Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samovar posted:

Now, I know American trucks are always big but... that big?

Ben Shapiro is 5'4”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

quote:

The general notion of public debate (and the very idea of the “pubic sphere” for that matter) resides tacitly on discursive public space as an arena for settling the relative strengths and uses of a set of ideas.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The pubic sphere

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Last week I would have said a President can't amend the Constitution via an Executive Order, but here we are with Trump threatening to do that very thing.

I mean he can threaten to do a lot of things, but he's still not the Fuhrer as much as he wants to be. If he were to actually sign that executive order tomorrow, it would take seconds for it to be declared illegal and would never go into effect.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Palemdromes posted:

The pubic sphere

That is where pee is stored, yes.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Just putting on my They Live glasses, and...

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Samovar posted:

Now, I know American trucks are always big but... that big?

My boy, that's nothing. You need to come to my city. That's babbies first pick up in high school. That's a soccer mom truck. That's what you get before you work in Fort Mac for a couple seasons until you can get an F350 with a lift kit. Then you get laid off because of how volatile the oil industry is and all you have to your name is a ridiculous truck and thousands wasted on cocaine and speed with no savings and no home so you go back home to Manitoba or New Brunswick, angry at the Liberals and NDP for loving up your life and vowing to only ever vote conservative until you die.

Why yes I am from Calgary why do you ask

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

My boy, that's nothing. You need to come to my city. That's babbies first pick up in high school. That's a soccer mom truck. That's what you get before you work in Fort Mac for a couple seasons until you can get an F350 with a lift kit. Then you get laid off because of how volatile the oil industry is and all you have to your name is a ridiculous truck and thousands wasted on cocaine and speed with no savings and no home so you go back home to Manitoba or New Brunswick, angry at the Liberals and NDP for loving up your life and vowing to only ever vote conservative until you die.

Why yes I am from Calgary why do you ask

Canada, huh. I'm in southern Indiana, literally on the border with Kentucky where I work. When I'm not dodging farm equipment on the tiny two lane highways in the middle of the country, I'm getting blasted by some rollin'-coal redneck. At least you get free healthcare!

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1058437636895821824?s=09

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That’s not fair, it’s also because they acknowledge non white people exist.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean he can threaten to do a lot of things, but he's still not the Fuhrer as much as he wants to be. If he were to actually sign that executive order tomorrow, it would take seconds for it to be declared illegal and would never go into effect.

Who would declare it illegal? Both houses of Congress are majority lead by his death cultists and he put two justices into the Supreme Court to get the majority there too

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

How many times have I thought this? How many times have I been wrong?

Too many on both accounts.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Internet Wizard posted:

Who would declare it illegal? Both houses of Congress are majority lead by his death cultists and he put two justices into the Supreme Court to get the majority there too

The ACLU is very skilled at finding friendly federal judges who are willing to issue quick injunctions in cases like this. Actually amending the amendment will take both houses of Congress and 3/4 of the governors and state legislatures, and meanwhile the injunction won't reach SCOTUS until next year at the earliest.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Besesoth posted:

The ACLU is very skilled at finding friendly federal judges who are willing to issue quick injunctions in cases like this. Actually amending the amendment will take both houses of Congress and 3/4 of the governors and state legislatures, and meanwhile the injunction won't reach SCOTUS until next year at the earliest.

In a surprise maneuver, SCOTUS immediately took ownership of the case and ruled in a 5-4 decision that the President could end birthright citizenship.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spokane. Spokane. Oh man! Spokane.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gynocentric Regime posted:

In a surprise maneuver, SCOTUS immediately took ownership of the case and ruled in a 5-4 decision that the President could end birthright citizenship.

Uh huh. Yeah that could totally happen. Sure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Proteus Jones posted:

Uh huh. Yeah that could totally happen. Sure.

Technically the would just reinterpret the amendment to mean something else.

Hell this Supreme Court has already done this before.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Worst case is that it would be an 8-1 making GBS threads on the order with only Kavanaugh voting to uphold it. There’s conservative judges but they’re still very experienced jurists who know there’s no ambiguity. Pretty sure that whole thing is settled in some old case law anyway.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean we all remember how the president singlehandedly removed all trans troops

Wait, no, people said, "No, rear end in a top hat, you're not actually the King of America and you can't do that."

Like yeah, we got way too many people enabling the rear end in a top hat, but there's a whole system built around making this poo poo a slow process because of exactly this kind of situation, and mostly people in that system who got in because they legit believe in it.

It's not great, but we're also not a dictatorship just yet.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I mean we all remember how the president singlehandedly removed all trans troops

Wait, no, people said, "No, rear end in a top hat, you're not actually the King of America and you can't do that."

Like yeah, we got way too many people enabling the rear end in a top hat, but there's a whole system built around making this poo poo a slow process because of exactly this kind of situation, and mostly people in that system who got in because they legit believe in it.

It's not great, but we're also not a dictatorship just yet.

Thank goodness America has a system in place to prevent atrocities

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Frog Act posted:

Thank goodness America has a system in place to prevent atrocities

Definitely what I said, excellent reading comprehension there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Friend of a friend posted this.

I'm the definitely-not-photoshopped "NRA" on the hat.

"We genocided the indians" = erasing history

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There was some discussion in the D&D Trump thread about how a birthright citizenship case would work out before the Supreme Court. One thing that was pointed out was that while Thomas is an insane originalist, he's a consistent insane originalist and the language in the Constitution is clear and settled precedent. There s no chance he'd vote to take it away.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1058439421983383554?s=19

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

I'm torn between being glad I watched this and being mad that I watched it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

But it was all right, everything was all right. He loved Big Gay Frog Brother.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Man never knew that the gunz amendment was the 1st one.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

No school shootings though, so....

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-awful-but-revealing-examples-conservative-comedy/

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Definitely what I said, excellent reading comprehension there.

No you're right I'm glad our system of checks and balances have kept things from degenerating to a point where we put children in cages and liberals can still feel sanguine about congressional oversight committees

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Frog Act posted:

No you're right I'm glad our system of checks and balances have kept things from degenerating to a point where we put children in cages and liberals can still feel sanguine about congressional oversight committees

"Hey guys, don't panic over the rear end in a top hat in office changing constitutional amendments, the system is set up to make that poo poo difficult."

"Yeah, but he's done atrocities that are allowed by the system, so therefore there's no checks to his power at all and we are now North Korea 2.0"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

"Hey guys, don't panic over the rear end in a top hat in office changing constitutional amendments, the system is set up to make that poo poo difficult."

"Yeah, but he's done atrocities that are allowed by the system, so therefore there's no checks to his power at all and we are now North Korea 2.0"

Yeah, these crazy hysterical people panicking over Trump really need to get over things and trust the Supreme Court

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

this is a very good read. A very good read indeed.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

kind of appreciate her letting everybody know upfront the idiocy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ambitious Spider posted:

kind of appreciate her letting everybody know upfront the idiocy

TBF if I were writing a dating profile I might say the same thing, if only because it would bait people who just can't resist taking me to task about what an idiot I appear to be, in which case score, they're a keeper

It's like how the Nigerian scam emails are designed to be too implausible for anyone but the stupid and gullible to respond to, only in reverse kinda

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Jesus gently caress

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Frog Act posted:

Yeah, these crazy hysterical people panicking over Trump really need to get over things and trust the Supreme Court

americas supreme court is about to become useless like japans when republicans realise you can just ignore it and continue doing what ever you want. or you know stack it full of poo poo so you can repel roe v wade and illegally ammend the constitution and they will hand wave you in

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/960568745298223104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

snergle posted:

americas supreme court is about to become useless like japans when republicans realise you can just ignore it and continue doing what ever you want. or you know stack it full of poo poo so you can repel roe v wade and illegally ammend the constitution and they will hand wave you in

They will literally never repeal roe v wade.

They will and have amended to oblivion. Which is way more effective.