Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

esperterra posted:

It's sad, the Affleck movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:yeah:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Daredevil season 3 was freakin' great. I'm inclined to put it above season 1, though I'm not sure if my memory of S1's quality is completely accurate. I remember it having a little too much dumb ninja stuff (though of course, season 2 made it look super grounded by comparison). I also remember Karen being more annoying. Obviously Fisk lost a little bit of his novelty here, became a little too powerful, and at the end we weren't really left with anything new about his character, but he still maintained his status as one of the best villains, and that was enough for me. I can definitely understand people feeling that the last episode wrapped things up a little too easily and happily, but I was satisfied to see things finally go right for a change and more or less get resolved, with one or two lingering threats (Vanessa being the one thing keeping Kingpin in check) but actual closure for the most part. It was basically the only way to provide closure without killing Kingpin, and strangely even after all he did, I didn't want to see him die. It would've felt too nihilistic, and real life is already too nihilistic for my liking.

As for the very last scene, it was pretty silly, but it was separate enough from everything else that I didn't really care. Bullseye still being a threat doesn't really change anything, it's just a little teaser for where they could go next. I was just glad they didn't try to undermine the rest of what happened with some really overt cliffhanger, as they're prone to do. It was a real ending.

Ray turned out to be a really cool dude. I was upset when he died, but it felt justified when his plan was revealed. They walked a fine line of having him be heroic, but also kind of deserving to die for allowing too many bad things to happen, but also helping to fix them. Also, according to my lawyer wife, that whole Dying Declaration thing is actually kind of a real thing, although they probably exaggerated just a tad.

Like everyone else, I'm in awe of the one-shot scene. At the beginning of it I thought "oh, they're doing this again, of course..." And I thought it would turn out to just be a pale imitation of the one they did in S1. But by the end it was just like, drat. Sold.

The other best scene was Karen & Kingpin, though the way it ended was kind of like a wrestling match where someone runs in and interferes before the real ending can happen. Understandably, though, since if it went the way Karen was aiming for, she probably would've been killed. Although admittedly, her killing of James Wesley still feels a little like a loose thread.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 31, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I liked this interpretation of Elektra with the exception of everything involving her being "Black Sky" or whatever her dumb ninja anti-christ name was. I realize that's like 80% of the character, but I thought her introductory episode and the build of her relationship with Matt was a nice twist on the comics but kept the same level of intense passion the comics had. Actress wasn't great but she wasn't as bad as some of the girls on Arrow so I guess that was a positive.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pretty much all “chosen one” stories are crap but they’re a genre standby.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh, I didn't notice this until someone pointed it out, in hindsight it seems like maybe it was really obvious and I'm just dense. But in the second-to-last episode, it's a really neat callback how Ray's "last words" phone call to his son is really similar to the call Matt's dad made to him, for basically the same reason, on literally the same phone. Probably another thing that influenced his sorta-change of heart in the last episode.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

qirex posted:

Pretty much all “chosen one” stories are crap but they’re a genre standby.

That and anything with a 'prophecy'. The only one I can even tolerate is Harry Potter. And only because they had the decency to admit in story that all prophecies are self fulfilling horseshit, most don't even come true, and you're best off just ignoring them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CityMidnightJunky posted:

That and anything with a 'prophecy'. The only one I can even tolerate is Harry Potter. And only because they had the decency to admit in story that all prophecies are self fulfilling horseshit, most don't even come true, and you're best off just ignoring them.

I think it helps that the prophecy in that case -- the one at the end of book five -- is only revealed to exist after it's come true. It ends up being couched in characterisation rather than in plot mechanics, and is largely sold on being a moment of poignancy for a minor character rather than what a lot of other genre stuff treats their END TIME CHOSEN ONE GREAT BURDEN OF GREATNESS DARKNESS DARKNESS WHY ME I AM THE LOAD BEARING WALL OF HISTORY crap.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
A prophecy might not have been spelled out, but the “boy who did not die,” was always obviously the chosen one. It’s ok to like Harry Potter, but to pretend it’s different from every other chosen one story seems weird to me. Self fulfilling prophecy? Bullshit, voldemort’s Life was tied to Harry’s in some weird symbiotic way that was part of the climax of the story. Didn’t matter that Harry’s only talent was flying a broomstick, and Hermione did all the work. (I enjoyed Harry Potter)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It wasn't a punchmans scene, I fast forwarded through it. :smug:

They aren't dating? Again, not a punchmans scene. :smug:

I mean... look. If there's an obvious cut in any scene, I'm gonna fast forward it. I nearly saw five scenes in the last season of Iron Fist and frankly I'm better than all of you, with plenty of time to post about it with all I save fast forwarding though inferior quality punchmans drama.

:agesilaus:

this is the worst loving post i've ever seen

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm like a year behind you nerds goons, so I am only on S2 EP7 of Luke Cage and man you guys are right it's dragging bad. I'm just going to skip to EP12 and get this over with, will I actually miss anything? This really should have been 8 episodes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you don’t like watching it read Wikipedia or something Jesus you goons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm like a year behind you nerds goons, so I am only on S2 EP7 of Luke Cage and man you guys are right it's dragging bad. I'm just going to skip to EP12 and get this over with, will I actually miss anything? This really should have been 8 episodes.

Oh boy. Oh man. Now you did it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm just agreeing with the consensus that LC could have been so much better if they tightened it up. It clearly stalls around EP5 - apparently for quite a while.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Then you’ll love Luke Cage season 3.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

cosmicjim posted:

A prophecy might not have been spelled out, but the “boy who did not die,” was always obviously the chosen one. It’s ok to like Harry Potter, but to pretend it’s different from every other chosen one story seems weird to me. Self fulfilling prophecy? Bullshit, voldemort’s Life was tied to Harry’s in some weird symbiotic way that was part of the climax of the story. Didn’t matter that Harry’s only talent was flying a broomstick, and Hermione did all the work. (I enjoyed Harry Potter)

The prophecy never would have happened if Voldemort hadn't heard it and tried to stop it happening, which made it happen. There was nothing linking the two before that. The only reason he even attacked Harry was because he was an insecure hypocrite. The prophecy could have referred to Harry or Neville. And despite being a massive racist, he saw Harry as the greater threat because he was a halfblood like him.

And because this isn't the Harry Potter thread. Do we know who the villain of JJ season 3 is?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't heard any casting news, so I'm gonna say we don't.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They liked not having any villains last season so they're gonna keep exploring that.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
Finally got to watch Daredevil. I liked it. I'm not sure why people are confused about that final fight scene. To me it didn't look at all like Matt was trying to save Fisk from Bullseye. Bullseye was trying to kill Vanessa, presumably as revenge for the Julie thing, and Matt was trying to save her.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

CityMidnightJunky posted:

The prophecy never would have happened if Voldemort hadn't heard it and tried to stop it happening, which made it happen. There was nothing linking the two before that. The only reason he even attacked Harry was because he was an insecure hypocrite. The prophecy could have referred to Harry or Neville. And despite being a massive racist, he saw Harry as the greater threat because he was a halfblood like him.

And because this isn't the Harry Potter thread. Do we know who the villain of JJ season 3 is?

Answer pulled out of my rear end: Trish Walker.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Answer pulled out of my rear end: Trish Walker.

Her mom wasn't enough for her, in S3, Patsy's blood lust continues to grow as she seeks to eliminate anyone Jessica cares for. She will be standing over the bloody corpse of jess's neighbor and his son, grinning as Jessica vows her revenge.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My favorite part of DD S3 is when Bullseye starts throwing things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tom Guycot posted:

Her mom wasn't enough for her, in S3, Patsy's blood lust continues to grow as she seeks to eliminate anyone Jessica cares for. She will be standing over the bloody corpse of jess's neighbor and his son, grinning as Jessica vows her revenge.

That would honestly be more believable than them being friends again.

"You shot my mom in the head and won't apologize" is not something you can just get over.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

nooneofconsequence posted:

My favorite part of DD S3 is when Bullseye starts throwing things.

I think it’s interesting how the writers went out of their way not to stress bullseye’s abilities in the dialogue. It was absolutely no big deal to anyone that he had supernatural throwing strength and aim.
The correct response to Matt saying “he’s ricocheting the bullets,” should have been “what the gently caress, that’s impossible.”

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lurdiak posted:

That would honestly be more believable than them being friends again.

"You shot my mom in the head and won't apologize" is not something you can just get over.

What if she apologizes? Then when Jessica's going through her mother's things, she finds a bunch of old Nazi memorabilia.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Phenotype posted:

What if she apologizes? Then when Jessica's going through her mother's things, she finds a bunch of old Nazi memorabilia.

She finds out that she was never vaccinated for political reasons. Season three is all about her struggle with polio.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

I think it’s interesting how the writers went out of their way not to stress bullseye’s abilities in the dialogue. It was absolutely no big deal to anyone that he had supernatural throwing strength and aim.
The correct response to Matt saying “he’s ricocheting the bullets,” should have been “what the gently caress, that’s impossible.”

I'm really glad about this. It's a comic book show, the audience is implicitly cool with that kind of absurdity. Having characters remark on the impossibility would just be the authors smugly pretending that they're above all these goofy punchmen when they're busy writing a show about goofy punchmen.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm really glad about this. It's a comic book show, the audience is implicitly cool with that kind of absurdity. Having characters remark on the impossibility would just be the authors smugly pretending that they're above all these goofy punchmen when they're busy writing a show about goofy punchmen.
Oh you mean Iron Fist

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How come Bullseye never brought along anything with him to throw? The shurikens from the comic would have worked fine

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

How come Bullseye never brought along anything with him to throw? The shurikens from the comic would have worked fine

It's really hard to find a place 100% devoid of objects.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not like he had an entire safe full of them in his closet or anything. Oh.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BiggerBoat posted:

He had them in his safe which was a cute nod. I imagine in a potential next season when not cosplaying as Daredevil we'll see him with some of his classic thrown weapons.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm pretty sure in a few scenes he had throwing knives or something

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

What you, the viewer, are supposed to think is "wow, he's that good with improvised weapons, it's a good thing he didn't bring actual weapons or Matt would be in serious trouble!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

The times he wasn't using his gun he was cosplaying as Daredevil, who doesn't throw poo poo.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

He throws his stick things sometimes!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The times he wasn't using his gun he was cosplaying as Daredevil, who doesn't throw poo poo.

Yeah, well, Daredevil doesn't kill people either. People change.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
There is far too much Foggy hatred in this thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DeafNote posted:

There is far too much hatred in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeafNote posted:

There is far too much... this thread.