Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The blood type thing could also be a case of Gaster, like most monsters, not really understanding how blood works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I’m not even kidding that I’m convinced the ending is basically ”Stop controlling me, I’m going to go eat that loving pie now” since on several occasions it’s stated sweets need to be locked away from Kris’ ravenous craving of them in that household.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God if the stinger at the end turns out to have absolutely nothing to do with Undertale's genocide story and really is just furious sleepwalking to eat an entire pie guilt free I may actually die laughing

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Acting out in overblown ways is super teenage, so I agree with pie theory. Its also such a Toby Fox joke to make.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The Bee posted:

Acting out in overblown ways is super teenage, so I agree with pie theory. Its also such a Toby Fox joke to make.

Kris’ inferred characterization already comes through as loving stuff like covering yourself in ketchup and telling people it’s blood. The guy is a little drama queen.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I try to avoid Undertale's fandom for what should be self-evident reasons. Was it confirmed it's a sequel?

That said, the line about "Nobody can choose who they are in this world" was legitimately amazing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I try to avoid Undertale's fandom for what should be self-evident reasons. Was it confirmed it's a sequel?

That said, the line about "Nobody can choose who they are in this world" was legitimately amazing.

We still don't know. I asked VG to name the thread "Deltarune, a sequel* to Undertale" but he added a second asterisk so :shrug:

Toby's official word is that the two are utterly unrelated, and yet... Deltarune checks your Undertale install directory to see if you have a genocide flag on your save file for that game, for what reason we don't know yet :tinfoil:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cuntellectual posted:

Toby said it's not a sequel. I think.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Deltarune is an unquel

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What exactly is wrong with Undertale's fanbase? Aside from reading way too far into things sometimes they seem like fairly pleasant people as far as fanbases go. Certainly one of the more creative considering how many remixes and fanart exist

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cuntellectual posted:

It's not really a sequel in a chronological sense. It's an alternate universe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't know about anyone else, but I avoid the Undertale fandom because they talk incessantly about Gaster.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cuntellectual posted:

Toby Fox says it isn't a direct sequel, but the way he talks about it is cagey as gently caress and it seems bizarre that everything from the game's title to the main character's appearance recalls Undertale and the Chapter 1 download says "this is intended for people who've completed UNDERTALE" if it, you know, has nothing to do with Undertale.

It seems like it is Undertale 2, it's just going to either be a thematic sequel like Final Fantasy sequels or connected in some weird plot way that isn't straightforward.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqn3p9

Toby Fox talking about this project. It's unrelated to Undertale (other than in the obvious meta-narrative sense that you, the player, have played Undertale)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

It has been confirmed not a sequel but some think there might be more to it than that. Personally I think that if there is any direct relation between the two it will be stuff off to the side that you draw connections with and get really into thinking about if you want to but won't really affect the main crux of the game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Danaru posted:

What exactly is wrong with Undertale's fanbase? Aside from reading way too far into things sometimes they seem like fairly pleasant people as far as fanbases go. Certainly one of the more creative considering how many remixes and fanart exist

There was some conflict early on with people acting up in stream livechats trying to get streamers to play the game the "right way". And streamers are pretty influential people.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think the best way to describe it is a "follow-up" to Undertale.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

It's a sequel as far as gameplay and general elements of the setting. But "Undertale is Undertale, and Deltarune is Deltarune" and they're different worlds

It's like Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time, but instead of the player character travelling between the worlds to bridge the stories together, the player themself does.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

It features similar characters (albeit in different roles) and returns to and greatly expands on the mechanics Undertale created so in that sense you could call it a spiritual sequel even if it doesn't chronologically follow on from the first game.

Danaru posted:

They have a tendency to jump at shadows, confuse fanon with fact (see almost anything having to do with Chara or Gaster), and some of the fan projects I've seen manage to completely miss the point Undertale was trying to get across. But I've seen plenty of good things come out of the fanbase as well so it kind of evens out.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

for one, despite toby fox going out of his way to confirm that Undertale and Deltarune are not related, people fall over themselves trying to connect the two saying he was actually just lying :v:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Fangz posted:

There was some conflict early on with people acting up in stream livechats trying to get streamers to play the game the "right way". And streamers are pretty influential people.

Which is not only obnoxious but also kinda kills the neutral ending's value, tbh.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Fangz posted:

At least one big-name Youtuber (Markiplier) quit because people didn't like the voice he gave Sans.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

They have a tendency to jump at shadows, confuse fanon with fact (see almost anything having to do with Chara or Gaster), and some of the fan projects I've seen manage to completely miss the point Undertale was trying to get across. But I've seen plenty of good things come out of the fanbase as well so it kind of evens out.
this is a good way of putting it

Gruckles posted:

It's like Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time, but instead of the player character travelling between the worlds to bridge the stories together, the player themself does.
so is this!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fangz posted:

It's basically that (which doesn't seem to have hurt the Souls Fans, who are Actually The Worst) and it being popular with furries and the Tumblr crew. It kinda came outta nowhere and dominated the conversation, so a lot of people got bitter as gently caress.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the right way to play Undertale is to get the neutral ending first, feel kinda bad, and then go back for the pacifist ending. Fight me.

And then go read about the Genocide ending on the internet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

undertale fandom is 90% shuffling around characters in every different possible permutation of the same base story, then coming up with a new name for their AU

"this is the one where frisk is a monster and all the monsters are humans!"
"this is the one where all the bad guys are good and the good guys are bad!"
"this is the one where I've swapped toriel and asgore, and grillby and muffet"

et cetera ad nauseum

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Fangz posted:

The irony of that is that Undertale is best experienced going in blind. Yelling at streamers for "not doing it right" means you're not allowing them to make the mistakes that will lead to that "holy poo poo!" moment that makes it so great.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Clarste posted:

I think the right way to play Undertale is to get the neutral ending first, feel kinda bad, and then go back for the pacifist ending. Fight me.

It is. I think the issue with people screaming at streamers was being afraid they'd just skip on the true ending after getting neutral because "well, it's the ending, I did it" and people wanted to see reactions to Omega Flowey and all of that stuff.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

people don't want streamers or lpers to get a mixed neutral ending because then they have to play the whole game over to get to the pacifist ending and no one wants to watch that :ms:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

undertale fandom is 90% shuffling around characters in every different possible permutation of the same base story, then coming up with a new name for their AU

et cetera ad nauseum

that's basically any YA fandom, really

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also a thing that is A Flaw in Undertale is that you have to play the whole game over again if you lock yourself out of the true ending by killing something (Toriel at the very start is the go-to example), and you don't find out you've done it until the very end, and at that point it's an hour or two's worth of investment and some pretty long fights/sequences replaying the game you just finished. At that point the question of "how much do you really care about this world" falls a bit flat because it's not so simple as loading your save, playing the whole game over is a time investment you may not want or have room for. Therefore, overenthusiastic encouragement to go pacifist from the very start even for unspoiled players, i.e. telling people how to play, has become the norm to keep that from happening. Delta Rune is getting around that by nixing that possibility which is a good thing imo.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The right way to play Undertale is 'however you want to'. It was unfortunate that the actions of a few assholes ended up reflecting on the entire group of people who liked the game and the game itself but that's how it went really.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know if that makes the fans materially better or worse than fans of anything else, just that structurally Undertale presents a lot of opportunities for bad audience interactions like that with the way the paths and actions are set up. The game's probably best played alone (and in one go if you get hooked), with no one else losing their poo poo if you kill that first Froggit, whether it's one friend on the couch or an army of stream-viewers.

Edit: I can't really get as immersed in anything, whether game, book, show or what have you, if there's other people around, so something that depends on making an emotional connection doesn't sound like great stream material.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CJacobs posted:

Also a thing that is A Flaw in Undertale is that you have to play the whole game over again if you lock yourself out of the true ending by killing something (Toriel at the very start is the go-to example), and you don't find out you've done it until the very end, and at that point it's an hour or two's worth of investment and some pretty long fights/sequences replaying the game you just finished. At that point the question of "how much do you really care about this world" falls a bit flat because it's not so simple as loading your save, playing the whole game over is a time investment you may not want or have room for. Therefore, overenthusiastic encouragement to go pacifist from the very start even for unspoiled players, i.e. telling people how to play, has become the norm to keep that from happening. Delta Rune is getting around that by nixing that possibility which is a good thing imo.

That's not a flaw.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The ideal blind LP for me is recording the entire first run beforehand so it's not influenced by any comments. Then the True Pacifist guided by an experienced person to experience all of the game, with optional Genocide.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fangz posted:

The right way to play Undertale is 'however you want to'. It was unfortunate that the actions of a few assholes ended up reflecting on the entire group of people who liked the game and the game itself but that's how it went really.

To be fair I'd say a good 95% of my interactions with people that "hate Undertale and the fanbase" have way more to do with it becoming very popular in the "wrong" circles than with the fanbase being bad or too loud/pushy. Again, see Souls Fans.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

really any puzzle game has the issue of backseating because puzzles are super obvious once you know the answer, and it's hard for people to remember that they didn't instantly GET it, and since thinking isn't visible on a stream, it looks like no progress is being made when thE SO LUTION IS OBVIOUS!!!!!!!!!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

et cetera ad nauseum

The person behind the actual Storyshift took the concept "the characters are all just actors like in the Mario games" and actually did something with it that played to the tone and theme of the game. Everyone else just did weird copycat poo poo until they threw their hands up and gave up on it.

The only Undertale fan work that should be bothered with his One by One anyway :colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I still wear my little Flowey badge to conventions and stuff and it's great when someone recognises it. Like a couple of weeks back it was this little kid who excited pointed it out to her mum and told me they were working on getting the True Pacifist ending. :3:

I don't care too much for the Undertale AUs and stuff but the remix albums are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SirSamVimes posted:

That's not a flaw.

It is a flaw, but it serves the cause of a much better payoff for people who listen to the game preaching that you can get out of any situation without fighting. Flaws don't have to be objectively bad with no good side, but that doesn't mean they should be ignored.