Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan

Astroman posted:

It seems a bit much to assume Chibnall is having every single rear end in a top hat get away with it at the end of each episode without setting something up for later in the season.

I hope there is some pay off at some point, but I'm not particularly intrigued by the set up - all the guys who got away are so paper-thin. I don't really care if I never see them again, and I'm reasonably confident we won't see them again, but in Arachnids I'm just saying I'd have liked to see something, the guy didn't have to die or anything. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks a big reveal might be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1058448783112056833
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1058050849782620160

These Shanghai posters are beautiful

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

By emphasizing that the Rosa Parks event needed to have the circumstances be just so in order for the civil rights movement to happen, I think that episode diminished the agency of the black rights movement. By the end I was hoping they would fail to actually line everything up perfectly, and then find that Rosa Parks and the rest of the movement just kept on trucking, picked a different day, and made it work. Instead of acknowledging that the system could have reacted basically the same on any random day and that the black rights movement was deeply planned and well thought out, the episode acted like they just happened to hit the jackpot on that day for no good reason. It's kind of insulting.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Martman posted:

By emphasizing that the Rosa Parks event needed to have the circumstances be just so in order for the civil rights movement to happen, I think that episode diminished the agency of the black rights movement. By the end I was hoping they would fail to actually line everything up perfectly, and then find that Rosa Parks and the rest of the movement just kept on trucking, picked a different day, and made it work. Instead of acknowledging that the system could have reacted basically the same on any random day and that the black rights movement was deeply planned and well thought out, the episode acted like they just happened to hit the jackpot on that day for no good reason. It's kind of insulting.

Yeah, I found the whole episode pretty trite actually. If the Parks thing wasn't a carefully planned event and was just a woman taking a stand the whole plot would make more sense. But given history the whole thing would have just taken place the next day.

I think the episode would have been a lot better if they never even interacted with Parks & King at all and was just them in the background fixing stuff the other guy did spy vs spy style

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Martman posted:

Absolutely agree with this take. I think they should have used the same setting and explored the same issues, but ditch all the stuff about making sure she gets on the bus.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Martman posted:

I thought this too. The whole idea that the civil rights movement only happened because the stars aligned seemed completely absurd and I spent the whole episode waiting for them to go in an interesting direction. You meet the bad guy who's some racist bloke who thinks he can undo all civil rights by getting a bus driver to take a day off work and I thought "wow, that's a really dumb plan, I wonder where they're going with this" - but no, by the end that was literally the entire plot.

The story was just so bland. It was only surprising in that I was genuinely surprised it wasn't better.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 2, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Calling an episode about racism "preachy" is more or less code for "this was too political for me," though. It's a criticism leveled against every piece of media that addresses race, and it's tired and wrong.

I'm tired of the program repeatedly preaching to me that the extermination of the Thals was wrong.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Narsham posted:

I'm tired of the program repeatedly preaching to me that the extermination of the Thals was wrong.

Imagine someone posted a copy of that "calm Hitler" pic but with a ranting Doctor and a calm Davros instead.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

No, but I kind of liked him being zapped back into the stone age, and I liked that it was Ryan who did it.

And then he teaches the cave men scrabble

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In the ultimate plot twist, Krasko runs into the tribe of Gum.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Decius posted:

Finding an anti-racism episode done really, really clumsy doesn't make you a racist. It makes you someone who would like anti-racist episodes done better. Seeing something done badly as below par doesn't mean you disagree with the message, but with the implementation.

Bingo.

As to the comment on the Sensorite episode from Season 1 (Hartnell), um... yea. You are correct. Only 6 episodes. Strange how I was sure there were 10. Certainly the longest 6 ever. I must have checked out at #4 then, as I know I missed at least one.

I also agree with the recent comments that the whole "stars must align or this historical event will NEVER happen" is just nonsense.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Martman posted:

I think the idea was that little changes could have a ripple effect, even the circumstances of Rosa Parks getting arrested. The Doctor didn't want to risk that, and didn't have access to the TARDIS to calculate if it would matter. If you knew a malevolent time traveler was making minor alterations, even if they seemed trivial, I think you'd want to stop them.

It was sort of vague what the threat was, so I can see why people would think the show was definitely saying that Rosa Parks' arrest would not have happened then. It's worth noting that the episode went out of its way to show Blake being awful to her years before, and also in real life she avoided riding a bus driven by him as much as possible. The history between her and Blake mattered. It wasn't just any driver.

I dunno, I'm being charitable to the show I guess, but I think it was vague enough that either position is supportable. Which is a bit of an issue.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Reddit gives us gems sometimes, like the most wholesome regeneration ever. :3:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 3, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So, so, so awesome. My heart is melting.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that's genuinely amazing

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Oh poo poo!:

https://twitter.com/WhoShelf/status/1058695891949928448

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I can take or leave River, since she showed up in several Doom Coalition stories...but it'll be great to get more 8/Charley

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Oh wow, I think my brother-in-law may have worked on those - he's a photo editor and few months back he was telling me he was on the campaign to market Doctor Who in China. I'll have to find out if it was these ones he did.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So how is this season?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The World Inferno posted:

So how is this season?

Overall I'd say decent so far. Cast have been great, the writing hasnt hit the highs or lows of either of the two previous showrunners yet. I'd describe a lot of what we've seen as "Good, if a little unsubtle or clumsy at times". We are only 3 episodes in though. A couple of unresolved plot points/dangling threads, and I'm waiting to see if they get picked up further down the line (I'm assuming they will personally, other people are not) before I'm willing to pass judgement as a whole.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The World Inferno posted:

So how is this season?

It's good so far, the new cast is solid (and great, in Graham's case) and Whittaker is fantastic as the Doctor.

Biggest issue for me so far is that while they've made the show look great, they make some odd decisions in terms of editing and pacing that undercuts it a bit. Also Chibnal still has a tendency to largely skip over his climaxes or leave the resolution a bit too implied/vague which can be unsatisfying. The stories he has written this season so far though are miles ahead of what he wrote during the RTD and Moffat years.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

It's good so far, the new cast is solid (and great, in Graham's case) and Whittaker is fantastic as the Doctor.

Biggest issue for me so far is that while they've made the show look great, they make some odd decisions in terms of editing and pacing that undercuts it a bit. Also Chibnal still has a tendency to largely skip over his climaxes or leave the resolution a bit too implied/vague which can be unsatisfying. The stories he has written this season so far though are miles ahead of what he wrote during the RTD and Moffat years.

This is spot on. I will say that a lot of the editing problems they have are exasperated by poor shot choice or directing decisions. But frankly, those are the same problems all other BBC series, including past Doctor Who's have had in spades.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's going to be a long time before anything tops,"LOCATION EARTH! LIFEFORMS DETECTED! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwN6vNBttws

Mickey's "That's not Cybermen....." line gets to me everytime.

I kinda feel they immediately topped it with the opening of the Genesis Ark.

"time lord science....it's bigger on the inside" *woosh as Daleks start flying out*

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the Daleks and the Cybermen being catty at each other:

"You would declare war on the Cybermen?"
"THIS IS NOT WAR! THIS IS PEST CONTROL!"

and

"YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT!"
"What is that?"
"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING!"

Daleks acting and talking in non-Dalek ways is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. The occasional lapse into humour is great and terrifying (WOULD you CARE FOR some TEA!) but too many jokes makes them feel really silly and unthreatening.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 4, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dalek's acting and talking in non-Dalek ways is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. The occasional lapse into humour is great and terrifying (WOULD you CARE FOR some TEA!) but too many jokes makes them feel really silly and unthreatening.

I thought that scene was fine from a 'would Daleks act like this' perspective. They're self-assured, omnicidal and up against an army they can crush without trouble, and they're acting accordingly. If anything, it's the Cybermen that are acting out of character in that scene, there's a smugness about them that they usually don't have.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They also did go out of their way to note that these Daleks were bred to think differently to most other Daleks, to the point they even had names.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Biggest issue for me so far is that while they've made the show look great, they make some odd decisions in terms of editing and pacing that undercuts it a bit.

It reminds me a lot (in pretty much only this way, since the tones of the two shows are so completely different otherwise) of Battlestar Galactica, where it was often clear (and the showrunners admitted this regularly) that they were having to take an axe to the scripts just to get them to even remotely fit the time allotted.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rather than dissecting the frog, I'm just gonna admit that I didn't find those two jokes funny, but the "with only one Dalek" line had me in stitches.

Also Davos' bit about the only other chair on Skaro. That was wonderful.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This is going better than the last time the Doctor was taken to a hospital.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They better not have taken out her organs!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The baddie gremlin thing looks more cute than threatening.

Edit: Its basically nibbler from futurama.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahaha, it’s cute!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chalice/beetroot class smacks of SCP.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Chalice/beetroot class smacks of SCP.

That was what was going though my head there.

That said if it's another misunderstood creature I will have to suplex a person.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"I'm struggling to see much hope". Yep, shes Scottish all right. :scotland:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ConanThe3rd posted:

That was what was going though my head there.

That said if it's another misunderstood creature I will have to suplex a person.

I’m just seeing Space Gremlins.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great little scene for Ryan there but is Yaz ever gonna get one?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's a cornered wild animal and the plan will probably be to give it what it wants for in a "not destroy the ship" way.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If it eats any non organic material, couldnt they just through a cotton sheet over it then toss it in a wicker basket?

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Chris Chibnall really is an awful dialogue writer. The exposition is unbelievable in how lovely it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really liked the antimatter speech. :3: