Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If you look at the Dark World as being a game of make believe, it's really sweet that Kris would put their brother in it and make him the moral center of their journey even if he can't be there to play with them in person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, while everyone more observant than me can sort out all of the plot + themes, I'll just be over hear delighting at how much the visuals and gameplay have evolved from Undertale. That character animation is Real Good, especially for poo poo like Susie slamming you into the lockers or the heartslam at the end. Cute ACT animations. There's a certain joy to be found in the expressionless simplicity of the Undertale protagonist but I like that Kris can do things like 'sit' and 'move arms'. Also I just like the way the battle system feels now. I appreciated Undertale for trying to glue a Touhou to a JRPG and the boss fights were completely sick, but I really like how multiple characters work in Deltarune. They act individually, but share magic, and they way you get TP by defending, or you can gamble on getting more by skimming way to close to attacks. I am craving more of this. Also I want, nay, need a secret bonus for maxing out Ralsei's fluff stat.

Also Field of Hopes and Dreams is an amazing track.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

milk moosie posted:

Music takes time to grow roots. :shrug: I’m really liking the music so far, myself.

Well, I'm pretty sure "Heartache" stuck with me even after just playing the Undertale demo.

I don't dislike Deltarune's music, it's just doesn't have that same quality.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
where's Muffet

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

where's Muffet

she was a backer character (except not even, more like a fan-submission) to begin with and there was some recent Drama with her creator so she may just be absent on this go-around

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I like the normal battle theme way more than undertales but I’d agree the last boss song doesn’t hold a candle to heartache.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

GunnerJ posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure "Heartache" stuck with me even after just playing the Undertale demo.

I don't dislike Deltarune's music, it's just doesn't have that same quality.

Deltarune's music hasn't quite resonated with me yet either - save for the Battle Theme, which is an all-timer.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

No Wave posted:

where's Muffet

Wasn't Muffet a fan character who won/paid for the $10k tier level? But the design was actually decent so Toby made it a main boss fight instead of a secret boss? He might not be able to use that character again depending on how the legalese was worded for Undertale in that case.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

also while the ending looks like a straight chara thing (especially with sans just happening to move in right in time) Kris' life does not look so hot. No friends, treated with something approaching disgust by most people, depressing parental situation, even Kris' only friend in the dark world turned out to be his brother. Kris' mom is alarmed enough that she's elated to hear that Kris might finally have a friend. It all looked pretty dire and Kris has no way to communicate it to anyone. Does not mean that any of that should lead to a stabbing spree ofc.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
cried twice. I'm not okay.

good game.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Had a bit of fun with this yesterday, got to the last boss and the bonus one, that's enough for now. When the full thing's out hopefully somebody will play through it so I don't have to.

clover was the best

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna ask this and be purely genuine about it, so please don't think I'm nitpicking anyone's spelling but:

Does the Asriel analogue character in the Dark World have a name that gets spelled differently for different people? I've seen a not-insignificant amount of people spell it "Raslei" and "Rasiel" when the name I see is very clearly "Ralsei".

If so I was just wondering if that's just more "out of order" stuff that's going on, just as Undertale and Deltarune use the same letters, only scrambled up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Framboise posted:

I'm gonna ask this and be purely genuine about it, so please don't think I'm nitpicking anyone's spelling but:

Does the Asriel analogue character in the Dark World have a name that gets spelled differently for different people? I've seen a not-insignificant amount of people spell it "Raslei" and "Rasiel" when the name I see is very clearly "Ralsei".

If so I was just wondering if that's just more "out of order" stuff that's going on, just as Undertale and Deltarune use the same letters, only scrambled up.

That’s a good question. Mine was Ralsei. R-A-L-S-E-I.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Framboise posted:

99% sure it's people just getting the name wrong.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I think the reveal with him is just loving with people's heads and getting the names all mixed up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rasiel is similar to another video game character, Raslei I have no explanation for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The bonus boss is really good and forces you to use all of the mechanics the new battle system has and I love it. The music is perfect for it too. I am really glad I decided to get in on the ground floor on this.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 1, 2018

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's Ralsei for everyone, it's just super easy to mix up, as the world's most transparent anagram of asriel

CJacobs posted:

The bonus boss is really good and forces you to use all of the mechanics the new battle system has and I love it. The music is perfect for it too. I am really glad I decided to get in on the ground floor on this.

note to anyone reading this thread: do not click that link until you've played the game or are okay with spoilers, because youtube recs and comments do not come with anti-spoiler tech

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CJacobs posted:

It's a real good song yeah. Extremely fitting too. Getting killed over and over while this super cheery song plays is annoying, which is likely the point.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.
Man, the music after you beat the final boss, and when you return to town, aggressively quotes the notes under the phrase "don't forget, I'm with you in the dark."

Edit: Just re-listened to the Jevil fight music, and it does the same thing. I'm sure those notes are peppered all throughout the game's music.

More importantly, bathrooms. Monsters don't need them, we know this already. Toriel's house has one, but that makes sense because she's got a human child. But the Card Castle has a bathroom, so Darkners DO need them. Implications?

I'm gonna go run some errands, and if this thread isn't absolutely consumed by bathroom speculation by the time I get back, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Two Inch Bee fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 1, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am already loving these main characters. chapter 2 hurry up pls :cry:

Two Inch Bee posted:

More importantly, bathrooms. Monsters don't need them, we know this already. Toriel's house has one, but that makes sense because she's got a human child. But the Card Castle has a bathroom, so Darkners DO need them. Implications?

I'm gonna go run some errands, and if this thread isn't absolutely consumed by bathroom speculation by the time I get back, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Baths?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, does Susie's dialogue towards you change at all if you fought your way through most of the encounters rather than ACTing (particularly in the elevator scene towards the end)?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GeneX posted:

It's Ralsei for everyone, it's just super easy to mix up, as the world's most transparent anagram of asriel

note to anyone reading this thread: do not click that link until you've played the game or are okay with spoilers, because youtube recs and comments do not come with anti-spoiler tech

Oops. I replaced it with a polsy link so now there's anti-spoiler tech built in. Feel free to click it unless you care about the name of the boss.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Two Inch Bee posted:

Let us also consider the plumbing implications of having the only bathroom in a seemingly remote town. Does Kris's house have a septic tank? Who cleans it? What if he needs to use the bathroom at a public building, such as the school which lacks a bathroom?

We know that monsters can have a variety of diets, what if there is a poop eating monster out there consuming Kris's product?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Two Inch Bee posted:

Man, the music after you beat the final boss, and when you return to town, aggressively quotes the notes under the phrase "don't forget, I'm with you in the dark."

Edit: Just re-listened to the Jevil fight music, and it does the same thing. I'm sure those notes are peppered all throughout the game's music.

Doesn't the bathroom imply Toriel still uses it to wash? I imagine they still serve a cleaning purpose to monsters, they just don't need toilets. Did the Card Castle have a toilet? I know the clubs monster mentions one....

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, does Susie's dialogue towards you change at all if you fought your way through most of the encounters rather than ACTing (particularly in the elevator scene towards the end)?

Not sure, but I did notice she has some dialog changes if you rush early in the game. When going to get the chalk, my first playthrough I dawdled and looked around and she complained I walked too slow. On revisit I was rushing to the door and she commented I must be used to running. When she "joins" in the dark world, she complained I was walking too slow on my first go around, on my second i ran and she said "oh you wanna make it a race?" I'm also pretty sure I got some different things for telling Ralsei I already knew the legend.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
This game feels significantly harder to control in combat compared to Undertale.

I've come close, but I don't think using a keyboard playing against Jevil is where it's at...

Framboise fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 1, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Two Inch Bee posted:

This is more ammo for my theory that the dark realm isn't real, but rather a reflection of something like Asriel's recollections of the underworld. Presumeably the castle has a bathroom because it's a reflection of the real New Home castle, which has a bathroom because of Chara.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The worst take is that Susie is a lizard creature when she's pretty clearly meant to be a hippo type thing. How can you look at big strong aggressive bruiser with big stumpy hands, square teeth, purple skin, and a penchant for eating faces and think "lizard"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The worst take is that Susie is a lizard creature when she's pretty clearly meant to be a hippo type thing. How can you look at big strong aggressive bruiser with big stumpy hands, square teeth, purple skin, and a penchant for eating faces and think "lizard"

sharp teeth

so many sharp teeth

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Squares can be sharp

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think susie can be categorized as a specific animal

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CJacobs posted:

Monsters aren’t just animals :shrug:

I have to reiterate, if this is going to be an episodic series, then there’s way more potential for the story to go in interesting directions and maybe even a chance for the player base to affect what happens, somehow. Almost like a playerbase-wide RPG campaign...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

She can, if "badass" is an animal

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Johnny Joestar posted:

And yet, all the art made in the past 24 hours where she's just a big lizard

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Terper posted:

She can, if "badass" is an animal

i'll allow it

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

BurntCornMuffin posted:

What if he needs to use the bathroom at a public building, such as the school which lacks a bathroom?

Ahh, but you forget: Monster food is turned into energy instantly, it's only human food that gets digested. Since Kris has been raised by monsters and presumably is living on a diet of monster food, actual toilet usage should be a rare occurance.

I'd glad to contribute to this important conversation.

Beets
Feb 19, 2013

Two Inch Bee posted:

The first song you hear in the game, Beginning, is of Undertale's main theme and that one. That same series of notes appears in the middle of Field of Hopes and Dreams, Scarlet Forest, and is later the sole components of Friendship near the end of the game.

There's probably a million more leitmotifs that people can pick up, but these are the ones that instantly jumped out at me when I listened for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

I personally saw her as a dinosaur/dragon type monster personally (mostly because of the snout and teeth). She looks fairly reptilian at any rate

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 1, 2018

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

we already know what susie is.

she is Mean Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, I've only personally experienced this through watching playthroughs so far but how does fighting actually work in this game? Is it the same as Undertale where you have to time your hits or do you just attack automatically for a set amount of damage?