Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People forget about the 'trick' part of it

Today, TP, tomorrow, molotovs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

pushpins posted:

I feel like this thread has lost its focus and I want to bring back a Halloween classic

Kids from poorer neighborhoods keep coming to trick-or-treat in mine. Do I have to give them candy?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2014/10/dear-prudence-on-halloween-poor-kids-come-to-trick-or-treat-in-my-neighborhood.html

i mean, be fair, there is a direct response to this in the article and it tells the guy off for being miserly and says "just shut up and give them candy so they don't show up with pitchforks"

so like, sure the letter is dumb, but its also an obvious set up for a huge spike

i grew up in the heart of the burbs and i remember after moving to a more metropolitan area i was surprised by trick-or-treaters in cars from all over the city. at first i didn't like it either because i always saw it as a community thing: like, do it in your own neighborhood/community cuz that's part of the fun. you learn the area, meet the people, can walk instead of drive, etc.

then i learned that i was just thinking like a privileged douche and just let the families do whatever cuz who gives a poo poo and not everyone has the same background as i did. like seriously, who loving cares. its kids showing up for candy in costumes.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The only thing I don't understand is parents that stalk-drive down the street with their kids.

It's like, either park+walk with them or let them be free, don't half measure that poo poo.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Retromancer posted:

The only thing I don't understand is parents that stalk-drive down the street with their kids.

It's like, either park+walk with them or let them be free, don't half measure that poo poo.

dude

its kinda cold out there.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Retromancer posted:

This is where the pushback against leftism comes from though. People are miserable in their jobs and think that the only way to keep the populace working is to keep threatening their lives on a daily basis unless they work, and therefore if you didn't have to work everyone would sit around and sponge all day, and the idea of this drives a lot of people nuts. It's where the welfare queen narrative came from and it's the narrative behind dismantling even the most basic social safety net programs like food aid. It's deeply ingrained in our culture and I don't know how you dismantle that.

The thing is that a lot of work is completely useless bullshit. The guy who writes intrusive popup ads to advertise fart apps isn't providing some vital social value that we'd be missing out on if he lounged around all day instead. In fact, capitalism is tying him up with wasted work when he could provide far more value to society if he were freed from the profit motive and could instead spend that time doing unprofitable work such as volunteering.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people sitting around and sponging all day - it's just that they're not poor. There's plenty of rich failsons sitting around in do-nothing jobs that exist only to get them out of the house so they can leech off the family fortune from the comfort of their own private office.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

So the government needs to be the one turning the knobs?

The people need to be turning the knobs, via democratic processes. What we have now is a bourgie dictatorship.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the answer to the American fetishization of labor is the imposition of labor laws and a safety net that allow people to gently caress off for years at a time, anything else is basically inconceivable given the degree to which the entire US political system and discourse is built on feeling spiteful about other poor people

most of my friends are uneducated, apolitical laborers and they vote democrat but the only political topic that engenders actual passion is disability or welfare because they know a fat person on it / their racist stepfather insists all homeless people are part of criminal begging rings and make a thousand dollars a day. that kind of inextricable bile rotting inside them can't be talked out of them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dreddout posted:

To the anime appraisal mines with you, citizen

there's another one i can't find where it's a person talking about how they have panic attacks at the grocery store and are looking forward to running the fire department after the revolution

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RaySmuckles posted:

dude

its kinda cold out there.

It's sixty in upstate New York

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing is that a lot of work is completely useless bullshit. The guy who writes intrusive popup ads to advertise fart apps isn't providing some vital social value that we'd be missing out on if he lounged around all day instead. In fact, capitalism is tying him up with wasted work when he could provide far more value to society if he were freed from the profit motive and could instead spend that time doing unprofitable work such as volunteering.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people sitting around and sponging all day - it's just that they're not poor. There's plenty of rich failsons sitting around in do-nothing jobs that exist only to get them out of the house so they can leech off the family fortune from the comfort of their own private office.

Yea I was watching a documentary on the f-35 and it's depressing to watch probably top level engineers and billions of dollars being put towards a murder machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPvzEr33maM

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's sixty in upstate New York

unsung benefit of climate change: easier to trick-or-treat in skimpy costumes

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

pushpins posted:

Yea I was watching a documentary on the f-35 and it's depressing to watch probably top level engineers and billions of dollars being put towards a murder machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPvzEr33maM

does it soften the blow or make it worse that it's not even a very good murder machine

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

unsung benefit of climate change: easier to trick-or-treat in skimpy costumes

uh only children trick or treat :yikes:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Dog posted:

So the government needs to be the one turning the knobs?

Actually for starters, requirement #1 is that the capital itself isn't turning the knobs (as it mostly is now), as it'll inherently seek to consolidate and grow itself infinitely to form a featureless sphere of wealth growing as fast as physically possible, as incompatible this is with providing any utility for nonzero part of the society, incompatible with maintaining the environment over long term horizon, etc.

You can make anyone in particular being in control sound scary or immoral but it's pretty clear the current arrangement doesn't and cannot work and it'll kill everyone if it's going to keep going. So yeah, until someone comes up with a better idea, I'm okay with "the gubbirmint" or "the pyorple" because while I'm sure there's a million ways that could go wrong, at least there's also ways it could go right, unlike what we have right now, which simply cannot.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frog Act posted:

I don't think they're trick or treating for candy

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kobayashi posted:

I don't think they're trick or treating for candy

smell my feet isnt a threat for some people

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

pushpins posted:

quote:

"By 2014, the program was $163 billion over budget [and] seven years behind schedule"
:captainpop:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's 2018 and I'm pretty sure that failson plane can't even shoot its gun yet

look at this dumbass piece of poo poo:

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Oct 31, 2018

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Turns out trying to replace 4 different planes with vastly different mission profiles with 1 airframe is really dumb. Who knew?

Like you read the initial concepts of what they wanted the F35 to be and it sounds like the fever dream of someone who played too much mechwarrior.

Retromancer has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Oct 31, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Retromancer posted:

Like you read the initial concepts of what they wanted the F35 to be and it sounds like the fever dream of someone who played too much mechwarrior.

This but then later someone who never was able to play Steel Battalion as a kid got into the mix along the line, too.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
the stupidest thing about the f35 is that it has a human pilot

lmao at having organic components in your murder machine

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dead Beef posted:

The stupidest thing about the F-35 is literally everything about it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the f-35 is if elon musk designed a military jet

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
with one button the chinese dark army will shut off all the machines so it's a moot point anyway

pretty pretty cool how we let isreal start this global cyber war with our technology

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shear Modulus posted:

the f-35 is if elon musk designed a military jet

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's great how we went from mostly shut in nerds building amazing mindblowing poo poo, like a plane, a fridge or an MRI or even getting people to the moon, to rich outspoken i love science nerds pretending to be geniuses while ruining absolutely everything they can lay their gaze on.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Retromancer posted:

This is where the pushback against leftism comes from though. People are miserable in their jobs and think that the only way to keep the populace working is to keep threatening their lives on a daily basis unless they work, and therefore if you didn't have to work everyone would sit around and sponge all day, and the idea of this drives a lot of people nuts. It's where the welfare queen narrative came from and it's the narrative behind dismantling even the most basic social safety net programs like food aid. It's deeply ingrained in our culture and I don't know how you dismantle that.

This didn't really hit me until I was talking to some voters on my way back from canvassing today. I brought up the topic of UBI, and I could not dislodge them from the idea that people have to have an existential threat of starvation and homelessness to want to work. I quit my job two months ago because I couldn't stand working as a cashier anymore. I hate not working though, and while I concede that there are some people who would just lay around and sponge, I can't imagine the proportion of those folks are as high as the number of anecdotal welfare sponges I hear about. It seems like everyone has a story about it and I don't have a clue where that comes from.

Is anyone familiar with papers on the subject? I'd like to read some academic works on attitudes toward work and unemployment.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
reagan ('s handlers) are widely regarded as inventing the welfare queen myth

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Dead Beef posted:

Hell yeah, I mailed a copy of a Bolo book to DARPA and they gave me thirty million dollars, I just have to duct tape a Glock to a Roomba sometime in the next six years

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Frog Act posted:

in finding this again, I discovered that it's the last comic tim kreider made before 9/11, which is kind of funny, I guess

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
F-35 is great, I'm all for making the US military into a giant, lazy, paper tiger

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

World War Mammories posted:

in finding this again, I discovered that it's the last comic tim kreider made before 9/11, which is kind of funny, I guess

I just realized the kid is shirtless, tattooed, and is wearing a speedo, and has a spiked collar.

I have seen this comic like 40 times.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Imagine F-35 money being spent on other things
The F-35 of public healthcare
The F-35 of feeding the hungry
The F-35 of __________

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I don't recall which thread it was in but someone said something like "Vietnam was when the military-industrial complex realized that it's more profitable to lose wars than to win them" and it's been bouncing around my head ever since

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Woof Blitzer posted:

Imagine F-35 money being spent on other things
The F-35 of public healthcare
The F-35 of feeding the hungry
The F-35 of __________

Public healthcare but medical examines have glitches that have caused the deaths of multiple doctors and patients

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Retromancer posted:

Turns out trying to replace 4 different planes with vastly different mission profiles with 1 airframe is really dumb. Who knew?

More like a 12 year-old who is having fun smashing lego's together, but actually controls 100's of billions of dollar's and man-hours.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

More like a 12 year-old who is having fun smashing lego's together, but actually controls 100's of billions of dollar's and man-hours.

it is basically this if the kid was also a mil tech nerd.

"this is my super plane where it's a bomber that is also an air superiority fighter and it has VTOL and stealth and does CAS missions."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Groverplane

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

No plane in history has had so many cigarette lighter ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Retromancer posted:

it is basically this if the kid was also a mil tech nerd.

"this is my super plane where it's a bomber that is also an air superiority fighter and it has VTOL and stealth and does CAS missions."

Also supersonic.