Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GeneX posted:

There are about 3 different jokes going on in PMush's avatar, starting with "I'm late to recommending homestuck, as shown by the slowpoke™ from the pokemon™ franchise" and ending with the Deep Lore™ joke of "I'm blind to the fact that said suggestion is unwelcome at this point, as represented by the tinted glasses of the blind character being cosplayed by slowpoke"

and also containing "slowpoke is dressed as a specific "troll" from the Homestuck™ media franchise, who speaks in l33tspeak"

It is impressively thorough, and, furthermore

hmm this must be how i sound when i talk about garden of sinner's shiki being in meltyblood to people who don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Dick Bastardly posted:

:spooky: Happy Halloween :spooky:

happy halloween i am a witch

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dick Bastardly posted:

:spooky: Happy Halloween :spooky:

That was yesterday, stop living in the past.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
What a good night for a curse.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BottleKnight posted:

Is there a Santa and is it secret

Please show respect for our fallen ghouls and goblins. I will set that in a few days I suppose

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Retro Futurist posted:

Please show respect for our fallen ghouls and goblins. I will set that in a few days I suppose

:toot:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Retro Futurist posted:

thank you friend

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Instead of being secret santa, can I be Well Known Krampus?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Retro Futurist posted:

Here for this.

CCKeane posted:

Instead of being secret santa, can I be Well Known Krampus?

Public Pare Noel

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eh good enough

:sassargh: SA Mafia Secret Santa :tfrxmas:

Rules:
-No minimum or maximum but try and be reasonable in either direction
-Make sure you get your SA name in your profile somewhere so people know who the hell you are
-don’t be an rear end in a top hat. Why would you sign up and then not send anything? Madness!

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 1, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Asiina got in before me! :argh:

Still beat Cpig, though! :toot:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

-don’t be an rear end in a top hat. Why would you sign up and then not send anything? Madness!

At least I never sent bees!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

Eh good enough

Rules:
-Make sure you get your SA in your profile somewhere so people know who the hell you are

The second rule confuses me because I am a dumb

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Bastardly posted:

The second rule confuses me because I am a dumb

The word “username” is missing from it, which may help

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

No its too late, DB is disqualified.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Assina be a love and put it in the OP when you get a chance

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

No its too late, DB is disqualified.

:saddowns:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Retro Futurist posted:

Eh good enough

Rules:
-Make sure you get your SA name in your profile somewhere so people know who the hell you are

I don't want to wish list things, since it is not as fun for me, so just putting this here for reference from an earlier one as it still applies:

quote:

For my part, don't send me bugs. I probably won't appreciate a straight up gag gift like that as I'll be sad as I kill them all. Also not really into physical media for the most part unless there is something special about it as e-books, mp3s, etc are far easier to move around and store. Other than that, I imagine I'll be happy with whatever. Choose your own level of effort/time/money spend: Draw/make me something, board game you think I don't have, steam gift, cool painting/print, graphic novel, whatever. Subject matter wise, I pretty much like anything sci fi/fantasy/comic/nerd and I have an appreciation for foreign things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm going to be having a baby soon so I'll be up a lot, getting naps where I can in between this tiny child needing to wake myself and/or my fiancee up every few hours for the next year or so. So anything that takes time but is forgiving about being sleep deprived.

I'm trying to get my lady and some of her friends to play Monster of the Week because they're all Buffy nerds.

I'm also trying to be a girl full time and I'm going to be going back to school to get my CPA because lady's family is all bankers and I want to be A Woman Worth Respecting. And as long as there is societal structure, there will be taxes. Also money and I'm good at practical math.

Also I'm in a new city (Chicago) and I need friends.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm going to be having a baby soon so I'll be up a lot, getting naps where I can in between this tiny child needing to wake myself and/or my fiancee up every few hours for the next year or so. So anything that takes time but is forgiving about being sleep deprived.

I'm trying to get my lady and some of her friends to play Monster of the Week because they're all Buffy nerds.

I'm also trying to be a girl full time and I'm going to be going back to school to get my CPA because lady's family is all bankers and I want to be A Woman Worth Respecting. And as long as there is societal structure, there will be taxes. Also money and I'm good at practical math.

Also I'm in a new city (Chicago) and I need friends.

I'm not in Chicago, but you're my favorite random forums encounter when I'm browsing other threads.

Work hard P Mush! Good luck!

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I want to talk Mafia theory:

As scum I find it most optimal to play to ruthlessly. Remove ideas, remove threats, control the conversation. Only I get caught because I act like a cartoon villain and general idiot.

The PbP nature of our system means that things stagnate though.

Poach the high cost players and then the game slows down. Less effort.

What are your thoughts for scum playing to the spirit of the game over playing to wincon for enjoyment.

I feel like I've had the play to your wincon dissonance over total enjoyment on a number of scum teams.

I feel like we all have different strategies for winning, enjoying, w.e. I find it pretty interesting.

Hypothetical: role scum in a small to mid sized game, you have 1 or 2 teammates and town is low powered. Mostly vanilla for balance. What's your approach to victory?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

As scum I find it most optimal to play to ruthlessly. Remove ideas, remove threats, control the conversation. Only I get caught because I act like a cartoon villain and general idiot.

What are your thoughts for scum playing to the spirit of the game over playing to wincon for enjoyment.

I feel like I've had the play to your wincon dissonance over total enjoyment on a number of scum teams.

I feel like we all have different strategies for winning, enjoying, w.e. I find it pretty interesting.

Hypothetical: role scum in a small to mid sized game, you have 1 or 2 teammates and town is low powered. Mostly vanilla for balance. What's your approach to victory?

Talk to KB about that, KB (and Asiina?) likes killing low post count and low content players first as scum.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My go to strategy for a while as scum has always been to nightkill your detractors and set up patsies based on bad arguments that town are making.

I theory, I think taking out people who are more likely to push against you and suspect you / post more and thus be hard to lunch is a valid strategy, since it's all in service of you pulling out a win by taking over the conversation.

In practice, it makes games suck and victory is kinda lame when it ends because one of the players left decided to peace out, or was too easily framed because they just didn't offer anything.

I find it hard to square that though, because the obvious counter to scum doing that is for every town player to post and participate.

So I guess the point is that optimal scum strategy is unfortunately not fun for the town to experience, so do you value the win more than you value just having a good time? But again, if everyone just posted more, it's no longer a big issue.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think people just need to post more.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

imgay posted:

:yeah:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The best scum strategy is to kill people you personally dislike.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think you kill lurkers when you have nobody better to kill, but that you shouldn't keep people alive who may be town power roles or really against you who are high posters for the sake of keeping the game fun.

Lurkers are a good N1 and maybe N2 kill until something better comes along.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I think smartest play is obviously to play ruthlessly. But I don't play to win at that level for the first few days generally. I try to take out people for the betterment of the game first, before obvious priorities like power roles or framing someone or the like become more important kills.

And although it is probably a smart move for scum, I'll never focus on taking out high post players just because they are after me or to slow down the thread.

Arguably, that means I'm not quite playing to my win con, but games are funner if people are playing, no matter if I win or lose.

Having said that, I'm on a team, and I'll cave to what other members of the team think a lot of the time, even after offering suggestions based on the above.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm plugging Verge again since this is the day I was hoping to start at earliest and we only need three more players before I can get started! It'll be a lot of fun, I promise!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

PMush Perfect posted:

I dislike none of you and will murder indiscriminately :downs:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
the best scum strat is to not murder anyone, leading town to be massively confused 2 days in and the mod to be pissed as hell

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

King Burgundy posted:

I think smartest play is obviously to play ruthlessly. But I don't play to win at that level for the first few days generally. I try to take out people for the betterment of the game first, before obvious priorities like power roles or framing someone or the like become more important kills.

And although it is probably a smart move for scum, I'll never focus on taking out high post players just because they are after me or to slow down the thread.

Arguably, that means I'm not quite playing to my win con, but games are funner if people are playing, no matter if I win or lose.

Having said that, I'm on a team, and I'll cave to what other members of the team think a lot of the time, even after offering suggestions based on the above.

I think that's probably the best idea. Spend the early days clearing proven lurkers and shitposters within the game. I don't think killing/lunching for meta is good, but I think I'm on the losing side of that battle, I do agree that it's probably "optimal" for the enjoyment of the game and a challenge to the scum to clear the chaff.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Kashuno posted:

the best scum strat is to not murder anyone, leading town to be massively confused 2 days in and the mod to be pissed as hell

lmao

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

:hmmyes:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

What's your approach to victory?

nk self OP

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

This was a very good move in that one game.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

I remember that game.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

lol it is one of my fondest mafia memories. You hosed up the entire town perception that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Well of course my answer is:

imgay posted: