Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
has anyone read the tomb raider series and know if it's actually decent or just cash-in garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's only one video game tie in comic that's actually any good and it's Injustice for some reason.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just finished Corten Steel Phoenix. Its like a furry tintin. :3:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's only one video game tie in comic that's actually any good and it's Injustice for some reason.

Box Brown put out a pretty great history of Tetris.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synthbuttrange posted:

Youre probably right, i just saw that there were some arcs done by simone and mariko tamaki and my interest got piqued

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

site posted:

Uber is great, would highly recommend

You need to start with volume 1, titled simply "Uber" cuz uber invasion is a direct continuation from that

It's funny in hindsight because when it first came out many people just thought of it as a stupid juvenile project. I always thought it had a bit more going for it than that since it had some non-trite reflections on war and some interesting alternative history that was a lot more grounded in reality than most alt history comics, but I wouldn't have anticipated it would have the sort of staying power it has had. The themes have emerged much better during Invasion, having said that.

Also re the issue I'm thinking one narrative path for Maria could be despite her best intentions she is unable to resist meddling when she sees people doing it wrong (as she views things) post-Stalin. That partly follows from my own understanding of societies as having some root in the broad equivalences of one person and another, physically, such that no single person can muster such a huge amount of force that their whims are the commands of the rest of a nation, and that in times of chaos people are more likely to cling to authoritarianism to get a feeling of security, such that it's likely the population will not behave as Maria envisages things. Not that I think this is the probable path but it's one I can see.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 5, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You cannot feed a nation on sugarslop alone.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Synthbuttrange posted:

You cannot feed a nation on sugarslop alone.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it, comrade.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

It's funny in hindsight because when it first came out many people just thought of it as a stupid juvenile project. I always thought it had a bit more going for it than that since it had some non-trite reflections on war and some interesting alternative history that was a lot more grounded in reality than most alt history comics, but I wouldn't have anticipated it would have the sort of staying power it has had. The themes have emerged much better during Invasion, having said that.

I read Uber #0 and #1 and liked them enough to be intrigued about what happens next. Kieron Gillen did say in the afterword of #0 that he wanted to play the premise completely straight without leaning into the inherent pulpiness of super powered Nazis, and what I read reflects this; The best parts of the book are the narration, the discussions between commanders and soldiers, basically anytime when he leans hard into telling alternate history. Anytime when the art goes to "Explosion at the Offal and Ketchup Factory" territory tends to betray that, though to be fair I hear that is more of a quirk of the people who are publishing the comic rather than the people making it for the most part.

Anyway, what is the best place to get trades for the series? No real bundles I see on comixology and while $2 an issue is a decent price, it does double around 10 issues in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There was a sale for all of Uber and Invasion a few months ago. I expect another around the holidays.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Walk Through Hell #5 is sickening and good. This is really Ennis firing on all cylinders, staying away from the cheap gags, and reminding us why he had a reputation as one of the greats in the first place. Some really good writing in there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I just finished Saga volume 9 and an shocked that the series is on hiatus. I .want it seems like the next volume will be the final one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just finished Saga volume 9 and an shocked that the series is on hiatus. I .want it seems like the next volume will be the final one.

I can't see six issues wrapping up everything. I think they've taken the year so they can complete 12 or 18 issues then publish the last stretch without breaks.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'll be the buzzkill. I read the first 8-12 issues of Saga on Imgur a while back and wasn't personally impressed. It was fine/good, just didn't interest me.

However in an attempt to correct this and try and second time I snagged the 18 issue collection on Comixology a few days ago. If this doesn't hook me, it's just not my type of story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kieron Gillen has released a WicDiv fanzine by the fan community about the in-universe fan community. Digital version is a free download with free hardcopies coming eventually.

quote:

ICONIC is a fanzine by the WicDiv fan community about the in-universe WicDiv fan community. That's a sentence which pleases me. By "in-universe WicDiv fan community" I mean, as well as a bunch of original art, the book primarily consists of in-universe forum threads, articles, web-pages and basically everything else you can imagine. From Reddit Conspiracy boards to hilariously angry 4Chan threads, this is a worryingly convincing image of what would be churning along in the WicDiv universe.

(To be honest, it's also the sort of thing we wish we had more space to do in the actual comic.)

It's impressive enough at first glance, but the curatorial brilliance is in its sequencing. WicDiv's timeline isn't straight. We start six or so months after the Recurrence starts. The book is chronological, starting from David Blake posting a facebook ad for Ragnarock 2013 and ending with the emergence of the final god. It's worryingly comprehensive. I opened the book randomly and a take on a letter that Laura wrote to Brunhilde and Brunhilde's response, an event I reference in a single annotation in issue 6. That's ludicrous. Good work.

(I am also more than a little annoyed that the graphics they add to the god wheel with the emergence of each god are totally better than the ones we did. How dare they! I will fight them.)

I could flick and pick excellent stuff, but I don't think I need to. I showed my hard copy to a bunch of peers over breakfast at NYCC, and they were astounded. Kelly-Sue's eyes went delightfully wide, and I just glowed and gushed how proud I was of the fanbase WicDiv have accumulated. It's one of the best fan things I've ever seen – entirely its own thing, and entirely in the spirit of the thing it's talking about. I applaud.

Minor bit which made me get a little misty-eyed. Their opening interstitial quoting Phonogram's David Kohl talking about Los Campesinos: "They're going to be big to some people."

I'll say this about WicDiv: it was good to be big to these people.

You can download it here. Get the main zine edition for the full effect, though do look at the art only one too. There's a free hardcopy in the works, which you can nose at the tumblr for more info on.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

I can't see six issues wrapping up everything. I think they've taken the year so they can complete 12 or 18 issues then publish the last stretch without breaks.

There just isn't that much to wrap up to me unless the end will have Hazel be completely free to live her life without secret.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Andrigaar posted:

I'll be the buzzkill. I read the first 8-12 issues of Saga on Imgur a while back and wasn't personally impressed. It was fine/good, just didn't interest me.

However in an attempt to correct this and try and second time I snagged the 18 issue collection on Comixology a few days ago. If this doesn't hook me, it's just not my type of story.

I haven't caught up with Saga but it sounds like nothing has ever quite recaptured the magic and consistency of the first 18 issues, so if you don't like those then it's probably not for you.

That whole first arc is pretty charming and I also find Fiona Staples art to be super aesthetically pleasing and great with characters and emotion. If the basic writing and art don't tickle you like that then I don't think there's any massive depth that's going to draw you in. I was an early fanboy and there seemed to be a lot of potential, but as the fanaticism for the comic exploded it didn't really seem able to keep up with expectations.

Ror fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 17, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The series is dangerously close of dragging on.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't think anyone else will care since not even the authors mention it in their social media accounts, but looks like Flavor abruptly ended with issue 6 and no conclusion. There's just a paragraph in the recap page saying is no longer a monthly comic. Bummed me out because they were setting up the world pretty well.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

IUG posted:

I don't think anyone else will care since not even the authors mention it in their social media accounts, but looks like Flavor abruptly ended with issue 6 and no conclusion. There's just a paragraph in the recap page saying is no longer a monthly comic. Bummed me out because they were setting up the world pretty well.

I care, I really liked that series, even have issue one framed in my kitchen. :(

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Been catching on up the ever weird and wonderful Paper Girls and that is some cruel rear end poo poo on their future Cleveland trip:

dangling a cancer cure in front of Mac only to then tell her “oh sorry, you have time-travel cancer, which is still completely incurable unlike all the others”

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

IUG posted:

It sounds to me like they're continuing but in a different format. I'd assume longer page counts with a slower release schedule but things don't always work out.

Anyone else pick up Murder Falcon last week? The previews looked super dumb but I really liked Extremity and this one is good too so far. It IS super dumb but in a fun and occasionally surprisingly touching way. I'll give it at least one more issue, anyway.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It was super dumb, but that's what I signed up for. I'll have to see how I still feel about it around issue 6, but it was a fun read.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Jedit posted:

For some reason I thought I remembered the letter page saying that this only like halfway or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah Vaughn has said he wants the series to be long since it's called "Saga".

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

IUG posted:

Aw, boo! Maybe it's making the switch to a stand-alone graphic novel?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah Vaughn has said he wants the series to be long since it's called "Saga".

Unfortunately he doesn't want it to be good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is Bitch Planet still being published? Or is it just on some kind of indefinite hiatus?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Probably trying to get a few arcs in the can since they could never make schedule when it was active.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
New Uber invasion is out. Put a neat little end on a number of storylines.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

New Uber invasion is out. Put a neat little end on a number of storylines.

Yep. A few gut punches there. [Even with so many of the characters doing morally reprehensible things, it's hard not to get attached to the ones who look good by comparison to the monsters.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neurosis posted:

Yep. A few gut punches there. [Even with so many of the characters doing morally reprehensible things, it's hard not to get attached to the ones who look good by comparison to the monsters.

Yeah, that was a really good issue. Can’t help but feel bad for Yamato. He razed the West and like most of the Battleships he’s a loving monster, but he was pretty much forced into multiple suicide missions that he kept surviving only to be forced into one last fight he knew he couldn’t win and yet he still did it for the Empire. Each country except the US is down to 1 battleship now which should make engagements a lot less complicated. The British have Tamara (and technically Churchill but she can’t really be conventionally deployed). Russia has Maria and is arguably the most powerful battleship alive. Sieglinde for Germany is alive but beaten. The US had Razor but he’s pretty much out for good. So I guess it’s going to come down to how Tamara (probably supported by Churchill and the American cruisers) deals with finishing Germany off. Tamara being a battleship is obviously going to be problematic because she’s a god damned child and holy gently caress this war has had terrible people on all sides.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Well Leah is mostly fixed now courtesy of Maria. Presumably her next deployment will take account of how she got broken by the two German cruisers last time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Razor's incapacitated physically but that just leaves him in the same situation as Sieglinde, artillery.

Siegmund couldnt escape the bomb forever. Hopefully they'll put him out of his misery. And hey, he killed Hitler. :v:

I wonder what Leah's capabilities are now. When she was being activated, her physical only stack gave her incredible speed, then slowed down as her bones fused up. Wonder if that's fixed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There's a Wicked and Divine one-shot out next week. The solicits say it's a break before the start of the final arc, so that's pretty much a confirmation that there are six or twelve issues left to go.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

I wonder what Leah's capabilities are now. When she was being activated, her physical only stack gave her incredible speed, then slowed down as her bones fused up. Wonder if that's fixed.

If her engagement against the cruisers was any indication, she’s pretty close to indestructible from a distance and deadly up close. No halo effect limits what you can do and even with a “fixed” leg she’s pretty limited as to the fights she can partake. Both of her successful engagements involved the element of surprise.

I’m sure Patton will have a few more tricks for her now that she’s back from Russia.

I doubt Razor’s coming back, though. One unintended positive effect from Russia's end is that Leah is now proof the halo effect can be used to recreate/heal flesh and injuries. As of the last issue, only Maria, her students, and Germany/Goebbels had shown this in use. so maybe they'll turn some R&D into fixing Razor back into play.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 1, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

There's a Wicked and Divine one-shot out next week. The solicits say it's a break before the start of the final arc, so that's pretty much a confirmation that there are six or twelve issues left to go.
I figured Gillen straight-up saying the next arc is the final one was confirmation enough, but sure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I figured Gillen straight-up saying the next arc is the final one was confirmation enough, but sure.

I didn't actually see him say that. Last I heard we knew it was close, but not necessarily here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

I didn't actually see him say that. Last I heard we knew it was close, but not necessarily here.

It was in his letter at the end of the last issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

One unintended positive effect from Russia's end is that Leah is now proof the halo effect can be used to recreate/heal flesh and injuries [/spoiler]

We've known that since Maria and co came back with both hands! Its whether it was instinctually repairing their own poo poo vs using it to actually fix up someone else that was in question.