Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Davros1 posted:

What happened to the spider in Yaz's apartment?

Nadjia posted:

Are you and my daughter seeing each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stabbatical posted:

Eleven had a lot of that as well, to be honest. It's a bit weird, thinking about it again, that Twelve was meant to be this big, dark arc for The Doctor but I don't really remember him doing anything as sketchy as drowning a whole race of children, killing already retreating foes, or blowing up spaceships of semi-alive cyborg-foes just to leverage information. He was just a bit curt about people dying for a while.

Yeah, I think that really undermined the entire thing they were going for. Like, after all that nonsense and spending hundreds of years defending a planet in Time of the Doctor, NOW you're the dark conflicted one? that's stupid

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I found this on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcwbYq7Ro8

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

docbeard posted:

Davros1 posted:
What happened to the spider in Yaz's apartment?

Nadjia posted:
Are you and my daughter seeing each other?

I now want to see cuts every so often to Yaz's family "Meanwhile back at home..." where Yaz's mother is talking to the spider like it's her daughter's actual girlfriend, inviting it to family dinners, etc.

Yaz's Mum: "I just stopped by to drop off this cassarole, I know you must be so lonely since Yaz went on assignment."

Spider: "CHITTTER CHITTER CHITTER"

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I gotta say watching the Rosa Parks episode, it could be good if the writers could make convincing dialog. It just feels like they face the camera and start expounding on why racism is bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skyl3lazer posted:

I gotta say watching the Rosa Parks episode, it could be good if the writers could make convincing dialog. It just feels like they face the camera and start expounding on why racism is bad.

Considering the world we live in, people could use just being told straight forward why racism is bad.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Jerusalem posted:

Apparently there are longstanding (and conflicting/denied) accounts of there being a lot of tunnels under Sheffield, so this may have just been playing off of that.

Honestly, I've half expected them doing something with the now filled-in "hole in the road" in sheffield. I'm old enough to remember this being under a major roundabout in the city, and Chibnall is missing a trick if it isn't the secret entrance to UNIT HQ or Torchwood: Sheffield or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Carbon dioxide posted:

You got a broken image in there.

Thanks, fixed it now.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stabbatical posted:

Eleven had a lot of that as well, to be honest. It's a bit weird, thinking about it again, that Twelve was meant to be this big, dark arc for The Doctor but I don't really remember him doing anything as sketchy as drowning a whole race of children, killing already retreating foes, or blowing up spaceships of semi-alive cyborg-foes just to leverage information. He was just a bit curt about people dying for a while.

I mean, the Doctor's been written so many ways by so many people over the years, it's inevitable. Like how remarking on the alienness of domestic life was a big thing for Eleven, then Twelve happily works as a professor for several decades.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Are the bags of recyclables in Yas' family's apartment meant to be part of the "dodgy trash company" plot, or something to explore in the future? (Two episodes about Sheffield being secretly full of trash seems a little harsh.)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It is entirely possible that 13's characterization is someone who is socially awkward or perhaps doesn't have all the answers. It could be a different take over past versions of an omnipotent Doctor

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

uvar posted:

Are the bags of recyclables in Yas' family's apartment meant to be part of the "dodgy trash company" plot, or something to explore in the future? (Two episodes about Sheffield being secretly full of trash seems a little harsh.)

It's explicitly part of it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

Honestly, I've half expected them doing something with the now filled-in "hole in the road" in sheffield. I'm old enough to remember this being under a major roundabout in the city, and Chibnall is missing a trick if it isn't the secret entrance to UNIT HQ or Torchwood: Sheffield or something.

god i hate that roundabout. Two lecture theatres about 100 yards apart as the crow flies, but it takes like 10 minutes to get from one to the other cos you need to keep zig-zagging around all the stupid crossings.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

On International Woman's Day (March 8, 2019), BF is releasing "The Eighth of March", a boxset starring some of Who's most popular female characters, and is written, directed, and produced by women.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-8th-of-march

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wolfechu posted:

Oh, we had one of those in Nottingham!

All filled in now and has been for years, but it still weirds me out a bit that I frequently drive over a long buried newsagents kiosk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fil5000 posted:

All filled in now and has been for years, but it still weirds me out a bit that I frequently drive over a long buried newsagents kiosk.

You'd think they'd have let him leave before they filled it in.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rhyno posted:

You'd think they'd have let him leave before they filled it in.

The fury of a civil engineer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They have one of those news kiosks in Harvard Square. Walk by it every day. They're forever saying they're going to tear the thing up, but so far, it's stuck its ground.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Davros1 posted:

On International Woman's Day (March 8, 2019), BF is releasing "The Eighth of March", a boxset starring some of Who's most popular female characters, and is written, directed, and produced by women.

A River Song/Leela story is the thing I never knew I needed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

docbeard posted:

It's also the debut for Jenny, Vastra's wife, for BF.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I think needs mentioning for this episode is how good the quiet moments with just Graeme in his house were.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Davros1 posted:

That's my 40th birthday!! Finally I know exactly what I want!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A ways back we started posing these "epic" fan videos and holy heck I can not wait for them to start churning them out for Thirteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKV_-2IjTmg&list=WL&index=5

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha, I never noticed that Twelve had a Magpie brand amplifier.

That's almost a deep cut.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So far this season I like the execution, especially the improved cinematography and lighting but I’m missing high concept sci-fi fuckery like the ship where time passes at different speeds on different floors, planet sized library or the weird space hotel, next week looks like it has potential.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

qirex posted:

So far this season I like the execution, especially the improved cinematography and lighting but I’m missing high concept sci-fi fuckery like the ship where time passes at different speeds on different floors, planet sized library or the weird space hotel, next week looks like it has potential.

Agreed, the show is often at it's weakest when it's just "weird thing appears on earth, doctor fixes it" IMO

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

11 always tried to be cool.

12 was always cool.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So at Decembers "Missing Believed Wiped" event it was announced that they're showing a new animated episode of a missing Who.

Speculation is settling on Macra.

docbeard posted:

A future River boxset where she meets other companions would be awesome. Susan, Jamie, Romana, Lucie.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 30, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

11 always tried to be cool.

12 was always cool.

Our good goofy son

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1057301201413439489
My hatred for the default emojis can't even begin to be comprehended by science

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fil5000 posted:

We have one of those in Cambridge!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jodie is adorable. Those facial expressions!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Its not just me right? That tree definitely has cocks growing out of it?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Avalerion posted:

All the doctors had some degree of “violence bad” as part of their message, but Thirteen may end up taking it so far it no longer ends up coming of as positive. Should we also have a beef with exterminators taking out cockroaches, or invent ethical bug zappers?

Depends. If your exterminator seems to enjoy killing things, that might be a bad sign. There's brands of pest control that focus on removing pests and keeping them from returning over killing them. There is a big difference between swatting a fly and slowly pulling off its wings.

So far, Thirteen seems less about "violence bad" and more about only returning violence when it is offered. The spiders were hungry, confused, frightened. They did kill people, but they weren't monsters, and were deserving of pity and compassion.

It's funny that I haven't read more people being concerned, not about the Doctor's pacifism here, but about the extent to which she doesn't seem as bothered by the dead people they come across. "We don't see her 'humanely' kill those trapped spiders" and not "we don't see funerals for the dead people." Says something about underlying narrative assumptions in Who.

Z. Autobahn posted:

Isn't a single instant shot to the head a lot more of a humane way to go than slowly suffocating in your own body that's too large for you?

Do giant mutant spiders have heads? If so, is a single bullet to that head going to instantly kill one? Even if so, does anybody seriously believe that CEO Bigly had the foggiest idea (or, for that matter, accurate aim)?

For all we know, his shot led the spider to a slow and agonizing death.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SiKboy posted:

The pilgrimage to the CockTree is a special part of every young lady's life.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Narsham posted:

Do giant mutant spiders have heads? If so, is a single bullet to that head going to instantly kill one? Even if so, does anybody seriously believe that CEO Bigly had the foggiest idea (or, for that matter, accurate aim)?

For all we know, his shot led the spider to a slow and agonizing death.

Also, didnt they say it was suffocating because it was too large and was exerting itself? If they could have calmed it down it might have survived long enough for the doctor to come up with a solution that didnt involve shooting it.

Rhyno posted:

The pilgrimage to the CockTree is a special part of every young lady's life.

I have heard things about Cambridge girls, I always assumed they were just rumors.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SiKboy posted:

You should probably see a doctor if you're growing cock(s) in unwanted places.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You should probably see a doctor if you're growing cock(s) in unwanted places.

You can’t tell me or my chest cocks what to do, mister

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hahaha, I never noticed that Twelve had a Magpie brand amplifier.

That's almost a deep cut.

Blame echoplex for that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1057301201413439489
My hatred for the default emojis can't even begin to be comprehended by science

That set looks like pretty. It's actually closer to what I'd like the TARDIS to look like than it currently does. The production values will hopefully really get a chance to show in the more wacky, high concept sci-fi stuff. This is also the last Chibnall-penned episode until the last one, I think, so we'll see what some of the other writers do with Thirteen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That said, didn't he take a writer's room approach so while every episode might have an individual writer's name on it, there will be some uniformity to the episodes as everybody was pitching in, working on ideas, adding dialogue/coming up with alternate views on stuff?