Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subjunctive posted:

More realistically, it could also engage the brakes to match the normal response curve for releasing the accelerator. But might as well use 8kW to condition the battery if it’s available.

The i3 does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Three Olives posted:

The i3 does this.

Yeah, I knew someone had solved it, but I forgot who. Maybe it’ll come in a software update!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Whomever used my referral link for their Tesla purchase, I really appreciate it! I ended up getting a wall connector out of the deal!

I don't know if it's OK to share it again, but it's https://ts.la/adam65331 if anybody is interested. You get 6 months of free supercharging if you use it.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Here's an EV I can get behind:

https://electrek.co/2018/10/31/1949-mercury-coupe-ev-conversion-tesla-powertrain/

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The EV I want is basically a Miata: EV edition with a ~200+ km range for a reasonable cost. Is anybody making something like that? Has anybody announced something like that? Note: I want gauges and buttons, not the model 3.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Three Olives posted:

The i3 does this.
Ok, questionable aesthetics aside it seems like the i3 did a lot of poo poo right. It doesn't have assmazing range and it won't blow your dick to the next zip code with its monster acceleration, but it's a solid build right?

I'm wondering what else the i3 could integrate to be a better platform, or what other cars can take from the i3 to improve.

Personally I live that there are buttons and I don't have to play tap tap revolution with a screen. The drat jog wheel is satisfying as all hell.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Saw hints of this a few months back, glad to see it's complete! Being at SEMA there should be more info coming out on it now.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

pun pundit posted:

The EV I want is basically a Miata: EV edition with a ~200+ km range for a reasonable cost. Is anybody making something like that? Has anybody announced something like that? Note: I want gauges and buttons, not the model 3.

Take the Volt, remove the ICE, expand battery for a 220-260mi range to match the BoltEV, congrats i’d buy the gently caress out of it.

I mean I literally just bought a Volt but my only dislike is that it isn’t a pure ev. I don’t like the bolt design.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pun pundit posted:

A gen 1 Tesla Roadster.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Warrior Princess posted:

Take the Volt, remove the ICE, expand battery for a 220-260mi range to match the BoltEV, congrats i’d buy the gently caress out of it.

I mean I literally just bought a Volt but my only dislike is that it isn’t a pure ev. I don’t like the bolt design.

The Chevrolet Volt is the only PHEV that behaves like a PHEV should. If your PHEV still has to rely on the gas motor for its main propulsion, you might as well go snag a standard hybrid and save some serious money rather than get a 14-mile charge and a small motor that requires gas engine assistance any time you press the throttle down. GM was wise to put the electric motor as the priority propulsion system, then letting the gas motor act as a glorified generator/range extender. BMW came close with the i3 REX but ultimately decided to define it as a BEV first which makes the gas motor only kick in as an emergency-style generator, resulting in disappointed buyers and lawsuits. That was a questionable decision based upon their efforts to get a tax credit for a full BEV setup; had they set it up like the Volt, where the car would determine that at a given speed and load it would start up the gas motor to give a charge assist (as well as a bigger gas-tank and slightly larger scoot motor to help it keep up), we'd probably see people looking at it as a hugely-effective green car that can get you across state lines, not unlike the Model 3.

In my opinion, if the goal is to get a "do it all" vehicle that your average family can buy which will put less carbon in the atmosphere, the Volt is king. I like to clown on GM for their lovely design decisions (Cadillac had a new luxury cute-ute "XT4" or whatever it's called which has an interior Mercedes would have found acceptable back in the mid-2000's, jesus christ GM that is a sad car) but it's obvious they put a lot of thought into the overall goal of what the Volt should be and tried their damnedest to hit it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i feel like GM could print money by putting the Volt drivetrain in the Equinox or XT5 but i'm just some dumb rear end on the internet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i feel like GM could print money by putting the Volt drivetrain in the Equinox or XT5 but i'm just some dumb rear end on the internet

GM would probably be best served selling Voltec powertrain sleds to a company that actually knows how to sell cars. Honda, maybe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're supposed to have 2 new bolt-based vehicles out by 2020.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Powershift posted:

They're supposed to have 2 new bolt-based vehicles out by 2020.

Any info out on what they are? I would love a slightly larger version of the Bolt.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ClassH posted:

Any info out on what they are? I would love a slightly larger version of the Bolt.

Well, it's GM so realistically probably the Buick bolt and the Cadillac bolt

Ideally it would be a boltcross SUVier bolt and a code 130r style coupe.

They actually said "within 18 months" back in april, so we'll probably see one or both in detroit in january

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can get the Pacifica PHEV.

Not like the compact crossover isn't just a lovely minivan.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
If i were GM I’d do a Silverado 1500 hybrid with a small v-6 as the range extender, 14-to-18kWh battery and a 175kW motherfucker of an electric motor that makes 550 ft-lb of torque.

If it got 23mpg highway and 28 city, the spec sheet alone would sell the thing sight-unseen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

You can get the Pacifica PHEV.

Not like the compact crossover isn't just a lovely minivan.

I was shocked when shopping to find the pacifica hybrid starts at $52k Canadian

I wasn't shocked to find no dealer within 1100kms had one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Isn't it so that previous pickup successes often are first successful utility vehicles for professionals? I'd say make an all electric 4WD stump puller that has enough range for the typical 8-10 hr work day with optional built-in air compressor or 110/220V outlet for power tools. Once it becomes the proper tool for manly men doing manly man work, the rest of the market will want one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ford had an EV Ranger that people loved so much they fought Ford to keep them when the leases ran out. The first EVs were delivery vehicles in the early 1900s, I think there'd be a market for an EV van/small truck for sure.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Well, it's GM so realistically probably the Buick bolt and the Cadillac bolt

Ideally it would be a boltcross SUVier bolt and a code 130r style coupe.

They actually said "within 18 months" back in april, so we'll probably see one or both in detroit in january

I saw them both very briefly last year when GM announced them. One (the Buick we assume) looks like a funkier Mazda CX-5, the other is a one-box shape but with a lower roofline than something like a Bolt, and with Cadillac’s angular styling. Looked pretty cool tbh, so GM’s bound to gently caress it up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Isn't it so that previous pickup successes often are first successful utility vehicles for professionals? I'd say make an all electric 4WD stump puller that has enough range for the typical 8-10 hr work day with optional built-in air compressor or 110/220V outlet for power tools. Once it becomes the proper tool for manly men doing manly man work, the rest of the market will want one.

That's what the W-15 Workhorse is: a pickup truck with 80-mile all-electric range, gas range extender, and builtin power port so it can act as a worksite generator. List price $52k, explicitly marketed as a fleet vehicle, and if it weren't for the fact that I'd never be able to park it anywhere I'd want it.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Powershift posted:

I was shocked when shopping to find the pacifica hybrid starts at $52k Canadian

I wasn't shocked to find no dealer within 1100kms had one.

It gets the full tax credit in the US so it's pretty comparable to the non hybrid version.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Elviscat posted:

Ford had an EV Ranger that people loved so much they fought Ford to keep them when the leases ran out. The first EVs were delivery vehicles in the early 1900s, I think there'd be a market for an EV van/small truck for sure.
Don't know whether it's available in the US, but here in the UK/Europe Nissan have an e-NV200 van which is based on the same powertrain as the LEAF.

It doesn't seem hugely popular, though.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Ripoff posted:

The Chevrolet Volt is the only PHEV that behaves like a PHEV should. If your PHEV still has to rely on the gas motor for its main propulsion, you might as well go snag a standard hybrid and save some serious money rather than get a 14-mile charge and a small motor that requires gas engine assistance any time you press the throttle down. GM was wise to put the electric motor as the priority propulsion system, then letting the gas motor act as a glorified generator/range extender. BMW came close with the i3 REX but ultimately decided to define it as a BEV first which makes the gas motor only kick in as an emergency-style generator, resulting in disappointed buyers and lawsuits. That was a questionable decision based upon their efforts to get a tax credit for a full BEV setup; had they set it up like the Volt, where the car would determine that at a given speed and load it would start up the gas motor to give a charge assist (as well as a bigger gas-tank and slightly larger scoot motor to help it keep up), we'd probably see people looking at it as a hugely-effective green car that can get you across state lines, not unlike the Model 3.

In my opinion, if the goal is to get a "do it all" vehicle that your average family can buy which will put less carbon in the atmosphere, the Volt is king. I like to clown on GM for their lovely design decisions (Cadillac had a new luxury cute-ute "XT4" or whatever it's called which has an interior Mercedes would have found acceptable back in the mid-2000's, jesus christ GM that is a sad car) but it's obvious they put a lot of thought into the overall goal of what the Volt should be and tried their damnedest to hit it.

I’m not sure what all of that has to do with what I said. My post is literally “I like the volt body, give it the bolt power train.”

It’s like, I don’t like the body styling of pretty much any non Tesla ev. They all look like fuckin goof-mobiles.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

This is so awesome. Here are some sketches of ICONs original Tesla ideas:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1093773_icon-helios-is-gorgeous-tesla-powered-electric-streamliner-concept#image=6

Frankly the Mercury is better. If I ever get gently caress off rich I'm getting a ICON bronco (had a bronco when I was a teenager, so...) and I guess one of these!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Warrior Princess posted:

I’m not sure what all of that has to do with what I said. My post is literally “I like the volt body, give it the bolt power train.”

It’s like, I don’t like the body styling of pretty much any non Tesla ev. They all look like fuckin goof-mobiles.
Im thinking the same thing about the Crosstrek as the upcoming model Y.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

http://www.speedhunters.com/2018/10...dvVwwaIksh9F09E

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 1, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Great, now you can hear the tires breaking loose before you go backwards into a tree instead of awesome flat 6 noise

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's what the W-15 Workhorse is: a pickup truck with 80-mile all-electric range, gas range extender, and builtin power port so it can act as a worksite generator. List price $52k, explicitly marketed as a fleet vehicle, and if it weren't for the fact that I'd never be able to park it anywhere I'd want it.

jesus christ that's a lot of money

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not cheap, no, but if you're putting on 50+ miles every single day it doesn't take that long to pay off the premium compared to a cheaper vehicle. The important thing is that the people that buy vehicles for fleets have a very good idea of what purpose those vehicles will be put to and how valuable e.g. being able to haul/tow a certain amount or not having to buy and maintain an onsite generator is.

(Also, for a sense of scale, IIRC its size and capabilities are roughly on par with a Ford F-250)

For me? It'd be a total vanity toy, I'd hardly ever use its capabilities. That doesn't stop me from wanting one anyway.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's starting f150 crew cab king ranch money. Starts making sense to a commercial operator who's going to factor in fuel costs to the budget.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Great, now you can hear the tires breaking loose before you go backwards into a tree instead of awesome flat 6 noise

I'm one of those weirdos who think Porsche engines sound like poo poo Turbos excepted, so to me tie fighter sounds would be a big improvement.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

MrYenko posted:

GM would probably be best served selling Voltec powertrain sleds to a company that actually knows how to sell cars. Honda, maybe.
So, basically the Clarity PHEV?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

It's starting f150 crew cab king ranch money. Starts making sense to a commercial operator who's going to factor in fuel costs to the budget.

i'm also skeptical that they hit the price point considering it's still in preorder

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Finger Prince posted:

I'm one of those weirdos who think Porsche engines sound like poo poo Turbos excepted, so to me tie fighter sounds would be a big improvement.

You have hearing issues. See the appropriate medical professional

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You have hearing issues. See the appropriate medical professional

They just sound like mechanical noise amplified by a hollow metal can. I get that that is exactly what an engine should sound like to some folks, but there's no music to it, no tone or drama, it's just noise. Like if I asked a Porsche engine engineer if they gave any consideration to the quality of the engine sound, I imagine they'd look at me like a golden retriever who I'd just asked to solve for x. It is a machine, why should it sound like anything but the noise that machine makes?
Sorry but it's just not for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what kind of engine noise do you like

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Personally I like a poorly tuned, cold 2 stroke as I yearn for yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kind of surprised that no one has posted this, what with the GM EV discussion and the Icon Merc: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/chevys-electric-camaro-to-dominate-the-drag-strip/amp