Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Andrew Mccutchen owns and I'm thrilled to read that the Yankees have no real interest in re-signing him

Maybe that pinstripe stink can still wash off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

tadashi posted:

I'm too busy to oversee this very closely but would anybody be interested in a Be A GM thread where everybody just makes a plan for their team's off-season so we can laugh at everyone's terrible trade ideas and absurd free agent contracts?

I'd be up for this. Would be interesting to compare my attempts to Somehow Actually A Real GM Brodie Van Wagenen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

This was a great read and it's inspired me to do something with all the broken bats I have laying around my apartment.

I'm going to get some carving tools and turn the barrels into drinking cups.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I mean it doesn't matter how good they are, they won. It just happened in a weird way.
What.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: The Mets officially hired that agent as their GM

https://twitter.com/ByJamesWagner/status/1057346134509842432

V: lolmets

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I've said all along there's no way Kershaw opts out; the Dodgers will just tack a couple years at $30M/yr onto his contract. I still think that's what happens but the fact that they didn't announce an extension like, yesterday morning makes me wonder.

I still say there's zero chance he's not a Dodger in 2019 but it's fun to speculate what he could get in free agency.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

N: The Mets officially hired that agent as their GM

https://twitter.com/ByJamesWagner/status/1057346134509842432

V: lolmets

From the comments of the press conference livestream:

"ok now let's hire the hotdog guy as medical staff"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I don't get why Van Wagenen is even allowed to do this

I wonder if his baseball clients have all fired him yet

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Julio Cruz posted:

From the comments of the press conference livestream:

"ok now let's hire the hotdog guy as medical staff"

If anyone knows about ligaments, it's the guy who deals with hot dogs all day.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

The Pussy Boss posted:

I've said all along there's no way Kershaw opts out; the Dodgers will just tack a couple years at $30M/yr onto his contract. I still think that's what happens but the fact that they didn't announce an extension like, yesterday morning makes me wonder.

I still say there's zero chance he's not a Dodger in 2019 but it's fun to speculate what he could get in free agency.

I love this situation. Both sides have leverage, Dodgers have money but really no need to extend unless his agent strongly suggests he will leave.
Honestly, adding a couple years is the most likely thing, maybe 2 at most?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Carlosologist posted:

I don't get why Van Wagenen is even allowed to do this

I wonder if his baseball clients have all fired him yet

Sheryl Ring has an article up at Fangraphs about the possible legal ramifications of hiring him ~ The Mets, Brodie Van Wagenen, and When Agents Join Front Offices

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't think he wants to leave, as much as some people seem sure he wants to go home to Texas. They'll work something out because failure to do so in the wake of back-to-back WS losses would be a PR nightmare for the franchise.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I feel like Kershaw should absolutely 100% opt out if they aren't offering him an extension. He can definitely get 70m+ total value, whether it's the Dodgers who give it to him or someone else.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Conversely I'll be stunned if Price opts out of his deal.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1057353928982122496

Also his new job comes with quite a pay cut apparently

https://twitter.com/MattEhalt/status/1055921423326343168

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I imagine this would be a dream for someone who has worked in sports for their career. Even for the Mets.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Forbes posted:

Van Wagenen also represents former NFL player Tim Tebow who is currently playing in the minor leagues.

Tebow gonna make the majors y'all

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ego symphonic posted:

Tebow gonna make the majors y'all

If he didn't make it this September when the Mets were nowhere I don't think he ever will (unless he magically becomes not-awful somehow)

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

It's not a good look that Van Wagenen is literally taking a pay cut so he can stop representing labor and start repping owners during negotiations. I'm sure its a dream to helm a team but yikes on them optics from the union's perspective.

edit: Basically, I wonder if he can even go back to being an agent after this. If he's made enough money, then I'm sure it doesn't matter.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dude made $25 million in one year. I don't know if he keeps all of that (aside from taxes), or if he has to pay something to his agency, but if he did that job even for a few years, then he has enough money for the rest of his life. Plus I'm sure he's going to make a few million from the Mets. It definitely has to be a dream job for him, it is for a lot of people.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

my friend :glomp:

https://twitter.com/uninterrupted/status/1057296051709693952

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Julio Cruz posted:

If he didn't make it this September when the Mets were nowhere I don't think he ever will (unless he magically becomes not-awful somehow)

Tebow broke his hand in July and missed the rest of the season. Otherwise he totally would have been up in September.

Maybe the injury will end his delusions but last I heard he was planning to come back and with his agent as GM... yeah. I assume the goal will be a call up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Welp

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1057366919131660288?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Look what you've done Boston, you monsters...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Least surprising news of the offseason right here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Julio Cruz posted:

Least surprising news of the offseason right here.
Jeter seemed pretty confident that they could sign him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jeter is a dipshit. Not only did the Marlins actually take him to arbitration hearings over loving $600K this prior offseason (and beat him) but they then tore the team down around him and refused to trade him after he specifically requested it after Gordon and Stanton got moved. Why the hell would he sign an extension with a team that made every effort to torch their relationship with him?

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine being an MLB prospect and you find your way into the Marlins organization. I mean poo poo I'd rather be a SP for the Mets with no health benefits at this point and let the GM negotiate my contract.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well, yeah, he's not going to come out and say "JT's fed up of being the only major league talent on a triple A roster", is he?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hako posted:

Imagine being an MLB prospect and you find your way into the Marlins organization. I mean poo poo I'd rather be a SP for the Mets with no health benefits at this point and let the GM negotiate my contract.

It's probably not a bad place to be cause you have a reasonable shot at making it onto the major league roster.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Popete posted:

It's probably not a bad place to be cause you have a reasonable shot at making it onto the major league roster.

"Major league" roster.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Why would you want the Dodgers to chase expensive bullpen arms when they so consistently fizzle? Just look at Colorado this year for the most recent example. Building a bullpen is difficult, and simply throwing more money at the problem is not a reliable solution.

I don't know how you can talk about Kershaw not being in this FO's price range. If this team can't retain a franchise icon like him then what's the point?

I do hope they find a way to bring Ryu back, presumably they'd only do it with some playing time incentives.

Right, but we went the complete other direction and threw almost no money at the problem, expecting to strike gold again with budget-conscious signings, "clever" trades and starter-to-reliever conversions. I was exaggerating with my "all the reliever" talk (and should have articulated trades as part of the gameplan as well) but its not crazy to hope for, like, Adam Ottavino at 3 years/$33 million or a Brad Hand-esque trade using a strong prospect, in addition to the dumpster diving. Don't get me wrong, the offense was The Problem this year. However, the insistence of a big market FO on building a bullpen mostly out of scraps feels like unnecessary hubris that hopefully can be sidestepped a bit now that the luxury tax counter is reset.

The Kershaw thing is mostly emotional for me, not financial. There's also the injury risk and diminished velocity (though I think he will probably adjust to that). I lean toward wanting him to stay, but my faith in him moving forward is definitely shaken.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hako posted:

"Major league" roster.

In terms of paycheck, at least.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Julio Cruz posted:

In terms of paycheck, at least.

Is there really a ton of variance in rookie contracts?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hako posted:

Between major league and AAA there is.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hako posted:

Everyone gets league minimum as a member of the MLBPA. But it's a massive step up from a can of beans and a host family.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hako posted:

You make low to mid five-figures in the minors. League minimum for major leagues is $500K+

It's close to if not more than 10x the money for most guys.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I used to skate occasionally with AHL players the prospect of getting called up to the show was just about all consuming for those guys. You went from earning a decent middle-class salary to a giant upper-class salary literally overnight, not to mention no longer having to ride the bus.

Imagine if you have to be better than 30 or so other guys in your office , All of whom are almost the best at what they do, but not quite THE best, and if you can be that fraction of a percent better, you earn 10 times the money

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

You make low to mid five-figures in the minors. League minimum for major leagues is $500K+

It's close to if not more than 10x the money for most guys.

Single-A guys make literally $1200 a month, and they are only paid during the season. Usually hundreds or thousands of miles from home, often not speaking the local language, living on the good graces of host families. In the offseason they usually go home, their training is usually on their dime unless they're a primo prospect, and most of them take lovely part-time jobs to make ends meet.

MLB league minimum for 2018 was $545,000. That's a pretty big step up, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/si_mlb/status/1057401123659829249

:tif: