Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

You gotta let those events play out, they'll always find ways to hilariously murder the poo poo out of themselves, and then you can beat up the black robed guy to get a note that details his sad loving life. So far I've seen "idiots lights themselves on fire while trying to burn a cross" and "two idiots crushed to death while trying to put up a really big cross".

Also, update on Cave Satan. So far I've tried waiting out his monologue and trying to Greet (tells you to gently caress off), Antagonize (tells you to gently caress off), and threaten with a weapon (runs away further into his cave). I also tried throwing a live human sacrifice into the side room with the death pit, nothing. There doesn't seem to be any way to climb any of the cliff faces in either room to get to the tunnel complex that's above you. I did notice that you don't get the prompt to mark the location on your map until you try to leave after the monologue. I'm going to try and come back later, give it some time, maybe you have to wait a few days. I'm hoping you don't have to be capital E evil on the morality slider to complete this hidden quest lol

Okay that is pretty hilarious, but I killed the KKK with dynamite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I did the early quest where you go hunting with Hosia. I then stayed and fought a legendary bear, which involved me shooting it as it ran up to me, being mauled, somehow knifing it a bunch until it reared up, and then shooting it in the face, causing it to die with me having a tiny sliver of health left. Drinking a health potion on the horse ride back to camp seems to have healed the giant gashes in my back, as well as fixed my shirt. Unfortunately it seems I can't offload this pelt unless I go to some trapper, so I guess I'll have to ride out again.

On the way back I heard a guy yelling. He was being mauled by a wolf. I scared the wolf off by shooting it like 6 times, which somehow didn't kill it. Must have been a powerful wolf. I tried to give him a health potion, and he said "I'm bleeding out! That won't help!" and then, just as he said, he bled out. I looted a good quality badger pelt off his corpse. I'm guessing that was just some random event and not a quest I hosed up on by not shooting the wolf fast enough.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pylons posted:

Death was too good for him. Better for him to live as a broken down relic until he dies, miserably.

i punched him and he fell on to his campfire and burned to death which i think is better than that actually.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Something that I'm finding interesting is that I'm being like, way more of a dick in this game than I usually am in games that give you moral options. Like I'll help out people if they ask, but the second someone steps to me or puts the gang in jeopardy in some way, I ice them, no questions asked. And even when I do help, its usually with an asterisk. Like yeah, I'll save you from a wolf attack or something, but don't ask me to give you something for your wounds. poo poo's hard to come by out here, son.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Finished some mission and went to head to another place, and one of those wagons full of dudes shooting at you appeared and immediately murdered me. No big deal, wake up with $150 lost, but my saddle is sitting on the ground and the backup horse is here. So I put the saddle on the old horse and assume my War Horse just spawned back at camp or something, but I wasn't heading there so I went about my way. Played for an hour then stopped by a stable. War Horse wasn't listed at all.

I assume he's just permadead then? Or is it assumed he was stolen and they just left my saddle for me? Seems like an odd mechanic but I got the black Arabian in Saint Denis and named him Shep.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

uncle w benefits posted:

How long do I have to wait to retry after failing a legendary animal? After Hosea's King Bear quest I tried it on my own, with a long barrel shot gun and slug ammo. I put two into its grape and it still barreled into me, one shotting me. Now, after my respawn, I don't get the 'in a legendary creature territory' message anymore.

That is incredibly dumb. Two aimed slugs into the skull of this thing wasn't enough.

Yall shoulda done what I did and hop on top of a rock where the bear can't get you and then plink away at him with your repeater.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fart City posted:

Something that I'm finding interesting is that I'm being like, way more of a dick in this game than I usually am in games that give you moral options. Like I'll help out people if they ask, but the second someone steps to me or puts the gang in jeopardy in some way, I ice them, no questions asked. And even when I do help, its usually with an asterisk. Like yeah, I'll save you from a wolf attack or something, but don't ask me to give you something for your wounds. poo poo's hard to come by out here, son.

I'm exactly the same. I found a dude with a snake bite and was like "sorry son can't spare the medicine" then he screamed at me as I rode off and my internal monologue was "I'd give you a bullet but I can't spare one of those either" :clint:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

You shot a cop in town what would you expect to happen?

Who's reporting the crime? To whom? I
shot the sheriff. How do they know it is me?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Sedisp posted:

Who's reporting the crime? To whom? I
shot the sheriff. How do they know it is me?

You didn't shoot the deputy,from the sounds of it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

VolticSurge posted:

You didn't shoot the deputy,from the sounds of it.

gdi i was gonna post that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Who was saying a few pages back that they don't say the n-word in this game because they were wrong lol

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
People who complain about no bonuses for being a bad guy are still dumb but it is legitimately awful that I can get a bounty on my head for defending myself against O'Driscolls who start pumping me full of lead in the middle of town.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

JBP posted:

I'm exactly the same. I found a dude with a snake bite and was like "sorry son can't spare the medicine" then he screamed at me as I rode off and my internal monologue was "I'd give you a bullet but I can't spare one of those either" :clint:

Shoulda sucked him off so he'd give you free bullets then.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

snakebite guy bought me a gun

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

People who complain about no bonuses for being a bad guy are still dumb but it is legitimately awful that I can get a bounty on my head for defending myself against O'Driscolls who start pumping me full of lead in the middle of town.

Goddamn O'Driscolls.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Hand-to-hand fighting is fun as gently caress when you get good at it. I pick fights constantly now just to beat some rear end because it's such a hoot.

Oh also, all the people sad that there isn't a Nigel West Dickens in this, the man you want to meet is Charles Chaternay the painter. He's your new NWD.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Has anyone actually received the double-action revolver from the GTA online challenge?

From what I was reading, it's supposed to be in your saddlebags after chapter 1, with a gold finish and pearl grips standard. I'm most of the way through chapter 2 and I don't have it yet.

I filed a ticket with R* and got a form letter reply saying that I have to complete the challenge in GTA, which I did months ago.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Here's a better example. In Saint Denis you can stab a cop in a back alley with no witnesses instantly kill him and instantly become wanted.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I wish it didn't auto change weapons on you. I saw a guy lose his sweet horse, so I went after it. I tried calling it down but it kept running away. I eventually lasso'd it thinking I'd pull it close so it couldn't run. Brilliant! Except I tried to mount it and it threw me. When I got back up I figured I'd lasso it again! Nope, auto changed to my pistol when I hit the ground and boom, dead horse. I feel bad for the guy.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sedisp posted:

Here's a better example. In Saint Denis you can stab a cop in a back alley with no witnesses instantly kill him and instantly become wanted.

I guess that's unique to cops because I've done a bunch of robbing and murdering in nighttime St Denis and most of the time there's not even a witness to worry about. Don't kill lawmen I guess, if you're worried about bounties (you shouldn't be, hell the game rewards you for racking them up)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Slim Killington posted:

Hand-to-hand fighting is fun as gently caress when you get good at it. I pick fights constantly now just to beat some rear end because it's such a hoot.

Oh also, all the people sad that there isn't a Nigel West Dickens in this, the man you want to meet is Charles Chaternay the painter. He's your new NWD.

Best exhibition ever in my opinion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

uncle w benefits posted:

How long do I have to wait to retry after failing a legendary animal? After Hosea's King Bear quest I tried it on my own, with a long barrel shot gun and slug ammo. I put two into its grape and it still barreled into me, one shotting me. Now, after my respawn, I don't get the 'in a legendary creature territory' message anymore.

That is incredibly dumb. Two aimed slugs into the skull of this thing wasn't enough.

That's weird that it one-shot you. The bear also barreled into me and I thought "welp, I wasn't exactly expecting to succeed anyways" but then while I was getting mauled a button prompt popped up, which I proceeded to mash, causing me to knife the bear, which lead to it rearing up, time slowing down, and me finishing it off with a shot to the head. Maybe you didn't have a knife equipped so you didn't get the chance for the prompt?

It's goofy that this game, which has this annoyingly heavy focus on realism where you have to keep your horse clean and fed and poo poo, also allows you to heal from grievous bodily wounds through eating food. Like, you'd at least think they'd make you go to a doctor or something (though I'm happy they don't; I already wish I could ignore half the "realism" mechanics).

People mentioning murdering folks; I mistakenly murdered a couple O'Driscolls by pistol whipping them. They started fist-fighting me, and in the middle of the fight I suddenly started pistol-whipping them instead of punching. I'm not sure why, guess I must have pressed some button. It was apparently lethal. I never found out if anyone found the bodies, because while leaving the scene I mistakenly jumped onto some other guy's horse (I was trying to greet him, but forgot to hit L2 first while close to his horse, causing me to jump on it), causing him to start yelling at me about stealing his horse. Even after I returned it to him! I didn't want to get in trouble, so I shot him in the head. Somehow, despite being in the middle of loving nowhere, there was a group of lawmen hanging around nearby to witness the crime. They killed me. I then reloaded my save, because I don't feel like dealing with the consequences of that poo poo.

By the way, is there any harm from your camp's ammo and medicine stores going into the red prior to unlocking the ledger? Mine are both red, but I can't donate ammo/medicine yet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

That's weird that it one-shot you. The bear also barreled into me and I thought "welp, I wasn't exactly expecting to succeed anyways" but then while I was getting mauled a button prompt popped up, which I proceeded to mash, causing me to knife the bear, which lead to it rearing up, time slowing down, and me finishing it off with a shot to the head. Maybe you didn't have a knife equipped so you didn't get the chance for the prompt?

I filled it with lead and then it punched me across the map. Ah well.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Wow going into the cave to find a loving mountain lion was a Very Bad idea. I feel like some bait or a trap might have been a better solution.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
How do you rob people or horseback properly? Every single time I try, they just pull their rifle out and tell me to get lost.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Castor Poe posted:

How do you rob people or horseback properly? Every single time I try, they just pull their rifle out and tell me to get lost.

You gun them down and spit on their corpses. Woah sorry.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Has anyone done a mission called a fork in the road? What the gently caress...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

Shoot them in the face :shrug:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have a weird bug atm where Arthur's head is just constantly turned to the right lmao

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

esperterra posted:

I have a weird bug atm where Arthur's head is just constantly turned to the right lmao

So you're saying he's....

alright?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Sooo why if I choose not to have a radar on, can I not set a waypoint on the map to be followed in cinematic mode?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Depends on if you're leading or following. If you're following someone you always have to hold X/A to keep following. If you're the driver/leader, cinematic mode drives for you.

edit: oh you mean custom waypoints, I dunno how those work.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

esperterra posted:

blue steel

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I picked up a cool customised rifle in a mission and I think I dropped it or something because its out of my inventory and my horseventory

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Has anyone tried befriending the KKK? Like every article I read is all about how you get to murder them, almost like I'm not the psychopath.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I feel dumb even having to ask this. BUt is there a way to pull the reigns on the horse to get it to stop with it awkwardly spinning around?

don't pull back on the stick when you press R1. your horse will slow down and carry on facing the direction you were in.

same with left stick, there's legit no reason to push or pull the stick, just press x to speed up, r1 to slow down.

veni veni veni posted:

Why is the random combat literally 10 times harder than the story stuff? Like, I’m trying to take out this enemy hideout and it just seems ridiculously unreasonably hard.

don't underestimate sneaking tactics. getting a vantage point and scouting a camp out, then coming up with an attack plan can make a world of difference. there's almost always a few outliers you can take out silently with throwing knives or a bow or stealth kills. then once poo poo gets crazy and they've spotted you, constantly be behind cover, and take opportunistic shots at men running across open ground. don't just stand in the open firing at them like a madman.

uncle w benefits posted:

same happened with me when I put six shots smack bang in it's skull. it's just a tough fucker. try levelling up familiarity with your weapons, it increases all stats. I think this is why some people are able to two shot it with the shotgun, and others (like yourself) probably can't cause you've used the shotgun a total of 6 times.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 30, 2018

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

goferchan posted:

(you shouldn't be, hell the game rewards you for racking them up)

I mean yeah bounties should be treated like randomly generated loot bento boxes but it doesn't make the system good or immersive.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Spent days trying to get the legendary buck... and now there are no trappers to be found anywhere on the map. So I guess I’ll just drag this carcass around forever, since no one wants to buy it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn the fist fight with that dude in the bar that ends up in the street is loving brutal. Tim? Tom? Something like that. Way early mission in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kalsco posted:

Similarly, the very early mission with Hosea that unlocks the fence:

Only after looting the last bit updoors did I sorta do a double take and realize "Wait, if this game is pedantic as it's seemingly been, I better close every drawer and cupboard or else they'll notice!" Sure enough, Morgan comments on coming in and out unnoticed. I then proceed to drive the stolen wagon right in front of the house destroying any effort to be sneaky.

I left all the drawers open lmao, nothing happened. story missions are usually pretty safe. though I did threaten the sleeping dude with a knife and then knocked him out.

Professor Funk posted:

Also, I'm loving terrible at hand to hand combat and I can't figure out why. Is it just poorly designed or am I really bad at the game?

square blocks, but holding it drains stamina. so you can be a badass MMA fighter and time your blocks to when they swing to conserve stamina. if you block an attack, you can really quickly press circle to counterattack, which is usually a meaty hook that hurts them a lot. don't just spam circle though, cause they'll eventually block you and counterattack back. grabbing seems to work better on some opponents than others, a lot of people I fight tend to just break my grab attempt, unless I've already beaten their head in quite a bit. then once they're grabbed, you can choke them to death, or beat them til they're unconscious. so just alternate between blocking / dodging with square, counterattacking with circle, grabbing once they're sufficiently beat up and then finish off with a beat during grab.

Slim Killington posted:

I get into brawls all the time cause it's amazing health core XP, and fun to boot. taking on a mountain of a man and just dancing circles around his backwater village rear end is great. you might be big, son, but there's a reason I've gotten to the ripe old age of 35 (or however old) as an outlaw.

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, is there any harm from your camp's ammo and medicine stores going into the red prior to unlocking the ledger? Mine are both red, but I can't donate ammo/medicine yet.

bear one-shot me too at full health. as for the red ammo / medicine / food icons in camp, that just means they're out of stock. nothing bad, but it's a nice indicator to let you know if there's anything you can loot at them, and also signals when (and if you want) to restock them. it's not necessary but since you regularly go back to camp, it's nice to have a one stop shop for all your stuff you can grab.

I'm gonna take a pic of Arthur next time I get thrown in jail. every time the it transitions to him lying in bed, his face turns bronze and he looks like Han Solo in that one scene

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 30, 2018