Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

John Murdoch posted:

The Thieves Guild in Skyrim is just so bad. I feel like the main storyline is reasonably well know for being a complete and total mess, featuring multiple segments where control is taken away from the player, a mystery that breaks down the more you think about it, and forces the player to get roped into some crazy cult bullshit to complete it. But I think the real tragedy is that they clearly spent so much time on that piece of poo poo that it devoured resources that could've been used for, y'know, actual thief poo poo.

In order to become Arch-Mage of the Wizard's College you go on a great big adventure, plumbing caves for legendary artifacts, talking to supernatural beings, and getting into all sorts of shenanigans before finally saving the day from a substantial magical threat. In order to become Guild Master of the Thieves Guild (despite the core storyline explicitly putting you in charge already) you have to grind out a bunch of randomized jobs to unlock four incredibly basic side missions no different than any other minor quest in the game after which they finally formally declare you the leader.

You'd think there might be some kind of big heist job to pull, but nope. The closest you get is following somebody else into an Indiana Jones scenario to steal some sacred jewels.

And the fact that you have to give up one of the best items in the game for a painfully mediocre reward is just :cripes: thieves guild blows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

The Thieves Guild in Skyrim is just so bad. I feel like the main storyline is reasonably well know for being a complete and total mess, featuring multiple segments where control is taken away from the player, a mystery that breaks down the more you think about it, and forces the player to get roped into some crazy cult bullshit to complete it. But I think the real tragedy is that they clearly spent so much time on that piece of poo poo that it devoured resources that could've been used for, y'know, actual thief poo poo.

In order to become Arch-Mage of the Wizard's College you go on a great big adventure, plumbing caves for legendary artifacts, talking to supernatural beings, and getting into all sorts of shenanigans before finally saving the day from a substantial magical threat. In order to become Guild Master of the Thieves Guild (despite the core storyline explicitly putting you in charge already) you have to grind out a bunch of randomized jobs to unlock four incredibly basic side missions no different than any other minor quest in the game after which they finally formally declare you the leader.

You'd think there might be some kind of big heist job to pull, but nope. The closest you get is following somebody else into an Indiana Jones scenario to steal some sacred jewels.

I still love Seamus Young's breakdown of this questline

https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14422

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Notably, however, you do not need to have any magical ability at all, which is a little weird. I get Bethesda wants people to be able to see all the content with one character but that’s a bit out there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I haven’t played Skyrim but it sounds like they blew their wad with Oblivion’s thief guild. It’s hard to top stealing an Elder Scroll I guess.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Also Dirge in the thieves guild, who some writer thought was so clever he has a repeatable dialogue option to ask him why he's called that.

"Its because I'm the last thing you hear :smuggo:" Dirges are played AFTER someone dies you dumb gently caress

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Danaru posted:

Also Dirge in the thieves guild, who some writer thought was so clever he has a repeatable dialogue option to ask him why he's called that.

"Its because I'm the last thing you hear :smuggo:" Dirges are played AFTER someone dies you dumb gently caress

Wow, that would be so easy to fix, like "You won't hear me until you're already dead".

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the crown af barenziah, the reward for collecting all 24 of barenziahs stones scattered throughout skyrim, is even worse. a, its ugly as gently caress. b, none of the stones have quest markers unless you download a mod and even then its annoying as poo poo because it puts 24 quest markers on your compass. c, the reward for wearing the ugly as gently caress crown of barenziah is an increased drop rate for gemstones.

looking at it from a conceptual level, its even dumber because finding the stones naturally takes for loving ever and the way the elder scrolls works is you level up by doing basically anything and the slow then rapid acquisition of wealth normally occurs throughout the couse of the game, so by the time you collect all the jewels and build the ugly as gently caress crown of barenziah, the bonus drop rate for gems means nothing because you are already rich as gently caress and the only other use for gems is crafting jewelry to level smithing, which youve probably already done because youve been playing on the same character for 130 hours in order to collect all those jewels which are scattered throughout skyrim and not marked in any way

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Also iirc some of the gems are in places that you only go to for quests and are difficult to return to after the quest is completed, and they didn't make backup stone locations for some reason so the quest is just not worth the hassle. You also can't remove the quest from your log once you pick up one of the gems.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They did change the location of the one permanently missable gem.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Danaru posted:

And the fact that you have to give up one of the best items in the game for a painfully mediocre reward is just :cripes: thieves guild blows

The Skeleton Key is a whole weird design situation by itself. For starters, if you bother to invest in lockpicking the capstone skill (beyond easier master lock picking) is unbreakable picks anyway. It's also one of those quests where you can technically just gently caress off with it and keep it permanently at the cost of not completing the questline, AFAIK. And honestly...I don't even feel like I need an unbreakable pick? Lockpicks are plentiful, cheap, even regular shopkeepers often sell them, and I don't feel like the minigame is particularly difficult once your skill level is high enough to the point where I don't even need the perks (and the few that give unrelated loot bonuses and the like are all kinda poo poo).

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I still love Seamus Young's breakdown of this questline

https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14422

I had read that ages ago so I was thoroughly forewarned, but going back and re-reading it it's interesting to note that some of the finer details went over his head. Nothing that really changes how awful the storyline is though.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Notably, however, you do not need to have any magical ability at all, which is a little weird. I get Bethesda wants people to be able to see all the content with one character but that’s a bit out there.

Eh, the thing is every character in Skyrim has magical ability by default, and there's no limit, cost, or penalty of any kind to hoovering up spell books as you find them and learning loads and loads of spells. For the college, you do need to be able to summon a flame atronach to to get in to begin with, which unless there's a rare, rare scroll for it in the world somewhere you're only doing by using the spell (and I guess smartly? if you're totally untrained in magic you won't actually have enough mana to cast it and have to actively pick mana-ups on level or resort to "faking" it with potions/enchantments anyway). Similarly, parts of the main questline feature :airquote: puzzles :airquote: that require you to use fire and ice magic to proceed. That said, it is still weird to be appointed Arch-Mage basically just because you adventured good enough and then showed up in time to murder the bad guy without ever needing to display more than low-to-mid level magical prowess.

im pooping! posted:

the crown af barenziah, the reward for collecting all 24 of barenziahs stones scattered throughout skyrim, is even worse. a, its ugly as gently caress. b, none of the stones have quest markers unless you download a mod and even then its annoying as poo poo because it puts 24 quest markers on your compass. c, the reward for wearing the ugly as gently caress crown of barenziah is an increased drop rate for gemstones.

The fun thing is, you don't actually have to wear the crown to get the bonus. It's just magically gifted to you upon completing the quest while the crown gets to be a gaudy trophy in the thieve's guild. After I found about half of the stones on my own just by snooping around I went ahead and used a guide to find the rest (and good thing too - I had missed a path in a dungeon I had already cleared out that had one of them) and now I've basically broken the game. It's not a minor buff to gem drops, it's a loving ridiculous boost that adds 1-4 extra gems (weighted towards 2-3) to more or less every single treasure source in the game, with seemingly equal odds of any given type, including the naturally more valuable diamonds, emeralds, and sapphires. Combined with completing the Thieve's Guild to open up all of the fences and grant them a whopping 4000 gold to exchange I now essentially have infinite money.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Oct 31, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Helheim a place so cold no flame can be brought there.

So why is my axe handle still burning? MY IMMERSION

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

summon a flame atronach to to get in to begin with, which unless there's a rare, rare scroll

1) There's a fixed spawn for the Summon Flame Atronach scroll
2) It can just need Magelight at low level
3) Or just. Dragonshout.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't really like how you end up as guild leader in Skyrim quests. You spend a load of time running round murdering things and collecting loot, which doesn't remotely make you suited for an adminstration and leadership role. And then you get to be guild leader, you basically have nothing to do and so you bugger off to become the leader of another guild or whatever.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also despite being the leader you at no point actually make decisions and either the quest ends and you have nothing to do or you continue to do whatever menial tasks they need. It's really odd.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Also despite being the leader you at no point actually make decisions and either the quest ends and you have nothing to do or you continue to do whatever menial tasks they need. It's really odd.

With the Mages College, they at least establish that the actual person running the place is one of the senior teachers, while the Archmages just goof off in their room unless someone important stops by.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Agent355 posted:

That's pretty much Skyrim's sorta thing though - it's a vast game where you can a ton of stuff, but all the stuff is extremely shallow and has no bearing on anything. There's no depth to any aspect of the game, but there's a ton of it so it doesn't stand out as much as it should.

I've been playing Hitman lately, and I have no goddamn idea how to parse the DLC's structure. I got the Complete First Season on disc, then bought a Season Pass (for the Complete First Season) that gave me access to more missions. But there are other missions that I don't have access to, from 'bonus missions' DLC. Try to gain access to it, it says I don't have access to it. I have the option to download the content for three of the six episodes of the game, no idea why. I now have a digital version and a disc version on the game on my dashboard. Most missions are available, some aren't. I have no idea what the gently caress is going on, and from searches on the internet, I'm not alone.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Morpheus posted:

That's pretty much Skyrim's sorta thing though - it's a vast game where you can a ton of stuff, but all the stuff is extremely shallow and has no bearing on anything. There's no depth to any aspect of the game, but there's a ton of it so it doesn't stand out as much as it should.

"Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" is kinda Bethesda's Thing nowadays.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mikl posted:

"Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" is kinda Bethesda's Thing nowadays.

Fallout 76.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I feel like the skyrim guild thing would be better if instead of guildleader you got like an, "official top operative" sort of post. Cause like yeah, you don't make any decisions or administer anything.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Not doing the Mods Will Fix It bit but that was one feature I really liked from the Immersive College of Winterhold mod - after you become archmage you can just say to Tolfdir "hey you're way more qualified than me and I want to gently caress off and do something else" and he goes "yeah that makes sense" and you make him archmage.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I feel like the skyrim guild thing would be better if instead of guildleader you got like an, "official top operative" sort of post. Cause like yeah, you don't make any decisions or administer anything.

You're also, like, never there. Just, "you're the guildleader now, have some armor, :byewhore:"

The line about Dirge would've been better if they just didn't even have a line explaining why he had the name. Just let the player figure it out. But I guess Bethesda thinks players wouldn't get it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ESO concludes faction storylines better than the mainline games have. Like their Dark Brotherhood? You end up a silencer sure, which is a big boy position, but you don't end up as literally the most important person in the whole org, you top out at "Personal actionman for one of the speakers" which is about as far as you could actually go where it'll make sense that you're a noteworthy person, but not a permanently on-call "Required for the organization to work" level actor.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Oblivion tried to do that where you had to get names or something from the night mother statue or something but that’s all you did and it gave you like 300 gold each time so there was no reason to ever do it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

Oblivion tried to do that where you had to get names or something from the night mother statue or something but that’s all you did and it gave you like 300 gold each time so there was no reason to ever do it.

That was another time where you became the straight up Listener, aka THE most important dude in the whole group, wherein the entire thing doesn't work without you going and doing your thing :v:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion and to a lesser extent in Skyrim were the only Guild quests where it even got close to making sense why they'd make you their leader.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Agent355 posted:

That's because the 'guild master' position is just a scam they're running on you. I mean, what else would you expect a group of thieves to do?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Post poste posted:

1) There's a fixed spawn for the Summon Flame Atronach scroll
2) It can just need Magelight at low level
3) Or just. Dragonshout.

Weird, didn't realize it was that variable/open-ended.

Also a new annoyance: Skill trainers cannot train you past level 90 in a skill. This isn't so bad for main combat skills that you'll inevitably be exercising all the way through the game. It is, however, incredibly annoying for armor skills where you need to actually take hits to train them, which becomes harder to do naturally as your offense grows. And it's exceedingly dull for crafting skills, where the only answer is to just...make stuff. Except the only reason I'd normally be making more stuff is to upgrade my gear, and I can't easily do that because Daedric stuff requires Daedra hearts and Dragonbone is unlocked at 100. On the plus side, as long as I can get my hands on silver or gold, I can get loads of XP by smithing high quality jewelry with the embarrassment of jewels I have from the Crown bonus, but it's been a struggle to actually find and accrue more of either.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 09:26 on Nov 2, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

ESO concludes faction storylines better than the mainline games have. Like their Dark Brotherhood? You end up a silencer sure, which is a big boy position, but you don't end up as literally the most important person in the whole org, you top out at "Personal actionman for one of the speakers" which is about as far as you could actually go where it'll make sense that you're a noteworthy person, but not a permanently on-call "Required for the organization to work" level actor.

ESO has better writing than any of the other games other than, like, 1/3 of Morrowind. It's bizarrely well written, the post-launch content anyway

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

ESO has better writing than any of the other games other than, like, 1/3 of Morrowind. It's bizarrely well written, the post-launch content anyway

They actually used their famous voices pretty well in ESO too, Malcolm McDowell gets to be a big booming evil voice over the whole main questline as Molag Bal, any time you hang around the Skald-King you get to listen to Peter Stormare ham it up as a big viking, The Prophet is Dumbledore's second actor (Michael Gambon) who does well as another aged magic man obviously, Kate Beckinsale's the Dominion queen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's just a lot better overall than it has any right to be, it's a really good game now.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The engine is excellent too; I can't believe FO76 is built on their loving Morrowind-era Gamebryo port while ESO looks and runs so well with so many players.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It was cool of Bethesda to make a big deal about their commitment to single player then rush out a multiplayer Fallout.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

suuma posted:

You're also, like, never there. Just, "you're the guildleader now, have some armor, :byewhore:"

The line about Dirge would've been better if they just didn't even have a line explaining why he had the name. Just let the player figure it out. But I guess Bethesda thinks players wouldn't get it.

Have you considered the fact that Dirge might just be an idiot?

Anyhow, on to the Witcher stuff. Still playing the first game, and reading the books simultaneously, and while I'm not to the point in the books were the character sit around eating lead paint chips, I feel that must happen at some point with how much dumber recurring characters are.

I will also say that the quest "The Source" and it's associated forced dilemma can suck my dick and balls. There's no logical reason for it, and if you had the option for all the involved characters to sit the gently caress down and talk things out like adults it wouldn't be an issue.

Also, before reading the books, the settings prejudice against wizards seemed cruel but after reading as far as I have it's totally loving justified.

Finally, the whole lovely treatment of women is (so far, as of book 4) totally on the games, the books are nowhere near as bad towards women.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
gently caress, you're all making me want to play ESO.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
In Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter, your incredibly annoying adopted daughter is reading Bram Stoker's Dracula and says she was assigned it at whatever boarding school she was sent to. Dracula was published in 1897 and was basically considered pulp fiction for a long time after that, there's no way this would be assigned reading as if it was some sort of classic in a 19th century school!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

gently caress, you're all making me want to play ESO.

Give it a shot, base game plus the Morrowind DLC is only $20 on Steam.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ESO and Lord of the Rings Online are actually pretty good games in their own right.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I got Undertale the other day and I think Papyrus is an unfunny piece of poo poo who ruins every scene he's in, Sans is alright though, he's chill.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Judge Tesla posted:

I got Undertale the other day and I think Papyrus is an unfunny piece of poo poo who ruins every scene he's in, Sans is alright though, he's chill.

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Judge Tesla posted:

mods???????