Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Got a train to St Denis and got off on the opposite side to my horse. Train started pulling away as all I could hear was my horse in pain getting repeatedly run over and the icon for my buffalo hide got slowly pushed along the tracks. Game can be so cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

super macho dude posted:

You dont need a watch to tell the time ffs, just hit down on the dpad.
You need a watch to tell time in STYLE though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How long do wildlife tend to take to repop? I'm one cougar pelt away from the last satchel but these things are more elusive than the panthers were.

Also anyone else find other knives but they disappeared on them? I found this neat knife in the corpse of a bear but after skinning something the thing disappeared from my inventory. I can select the pirate cutlass I found but not that new knife.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can dual wield now. This is cool as gently caress.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Are horse balls a myth btw I have like 5 horses and they're all mares :thunk:

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.
Are there any particularly negative effects from being really low down on the honour scale? Honestly, it feels weird getting penalised for robbing people when Arthur is literally part of a gang of robbers. Also there are some parts of the story missions that really don't gel with an honourable Arthur. Like finishing up one of the debt collections after you complete the Valentine bank robbery. After causing his father's death, and causing him and his mother to leave their homestead, the son gives you a little backtalk about how mean you are. And Arthur's response to this teenage boy is something along the lines of "...and maybe after your mother's done mourning your daddy I'll give her a reason to stay in black" and it's genuinely scary the intensity behind it. While his mother's fetching the debt money making it just Arthur threatening a kid for kicks

The scene in question (very slight spoilers, obvs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jume-W_IzeM&t=1426s

Also, does anyone else think the bounty/wanted system would be better if they split the cities/towns into their own separate zones?

DeadLetterOfficer fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 1, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man, Arthur is a hard 36

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Junkenstein posted:

Got a train to St Denis and got off on the opposite side to my horse. Train started pulling away as all I could hear was my horse in pain getting repeatedly run over and the icon for my buffalo hide got slowly pushed along the tracks. Game can be so cruel.

The loving St Denis train does this every time and I have to carefully move the horse, then wait ages for the train to leave as you're basically boxed in. It's extremely poo poo.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DrNutt posted:

Wtf is John Marston spending his time hatless? Who is this guy, because it's clearly not the John Marston I know.

I can't wait until they throw his hatless butt in jail

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

Are there any particularly negative effects from being really low down on the honour scale? Honestly, it feels weird getting penalised for robbing people when Arthur is literally part of a gang of robbers. Also there are some parts of the story missions that really don't gel with an honourable Arthur. Like finishing up one of the debt collections after you complete the Valentine bank robbery. After causing his father's death, and causing him and his mother to leave their homestead, the son gives you a little backtalk about how mean you are. And Arthur's response to this teenage boy is something along the lines of "...and maybe after your mother's done mourning your daddy I'll give her a reason to stay in black" and it's genuinely scary the intensity behind it. While his mother's fetching the debt money making it just Arthur threatening a kid for kicks

Nah there aren't any negative effects for low honour, but I have heard a few people comment "that man there, he ain't no good" and similar when I walk by because it is true that Arthur is a bad, bad man.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is it possible to mess up the game from killing an NPC you shouldnt kill?

Also I want to be a bad guy but I dont want to be shot at and chased constantly.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

JBP posted:

Nah there aren't any negative effects for low honour, but I have heard a few people comment "that man there, he ain't no good" and similar when I walk by because it is true that Arthur is a bad, bad man.

maybe it's a coincidence but since I went deep into the red on honor it seems like people are way, way less to put up a fight when I antagonize and rob them. people are awful generous all of a sudden

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ChocNitty posted:

Is it possible to mess up the game from killing an NPC you shouldnt kill?

Also I want to be a bad guy but I dont want to be shot at and chased constantly.

It's easy to avoid bounty hunters because Arthur has ECHELON level satellite threat monitoring via the minimap so the worst thing that will happen is you might have to wheel around them on the way somewhere (or do the actual bad man option and set up a good old fashioned bushwhack).

The only situations in town that are a hassle are in St Denis, but honestly you're just as likely to run over a little old lady and end up in a storm of lead anyway.

goferchan posted:

maybe it's a coincidence but since I went deep into the red on honor it seems like people are way, way less to put up a fight when I antagonize and rob them. people are awful generous all of a sudden

My honour is at the absolute minimum. I haven't noticed a change, but honestly I'd start shooting at Arthur with min honour because he's likely to kill you after he robs you. High honour should have people comply because they know if they do, he won't throw them into an alligator swamp. It's the whole thing where pirates never really fought and sailors never really defended cargo because there was an understanding that it's better to just get robbed and live than fight and that the pirates themselves were better served not killing everyone because it meant problems with future robberies.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 1, 2018

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Which aiming do people prefer? I felt like I could never headshot with default but I'm not that great with a controller for free aiming either

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I just aim assist and don't worry about being good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Aim assist + flick up to the head is the pro aiming strategy in this game

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

DarthBlingBling posted:

Has anyone seen Gavin?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I finally did it. After thinking people were idiots for accidentally assaulting innocents, I strangled an old lady instead of climbing on my horse.

It's clear they designed Saint Denis to be crowded and irritating in line with the anti-progress message that a lot of cowboy media has - the cities are expanding and the old way of life is gone.

I wonder if the city will just be murder central in RDRO compared to elsewhere where it's easier to see people coming and going as well as get away easier.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's pretty clear that they designed that city for a game that didn't have a nightmare control scheme created by an alien who has no concept of user interfaces. They somehow managed to make the quick-wheel, something that came up for quick access to items, a major piece of garbage.

Edit:

For example: Want to restore some dead eye? Go into your wheel and hit L2 or R2 dozens of times to find what you need. Do you want to restore the outer? Reinforce the outer? Reinforce the core? Restore the core? Reinforce the outer but hurt the core? Reinforce the core but hurt the outer? Restore the outer but hurt the core? Now add a bunch of variants to that and it's ridiculous. Rockstar should probably pull their head from their rear end and cut back on all the bullshit. Maybe not burn out their talent with 100 hour work weeks by having so much poo poo.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 1, 2018

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

The Fool posted:

Aim assist + flick up to the head is the pro aiming strategy in this game

My unintentional strategy is to aim assist + flick up to the hat. I harvest the best shot off hat and wear it until I lose it/shoot off a better hat. Survival of the fittest hat.

Jimbot posted:

It's pretty clear that they designed that city for a game that didn't have a nightmare control scheme created by an alien who has no concept of user interfaces. They somehow managed to make the quick-wheel, something that came up for quick access to items, a major piece of garbage.

The whole system of having to simultaneously hold in a shoulder button, aim and maintain a stick in a certain direction, then scroll with triggers through 15 different weapon choices. then possibly use the d pad to select an ammo type, all while getting shot at in slow motion and watching as my horse slowly but surely runs headfirst into a tree makes me feel like an 80 yr old man playing a video game for the first time in his life. Also, I probably released the stick half a second before releasing the shoulder button or I panicked and hit the shoulder button twice and accidentally tried to feed my horse Classic Oatcakes at a full gallop while being ambushed by 10 LeMoyne raiders so it was all for nothing and now I'm getting shot to poo poo while trying to 3 point turn my horse over a boulder in a swamp.

DeadLetterOfficer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 1, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

My unintentional strategy is to aim assist + flick up to the hat. I harvest the best shot off hat and wear it until I lose it/shoot off a better hat. Survival of the fittest hat.

lmao

I like the cut of your jib.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Really disappointing that Arthur doesn't gently caress in this game when he's CLEARLY a dude who fucks.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately, arthur is too weary to gently caress

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
His cult only allows sex with the leader

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

super macho dude posted:

Really disappointing that Arthur doesn't gently caress in this game when he's CLEARLY a dude who fucks.

My Arthur is a brokeback mountain kind of guy. Thats why he helped out that dandy animal photographer instead of robbing him.

Has anyone found padded riding jeans that dont have wired looking piss stains on them? Even the fancy tailor in St.Denis doesn't stock clean padded riding jeans.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 1, 2018

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Arthur is too busy sulking and murdering to gently caress anyone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When I was helping out my best buddy Charles Chaternay (big end of chapter 5 spoiler) he was dressed as a woman and kissed me to avoid being detected by creditors, husbands of wives he hosed, bartenders whose bar he took a poo poo on, etc and I'm pretty sure he's got TB now... Sorry Charles :(

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Oh wow, I just got to Lemoyne and love it. So different from the rest of the map, and it just feels muggy looking at it.

Also, where's the best place to find bison? I ran into giant herds on the plains east of Valentine twice, but every other time I've passed through since I can't find them.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

ughhhh posted:

My Arthur is a brokeback mountain kind of guy. Thats why he helped out that dandy animal photographer instead of robbing him.

Has anyone found padded riding jeans that dont have wired looking piss stains on them? Even the fancy tailor in St.Denis doesn't stock clean padded riding jeans.

All I want is a smart looking black jacket/coat so I can look like your typical western black hat. The clothing options are oddly infuriating. It's like Rockstar went through every famous western outfit and left out one important piece of clothing on purpose.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm at Dead Eye Level 4 and it still auto-paints my shots wtf help.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I'm at Dead Eye Level 4 and it still auto-paints my shots wtf help.

You unlock the manual tag system through a story mission. The levels are just stat bonuses I think.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

All I want is a smart looking black jacket/coat so I can look like your typical western black hat. The clothing options are oddly infuriating. It's like Rockstar went through every famous western outfit and left out one important piece of clothing on purpose.

My Arthur is black hat as gently caress. You can get a black duster coat, then wear a black and gold fancy vest, black shirt, black/gold tie and plated boots. Cap it off with the stalker black hat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Why give it for free when you can buy yourself a 500,000 dollar shark card and buy it for that much in-game?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

Oh wow, I just got to Lemoyne and love it. So different from the rest of the map, and it just feels muggy looking at it.

Also, where's the best place to find bison? I ran into giant herds on the plains east of Valentine twice, but every other time I've passed through since I can't find them.

The plains near the oil plant (the one where you steal the oil cart from).

Also be on guard at all times during night time when in the swamps of Lemoyne There are weird inbred cannibals that are called night people

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

These 2 guys were threatening me out in the wilderness so I prepped up the cool revolver draw Deadeye move you can do, lined up 2 shots to their heads and ended up shooting both their hats off

Never have I felt more badass while at the same time feeling like a stupid rear end in a top hat

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You unlock the manual tag system through a story mission. The levels are just stat bonuses I think.

Thanks! After looking it up it looks like I need to play the "Pouring Forth Oil" mission.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

JBP posted:

My Arthur is black hat as gently caress. You can get a black duster coat, then wear a black and gold fancy vest, black shirt, black/gold tie and plated boots. Cap it off with the stalker black hat.

You can make Arthur look pretty much exactly like Angel Eyes

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I wear the White Buffalo Jacket and ride a white stallion so that people are extra surprised when I shoot them in the back of the neck to steal their $.74.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calaveron posted:

You can make Arthur look pretty much exactly like Angel Eyes

Yep. Give him a pomade slick back hair cut and a nice moustache and you've got yourself a very dapper, very bad man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Dang first person is surprisingly good

Adds a ton of scale to everything when my camera isn’t 15’ above me, and I’m seeing details I’ve been completely over looking