Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Spacedad posted:

The food & drink mechanics are pretty much there to give the player a reason to keep exposing themselves to radiation outside of the environment or enemies. They generally don't slow up the gameplay very much even when you don't have any perks that offset them. But you basically do have to manage a reasonable supply of food, water, and meds. I found it pretty easy and only had to mouse click for some food/water every so often - it's hard for me to judge but I'd say it's roughly about as or less frequent than keeping yourself fed than say, minecraft or games like The Forest.

Dealing with rads accumulation has always been a fallout staple, and that's pretty much what food & drink revolves around.

Also, some of the better food items you can cook or find give you bonuses. And rotting food itself is a crafting item for useful stuff.

I haven't explored too deeply beyond the low-to-mid-level areas, but according to players that have, the more dangerous irradiated zones in the game have much scarcer clean food and water.

There also appears to be a farming mechanics in the game based on the park cards so the food and drink mechanics can be overcome. I really think the survival aspects of the game are going to play out almost identically to how they do in FO4: run around getting shot up and irradiated until you find enough duct tape and desk fans to reach your end goal of building a self sustaining settlement. My main concern at this point, outside of the physics being tied to the framerate, is how long will it take to get to that point and what kind of fun will the game offer after you've reached that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
If my FO4 experience is translatable, a sustainable settlement is step one, then I would start running recon patrols.

Like, I never even engaged that Behemoth in the carhenge. I thought he was a good neighbor to have. He kept his hands to himself as long as you stayed off of his property.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spacedad posted:

So the takeaway from the .ini file is if you gently caress with it you could potentially flag your account for cheating. So much for field testing that.

Also: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9suwl5/unlocking_your_fps_gives_you_speed_hacks_just/e8s2bn1/

The reference.

That and my first post in this thread are my favorite Fallout quotes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yesterday i was hiking out to the bunkers in the mountains when I had to cross a bridge. i'm nearly across when a car comes to life and murders me. it is a giant hermit crab.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
All problems with the game aside, this is where the game showed the most potential for me yesterday: Multiple buddies all tackling different sections of a dungeon area at once.

I fast-traveled to other goons on my friends list who were taking on super mutants on the ramparts of the prison. Since they seemed to have that well at hand, I explored inside - there were a lot of locked prison cells full of good loot, including some nuka-cola quantum. I wasn't high enough lockpicking skill to open them though, so I fought a bunch of scorched who were stalking through the jail cells. Eventually I found and solved a small computer terminal puzzle that unlocked all the jail cells in the prison, and let the rest of the goons know I'd unlocked the cells for looting just as they were finishing up on the super mutants.

I felt like I did my part - It was a little feeling of teamwork and felt very rewarding acting as a solo scout for a larger group's efforts in raiding a zone. I was 'soloing' an area yet I was not: What I did there made it easier for pals to get some loot. You have the flexibility go 'solo' as if you were playing Fallout 4 single player, and still help out the team in this game.

It's this kind of shared community exploration with buddies that the game shines the most at I think.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 1, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vinylshadow posted:

Been watching Jon of MatN play through 76 and honestly, it doesn't look or play horribly

Sure, that may be because the BETA's kept the idiots out, but the map is definitely large enough to go off on your own and not meet anyone for hours - so depending on how populated each server can get, you can easily play it like Fallout 4 without much issue

Although in some places, the enemies are stupidly populous and you're going to burn through all your ammo extremely quickly - I highly suggest finding as many explosives as you can

"When you've played as much Fallout 4 as I have, it's kinda hard not to develop slightly sexual feelings towards office fans."

him trying to farm the same area for lead resources, waiting for a cell respawn (it was looted the first time he checked), was a quintessential turnoff for me. kills any veneer of a postapoc atmosphere.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

jadebullet posted:

So how are you guys feeling about the game post beta.

Is it typical Bethesda in that it's buggy and has issues, but gently caress it, it's eventually going to be good, or is it Buggy and doesn't have much potential for improving to level worth purchasing it?

I'm having fun. But by some stroke of luck I dodged the deletion bug cause I was not at my machine while the game downloaded, I guess I would be angrier if I had that happen to me.

The game immediately feels like Fallout when you log in, but more like F4 than Vegas or F3. I enjoyed F4, the story was ridiculous, but I loved the exploring and hauling around junk to build up your base bit by bit. I always felt it was a bit of a shame that they did not focus more on that part of the game, allowing you to have your own raider/settler base which could serve as tradehub for NPCs and have more impact on the surroundings than just provoking an occassional raider attack. And I think that the multiplayer part of F76 fixes that loneliness, depending on how big your own base can become (which remains to be seen).

Once you step out of the fault it's like a greener Fallout 4 and you have free roam across the map. And that's stuff I like, slowly exploring, dicking around with crafting, looking for sidequests and not being forced to follow a story. There are many points of interest to discover which are not marked on the main map, the combat felt ok and I loved the crafting, scavenging and playing Barbie dress-up. It also runs real well on my aging i7-4790, 1080Ti, 16GB Ram under 1440p on Ultra.

Sure the game has issues like the speed bug and the awkward UI, but it's certainly not doom and gloom as this thread would make one believe and for me it scratches a specific gaming itch. I'm looking forward to the longer test session on thursday.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

'Has potential but needs work' seems to be the general assessment.

The glaring flaw of the engine physics tied to FPS is a pretty big one though. That's practically a showstopper.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Could the physics engine being tied to the FPS e causing the FPS to drop in any way?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Hootington posted:

Could the physics engine being tied to the FPS e causing the FPS to drop in any way?

Yes

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I liked the food and drink in fo76 because its not fallout 4 survival mode.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
well, what are the best mods for fo4 then?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

I liked the food and drink in fo76 because its not fallout 4 survival mode.

What’s the difference? I only played FO4 in Survival Mode so I’m curious how similar or different it will be.

Also, I may not have a mic’ed headset handy the first couple of days. Need to blow up my garage to locate it. Is there a non-verbal way to communicate on console? People were talking about emojis earlier.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its like survival in nv where you can play the game with a food and drink meter without the bad additions of no fast travel.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Only if your FPS is too high. Framerate Dependant Physic will automatically lower your FPS to safe values.

Fallout 76 is designed to produce stunning graphics with shocking quality..

The game engine will be a bit different than others in many key areas. Players will learn to exploit this in his own benefit.

I think we all remember with fond memories the "trick" to put a bucket on a vendor face to steal his inventory in Skyrim. I think we will find Fallout 76 will favour similar levels of exploitability.

Is going to be entertaining, I assure you.

Yardbomb posted:

How much are they paying you Tei, because loving christ lol

Lunatic Sledge posted:

are you guys reading his posts with special glasses They Live style, or

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tei posted:

what on earth

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Like so bad that you're shocked that this game is being released in TYOL 2018?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Just got confirmation on my preorder being refunded. Guess that's over with now.

If anyone wants a laugh check out my post history in this thread.

In fairness the real issue for me was the graphics literally not working. I might get this in the future if I get a new computer. Hopefully after private servers come out.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

comatose posted:

Like so bad that you're shocked that this game is being released in TYOL 2018?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WnfYBZlJyI

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tei posted:

I think we all remember with fond memories the "trick" to put a bucket on a vendor face to steal his inventory in Skyrim.

Hang on you can do that?

Oh my god
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmI799kEOSk

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 1, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Tei posted:

The game engine will be a bit different than others in many key areas.

You got that right bröther

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on you can do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

It just works.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Tei posted:

Haha you done hosed up now. Too far. Too far.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Moose-Alini posted:

Haha you done hosed up now. Too far. Too far.

Some amazing things aways us Beyond the limits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TetpsSxsRBc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The 3D Fallouts have always had their moments (graphically speaking). In particular the panoramas look great from the sheer scale, even in 3. It's the details, the texture quality, lighting, and shadows that hold it back. They've improved some of those with 76, so at times it does look quite good. But the minute to minute gameplay remains looking mostly sub par (and occasionally atrocious).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tei posted:

Some amazing things aways us Beyond the limits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TetpsSxsRBc

His number one weapon is a mini gun fat man mirv launcher that crashes his game.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

The 3D Fallouts have always had their moments (graphically speaking). In particular the panoramas look great from the sheer scale, even in 3. It's the details, the texture quality, lighting, and shadows that hold it back. They've improved some of those with 76, so at times it does look quite good. But the minute to minute gameplay remains looking mostly sub par (and occasionally atrocious).

Watching 76 footage after recently playing Fallout 4 I think the improvements to lighting are really noticeable. But also because I had a bunch of texture mods watching the 76 footage is also like "oh jesus, zoom out, zoom out" , all the walls and poo poo look like garbage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah the lighting is the most improved. But in one or two places it's looked like a wonky enb mod.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Eiba posted:

Just got confirmation on my preorder being refunded. Guess that's over with now.

If anyone wants a laugh check out my post history in this thread.

In fairness the real issue for me was the graphics literally not working. I might get this in the future if I get a new computer. Hopefully after private servers come out.

If you're looking to build a new system soon, check out the SH/SC pc building thread.

They can help you figure out a build for your budget and needs. Due to GPU prices coming down after the cryptocurrency crashes, right now is a pretty good time to start building a PC by the way. (Also with black friday coming up soon for sales on components.)

I'm going to be building a new system either later this year or early next. I'm plenty good for now in this game with my current though. (These guys helped me build my current 5+ year old system that has never given me any problems.)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The place where Fallout graphics really work are in set design from about 30 feet away. This west virginia looks real gorgeous. That area outside the vault looks pastoral and generally nice... guncorpse and machetecorps notwithstanding.

I guess I just like woodland and springs. My closest comparison point would be Farcry 5. Id judge, from the streams Ive seen, are a lil below that bar.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

One feature that we're definitely going to see discussed more of as people mess with it more is the CAMP system - you can build some loving ridiculous structures with it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hour 4 of the beta will be dedicated to testing the model for how to set up a camp site in the middle of a burning man communal goon project.

I hope to be close enough to the Goon mega camp compound to see it, but far enough away I would not hear any local voice coms.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

The place where Fallout graphics really work are in set design from about 30 feet away. This west virginia looks real gorgeous. That area outside the vault looks pastoral and generally nice... guncorpse and machetecorps notwithstanding.

I guess I just like woodland and springs. My closest comparison point would be Farcry 5. Id judge, from the streams Ive seen, are a lil below that bar.

A better comparison could be Planetside 2. Planetside 2 can look really ugly at times, with fat rendering dissonances. But when is pretty, is the pretties FPS game. It aim more to be art-looking than realist. And since art is subjetive, you can ask somebody and he will tell you Planetside 2 look horrible, and other person will tell you Planetside 2 look beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ucd6-wAvAU

I only wish Fallout 76 had better animations. Watching other players animation is very inmersion breaking to me for how primitive they are. Rendering of scenary and that stuff is good, and I would not mind lowering settings for that stuff to have smoother gameplay.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

So there's been an update from Bethesda themselves on the engine issue.

https://kotaku.com/fallout-76-betas-physics-are-tied-to-its-framerate-1830140345
https://twitter.com/SuperSpacedad/status/1057877388086804481

quote:

Bethesda are aware of the issue, but told Polygon “a fix won’t be out until the game launches.”

I'm going to speculate that my best-case-scenario I mentioned earlier might have been what happened here - that they already had a fix, but couldn't roll it out for the beta build of the game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

"This game runs faster with a better computer." :D

This type of stuff is good schadenfreude food, but if nothing, except if you play on PC where maybe the problems will sour some people game sessions.

Tei fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 1, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I bet it just makes it harder to turn off vsync.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Spacedad posted:

So there's been an update from Bethesda themselves on the engine issue.

https://kotaku.com/fallout-76-betas-physics-are-tied-to-its-framerate-1830140345
https://twitter.com/SuperSpacedad/status/1057877388086804481

I'm going to speculate that my best-case-scenario I mentioned earlier might have been what happened here - that they already had a fix, but couldn't roll it out for the beta build of the game.

This game goes live in 13 days on console and PC. Anything major engine related that's not in the beta isn't going to be in any time soon.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

its called SPECULATIVE SIGHT

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

This game goes live in 13 days on console and PC. Anything major engine related that's not in the beta isn't going to be in any time soon.

If anything wouldn't make sense with the current 'play a few hours and then we spend a day patching again' schedule it's not being able put in a fix like that. If they can't do it in these two weeks they're not going to have time to do it on release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
They're probably too scared to patch it in case everyones client gets nuked again lol

Calling it now, the 'fix' will just be a framerate lock