreshing compared to how long the later entries get.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Patter Song posted:

I actually really appreciated this. Dragon Quest IV DS (not sure about the NES game's length) gives you an entire adventure in 20-25 hours, plus more if you're a nutcase and want to do the remake-only bonus content. It's very refreshing compared to how long the later entries get.

Well if all of Japan is going to take a break to play DQ you better make it worth their while lol

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

However, my main reason for being somewhat lukewarm about this game after adoring 3 is due to a game mechanic that we will not see for a long while but is known to be controversial. I'm not even going to post it in spoilers just to be safe, but I have a feeling that when we get to it a few people who didn't already know are going to be scratching their heads and wondering why it was done that way; I certainly was when I first heard of it.
I played DQ5 and 6 first, so when That Mechanic came up, I thought my copy of 4 was broken and a menu option was missing. It was just so incredibly stupid that 14-year old me refused to believe that’s how it’s work until several GameFAQs walkthroughs confirmed it.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

What I'm mainly getting from these LPs is that I missed out on so much by playing Dragon Warrior Monsters without having played any of the main line games first. Was every single boss a callback to an earlier game?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

NAME REDACTED posted:

What I'm mainly getting from these LPs is that I missed out on so much by playing Dragon Warrior Monsters without having played any of the main line games first. Was every single boss a callback to an earlier game?

Pretty much yeah. Aside from a smorgasbord of new slimes and minor palette swaps of other enemies, pretty much everything in the DQM line is callbacks. (Now, the Joker series has some new stuff, but that's all much later. :v:)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

OvermanXAN posted:

Having played through the DS remake of this game last month, I feel that while it has amazing Quality of Life improvements over the first three games, it still hasn't aged well. I honestly struggle to play the first four games (and even 5, which is one of my favorites in the series, presents me with issues), because of the lack of skills on physical characters (Especially having entered the series with Monsters).

I am of the opinion that the lack of usable talents/spells/skills/techniques for melee types, which goes back generations, is a relic of D&D. Every D&D edition apart from 4th was built around the idea of magical vs. non-magical classes where the former is tough and hits things hard and the latter get to push all of the buttons for healing, blasting spells, buffs and the like because they are magic. It's really rather unfortunate and it's the reason that I tend to play very caster-heavy parties in games that are burdened by it... not in order to be as overpowered as possible, though caster supremacy is indeed a huge problem, but because I want to try all of the toys that the "I hit monsters with a stick" guys don't get.

MagusofStars posted:

I played DQ5 and 6 first, so when That Mechanic came up, I thought my copy of 4 was broken and a menu option was missing. It was just so incredibly stupid that 14-year old me refused to believe that’s how it’s work until several GameFAQs walkthroughs confirmed it.

There is a way around it which, again, I won't spoil until then. I am playing DQIII for the SFC right now, but I'm hoping to play this game afterwards and, if I do, I'm absolutely going to take advantage of it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

NAME REDACTED posted:

The very first DQM, the GBC one, has pretty much every single boss be a vignette from one of DQ I-VI, complete with areas themed around that game and with the overworld music from that game.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

JustJeff88 posted:

This is
I can relate to some of the people here as I have only ever just finished Ragnar's story, after which I lost interest for some reason. However, my main reason for being somewhat lukewarm about this game after adoring 3 is due to a game mechanic that we will not see for a long while but is known to be controversial. I'm not even going to post it in spoilers just to be safe, but I have a feeling that when we get to it a few people who didn't already know are going to be scratching their heads and wondering why it was done that way; I certainly was when I first heard of it.

This thing you're referring to is my only serious problem with the game. It was an awful decision and I'm glad they didn't go back to it.

I actually really like Ragnar's story; it's hard to explain exactly how much some of the little touches Frank is mentioning mattered to someone who'd played the previous three games on the original hardware in that order; just stupid poo poo like animated tiles and NPC scripting made it feel like a much more authentic world. It isn't the best thing in the game, but it's a solid way of introducing you to everything without a lot of complexity in terms of what you have to deal with on your character. Dragon Quest has always tried to balance callbacks to previous games with the idea that this might be your first one; every game teaches you how to play it in a very gentle, natural way, although even this game still has grinding in it. (I think the first RPG that really addressed grinding as a specific issue was FF4, which I didn't play until after this because I didn't have an SNES yet.)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Ramc posted:

it is a crime rocket slime 3 was not localized by the way

Neither was 2. We're lucky to have gotten 11 at this point.

OvermanXAN
Nov 14, 2014

Kemix posted:

Neither was 2. We're lucky to have gotten 11 at this point.

Backwards. We didn't get Rocket Slime 1 outside of a fan translation, and got 2.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Music: Tower dungeon

It's the kidnapper-chasin' hour, with Ragnar and Healie!

Lilypa are all-around much stronger than everything we've fought yet, with up to 21 HP, 26 attack, 20 defense, and 20 agility. They have enough MP to cast Upper once, doubling one ally's defense power. That makes for long battles, especially in the company of Healers, so I'm glad we could upgrade Ragnar's weapon before we came here. We can in fact one-shot a Lilypa as long as it didn't buff itself before we could act.

: Oh crap, Ozwargs already?
: These don't look quite as dangerous as ours.

Ozwargs here come with up to 33 HP, with 17 attack, 24 defense, and 14 agility. They only know IceBolt (single-target ice damage, a bit stronger than Blaze) and can cast it once. So we're spared the fire breath and the Sleep spells or whatever it was they used to be able to do in DW2.

Continuing the Enemy Ability Showcase, Ducksbills can cast Sap once, reducing a single target's defense power to 0. They have up to 22 HP, with 25 attack, 18 defense, and 12 agility. Alone they're not much of a threat, but we won't always be so fortunate.

Ragnar levels up here, for 3 Str, 1 Agi, 5 Vit, 1 Int, 1 Luc, and 12 HP. That's pretty nice!

Hmm. The Wing is of limited use to Ragnar for now. We can leap off the tower roof and land across the lake, and just walk to both Izmit and Burland with minimal difficulty. It might sell for decent coin though, so I use a Medical Herb to make room for it.

: By chance? Never underestimate the power of blind luck.
: The monsters in this tower are very tough! I should have let Healie whom I met in the well join me.
: You're right, you should have!
: I envy you.

That's your clue to go back to the well if you didn't find Healie there. This tower is rough chuckles for a solo Ragnar, especially considering his eight-slot inventory space is limited by his four pieces of equipment and the Flying Shoes.

We're missing the northeastern corner of this floor; it must be accessible from underneath.

This door looks intimidating, but I bet it's not locked.

Giant Bantams are pretty brutal; they come with up to 31 HP, with 28 attack, 22 defense, and 18 agility, but their true threat comes from having a chance to put their target to sleep with a normal attack. So, yeah, these huge chickens are probably the most dangerous critters in this tower. Ragnar can't quite one-shot them, so we have to eliminate the Healers first.

Pixies have up to 29 HP, with 26 attack, 22 defense, and 15 agility. Their deal is that they can cast SpeedUp once, doubling their entire party's agility. It's irritating, but it's not quite something that kills you as much as IceBolt or Sap or sleep.

This puts us at 1058 gold, almost enough for a suit of Half Plate. Healie's only got 12 MP left, so let's start heading back right away. I don't want a repeat of the last time we found a fortune in a chest.

Or... maybe we can go around the room to the south, find a way to that other chest. Yeah. That should be fine, right?

Ah, we'll be able to jump off from here instead. Whew.

Welp, we already have one of those. We can put its value towards getting an Iron Shield though, so it's no loss.

Ragnar levels up just before we leave, for 2 Str, 3 Vit, 1 Int, 1 Luc, and 9 HP.

Whew, jumping off the south ledge does deposit us on the outside edge of the lake here.

It's interesting that for once we're exploring a tower dungeon from the top down. It gives it a neat sense of progression and increasing complexity as the floors get larger and larger.

We return to Izmit, rest up, sell our extra gear, and buy a suit of Half Plate Armor. It takes Ragnar's defense power from 29 to 47! That ought to make the next trip a lot easier on Healie's MP.

We save, pick up a couple Medical Herbs just in case, then use the Flying Shoes again.

Once more, from the top.

Ah, there's that missing corner then.

Gah. That one will definitely screw Ragnar over in the long term, so we leave it behind.

Giant Bantams only hit Ragnar for 3 damage now, so that armor was money well spent.

One hidden advantage of guest characters is that they only decide what their round's action is when it's actually their turn, instead of at the beginning of the round. This doesn't always mean much, but it can sometimes make a difference. Here, an Ozwarg's IceBolt reduced Healie's HP from 22 to 8, and Healie immediately healed himself in reaction.

We're back where we left off last time, with 24 MP to Healie's name. That's better!

: Hmm, there's no way this is already the path to the floor below.

: ...what the...?
: Oooh, a healing stone!
: You've seen one before?
: These are sacred to my people.
: I can't say I ever imagined that monsters could really hold something sacred.
: Oh, we don't. I'm just saying that because I heard a human say it once.
: Oh. Okay. Is this really a healing stone, then?
: Absolutely!

Stepping on this tile causes the screen to flash for an instant, and everyone's HP and MP are restored to full. How's that for convenience?

Back to the tower, then.

Eh, Ragnar's Luck growth is pretty bad, this should be okay to use.

Welp.

: Wow. Good... work?
: Yay!

Oh, nice! The Sword of Malice offers 45 attack power (compared to the Iron Spear's 28), and it also casts Firebal for free when used as an item in battle. (Firebal is the basic group-targeting fire elemental damage spell). That's an amazing find; it takes Ragnar's attack power from 55 to 72.

: Good grief. What was I even using when I was level 9? Leonor's old Chain Sickle?
: With a name like that, you'd think it would be cursed.
: He seems to be doing fine with it.
: Huh.

You know, selling our Iron Spear should get us enough cash for an Iron Shield. I'll just make the trip to Izmit right quick; I'll be back before you know it.

...oh hey, Ragnar levels up as we leave, for 3 Str, 1 Agi, 3 Vit, 1 Luc, and 6 HP.

And we're back. Ragnar can now one-shot everything we've seen so far, so it wasn't too difficult to return here.

We could walk out the front doors here. We'd still be on the island, but we could use the Flying Shoes outside to return to the top of the tower, and jump off from there to leave for good.

: Ho! Comrade! What ails you?

: Somewhere in this world, the Ruler of Evil is about the resurrect. Also, according to prophecy, the Hero who shall defeat him is now growing up. The evil ones intend to destroy the Hero while he or she is growing and still weak. Ragnar, save all children...
: ...understood. You... you rest now.
: Are you really going to save all children? That sounds hard.
: Well... We can at least start here.

: That's why I'm here, boy. You're safe now.

: What kind of abomination are you?

: But us royal soldiers certainly have business with the likes of you!

: So you're the beast behind all this? You've done more than enough harm already. Your evil deeds end today!

:siren:Video: Saro's Shadow:siren:

Saro's Shadow comes with a ludicrous 250 HP (almost as much as Malroth had!), and it has 52 attack, 36 defense, and 16 agility. The Sword of Malice is definitely not overpowered for this battle! It has a standard attack, as well as the ability to cast Blaze, Firebal, and to "emit a fireball", which hits our entire party and is functionally equivalent to a low-grade fire breath in DW3.

: Who's this Saro, though? This shadow must belong to someone.
: I'unno!
: I'm sure we'll find out!

As tough as the Shadow is, you ignore the Giant Eyeball at your own peril. It only has up to 42 HP, with 29 attack, 32 defense and 20 agility, with a basic attack and the ability to parry. However, once it takes a certain amount of damage, it "changes expression", gaining a chance to attack twice every turn and having a 50/50 chance to either miss or land a critical hit for each! It's a lot less durable than its master though, so it's best to get rid of it quickly.

Technically you can leave the Eyeball in its basic form and only go after the Shadow, but even before the transformation, Healie may not be able to keep up with their combined damage output for very long, especially if they decide to pick on him for a bit. The second place in the formation isn't exactly the back rank.

: You're finished, demon!

: I'm sure other monsters will seek out and destroy the Hero...
: Not if I have anything to do with it! Your schemes will fail!
: All mankind will eventually be offered up to the Ruler of Evil. I'll see you in the Evil World... Gasp!

The "Evil World". I'm tempted to link that idea with the notion of "Shadowtime" from DW2, or of wherever Zoma came from before he arrived in Alefgard... but he's probably just saying "I'll see you in hell".

The cell to the west opens, and both children join us.

: Ha, don't mention it, boys. It was all the king's doing.
: We can go home, right? I heard you can go home if you jump from the top.

We get to "hear" our fellow soldier's final request again. It must be pretty important!

Saro's Shadow was clearly not the ultimate evil force behind everything, but we're still not running into any monsters anymore. It should be a while before they get bold enough to attack anyone in Burland again.

The day/night cycle is also halted. It's not the ending, but it sure behaves like it is.

: I think we did good today, Healie.
: Yay! Am I a human yet?
: It might take a bit more than this. But I'd say you're on the right path.

: Your fealty and your trust have been rewarded, citizen.

: Of course I remember! Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, so that we could resolve it quickly.

We have enough money to buy ourselves an extra celebratory Half Plate Armor, so we do so of course. How could we not?

: Not if the king's men have anything to say about it!

: Haha, maybe so. But I couldn't have done it without Healie here!
: I'm helping!

: Yeaaaah!
: ...

: I didn't do anything, to be honest. He stole a loaf of bread, it's not like he was going to stay in there for five years.

: Absolutely not.
: I was only kidding. You're so naive.
: Nice try.

: I'm sure you've earned your peace, sir. Don't feel bad about letting us carry the torch in turn.

There is technically nothing stopping you from returning here right after completing the tower with the children in tow, but if you do so...

...the king will have none of that nonsense. And if you have Healie in front, Ragnar will automatically switch ahead of him as you approach the king.

So here's what actually happens.

: Oh, my Lord! This is far too much ceremony!
: I'm truly impressed with your accomplishment. I'm proud of having a soldier like you!
: You honor me, Your Majesty!
: It must be such a comfort to have exactly one competent soldier!
: Shh!
: I will give you a reward. Name anything you want.
: Investigating these disappearances was only part of my duty, I need no reward. But... I would humbly request your permission to travel abroad for a time.
: What? You want to go on a journey?

The implication of these ellipses of course is that Ragnar faithfully reports what transpired in the tower.

: You intend to find and protect the Hero who is still a child... I see... You'll have my full support! Ragnar, this is a farewell gift from me. Take it!

Just like that, the king gives Ragnar 3000 experience points.

: ...what?
: Kings can just give away experience?
: Nobody's ever bothered to tell me this!
: I suppose your father didn't teach you about this in order to avoid uncomfortable questions about why he didn't give you any.
: I died to a pack of wild mice on the day I left! What a butt!
: Kings are often dicks, as it turns out. Who knew?

It's enough to get Ragnar two levels, for 7 Str, 1 Agi, 8 Vit, 1 Int, 1 Luc, and 12 HP.

Music: End of Chapter 1

Aaaaand that's it for Chapter 1! It went by pretty quick, didn't it? It's surprisingly short (two towns, two and a half dungeons), but it does a good amount of set-up work.

Perhaps most importantly, it introduces the notion of a main antagonist in a much more natural way than in the previous games. DW1 is like, "The Dragonlord kidnapped the princess. Go kill him. Also rescue the princess if you feel like it maybe?" DW2 is all, "The evil wizard Hargon killed your uncle. Go kill him back." And DW3 goes "There's this Archfiend Baramos somewhere in the world. He sounds like a real rear end in a top hat. Your cool dad fell into lava, so you inherit the kill order." But here, our actual job was to rescue missing children, and though we learned of the existence of a mysterious "Ruler of Evil", what we actually want to do is find the legendary hero who is apparently very young right now, and protect him while he grows up. Narratively, that's a huge step up.

On top of that, we've been introduced to a lot of enemy mechanics. Apart from Slimes, Stag Beetles and Giant Worms, every monster we've fought came with a different spell or ability, two of them being completely new to the series (Lethal Gophers building up power, and the Giant Eyeball's berserk mode). In comparison, DW3 introduced you to large groups of various jabroni melee monsters with progressively more dangerous combat stats before really getting you to deal with special abilities in a big way. Getting to fight a tough unique boss so early is also a first for the series, though DW3's Kandar comes pretty close (if you don't skip him, that is).

The solo journey could have been pretty difficult, and Ragnar is handed a lot of power fairly quickly to compensate. Getting a healer buddy is probably the most noticeable aspect of this, but the free Sword of Malice is also an incredibly strong weapon for the early game, and there are a couple chests with a ton of money, so you can get equipped with very good gear without much hassle despite soldier-types being expensive to outfit.

We're given a chance to save, which we take. Next time: Chapter 2!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, these are some pretty good points about how this game has started out. Everybody's got a trick to pull, and heck, you even get an item with special powers you can use in battle.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh you lucky little...

Since the Shadow decided to mostly stick to Blaze spells and physical attacks against Ragnar, the fight went fairly smoothly, barring a few lucky heals early on. Level 9/10 is about the lowest level you can beat that thing, but even then it might take a few tries if Healie dies early in the fight. Healie only heals himself if he's below 20 or so health (probably 50% actually), so the Shadow breath flames or cast Fireball and put Healie to about 20ish health, which is in one shot range from that Shadow's physical hits.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I remember growing up for some reason my cousins and I always used to say the tried and true "..." Was the character giving a bit of a growly "hmmm" sound. I think it probably originated from when we played Golgo 13 on the nes since that seemed to be all he said most of the time. It's stuck with me ever since and amuses me to this day for some reason to imagine characters scowling and giving a bit of a growl any time you see that "..."

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
You know if it weren't for the whole "incredibly evil" thing you could almost respect the monsters taking a proactive response to the existence of a destined hero. Of course they then lose points for not knowing which kid they need to kill.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Edvarius posted:

You know if it weren't for the whole "incredibly evil" thing you could almost respect the monsters taking a proactive response to the existence of a destined hero. Of course they then lose points for not knowing which kid they need to kill.

I mean, killing every single human child is a pretty good way of screwing humanity over anyway...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

FrankZP posted:

: I'm helping!

Healie :swoon:

Squibbles posted:

I remember growing up for some reason my cousins and I always used to say the tried and true "..." Was the character giving a bit of a growly "hmmm" sound. I think it probably originated from when we played Golgo 13 on the nes since that seemed to be all he said most of the time. It's stuck with me ever since and amuses me to this day for some reason to imagine characters scowling and giving a bit of a growl any time you see that "..."

I have a similar experience with "..." that comes from FF VIII, although the growly "hrm" is replaced with the cold, emotionless stare of Squall.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bregor posted:

I have a similar experience with "..." that comes from FF VIII, although the growly "hrm" is replaced with the cold, emotionless stare of Squall.

Whatever.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is my favorite of the NES games (VI is my favorite overall but that's never gonna get LP'd), and I enjoyed the remake, but I really hate the pointless accents that seem to be mandated in the series now

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Squibbles posted:

Bregor posted:

Y'all are lucky. I read a comment to the effect that every "..." is a fart and that's stuck with me.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

ultrafilter posted:

Y'all are lucky. I read a comment to the effect that every "..." is a fart and that's stuck with me.

: What you want to go on a journey?

: *pffffft*

: I see.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 30, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I mean...he's not lying. Chances are he's gonna fart at some point.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

tbf, cutting a hot fart in front of the king is a really good reason to go on a long journey

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

So that got us up to what, 4-5 of the other 7 soldiers accounted for?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

: That's the treatment a king deserves.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Alright! FrankZP is doing another DQ LP! Ground floo...

FrankZP posted:

Aaaaand that's it for Chapter 1!
Well I sure took my time to find this thread.

Good luck FrankZP! I never played this one so it's all new.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Alright! FrankZP is doing another DQ LP! Ground floo...

Well I sure took my time to find this thread.

Good luck FrankZP! I never played this one so it's all new.

Some people loved 3, some loved 4. I'm a 4 man. You're in for a treat.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

chairface posted:

So that got us up to what, 4-5 of the other 7 soldiers accounted for?

1: "let's go slow" guy--left the castle (eventually) to parts unknown.
2: remains in Burland
3: lost in the passage connecting Burland and Izmit
4: investigating in Izmit
5: makes it to the tower/regrets not taking Healie
6: makes it to the tower/dies after relaying a Very Important Message

Leaving one unaccounted for.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 30, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hyadain did a Ragnar and Healie song summing up Chapter 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VErJMYlmR80

Hyadain really liked this game, I guess, because there's a song for every chapter.

(If you don't know who Hyadain is, it's this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenichi_Maeyamada )

EDIT: Turn on Closed Captioning for subtitles.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 30, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

Hyadain did a Ragnar and Healie song summing up Chapter 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VErJMYlmR80

Well, that was...disturbingly cute.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

So, my game of DW II...It's gone incredibly well. I never really ran into a lot of tough fights in the cave to Rhone for some reason, and made it to the shrine on the other side at levels 21/19/15. I'll confess to cheating to get a second Water Flying Cloth for the Prince, and infinite money for expensive gear by selling Thunder Staves, but everything else was by the book. It's amazing how short this game really is once you know where to find everything.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

FrankZP posted:

To sum up the release craziness, imagine a triple-A company releasing a big-budget main installment of its flagship series on the Playstation 3 two years into the Playstation 4's life cycle. Talk about a different era, eh?

To put this into further context, Japan has a very different culture surrounding new systems and supporting older ones. Support for older systems in Japan continues well beyond what Western people consider the end of a system's lifespan (i.e., the new generation comes out), and consumers there appreciate it to the point where (some) companies will continue support just for them until it becomes absolutely unfeasible, and it continues to a lesser extent today. We're just now starting to see some of this as said games are brought here as well (PS3 Persona 5, for example, came over here, while Tales of Berseria for PS3 did not, and Tales of Vesperia PS3 very nearly was Japan-exclusive instead of exclusive for 10 years) but it's been a thing since the NES at the very least, if not earlier.

That said, loving this LP! I always adored this particular game over most of the others, just because the storytelling style was so different.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Meaty Ore posted:

1: "let's go slow" guy--left the castle (eventually) to parts unknown.
2: remains in Burland
3: lost in the passage connecting Burland and Izmit
4: investigating in Izmit
5: makes it to the tower/regrets not taking Healie
6: makes it to the tower/dies after relaying a Very Important Message

Leaving one unaccounted for.

Thanks for putting in the effort on that. I hope we see #7 at some point just lost as gently caress.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Patter Song posted:

(If you don't know who Hyadain is, it's this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenichi_Maeyamada )
And if you don't know what Hyadain is, it's the DQ spell otherwise known as Kacrack (later Icespears).

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Zeroisanumber posted:

tbf, cutting a hot fart in front of the king is a really good reason to go on a long journey

There is historical precedence for this

This Earle of Oxford, making of his low obeisance to Queen Elizabeth, happened to let a Fart, at which he was so abashed and ashamed that he went to Travell, 7 yeares. On his returne the Queen welcomed him home, and sayd, My Lord, I had forgott the Fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FisheyStix posted:

There is historical precedence for this

This Earle of Oxford, making of his low obeisance to Queen Elizabeth, happened to let a Fart, at which he was so abashed and ashamed that he went to Travell, 7 yeares. On his returne the Queen welcomed him home, and sayd, My Lord, I had forgott the Fart.

Brought it up as soon as he walked back into court.

Ice cold.