Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

red19fire posted:

I also somehow managed to kill the legendary bear, but then I died to some bullshit and lost the pelt. Is it permanently gone, or can I rehunt it? There was a notification about a trapper or fence having it, but it disappeared too fast.

I haven't had that happen, but apparently the trapper will still get that pelt in his inventory. You only miss out on the cash you get from selling it to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

A cowboy who don't wear he own hat? A shameful cowboy

It's how you can tell he's an outlaw that rebels against all strictures of god and man.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Anyone know what button to press on PS4 to exit the camp ledger?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
So far I've found both a missing persons poster and a newspaper article talking about a big reward being offered for finding a princess from Luxembourg with a facial birthmark who disappeared in the area 15 years ago as a little kid when her family was visiting. No mission, no hint of what to do or where to look. Anyone know if this is actually something you can do in game, or if it's just flavor? Feels like it's weirdly detailed for the latter.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

tom kite posted:

Circle from memory.

It should have a prompt at the bottom right of the screen though.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
How long do I have to wait to retry after failing a legendary animal? After Hosea's King Bear quest I tried it on my own, with a long barrel shot gun and slug ammo. I put two into its grape and it still barreled into me, one shotting me. Now, after my respawn, I don't get the 'in a legendary creature territory' message anymore.

That is incredibly dumb. Two aimed slugs into the skull of this thing wasn't enough.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I panicked and snap fired both barrels of the double barrel into its face when it first charged me and it dropped instantly. I felt like a goddamn badass.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 30, 2018

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

tom kite posted:

If it’s the first time you’re viewing the ledger right after it becomes available, you have to purchase something to leave the ledger.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how the hell do the masks work for hiding your identity? I robbed a train in the middle of nowhere with a new set of clothes, guns I rarely use equipped, and a full executioner mask on and yet they pegged me for Arthur immediately. Is there something I am missing?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm loving this game but after putting a good amount of time into it I think it's pretty much a very pretty cowboy Skyrim. Breath of the Wild is still my high mark for open world and The Witcher 3 is the high mark for games where your choices truely matter.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how the hell do the masks work for hiding your identity? I robbed a train in the middle of nowhere with a new set of clothes, guns I rarely use equipped, and a full executioner mask on and yet they pegged me for Arthur immediately. Is there something I am missing?

useful post:

euphronius posted:

Someone wanted crime info

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, just did a bank job with some of the gang. We played it cool and quiet, I oh-so-slowly cracked the lockbox combinations and we calmly walked out and made it to the end of the street before someone sounded the alarm and all loving hell broke loose.

I've now upgraded everything in camp apart from the boat (just don't see a need for it) and still have loads left over. Felt a bit bad for beating the guy on duty for opening the vault so slowly (and the final part of the mission guilt trips you even more, goddamn) but eh, this is the life we chose, etc.

Also, I still have the first horse I bought but all my pals playing this have gone through several already, they could open a glue factory with their body counts. Shameful.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Fuzz posted:

I freaked and snap fired both barrels of the double barrel into its face when it first charged me and it dropped instantly. I felt like a goddamn badass.

I did that in another save file, but I think I had regular buck shot.

This game is so janky.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
This'll have been answered so many times I'm sure but how do I feed my horse specific items like sugarcubes or carrots?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Rookoo posted:

This'll have been answered so many times I'm sure but how do I feed my horse specific items like sugarcubes or carrots?

In the horse options dial, the left most option is feed your horse and I believe you can scroll the selected item with L2 and R2.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you can also feed it lead by using L2 and R2

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
How long does it take for hair to grow back? My beard is getting nice but my drat hair has pretty much stayed at length 1 since cutting it (a mistaaaaake).

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

Did you put the mask on on the train? Or did you interact with the people you we're robbing without a mask before robbing the train? Because both of those will do it

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

DrNutt posted:

How long does it take for hair to grow back? My beard is getting nice but my drat hair has pretty much stayed at length 1 since cutting it (a mistaaaaake).

It seems to take a fair while but there is always Hair Tonic if you need it to grow faster.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

I got a cool Australian looking hat with the one side up but I lost it. Where can I find another one?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FallenGod posted:

Any mission where the game gives me a specific loadout seems to glitch my gun loadout post-mission. Luckily reloading fixes it.

For me, this did not happen. Down to 3 pistols. Guess the cattleman has to be the murdered-out death bringer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Friendly Fire posted:

It seems to take a fair while but there is always Hair Tonic if you need it to grow faster.

I did not know that existed. Oh, so I bought the digital guide because I had a bunch of Google play credit from doing the little Google surveys via their app. If you participate in their surveys and have some credit sitting around, you too might be paying less than :10bux: for the guide.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Wow, it feels like gunfights in first person are way easier for some reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like virtually everything else about it but the controls in this game are really wearing on me. Like, they are just so bloated that it’s definitely are dragging the game down for me. There are just some functions you should not be double tasking to a button.

Maybe it’s on me, but I feel like I should not be this uncomfortable playing a game 8+ hours in. It’s giving me mega Witcher 3 flashbacks where I really liked the game but hated the controls so much I still felt painfully aware of them after 70 hours.

Also for that reason the permanence of events is super frustrating. Like, I was just having a shoot off with some Mexican guy and in between rounds I went to reload and oh, Arthur put his gun away cause he just does that whenever he wants, so instead of reloading I shoved the guy which aggroed him and caused him to start shooting me. I just let him kill me in the hopes of finishing the mission but he’s gone now, of course. I feel like that kind of poo poo happens way too much and it’s so frustrating.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

I like virtually everything else about it but the controls in this game are really wearing on me. Like, they are just so bloated that it’s definitely are dragging the game down for me. There are just some functions you should not be double tasking to a button.

Maybe it’s on me, but I feel like I should not be this uncomfortable playing a game 8+ hours in. It’s giving me mega Witcher 3 flashbacks where I really liked the game but hated the controls so much I still felt painfully aware of them after 70 hours.

Also for that reason the permanence of events is super frustrating. Like, I was just having a shoot off with some Mexican guy and in between rounds I went to reload and oh, Arthur put his gun away cause he just does that whenever he wants, so instead of reloading I shoved the guy which aggroed him and caused him to start shooting me. I just let him kill me in the hopes of finishing the mission but he’s gone now, of course. I feel like that kind of poo poo happens way too much and it’s so frustrating.

I always gently caress up the controls because the contextual stuff isn't that great. Generally it's fine in missions and works great, but when you want to much around and rob people for instance, holding L2, pushing triangle, pushing up on the d-pad, firing a shot with R2, pushing up on the d-pad and it all resulting in a situation where shooting someone in the head would have been better is a bit annoying for those that want to do funny RP.

Then again I'm glad I have all the options. I reckon they could make it a little easier though.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

DrNutt posted:

On mobile so don't have the image from the guide handy, but it says hair will not grow until you rest or do something else that causes the screen to fade (eg story missions, maybe fast travel?). Then the timer restarts for the next level of growth.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, just did a bank job with some of the gang. We played it cool and quiet, I oh-so-slowly cracked the lockbox combinations and we calmly walked out and made it to the end of the street before someone sounded the alarm and all loving hell broke loose.

Hah it took me longer to do apparently cuz the sheriffs had us surrounded before we could get out.

Hm perhaps it would have been smarter to hit the dude rather than fire my gun as motivation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

I always gently caress up the controls because the contextual stuff isn't that great. Generally it's fine in missions and works great, but when you want to much around and rob people for instance, holding L2, pushing triangle, pushing up on the d-pad, firing a shot with R2, pushing up on the d-pad and it all resulting in a situation where shooting someone in the head would have been better is a bit annoying for those that want to do funny RP.

Then again I'm glad I have all the options. I reckon they could make it a little easier though.

Yeah, exactly. I don't mind them at all when I'm doing most of the story missions or when I'm just riding/running around doing low key stuff. But whenever I get into something out in the world, whether it's hunting, fighting groups of enemies or whatever it all goes to poo poo. Like, L2, oh wait I gotta hit R2 first so I can aim with L2, oh crap I need some tonics lets hang out in the menus for a bit, oh poo poo I'm dead/the prey got away. The feature bloat just totally ruins moments that would otherwise be cool.

If nothing else I think they massively hosed up by giving L2 too many functions , which is more than 1. It should draw your last equipped gun and that's it. They could have put all that other poo poo on any other button. And Melee should absolutely not share a button with reload and qte style things. Especially when the game decides on its own when Arthur is going to put his guns away. I kind of can't believe either of those made it through play testing.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Similarly, the very early mission with Hosea that unlocks the fence:

Only after looting the last bit updoors did I sorta do a double take and realize "Wait, if this game is pedantic as it's seemingly been, I better close every drawer and cupboard or else they'll notice!" Sure enough, Morgan comments on coming in and out unnoticed. I then proceed to drive the stolen wagon right in front of the house destroying any effort to be sneaky.

Game cool and good and I'm happy with it. Root toot.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It does just draw your last equipped gun if you tap it.

The controls could be a bit tighter but for me it's just mostly rough to walk precisely in small distances (like when I'm trying to reposition myself to loot an item when the button to loot flashed by as I was looking). I'm definitely not having any issues aiming or shooting.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 30, 2018

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Wow, there is a Stranger mission in Rhodes where you have to search a foreclosed-upon house for the last remaining bits of an old man's belongings.

After you read through his stuff you come to realize that this guy was involved in the slave trade, hunting down escaped slaves. However, rather than beating you over the head with the message of "Slavery is bad and this man is bad" the game actually exercises a bit restraint and shows you how broken this man is now that world has changed and totally left him behind.

It's a stellar bit of story-telling; no joke it's one of the best and most subtle pieces of writing I've ever seen in a video game before.

Bravo Rockstar.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tumble posted:

Wow, there is a Stranger mission in Rhodes where you have to search a foreclosed-upon house for the last remaining bits of an old man's belongings.

After you read through his stuff you come to realize that this guy was involved in the slave trade, hunting down escaped slaves. However, rather than beating you over the head with the message of "Slavery is bad and this man is bad" the game actually exercises a bit restraint and shows you how broken this man is now that world has changed and totally left him behind.

It's a stellar bit of story-telling; no joke it's one of the best and most subtle pieces of writing I've ever seen in a video game before.

Bravo Rockstar.

I wasn't so subtle when I dissolved his head with buckshot.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
The controls are a bit finicky at the start but once I got used to them they seem fine to me. I mean I never had issues with The Witcher 3's controls either so I guess it's just one of those things that works for some people and not for others really.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I've only played about 8 hours, but I like this a lot. It doesn't feel like GTA with horses like Red Dead 1 was, which is sort of a letdown, but it also leaves me with a completely different feeling from I think any other game I've ever played. I'm sure I won't come back to it whenever I'm done with it (unless online is cool), but I think it's a super memorable experience.

Also, I'm loving terrible at hand to hand combat and I can't figure out why. Is it just poorly designed or am I really bad at the game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ZeusCannon posted:

Did you put the mask on on the train? Or did you interact with the people you we're robbing without a mask before robbing the train? Because both of those will do it

Put the outfit and mask on a ways away from the train, then rode up and started knifing people.

It would be nice if there was some sort of indication for how identifiable you are because as it stands doing non-story outlaw stuff is almost never worth the effort.

Professor Funk posted:

Also, I'm loving terrible at hand to hand combat and I can't figure out why. Is it just poorly designed or am I really bad at the game?

It's a little clunky so don't feel bad. Basically the core loop is punch - if connects, combo, if not then block until they hit you then pummel them - block. If they are just regular dudes then just pummeling works but for big dudes you have to dodge hits with block.

Also if you are fistfighting for non lethal reasons you can automatically hogtie someone if you punch them with your rope equipped

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 30, 2018

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

It's poorly designed

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JBP posted:

I wasn't so subtle when I dissolved his head with buckshot.

Death was too good for him. Better for him to live as a broken down relic until he dies, miserably.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Do stranger missions, uh... disappear after awhile? I had two gray question mark areas on my map and hosed around with some story missions and now they're gone. Are they like, gone gone?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

They'll follow you around throughout the story if you don't stop for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Finally got The white Arabian horse. I had to go back several times, I'm pretty sure my gunshots to fend off wolves was spooking it, and it would just despawn.

Also, decided to do the gunslinger quest and I get to Billie Midnight, and during the first draw I shoot the gun out of his hand. So he whips out a second one and point it at his head. I meant to blow that one away also, but ended up just blasting him right through the eyeball. Couldn't stop laughing. I assume if I had played that better I would have got some dialogue or something? I can't imagine him having a third goddamn gun. though I guess he could have just dove off the moving train/