Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Adversary would be a great totem for a holier-than-thou leftist, though. "I can't work with the man, man. You're all just treating symptoms and not the cause!"

Yeah. Even the blurb in the book the totem is introduced in explicitly warns that Adversary *really* has trouble working with others, unless he's the one in charge. (about as explicit as the books usually get to saying "this totem works better for NPCs and opponents than actual PCs")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Kanfy posted:

Usually they attach a surname to these kinds of things, but it's not until Hong Kong that you actually get to pick one at character creation. At least the thread was kind enough not to pick some terrible street name for us, JazzGuzzlerXIV Civic Center would've been an awkward one to print on flyers.

Y'know, an even better name would have been Honda :haw:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

inscrutable horse posted:

Y'know, an even better name would have been Honda :haw:

That's orders of magnitude better than the joke I was going to make about 420 and 360 noscopes.

kaosdrachen posted:

Well, yeah. "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven." The Adversary - especially the more Toxic aspects of the totem - are all about rebelling against any authority except themselves. They need to be the one in charge, and everything else can burn.

At least they have a banging theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZuxwVk7TU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I stand by the naming of the Shootout Civic Center. :colbert:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
The Horned Man/Horned God is mentioned as the patron spirit before Glory realizes it's really The Adversary, but they don't really say what he is. Horned Man is Jungeon archetype for deities like Pan and Bacchus and his aspects include drunkenness, madness, wildness, and virility. A Horned Man cult probably would have been a good time.

Since Adversary only has contempt for followers, I wonder if he would have still turned on Glory, if she took off and did her own thing? I also not sure if Harrow is technically Toxic. He is still following the tenets of his totem, just Adversary is a bit of a dick.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Horned Man/Adversary chat is a good topic for today's date :spooky:

Others have touched on it, but could you actually have a shaman of The Adversary who wasn't a toxic terrible person? I know most totems have that "can run it either way" aspect, but this one seems tailor made for :moreevil: antics. How would you run/flavor it?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

RedMagus posted:

Horned Man/Adversary chat is a good topic for today's date :spooky:

Others have touched on it, but could you actually have a shaman of The Adversary who wasn't a toxic terrible person? I know most totems have that "can run it either way" aspect, but this one seems tailor made for :moreevil: antics. How would you run/flavor it?

I mean, in a world run almost entirely by terrible people and terrible dragons, someone blessed by a spirit of rebellion doesn't have to be a bad person at all. There's some overlap with Dragonslayer here, like I said, except that Dragonslayer doesn't care about whether you're going up against an authority as long as it's something bigger and more powerful than you, and Adversary doesn't care about seeking out bigger and bigger threats as long as you're not selling out to the Man, man. The main problem is that Adversary is really hard to make as a team player; they don't really do structure unless they're in charge, so they work best as NPCs.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

kaosdrachen posted:

Hoo boy. That's a breathtaking understatement, there. If you think of it as going to the Dark Side of the Force you're not actually that far off. Toxics don't always start out homicidally crazy, but they usually eventually wind up there regardless. Not only do they usually dedicate their lives to corrupting and destroying everything the 'benevolent' version of the Totem stands for, they actively draw power from the ensuing corruption.

Remember all those toxic zones we've described earlier? Toxic shamans not only can survive and function there, they're more powerful there and they actively work to expand them.

It's also not limited to shamans, although with Hermetics it's more commonly described as "Twisted Path", and in some ways they can be worse.

A while back I ran with a campaign where we had a Twisted hermetic mage running around, although we didn't have a clue at the start that's what he was. All we knew was that someone was kidnapping homeless and children and leaving their horribly mangled bodies in various locations in one of the more decrepit parts of town, with a children's rhyme written on the walls in their blood. Turned out his goal was to use their deaths and the emotional reaction to them to deliberately twist the mana from the area towards his particular brand of malevolence -- so that the entire area would effectively act as an aspected power site for him, boosting his magic and actively hindering anyone else's...

Basicly imagine a Batman villain from the darker comic books.

RedMagus posted:

Sure. As Algernon said: the Adversary is basically the spirit of rebellion. If a shaman of the Adversary is rebelling against a controlling power that is honestly horrible then there's nothing stopping them from being a decent person. I imagine there's probably a lot of Adversary shamans in Central America taking the fight to Aztechnology and doing a lot of good in the process.

Hell, Dietrich could be an Adversary shaman and he'd change very little. It and the Dragonslayer have a lot in common. The difference is just that the Adversary is less picky about what you're rebelling against and is more willing to use unethical tactics.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm surprised they didn't mention older traditions given they use the title THE ADVERSARY for him.

I wouldn't really call the original Satan a spirit of rebellion in the slightest. He's a prosecutor. The name literally means the adversary in a legal case. Everything he does is done with explicit permission from his higher up until later on in interpretation and tradition.

That said, by the time this is all happening he'd definitely be seen as the spirit of rebellion and closer to the devil, so you know. It makes sense, just odd that they use his original name without mentioning anything about it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Hmm, I wonder how the Adversary would feel about cooperative agency. There's not really a man to rebel against in that type of system... though maybe you'd just end up rebelling against the consensus/majority.

It's pretty easy to envision Adversary Shaman hero who manages to build up a serious social movement on behalf of the disempowered... that then gets disillusioned and tries to tear down their own side when they're on the cusp of real and lasting success for being too compromising.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

That's orders of magnitude better than the joke I was going to make about 420 and 360 noscopes.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Totally worth it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, poor Glory. Poor Glory's mom. Poor kids in Fuerstelle.

There's a response to Glory's question of how do you run from something tied to your soul that something akin to "Oh, God, Glory... I'm so sorry." I'm kind of surprised Rosa didn't take that one, as she would be very, very cognizant of what tearing away at ones essence would look and feel like, but I suppose Kanfy's trying to portray somebody with a sterner front than that. Because that sort of tearing at the essence is really, really bad :gonk:, and even my non-mage character winced.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm not sure what Feuerstelle is supposed to be. There is no town in our world named that. A suburb of Stuttgart is called Feuerbach,and a Station is called Feuersee.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Jesus gently caress, can't you hug glory?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Siegkrow posted:

Runners typically are not huggers, Rosa's apparent desire for amateur therapy notwithstanding.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Wonder if you could get an Adversary shaman who was also a fascist. The two shouldn't work together, but the cruelty towards others and the sense of oppression at any hindering of their own right to be complete loving dicks seems like a common thread throughout fascists despite their position in reinforcing the extant social order.

If they see themselves as rebelling against some monolithic enemy that's keeping them down and corrupting their culture, then I could see a fascist Adversary shaman working. Even if the monolithic enemy doesn't really exist.

Toxic shamans can be interesting from a writing or GMing perspective. You can take a far-out or loose interpretation of a totem's various aspects and go all slippery-slope on them, creating a bizarre extreme for your villain to embody.

I have an idea I keep meaning to develop for an opposed pair of toxic Mouse shamans. Mouse has both a pastoral aspect and a domestic one - the field mouse versus the house mouse. The opposed shamans would be an avenger type, who would lay waste to civilization and allow nature to reclaim all land, and a despoiler type, who would pave over nature and cover it in soulless development for its own sake. This idea came about after reading how the domains of man and the associated spirits could become toxic.

The whole thing is a play on the story of the Town Mouse and the Country Mouse.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm not sure what Feuerstelle is supposed to be. There is no town in our world named that. A suburb of Stuttgart is called Feuerbach,and a Station is called Feuersee.

It's a commune in the countryside, not a munincipality.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

resurgam40 posted:

There's a response to Glory's question of how do you run from something tied to your soul that something akin to "Oh, God, Glory... I'm so sorry." I'm kind of surprised Rosa didn't take that one, as she would be very, very cognizant of what tearing away at ones essence would look and feel like, but I suppose Kanfy's trying to portray somebody with a sterner front than that. Because that sort of tearing at the essence is really, really bad :gonk:, and even my non-mage character winced.

That's more or less it, I do my best to keep her personality as consistent as I can within the confines of the dialogue system rather than always picking the "best" responses depending on who we talk to. In this case I found the most neutral tone the best-fitting.

You can also go the opposite direction, here's some Jerk Rosa responses:

quote:

But I was kidding myself, of course. My new deity was the very definition of bad. Serving it made *me* bad. End of story.

Go ahead, make your excuses. We all make our own choices in life, and when you chose to hurt innocent kids, my sympathy for you went right out the window.

You're right, Rosa.

[Glory's face looks ashen.]

It's nobody's fault but my own.

quote:

As I watched her flesh blacken and melt, as I heard her scream and I broke into hysterics, I heard the Adversary laugh. And at that moment, I realized that it was laughing at me.

Saw that coming.

quote:

I could run from Harrow, but how do you run from something that's tied to your own soul?

Let me guess: snip, snip?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Will Glory leave the group if you take the Jerk responses here?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

I'm surprised they didn't mention older traditions given they use the title THE ADVERSARY for him.

I wouldn't really call the original Satan a spirit of rebellion in the slightest. He's a prosecutor. The name literally means the adversary in a legal case. Everything he does is done with explicit permission from his higher up until later on in interpretation and tradition.

And now I'm imaging Shadowrun Phoenix Wright shouting :objection: instead of a forcebolt.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Captain Foo posted:

Will Glory leave the group if you take the Jerk responses here?

No, if you let her start she'll finish the whole story regardless of what you say. In general crew members tend to stick around no matter what you say or do, like how Dietrich tells you he won't abandon Eiger and Glory even if he hates your guts because you left him out of the Humanis run.

There is at least one exception, but it's very obviously telegraphed (as in they openly say "I'll leave for good") and you still have a chance to take it back afterwards.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 31, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RedMagus posted:

And now I'm imaging Shadowrun Phoenix Wright shouting :objection: instead of a forcebolt.

I would pay huge money to see Phoenix Wright contend with Ha-Satan.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

paragon1 posted:

It's a commune in the countryside, not a munincipality.

Well, i overread that one,thanks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bansheenion is the name of my new giant robot anime.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Lone Badger posted:

But.... Harrow is an authority figure. At least to the members of his cult. And he's not exactly encouraging them to rebel against him.
He's not. But the Adversary did get Glory to abandon him. And probably does the same with anyone else who gets too comfortable. The Adversary doesn't care if its followers have followers of their own, so it's fine for Harrow to be recruiting people. It's just that if he also indoctrinates them into following the Adversary then they're going to leave or turn on him at some point.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oh god ahahaha

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IMJack posted:

If they see themselves as rebelling against some monolithic enemy that's keeping them down and corrupting their culture, then I could see a fascist Adversary shaman working. Even if the monolithic enemy doesn't really exist.

Toxic shamans can be interesting from a writing or GMing perspective. You can take a far-out or loose interpretation of a totem's various aspects and go all slippery-slope on them, creating a bizarre extreme for your villain to embody.

I have an idea I keep meaning to develop for an opposed pair of toxic Mouse shamans. Mouse has both a pastoral aspect and a domestic one - the field mouse versus the house mouse. The opposed shamans would be an avenger type, who would lay waste to civilization and allow nature to reclaim all land, and a despoiler type, who would pave over nature and cover it in soulless development for its own sake. This idea came about after reading how the domains of man and the associated spirits could become toxic.

The whole thing is a play on the story of the Town Mouse and the Country Mouse.

So does the manner of a shaman's toxicity change depending on their totem? Like a toxic bull shaman would run around and break poo poo, while a toxic fish shaman would be all pissing in the river? Or does it just mean they still act within the rules of their totem spirit only they're bad now?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Crane Fist posted:

So does the manner of a shaman's toxicity change depending on their totem? Like a toxic bull shaman would run around and break poo poo, while a toxic fish shaman would be all pissing in the river? Or does it just mean they still act within the rules of their totem spirit only they're bad now?

It means you do whatever's associated with your totem but in mean or evil ways. You still have to do things your totem likes - just the things the worst facet of it would like.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

:emptyquote:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Crane Fist posted:

Both, really. Toxic shamans can act like the worst example of their totem, or they can take a normally benign aspect of their totem and twist it to absurdity. Toxic shamans are usually pursuing an agenda, typically one that spreads their brand of corruption or destruction to create an environment of toxic magic.

To use your examples, the Bull totem is a proud leader who fiercely protects himself and those he cares for. A toxic Bull shaman could go to a paranoid extreme, isolating their loved ones and violently driving out any outsiders or perceived threats. It calls to mind a survivalist enclave in the middle of nowhere, a domineering patriarch keeping a scared family cut off from the world "for their own good".

The Fish totem is described as quick, clever, and insightful, in order to escape from fishermen and predators. A Fish shaman could go toxic when the ecosystem of their home goes haywire thanks to things like overfishing or pollution upstream. The toxic shaman might revel in that kind of cascading disaster, looking to cause more of it, but also looking to troll those that would try to stop them, leading them on a merry chase and frustrating them at every turn. Pissing in the river, yes, and getting away with it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Then there are Shamans who follow totems like Radiation, Pollution, or Plague. Those guys are just bad news all around.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My totem Hexxus says I should totally destroy all the rain forests

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Crane Fist posted:

it's one of the neat things about toxic shamans- shamanism is a two-way street. totems warp their followers, sure, but so too do their followers warp their totems. and the human mind is remarkably good at finding interpretations that serve themselves.

the Adversary is He Who Opposes. he is a seducer, a rabble-rouser, a rebel. if your goal is to get together a group of your friends and burn the corrupt authority and all its pointless laws to ash, you have a friend in the Adversary. much as Dragonslayer doesn't care about what you're fighting as long as it's bigger than you, Adversary doesn't care about what kind of authority you're trying to topple as long as you are opposing authority. Adversary shamans make pretty good Shadowrunners, as long as you're real careful to not make a team leader be a thing!

from the description of Harrow, he is committing the one blasphemy before the Adversary. betray, sure. seduce, sure. corrupt, sure. inflict brutal suffering on your enemies? HELL to the sure. live it up? absolutely!

but build yourself a throne with the power of the Throne-Breaker, and you go on his "dies screaming" list. that's tapping something old, dark, and horrible, and Adversary shamans don't like that guy any more than the rest of the world does.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
One wonders - If Glory hadn't gotten scooped up and seduced by Harrow and Marta, what totem might she have followed instead?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

Then there are Shamans who follow totems like Radiation, Pollution, or Plague. Those guys are just bad news all around.

A shaman following a totem that's inherently inimical to metahumanity: Radiation, plague, insects, things like that, are treated as toxic no matter what they're doing.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

If there are shamans of radiation, are there shamans of technology?

A Tesla Shaman.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

If there are shamans of radiation, are there shamans of technology?

A Tesla Shaman.

It's not impossible. It might not even be unlikely.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Stroth posted:

A shaman following a totem that's inherently inimical to metahumanity: Radiation, plague, insects, things like that, are treated as toxic no matter what they're doing.

See that's boring though. Imagine, if you will, a toxic plague shaman that runs around inoculating people with functionally live vaccines and making some of the finest yogurt in the city.

e:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
:downsrim:

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mecharick
Nov 4, 2009
Character should have been called Honda.