Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I was curious about attendance numbers this year:

Holy poo poo Miami :stare:

(somehow a Colorado home game got given to LA?) apparently it can't deal with 163s for whatever reason (though the Rockies are properly represented as 163 games, but not the Brewers, Cubs, or Dodgers) :v:

e: Two NHL teams, with roughly half the home games and half the stadium size, had more fans attend last season than the Marlins did in their most recent season. Five NBA teams can also make the same claim (minor caveat that NBA games have more seats than NHL games in the same arena). All NHL and NBA teams beat the Marlins in average attendance.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That Pirates number is down 1,000,000 from 2015 after they blew up a 98-win team and is the lowest since PNC Park opened

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The hilarious thing is Miami beat all the NFL teams in attendance :v:

Ignore the fact that there's only 8 home games in the NFL regular season, ticket prices are much, much higher, and most of the games are sold out, with only five teams selling less than 90% of the tickets.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
BFIB :smug:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Baseball needs to leave Florida. Neither team gets support. Hell TB was in the playoff race for most of the season and is 2nd to last.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Baseball needs to leave Florida. Neither team gets support. Hell TB was in the playoff race for most of the season and is 2nd to last.
TB at least has no stadium so it’s plausible they could move, but neither will happen.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Well it's not like there's much competition from other professional sports in St. Louis.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TB actually has the excuse of a lovely as gently caress stadium. I know most owners like to point to that as to why attendance is falling, but in TB's case it definitely hurts (every other case it's that the owner doesn't want to spend money on talent).

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

iospace posted:

TB actually has the excuse of a lovely as gently caress stadium. I know most owners like to point to that as to why attendance is falling, but in TB's case it definitely hurts (every other case it's that the owner doesn't want to spend money on talent).

Its also in a loving atrocious location for anyone who actually lives there

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think Pirates' attendance will bounce back next year. They HAVE to make a substantial free agency signing though to get the local media on board.

This year you had sports radio hosts predicting 100 losses and just constantly denigrating the FO leading up to Opening Day and really all through the season. I have my issues with Huntington and of course with Nutting, but the idea that they were fielding a 100 loss team was ridiculous.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm too busy to oversee this very closely but would anybody be interested in a Be A GM thread where everybody just makes a plan for their team's off-season so we can laugh at everyone's terrible trade ideas and absurd free agent contracts?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gotta love MLB giving St. Louis a competitive balance pick every draft because of their "small market" :rolleyes:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis/status/1043946129157705729

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jrollisonpgh/status/1057287359828553729

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Gotta love MLB giving St. Louis a competitive balance pick every draft because of their "small market" :rolleyes:

Hey man, St. Louis proper is a small market. The city had more white flight than any other city, both numerically and by percentage (of any city with a population greater than 100,000). :science:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

That's the game I was at. Can confirm that it was a weather blessing compared to being back in Seattle the next weekend.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Florida will still have a bunch of spring training games; that should be plenty for them.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1057304516712914944

Angels gonna have some wicked spin rates next year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1057304516712914944

Angels gonna have some wicked spin rates next year.

Astros pitching coaches/staff gonna get so paid as soon as their contracts end.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why does the literal best pitcher of his generation turn into league average in the postseason?

Guy is a sub 3 era freak his whole career, but in a ton of post season innings he is just 4.20 ERA.

Is it

1- Better competition in the postseason / More scouting / More pinch hitters
2- Tired from having maybe the most IP of any pitcher in the past 10 years
3- Shook in the playoffs
4- Small sample size

Or a little bit of all 4?

I just dont get how the literal best pitcher turns into league average in the playoffs.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

it's small sample size but at this point you have to wonder if it's in Kershaw's head as well. six straight years of playoff runs with no success has to wear on someone at some point

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Pancakes posted:

Hey man, St. Louis proper is a small market. The city had more white flight than any other city, both numerically and by percentage (of any city with a population greater than 100,000). :science:

No wonder it looks like St Louis vomited a bunch of small towns with a side of interstate

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Something like a full point of Kershaw's ERA is due to his replacement letting all of his inherited runners score, even before Madson's epic shittery this year.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Always the underdog: Former Curve star Pearce, now a World Series MVP, has been overlooked throughout his career

The Altoona Mirror re-ran their 2007 profile of Steve Pearce when he was playing for the Bucs' local AA affiliate, the Altoona Curve.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

Something like a full point of Kershaw's ERA is due to his replacement letting all of his inherited runners score, even before Madson's epic shittery this year.

And a large portion of that is due to Mattingly not trusting his bullpen to carry more than an inning or two. Kershaw, outside of G6 of the 2013 NLCS, was generally pretty good through 6 even in October. It's the 7th when everything typically goes to poo poo, from what I remember.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

zapplez posted:

Why does the literal best pitcher of his generation turn into league average in the postseason?

Guy is a sub 3 era freak his whole career, but in a ton of post season innings he is just 4.20 ERA.

Is it

1- Better competition in the postseason / More scouting / More pinch hitters
2- Tired from having maybe the most IP of any pitcher in the past 10 years
3- Shook in the playoffs
4- Small sample size

Or a little bit of all 4?

I just dont get how the literal best pitcher turns into league average in the playoffs.

Mostly 1 and 2 IMO, with a bit of 5 - managers are a lot less forgiving in the playoffs so if he has a bad inning he's done for the game, rather than being able to go back out and possibly get back into dominant mode.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kershaw has had back problems his entire career, even more so lately, and I do wonder if it's just regular season wear and tear getting to him by the time of the postseason. He's always been a pinpoint accuracy guy even when he could throw gas, so even a bit of mechanical off-ness due to fatigue trowing that out of whack is huge.

I'm sure it's also in his head a bit, and really how could it not be? He's been to the post season eight times, is one of the best pitchers of his generation on one of the best and richest teams in baseball, and he's got mediocre performance and no rings to show for it. Every time he gets back there the narrative immediately becomes "can Kershaw not suck in the postseason this year????" You'd have to be a goddamn enlightened monk to not have a chip on your shoulder and get a little too psyched up to be perfect and shut those fuckers up forever.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sydin posted:

a goddamn enlightened monk

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

He has an account here and posted in SAS several years ago.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I'm sure it's also in his head a bit, and really how could it not be? He's been to the post season eight times, is one of the best pitchers of his generation on one of the best and richest teams in baseball, and he's got mediocre performance and no rings to show for it. Every time he gets back there the narrative immediately becomes "can Kershaw not suck in the postseason this year????" You'd have to be a goddamn enlightened monk to not have a chip on your shoulder and get a little too psyched up to be perfect and shut those fuckers up forever.

After Game 7 last year he said "Maybe one of these days I won’t fail" in a post-game interview which is some seriously :smith: stuff.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Effectively Wild was talking about this the other day. Something like 75% of his runners left on base have been allowed to score by the Dodgers bullpen in the postseason. The league average rate is ~33%. And as Pancakes notes, many of those runners end up on base because his manager pushes him too far, leaving him out there when he's clearly gassed. Roberts isn't as bad as Mattingly was on this front, but even he does it sometimes. Just look at the handling of Hill in gm4 vs Kersh in gm5 this past weekend for an example.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Not gonna lie the best part of the Red Sox winning was Price doing a victory lap of telling the media to go pound sand.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Price still has a higher postseason ERA than Kershaw but rings dominate the narratives so whatever

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Most of Kershaw's playoff peripherals are all pretty drat good and mostly on point with his career. It's his ERA and HR9 (and these two are obviously related) that really gently caress him up. Dude loves giving up dongs in the playoffs.

Also, the average OPS the last 11 years in baseball is .730. Kershaw is giving up an OPS against of .647 in his playoff career. 219/276/371 slash against.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Most of Kershaw's playoff peripherals are all pretty drat good and mostly on point with his career. It's his ERA and HR9 (and these two are obviously related) that really gently caress him up. Dude loves giving up dongs in the playoffs.

Also, the average OPS the last 11 years in baseball is .730. Kershaw is giving up an OPS against of .647 in his playoff career. 219/276/371 slash against.

The most glorious thing the Brewers did this postseason was having a pitcher take Kershaw deep.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
my untrained eye suggests that kershaw tends to throw bad pitches at bad times in the playoffs.

there's a word for this, starts with c, rhymes with much

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

my untrained eye suggests that kershaw tends to throw bad pitches at bad times in the playoffs.

there's a word for this, starts with c, rhymes with much

What does Andrew McCutchen have to do with any of this?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Giving up a .814 OPS, Kershaw is clearly unclutch vs Cutch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, he got a bunch of Yankees fans really mad at him on Twitter because he was congratulating Steve Pearce, so he's tangentially related to the WS. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i love everything about this article about bats and chopsticks