Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CodfishCartographer posted:

Why, the family pig, of course! Don’t you remember him(?)?
I remember Sir Oinks-a-lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bust Rodd posted:

If anyone were brave enough to curate a good 12th season of the Simpsons by getting the best episode from the last 20 seasons a piece I would watch them

That would be cool as long as it wasn’t some AV Club lameo that gives every modern Simpsons episode a B+ rating.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

That would be cool as long as it wasn’t some AV Club lameo that gives every modern Simpsons episode a B+ rating.

Maybe make this some kind of thread project / group activity / watch along? Maybe goons can watch and add scores, then we can total up / average out said scores. Then we can truly find the lowest point, definitively.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ive watched seasons 13 and 14 in their entirety as a cruel experiement when I had some free time and there's nothing there but darkness and despair. i wouldn't bother.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
All the episodes from like season 13 go from either terrible to slightly bad. The “best” episodes are just the least bad ones, but still bad ones nonetheless

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Oh, I've seen a lot of new episodes. You see, my housemates were from a freaky family that forbade the watching of The Simpsons. We all know people like that, right?

Awful people.

Anyway, one of them insists everything from seasons 1-25 is good, with seasons 1 all the way to 14 (and Im all like wtf 14?? I start shouting at him and i lunge at him, he breaks my spine and kills me) being the best. I don't know why he caps off at 25 when there isn't any dip in quality after 25 or anything, it's all sort of homogeneous around 14-15

I remember chuckling once in awhile during what I think may have been seasons 27/28, sometimes I'd even think "wow, if this episode was rendered in Old Simpsons graphics, this might actually pass for a Season 10 episode". But I'm afraid of actually revisiting any of those episodes incase they're poo poo. I was pretty drunk/high.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 29, 2018

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I was watching classic Simpsons clips and this got me thinking that Simpsons was probably one of the earliest shows to show video games as just a regular thing that kids do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ9_hX-v68M

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

If anyone were brave enough to curate a good 12th season of the Simpsons by getting the best episode from the last 20 seasons a piece I would watch them

there probably is enough content that you could just copy in all the good jokes from 13-30 and get a whole season out of that, itd be like one long version of Radioactive Man: The Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZcPymyjUL0

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Jose probates me every time I say post-Season 10 episode was good, but I guess I can not post for a bit.

The good ones I can remember off the top of my head post Season 20 are:

- The Lego one
- The hourlong one
- The Halloween one that WASN'T a Treehouse of Horror

So there are at least 3 good ones in 7 seasons (Season 28 has been a trash heap so far)

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
I remember there being one that was a parody of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind where Homer loses his memory that I thought was well done when it first premiered.

It's kind of a weird gimmicky episode, but I think that was one of the ones I enjoyed before I stopped watching every week.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I watched the Lady Gaga episode shortly after air because I’d heard it was a new low, but I actually thought it was pretty okay :shrug:

I even laughed at a few bits — all of them very random physical gags, but those moments were at least animated with some energy and a sense of timing, which they’ve completely abandoned in the last few years (see MargeNod.gif)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah there's one where they go on a cruise and Bart fakes an apocalypse back on land to extend it. It's far better than it sounds.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

emgeejay posted:

I watched the Lady Gaga episode shortly after air because I’d heard it was a new low, but I actually thought it was pretty okay :shrug:

I even laughed at a few bits — all of them very random physical gags, but those moments were at least animated with some energy and a sense of timing, which they’ve completely abandoned in the last few years (see MargeNod.gif)

gently caress you!!!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I have literally no idea what season they are on now.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

emgeejay posted:

I will await the satisfaction of your death every day of the rest of my life. :argh:

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

quote:

Moe and the owner of King Toot's have a fight and get arrested, forcing their businesses to be closed down. Homer buys a bass guitar that he plays wherever he is. Annoyed, Marge meets up with other wives in town who also have been annoyed by their husbands' constant playing. They decide to have their husbands form a band so they won't always have to listen to their music. Homer gathers Reverend Lovejoy on guitar, Kirk Van Houten on keyboard, and Dr. Hibbert on drums. Apu later joins as the lead singer when they hear him sing a classic song called "Hopin' for a Dream" by the famous (fictitious), heydey, 1980s glam metal band, Sungazer. They call their band Covercraft and start playing shows. At a gig at the Cabbage Festival, Apu admits to Homer that he has stage fright, but Homer suggests that he picture himself alone at the Kwik-E-Mart to cope. The gig is ultimately successful, the band gains recognition and Sungazer sees the video and asks Apu to replace their dead lead singer.

When Homer first sees the success Apu has gotten, he is happy to announce that his friend is becoming rich and successful, until Kirk mentions his jealousy and Apu points out that Sungazer are playing in Las Vegas. When Lisa calls out his jealousy, Homer corrects her, stating he is envious, not jealous, because he wants what someone else has, whereas being jealous is being afraid someone will take what you already have. Lisa quickly pulls out a giant dictionary out of nowhere, flips it open and exclaims, "Wow, he's right!" Without their lead vocalist, Covercraft's rehearsal sessions grind to a halt when Kirk volunteers to replace Apu and Homer criticizes his vocal abilities. When the others tell Homer to calm down, he angrily breaks up the band.

Marge reminds Homer that he did not start the band to get rich and famous, and encourages him to go to Sungazer's concert in Springfield Costington's to show his support for Apu. At the concert, Homer uses a backstage pass to sneak into Apu's dressing room and steal his special Apu shirt, but then overhears the band denying Apu vacation time to spend with his family and forcing groupies on him instead. Apu sees Homer and admits that he feels lonely and homesick. Homer decides to get revenge on Sungazer by having Sanjay poison them with Kwik-E-Mart hot dogs. Apu brings out the reunited Covercraft to perform until Homer and Apu get arrested by Chief Wiggum for food poisoning. Sungazer's concert subsequently falters while Sanjay mingles with the groupies.

During the end credits, Homer, Apu, Moe, and the owner of King Toot's listen to a story from Sammy Hagar in jail.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

No

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So they did a lovely reboot if the Be Sharp episode?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fitting, as The Simpsons is a show that was witty at first but seems less funny each episode after Season 10.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
how old is Ned isn't he like 100 now?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The gag of homer correcting Lisa’s grammar seems like it could’ve been kinda funny then it ruined it by having Lisa explain to the audience that homer was in fact correct

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I can't imagine someone actually watching modern Simpsons. It's so lifeless.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Elderbean posted:

I can't imagine someone actually watching modern Simpsons. It's so lifeless.

Its insanely ugly to even look at

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This is probably one of the last good jokes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLzC3nPhUEM

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Iron Crowned posted:

Wow, linguo right.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I watched a lot of new Simpsons from 2004-2009 and the only time I remember smiling or chuckling was at the "I'm a sign, not a cop" visual gag.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Iron Crowned posted:

I honestly recall the next episode (the one where Ned builds a religious theme park) to be pretty funny, but I probably haven't seen it since it originally aired

I took a look at wikipedia and the next episode that I remember being good after that one is 2 seasons later, the one where Lisa gets pressured into throwing the spelling bee, while Homer searches for the Ribwich

That episode was legitimately good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJWkjgoVmc

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
A) Lisa, after finding every key in springfield, discovers a hidden room at the school
B) Lisa becomes Krusty's sidekick; usurps his popularity
C) After Santa's Little Helper causes a ruckus at a Doggy Yoga (Doga) class, the Simpsons family's love is pushed to its limits.
D) Mr. Burns becomes a superhero

A) Ned Flanders' parents decide they prefer Homer to their own son.
B) Lisa practices entomophagy
C) There's a feud in Springfield: Lenny and Carl. The rift puts a strain on Marge and Homer's marriage
D) Homer becomes Duffman

A) Homer has to guard a Nigerian princess whom Moe believes to be relative of a scammer
B) Lisa finds out her ancestors helped a black slave escape to freedom; presents this story for
history month
C) Marge takes up rose gardening; competes in a prestigious rose competition with a rare blue rose
D) Homer takes Bart to Boston to make a point of how awful the city is.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Plant MONSTER. posted:

A) Lisa, after finding every key in springfield, discovers a hidden room at the school
C) After Santa's Little Helper causes a ruckus at a Doggy Yoga (Doga) class, the Simpsons family's love is pushed to its limits.

C) There's a feud in Springfield: Lenny and Carl. The rift puts a strain on Marge and Homer's marriage
D) Homer becomes Duffman

A) Homer has to guard a Nigerian princess whom Moe believes to be relative of a scammer
B) Lisa finds out her ancestors helped a black slave escape to freedom; presents this story for
history month
C) Marge takes up rose gardening; competes in a prestigious rose competition with a rare blue rose

Guessing the fake one again?
B
B
D

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plant MONSTER. posted:

D) Homer becomes Duffman

history month

B,A,D (like the Simpsons)

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

C
B
C

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Plant MONSTER. posted:

D) Homer becomes Duffman

history month

C, cus “doga” is too clever

B, cus lol if the writers (or the simpson-watching audience) knows what entomophagy is

C, seems too mundane for modern day simpsons, not wacky enough

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
D (I've actually seen B, B, D

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Can anyone who knows stuff about animation explain why the new episodes are so painful? It's ugly and awkward and the timing always feels off on the jokes.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

the fake episodes are all C. Thank you for playing!!!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Covercraft is only a valid name if they're covering the Alan Parsons Project :colbert:

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Elderbean posted:

Can anyone who knows stuff about animation explain why the new episodes are so painful? It's ugly and awkward and the timing always feels off on the jokes.

Old Simpsons was made to make the writers themselves laugh instead of the home audience. They could care less if you knew who Joey Bishop was, it was funny to them. The new writers also have no idea what comedy beats are because likely none of them were ever stand-up comedians. The timing of jokes in new Simpsons is incredibly laggy and the setups are too obvious and take too long before the jokes hit. Someone once said that new Simpsons seems like it should have a laugh track while the old episodes fired off so quickly with such careless joy that you would miss too much of it if there was a laugh track. New Simpsons are forced to bring in popular contemporary Hollywood stars for ratings and it forces the episode to be softened and dull instead of sharp and witty like it once was. Also, they just plain ran out of things to talk about a plain American family doing after like 200 episodes. There just isn’t that much the Simpsons can teach us anymore because they covered all the big points so many times already.

For an example of beats -
Oh my god, Dad, you killed Zombie Flanders!
He was a Zombie?

would now be
Hmm, you know... you’re RIGHT! I should have done this YEARS ago! It felt so good!*in a sexy homer voice* Maybe TOO good! *caresses shotgun*

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 30, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Old Simpsons was made to make the writers themselves laugh instead of the home audience. They could care less if you knew who Joey Bishop was, it was funny to them. The new writers also have no idea what comedy beats are because likely none of them were ever stand-up comedians. The timing of jokes in new Simpsons is incredibly laggy and the setups are too obvious and take too long before the jokes hit. Someone once said that new Simpsons seems like it should have a laugh track while the old episodes fired off so quickly with such careless joy that you would miss too much of it if there was a laugh track. New Simpsons are forced to bring in popular contemporary Hollywood stars for ratings and it forces the episode to be softened and dull instead of sharp and witty like it once was. Also, they just plain ran out of things to talk about a plain American family doing after like 200 episodes. There just isn’t that much the Simpsons can teach us anymore because they covered all the big points so many times already.

For an example of beats -
He was a Zombie?

would now be
Hmm, you know... you’re RIGHT! I should have done this YEARS ago! It felt so good!*in a sexy homer voice* Maybe TOO good! *caresses shotgun*

The original writers were all Harvard nerds not stand up guys.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Elderbean posted:

The animation definitely has something to do with it, I feel. I definitely remember a point where sound didn't sync up right in episodes and it seemed like the fact that there were lots of extra mouth and teeth movements every time people talked had something to do with it. There are just tons of extra frames for basic mouth and body movements all animated in loving detail. It almost looks and sounds like the actors are all told to read in Lisa's reaaallly loooong styyylle of prooonounciaaatioons so that that the animators can have extra time to draw lip flaps, mouth movements, teeth, etc. Shows like Ren and Stimpy that have over-done animation tend to do that a lot too. It can be any kind of physical bit, too. If Homer drove a car into a room or something in the old episodes, it would be a few frames; he'd practically appear on-screen instantly and it probably looks really goofy frame-by-frame, but it worked for conveying impact and comedy timing. Now, it'll probably be a few seconds longer with lots of debris falling on top of the obvious 3d-modeled car before the scene would continue. It would lack the punch.

fatal oopsie was on something in that it feels like they're trying to write The Simpsons for the kind of people that genuinely love Big Bang Theory. Jokes are laboriously set up to be end-of-line zingers sometimes with tons of post-script trying to explain the joke like a lovely :words: webcomic. Like the old joke about Homer eating the soap is ended by kind of a quiet four-word post-script "Wait, maybe it does" from Marge, and it's actually kind of mumbly, which you don't see now. In new Simpsons, it'd be like

Marge: "HOOOOOMERRR (I'm not gonna write the whole thing out like that, but imagine they're talking in that long, laborious style) I can't believe you didn't graduate from high school. But it doesn't explain why you ate my soap. Wait, did you eat them because you dropped out of high school? Could that be the reason you do what you do?"
Homer "That and because they were delicious mmmm shea butter agrlgrlgrlgl.
Marge: "Well we need to have a talk about you finishing high school. I never knew- Homer are you eating my soaps right now?"
Homer: "ohhhh but they're so tasty." *Homer eats a soap* "Eww, Sandalwood. Lousy stupid- hey who invented soap anyway?"
Lisa: "Well the ancient Egyptians were the first recorded civilization to use soap, but the ancient Gauls were the first that we knew of to use balls of alkaline similar to what we know as bar soap."
Homer: "drat you Vercingetorix!"
Professor Frink is just bringing Vercingetorix in through a time machine in the living room and gets a dejected look on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Elderbean posted:

Lower budget, worse writers, less effort put into the whole thing