Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaa Boogie posted:

Huh? They are.

They are?! I swear to god i’ve looked at the map over a hundred times and i’ve never seen game symbols besides the legendaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

rap music posted:

you have to first identify them as perfect specimens and then get a perfect kill using the appropriate weapon and ammo

What's the difference between a bold perfect and a brass colored perfect on this chart?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Fix posted:

When do I get to fish? I'm getting pretty mad that I can buy bait but can't so much as steal a rod or reel when I see one leaned up against a house.

You have to do a quest for John in chapter 2 called Pouring Forth Oil, after which a quest will pop from Abigail called A Fisher of Men.

Those quests didn't become available for me until after I'd finished the collection missions for Strauss.

Substandard posted:

I also am interested and can't figure out animals. I want my sweet trapper clothes, but how do i find "perfect" pelts?. I tried lassoing the deer and knifing them, I tried shooting with arrows, in the head, etc. but nothing seems consistent. I have been skinning everything in the field, so I can take multiple pelts at a time. I feel like I should just be able to one shot them in the head with anything and be fine, but apparently the game doesn't like that.

This was answered pretty well, but to add on to the "kill with one shot" thing: just because an animal runs doesn't mean it wasn't mortally wounded. You can chase down wounded animals until they drop, which I would assume still counts for a perfect pelt?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Kawabata posted:

Yes, it's ridiculous how much deeper are the blacks

It’s 1899, you can’t talk like that anymore.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hub Cat posted:

If you look at the pictures again in your satchel they will show up on the map again. Its in the documents tab under pictures.

Thank you.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

a7m2 posted:

most if not all do, on the back

i must be looking in the wrong place

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy hunting, my only issue is when I bag a perfect skin off a large animal and stow it on the back on my hurse I always seem to run into a stranger out in the world that needs a ride, but I can't give em a ride if I got a legendary bear skin on the back! Sorry lady!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So can a bull elk just take indefinite normal arrows to the brain without dying?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I enjoy hunting, my only issue is when I bag a perfect skin off a large animal and stow it on the back on my hurse I always seem to run into a stranger out in the world that needs a ride, but I can't give em a ride if I got a legendary bear skin on the back! Sorry lady!

Not only that but they always seem to want to go in the opposite direction. I'm starting to play by my own priorities now.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Yeah gently caress giving those people a ride. Most of them are just 'ah well, I understand, no problem' though.
I do kill all the bounty hunters that are transporting those 'innocent' criminals. The more criminals that are out there in the world, the less change they come after me :clint:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Lakbay posted:

They are?! I swear to god i’ve looked at the map over a hundred times and i’ve never seen game symbols besides the legendaries

Yeah, though it's important to roam around and observe the wildlife I think.

I believe Arthur fills in those symbols and other landmarks as you come across them. But so long as I'm not zoomed all the way out there's marks for different animals, non legendary

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yeah, though it's important to roam around and observe the wildlife I think.

I believe Arthur fills in those symbols and other landmarks as you come across them. But so long as I'm not zoomed all the way out there's marks for different animals, non legendary

Yeah, I've noticed that they appear on the map after I've killed something

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

meatsaw posted:

Not only that but they always seem to want to go in the opposite direction. I'm starting to play by my own priorities now.

"sorry ma'am but I gotta make this bear into a hat"

*shoots a whole flock of geese and rides over 1,000 rabbits as I exit*

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Dead Eye has been loving me up. It says I can press R1 to select a target but it seems to paints everything, including the horses or random people in the background. Is there a more controlled method that I'm missing? Tired of killing innocent horses :cry:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

androo posted:

Dead Eye has been loving me up. It says I can press R1 to select a target but it seems to paints everything, including the horses or random people in the background. Is there a more controlled method that I'm missing? Tired of killing innocent horses :cry:

yeah you unlock the tagging targets with R1 at some point in chapter 2. I think it happened for me on the train robbery with Sean, John and Charles.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know if you can have more than one temporary horse following you?

I'm picturing a hunting trip with my horse and like 3 temp horses so you can really load up on pelts.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

TMMadman posted:

I'm picturing a hunting trip with my horse and like 3 temp horses so you can really load up on pelts.

Maybe if you're riding another horse while lassoing a third horse, while you whistle for your primary horse to follow you? Horse.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I named my horse BoJack because I'm uncreative.

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

So can a bull elk just take indefinite normal arrows to the brain without dying?

The first elk I saw I killed with two arrows to the head. So, that's a negative.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shut up blegum posted:

Maybe if you're riding another horse while lassoing a third horse, while you whistle for your primary horse to follow you? Horse.

I've had both my horse and a temp horse follow me while I was driving a cart.

I may have to try it out later

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Iron Crowned posted:

Mine is Roach for similar reasons

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How close must I get to study an animal? I got within 20 yards or so of a rabbit and a deer and couldn't check either

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Temp horses can sometimes seemingly vanish. I've had a main horse and three temps following me for a while with icons then one vanished but I didn't see it happen so I don't know what the deal was. Maybe it fell off a cliff or maybe the game lost interest in maintaining 4 horses.

Study animals with your binoculars.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Phi230 posted:

How close must I get to study an animal? I got within 20 yards or so of a rabbit and a deer and couldn't check either

Use your binoculars

Killing and skinning them also counts as a "study"

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Are any fish, or animals, or fishing equipment gated behind plot missions besides the one that unlocks fishing?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

grissenko posted:

The first elk I saw I killed with two arrows to the head. So, that's a negative.

No clue what happened then, those hits were direct.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Hobo Clown posted:

Aren't there drawings of different animals added to the map? Or is that just meaningless decoration?

:aaa:

Gonna try this later, I'd only been greeting once and it felt a little underwhelming, especially with all of the "you can talk to ANYONE" hype the press was giving it before release. Do you eventually learn names or is everyone just "stranger" forever?

I do like greeting people while riding by at full speed. "HOWDY MA'AAAAAMM"

I haven't gotten names, but let me give you an example of how this plays out.

Greeted one guy sweeping outside in Saint Denis, he replied with the usual "hi there". Next time I hit greeting though Arthur said something like "that looks pretty tiring" and the guy replied with "yea but I need to do it to take care of my sick mother" or something like that.

It's just little things that really help flesh out some otherwise nameless NPC

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Brain Curry posted:

Are any fish, or animals, or fishing equipment gated behind plot missions besides the one that unlocks fishing?

Some of the rifles you need for certain birds? and extra big animals? seem to show up later in the story.

You don't get it from the story I don't think but you do need to find instructions for poison arrows before you can start crafting them. They're out in the wild somewhere but the fence in the big city also just sells them.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 30, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hey mister :haw:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

gently caress sake I lost my new horse in the most retarded loving way imaginable, whilst simultaneously dying at the same time.

gently caress you game.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

TMMadman posted:

As far as I can tell you can only have a single temporary horse. But if you jump onto a random 0 bond horse, you can then have your temporary and permanent horse both follow behind you.
Used this to transport 3 bison skins to the trapper at once, but after my bond went up with the extra horse and I got off and back on it toggled into being my temporary horse, while my other one toggled off and stopped responding to whistles.

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
It feels like there are tells in poker that I'm missing. One particular model seems to clear his throat when he's bluffing but I can't full-on confirm that yet.

There's not much info out there so far about this. Anyone got an idea?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Hey mister :haw:

Well alright, jeez, dont get your britches all up in a bunch.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I just got this game last and got through the part where you find John on the mountain. '

Probably gonna be playing it online soon so any Xbox One goons feel free to hit me if I'm online

GT: CASTLE BR4V0

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

The default name is “My Horse” so uncreative me tried naming it “My Whores”. Apparently, in a game where you live with, pimp out and occasionally kill whores, you are not allowed to use the word for naming an animal.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Are there any real cool horses?

The one scripted scene with the horse that kicks its owner in the head had a pretty loving decent horse, miles better than the $150 I bought. Of course I can sell it for $3.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Hobo Clown posted:

Mine is Roach for similar reasons

:same:

I'm genuinely curious how many other people have done this as well.

I'm really not liking how horse collisions work in this game. I was approached by a random NPC who wanted to race me and I accepted, but I failed it when I collided in to two other NPCs taking up both sides of the road after coming over a blind hill (also they pulled their guns out and tried to shoot me because I wasn't pissed enough at this point). Also, in Saint Denis, my horse accidentally walked in to someone while I was trying to mount him which triggered a fist fight and ended with me getting a $50 bounty on my head. It's so easy to accidentally hit people in Saint Denis because the roads are so narrow and congested. It wouldn't be so frustrating if it weren't for the fact that the game was so eager to punish you for every little thing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Julius CSAR posted:

I just got this game last and got through the part where you find John on the mountain. '

Probably gonna be playing it online soon so any Xbox One goons feel free to hit me if I'm online

GT: CASTLE BR4V0

Just to make sure you're not about to be in for disappointment, there is no online mode yet. Unless you just wanted to be in party chat or something while playing single player you're not going to be playing RDR2 online for about a month.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

ravenkult posted:

Are there any real cool horses?

The one scripted scene with the horse that kicks its owner in the head had a pretty loving decent horse, miles better than the $150 I bought. Of course I can sell it for $3.

There are 3 "rare" horses. Two are in fixed locations (white arabian and a tiger mustang or something) and the third is a specific color pattern on some other horse that shows up at random stranger camps and you'll probably need to kill the owner to capture it. I forget the specific name of the latter two, but I went and captured the white arabian yesterday and it is awesome and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So like a huge dumbass I blew almost all my starting money on a Varmint Rifle, which I proceeded to pimp out in all the fanciest upgrades. I did this because I was totally sure I'd be able to make that money back by killing small animals. I don't think this plan is going to work out.

Is this rifle good for anything else? Should I use it against people? (I would assume no, since it's only .22, unless it's particularly accurate or something)