Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Post more :kayak: please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I occasionally shill for other completed games that manage to capture a gameplay loop without necessarily being the prettiest things around. I have also occasionally gushed about the Trese brothers;

https://store.steampowered.com/app/370020/Templar_Battleforce/

Five bucks for some top-down not space marine action without any Tyranids. It’s entirely not like a kind of WH40k turn-based affair with surprising depth.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

amazing

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

AngusPodgorny posted:

They've invented a new paradigm for A. Old-fashioned QA are pessimists who'll hold up a project any time something goes wrong, because if something broke during testing, it might break for a customer. New and exciting QA is about being an optimist. If something ever works during testing, maybe it'll work for a customer!

Old-fashioned QA also knows what results they should expect when they're testing the project. New and exciting QA is free of those limiting preconceptions about what might be the game -- there's no plan, no design document, and no coherent leadership, so anything could happen! Even fun!*

*NOTE: any fun should be submitted as a bug, flagged as a showstopper, and escalated to a lead developer immediately

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hav posted:

I occasionally shill for other completed games that manage to capture a gameplay loop without necessarily being the prettiest things around. I have also occasionally gushed about the Trese brothers;

https://store.steampowered.com/app/370020/Templar_Battleforce/

Five bucks for some top-down not space marine action without any Tyranids. It’s entirely not like a kind of WH40k turn-based affair with surprising depth.

These the same guys that did Star Traders?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

iospace posted:

Hey Beet

iospace posted:

Post more :kayak: please

he's mad he dropped part of his bedtime biscuit in between the crate and the wall, so now I have to get it for him

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm sorry I missed the Neal Stephenson discussion. I'm a person who loves nerdy digressions, so most of his books are strong, real, and my friend

Cryptonomicon great, the Baroque cycle Great (admittedly the first book is a slog because it is mostly setup) but Baroque is all point, counterpoint, harmony and that's what the series is, I mean c'mon

Diamond Age commits hardcore to the structure of a Victorian novel. Then it becomes a modern novel for a little bit and is very gripping, but then it goes back to Victorian form and you miss the modern take, also Judge Fang. Falls apart somewhat as it goes on

Anathem recommended without reservation

Reamde is something of a airport novel, but one that is constantly dunking on the stupidity of evo psych and econ theories that try to reduce everyone to perfectly self interested game players. All the antagonists subscribe to these views, and are in the end defeated by people who explicitly do not hold those views

Seveneves is trash garbage - filled with ideas that in the abstract are quite interesting, but as a novel it **really** doesn't work. Basically humanity sucks and dies in a catastrophe that should be called 'Deus Ex Grimdark' to get eight women together in a room to have a conversation, and after humanity constantly making plans and being crushed like especially dim bugs, everyone's all "you know what we need? More of those half-assed plans."

So I'm interested in Ian Banks, what book should I start with?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My favourite is Walking on Glass.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Love that doggo.
Please post more Kayak.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I'm interested in Ian Banks, what book should I start with?

Oh! Here's a topic I can definitely jump into. Other than general background on the Culture, there's not really any canonical order to his series. Some of them take place before, during, or after a big war, but it is always a background set piece and not terribly critical to the immediate narrative so you can jump in anywhere. I would say his mid and late stuff is best- his early stuff can be a bit pulpy. Do not spoil yourself with plot synopses, it's best to discover what he's getting at by reading it and just trust that he's got something to tell you. Be prepared for devastating endings and pretty much every character you love dying.

My favorite Banks, from top to bottom:

Use of Weapons
Excession
Surface Detail
Look To Windward
Matter
The Player Of Games
The Hydrogen Sonata
Consider Phlebas
Inversions

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here is doggo and daughter.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cryptonimicon was one of the most flabbergasting literary experiences I've ever had and I really liked the Diamond Age and Snow Crash

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Frog Act posted:

Cryptonimicon was one of the most flabbergasting literary experiences I've ever had and I really liked the Diamond Age and Snow Crash

Cryptonomicon's pretty great but you have to have an interest in cryptography and its origins in the WW2 Enigma program and also possibly messianic knowledge cults with magic powers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh! Here's a topic I can definitely jump into. Other than general background on the Culture, there's not really any canonical order to his series. Some of them take place before, during, or after a big war, but it is always a background set piece and not terribly critical to the immediate narrative so you can jump in anywhere. I would say his mid and late stuff is best- his early stuff can be a bit pulpy. Do not spoil yourself with plot synopses, it's best to discover what he's getting at by reading it and just trust that he's got something to tell you. Be prepared for devastating endings and pretty much every character you love dying.

My favorite Banks, from top to bottom:

Use of Weapons
Excession
Surface Detail
Look To Windward
Matter
The Player Of Games
The Hydrogen Sonata
Consider Phlebas
Inversions

Almost every banks fan puts Use of Weapons near the top of their lists, but i tried reading it and found it to be one of his worst. I agree Excession is one of his best. Player of Games is also one of my favourites.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That is one content dogge and the face of a daughter who is well loved. Don' let either of them buy starter packages :colbert:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That is a good dog and a cute daughter.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1056907726998118401

Once again Sean Murray is beating CIG to the punch (submarines), oh and free as well. This is actually a big thing now because Murray is giving out free updates for things that weren't promised in release, CIG on the other hand is making sure that you will have to grind for 100 hours for a starter ship. I know that NMS is grind central as well, but the fact that they are releasing all this content for free puts them well above CIG.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Oh and obligatory weird Clifford tweet:

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/1057044447287013376

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

just a normal man making 3d rape tentacles for a game populated by children

hell ya

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Morphix posted:

hell ya

So I clicked there because, hey! tentacles! and ended up in PapaFlinch's stream, who was being hosted by Miku with me as the only viewer. So... um... that was kinda awkward.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1056907726998118401

Once again Sean Murray is beating CIG to the punch (submarines), oh and free as well. This is actually a big thing now because Murray is giving out free updates for things that weren't promised in release, CIG on the other hand is making sure that you will have to grind for 100 hours for a starter ship. I know that NMS is grind central as well, but the fact that they are releasing all this content for free puts them well above CIG.

Subnautica comes to NMS? Pretty nice.

Also, NMS doesn't have to be grind central. For those who don't want you can play in a creative mode. IIRC, there are like 4 different modes?

One day i'll probably get around to buying it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Doxxer!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

actual lols at that clip

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

hell ya

when the police finally start excavating mikus backyard and find all those missing women none of his neighbors or aquintances are even going to try the ”such a nice man” routine, they’re all going be like ”oh yeah that makes total sense, we could have told you this ages ago”

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Erenthal posted:

when the police finally start excavating mikus backyard and find all those missing women none of his neighbors or aquintances are even going to try the ”such a nice man” routine, they’re all going be like ”oh yeah that makes total sense, we could have told you this ages ago”

Nah, they are going to be "women? we were expecting something weirder to be honest"

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, funding tracker is normalizing again. Dropped below 1000/hr for first time in a while.

Looks like the whales have sated themselves after an orgy of spending.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Let it be said, this guy is fine.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Erenthal posted:

they're all going to be embalmed and stuffed into his anime body pillows

Miku won't understand why everyone's upset, all he wanted to do was to preserve their essence and purity, and to accurately model their genitals into his vr chat thing

as he's being led away in a Hannibal Lector style outfit, he will repeat 'what about my spaceship pledges', a great weight finally being lifted off his shoulders

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grubby Hobo posted:

Something that has been bugging me: does the House of Roberts actually have any QA employees? We get patch after patch that is filled with obvious bugs, bugs that anyone could find trying to do the most basic things.

I've never worked at a place where the QA people would have let something like that ship. It's just not conceivable.

Either they have no QA, and rely on the backers to do it for free, or they do have QA, and treat them in the most humiliating manner possible.

It could also be that 10 seconds after a dev says he will fix what QA found, Croberts comes in and orders that dev to implement something from a movie Chris saw the day before, and to do it right now.

"But sir, I am a programmer, not a concept artist...."
"I SAID NOW! I want it done two hours from now or you are fired."

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Goblin posted:

Hey Fandred, go gently caress yourself lol

I think Fandred1 has deleted the account :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Adorable :3:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Hello CIG thread intern!

This is your friendly reminder that CIG has 9 weeks to

• release 3.3 to live
  • release 3.3.5 to evocati, ptu and live
  • implement, test and release 3.4 to evocati, ptu and live

Good luck!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Reported for doxxing.

both are adorable

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

TheAgent posted:

the start of red dead redemption 2 is rough (and by start I mean the first 30 or so loving hours jesus christ) but when you start getting shitloads of money and making cool guns do cool things in your cool person clothes it kinda clicks

there's still a ton of useless bullshit they added in here though and all I can think of is GTA4 when they decided to do the same exact poo poo and they fixed that poo poo right up for 5

hopefully they learn their lesson...again

its a great loving screenshot simulator though and the acting is swank and goddamn can you be a brutal mean loving bastard but everything game related is a clunky loving mess, especially the UI/inventory

This nails it on the head imo. I've only managed to play a dozen hours or so, but I have to think about SC quite often. The game has so much stuff where I am not sure if it actually adds "fun". It's a drat good game, and I like the pacing as it is chill as gently caress, but there is so much you have to think about. Clean yourself, shave your beard, eat, don't get overweight, don't starve, clean you gun, clean your horse, feed your horse, feed the camp, bring money to the camp, don't run into people, don't make people run into you, don't accidently shoot people because you misremembered the controls, remember how to setup a camp, remember how to cook etc. pp.

It gets better after couple of hours once you had to deal with each mechanic couple of times, and the game itself is absolutely beautiful. It's a hardcore cowboy simulation, and perfect at that, but hard to swallow at first.

Playing it, I often chuckle and think "and these SC morons want to add ten times of [imo] unneeded simshit to their virtual space-cowboy simulator".

RDR2 is at - or slightly past - the limit of how much mechanics you can and should cram into a game.

It's still good though, but I am quite sure I'll never finish it as there is so much going on I sometimes don't even know what to do first. *scratches 8/10 beard which refuses to grow longer because I need beard tonic for that

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Veik90429907/status/1057094553256243201

https://twitter.com/kinshadow/status/1057104254425477120

https://twitter.com/dihmwhit/status/1057129437278490625

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Let it be said, this guy is fine.
this guy has actually discovered ONE WEIRD TRICK to solve all their problems, and no-one will ever believe him. :laffo:

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Grubby Hobo posted:

Something that has been bugging me: does the House of Roberts actually have any QA employees? We get patch after patch that is filled with obvious bugs, bugs that anyone could find trying to do the most basic things.

I've never worked at a place where the QA people would have let something like that ship. It's just not conceivable.

Either they have no QA, and rely on the backers to do it for free, or they do have QA, and treat them in the most humiliating manner possible.

I worked on a project that was in perpetual alpha, we had a couple of 'bugs' (limitations of the engine, memory leaks, etc) which were used to close off the majority of other bugs as symptoms of the big issues. Imo they have QA but the devs can't fix the bugs they report because they're a symptom of a bigger issue which is that the core of their project is rotten.

Unsurprisingly that project went through several iterations, millions of pounds and three engines then got cancelled. It was basically the transformers version of star citizen.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 30, 2018