Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

muscles like this! posted:

It's weird when the spinoff doesn't happen. Like on House where they had an arc with a new PI character who was supposed to get his own show and then it didn't happen.

That's a good point. When you really stop and think about how many supporting characters there are in popular shows that are really well liked, it's surprising there's not more of them. There's always some TV exec looking to cash in and wondering what "the kids these days are into" or how to otherwise milk the ever loving poo poo out of a hot property that you'd almost expect a Ned Flanders or Moe's Tavern sitcom. Sometimes they get it right like "Better Call Saul" and after thinking about it seems like there's actually more hits than misses.

Then again, we're getting a Young Sheldon prequel BBT show so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Young Sheldon is already airing, it has two seasons and will most likely have many more

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a good point. When you really stop and think about how many supporting characters there are in popular shows that are really well liked, it's surprising there's not more of them. There's always some TV exec looking to cash in and wondering what "the kids these days are into" or how to otherwise milk the ever loving poo poo out of a hot property that you'd almost expect a Ned Flanders or Moe's Tavern sitcom. Sometimes they get it right like "Better Call Saul" and after thinking about it seems like there's actually more hits than misses.

The fact that Family Guy somehow managed a multi-season spin-off and yet they never tried with the Simpsons is baffling.

One would think Fox would have tried to push through a spin-off at the height of Simpsons-mania.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

Pokemon and Digimon are just so different despite being in the Kids inexplicably on their own fighting with monsters genre
See also: medabots

you seem fun and cool and probably have a big dick or small vagina

I recall Pokemon got incredibly predictable and formulaic fast while Digimon actually got a lot more twisty and interesting, resulting in the third series (Tamers) getting into some crazy Lovecraftian poo poo. Though I think a lot of people dropped off after Tamers, or at least I did.

Medabots I recall being straight comedy, and sometimes pretty good at it. Also Metabee was something like Shaft as a child's robot, complete with a fuckload of guns.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vandar posted:

The fact that Family Guy somehow managed a multi-season spin-off and yet they never tried with the Simpsons is baffling.

One would think Fox would have tried to push through a spin-off at the height of Simpsons-mania.

IIRC, the 'Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase' was a skewering of that idea.

Futurama is about the closest thing we got, and probably just as well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BiggerBoat posted:

you'd almost expect a Ned Flanders or Moe's Tavern sitcom.

There was an idea back in around season 8 or 9 of The Simpsons to do a 'Springfield' spinoff, where every episode focused on a totally different side character with no connection to the core family at all. It never really got off the ground, sadly.

The Simpsons spinoff that got the closest to happening was a live-action Troy McClure movie. But then Phil Hartman died, so...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I recall Pokemon got incredibly predictable and formulaic fast while Digimon actually got a lot more twisty and interesting, resulting in the third series (Tamers) getting into some crazy Lovecraftian poo poo. Though I think a lot of people dropped off after Tamers, or at least I did.

Medabots I recall being straight comedy, and sometimes pretty good at it. Also Metabee was something like Shaft as a child's robot, complete with a fuckload of guns.

They are all toy commercials.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

There was an idea back in around season 8 or 9 of The Simpsons to do a 'Springfield' spinoff, where every episode focused on a totally different side character with no connection to the core family at all. It never really got off the ground, sadly.

This idea would form the basis of the classic episode 22 Short Films About Springfield, of Steamed Hams fame

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

They are all toy commercials.

Pokémon and digimon don’t really have those kind of toy lines.

Though toy line cartoons are more of an 80s thing. They haven’t really been a thing for like 30 years.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
No way a Springfield-based Simpsons spin-off would have worked. Networks like spin-offs because you start with the parent show’s potential audience but your cast can’t demand the same salary as the parent show’s leads. Most of The Simpsons’ bankable minor characters are voiced by the lead cast, and they’re not gonna take a pay cut to do the same characters on a show with a different name.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vandar posted:

Having never really thought about it, who would you do?

Lenny & Carl is my sentimental favorite but Moe's Tavern could be a darker version of Cheers so that I guess. Or go Ralph Wiggum and get really weird with it.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

No way a Springfield-based Simpsons spin-off would have worked. Networks like spin-offs because you start with the parent show’s potential audience but your cast can’t demand the same salary as the parent show’s leads. Most of The Simpsons’ bankable minor characters are voiced by the lead cast, and they’re not gonna take a pay cut to do the same characters on a show with a different name.

Thanks a lot, Captain Bringdown.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vandar posted:

That spinoff showcase episode suggests that the writers didn't have much respect for the idea, although they ended up being pretty cool with selling Butterfinger candy bars and t-shirts, so

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I forget what it was called but the season after tamers was really high quality too, and really changed things up again perhaps even moreso (the digidestined became Digimon rather than partnering)

The season after that was hot garbage though for some reason.

And yes, medabots was a bit of a send up, though not as much as samurai pizza cats

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anyone remember the terrible fake spin off episode in The Office when they were going to try and make a Dwight spinoff called The Farm? I don't know why they even aired that episode. You can tell they tried to cut it so that it fit into the last seasons run, but man was it bad. Not "Stairpocalypse" or "The Banker" bad, but really very bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I didn't see many episodes of it but during YuGiOhs height of being a show about a card game that took itself very seriously we got the dub for Duel Masters which took the source material and just made it goofy and fun instead of making another show that took itself very seriously.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Having never really thought about it, who would you do?

Lenny & Carl is my sentimental favorite but Moe's Tavern could be a darker version of Cheers so that I guess. Or go Ralph Wiggum and get really weird with it.

I think the economics of animation really stop spinoffs from happening. The voice cast usually does multiple characters per performer, the studio would have to scale up, and you’d end up with a lot of overlap on the creative side. Why pay them all twice when you could make bank off of paying them once?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

skooma512 posted:

Sorry to bump this a couple weeks later but I like Daria, so here we are.

One thing that kind of stands out is while Daria will happily tell people to their face how stupid they're being, almost nobody reacts to her or treats her with anything more than occasional light antagonism. She doesn't actually have any enemies, even though routinely telling people they suck will eventually result in people wanting a piece of you (ask me how I know).

But that's also an interesting aspect of the character. She rebels against her peers and society, when they aren't compelling her to do anything and don't really give a poo poo what she does.

I feel like they once briefly touched on that.
One of the earlier episodes where one of the jock/popular kids calls her out for being a downer chick, and then dies when a goalpost falls on him. She spends the episode wondering if he had a point, though I can't remember how the episode ends, and it must not have made an impact on her beyond that episode.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The worst of the japanese toy commercial cartoons are the one that involve characters literally playing with the toys (like Yu Gi Oh and Beyblade.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yu gi oh isn’t really a toy commercial cartoon.

The card game didn’t really become a thing until a bit into the show. Plus a lot of the cards used in the show wouldn’t be a thing for like a decade.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yugioh was supposed to be a Saw/Ghost Rider/The Mummy thing, with an ancient spirit possessing a kid and punishing evildoers through elaborate games. Then one chapter had a Magic the Gathering parody and welp

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could buy a tinpet and build a metabot

I guess the commerical worked

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Byzantine posted:

Yugioh was supposed to be a Saw/Ghost Rider/The Mummy thing, with an ancient spirit possessing a kid and punishing evildoers through elaborate games. Then one chapter had a Magic the Gathering parody and welp

The pre-Duelist Kingdom manga is ridiculous. I actually just reread it for the first time since high school and it's basically Hellraiser only he punishes bad people with ironic game based punishments with punishments ranging from mild hospital visits to comas.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah like one of the things he does pre card games is like force someone to stab themselves via a coin flip or something like that

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://twitter.com/Musicedge2/status/1058556240152985600

Early Yugioh is hardcore.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

The pre-Duelist Kingdom manga is ridiculous. I actually just reread it for the first time since high school and it's basically Hellraiser only he punishes bad people with ironic game based punishments with punishments ranging from mild hospital visits to comas.

He lights a man on fire at one point. The pre-duelist kingdom arc is amazing because of how off the rails it is compared to what came afterwards.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Bloop posted:

I forget what it was called but the season after tamers was really high quality too, and really changed things up again perhaps even moreso (the digidestined became Digimon rather than partnering)

The season after that was hot garbage though for some reason.

I thought it was the other way around. Season 5 totally owned, it had the digidenstined and his Agumon meeting after getting into a fistfight at the park and bonding by beating the poo poo out of each other in a territorial dispute (because Agumon was intruding on *his* territory). Then every fight the Digidestined gets Agumon to Digivolve by literally punching the opposing digimon in the face with his bare hands.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Solice Kirsk posted:

Anyone remember the terrible fake spin off episode in The Office when they were going to try and make a Dwight spinoff called The Farm? I don't know why they even aired that episode. You can tell they tried to cut it so that it fit into the last seasons run, but man was it bad. Not "Stairpocalypse" or "The Banker" bad, but really very bad.

They bring back one of the people for a plot later on but that's literally the only connection they have, its so out of place.

They didn't even use Moze really and he's usually what people like about Dwight's farm scenes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Don Gato posted:

He lights a man on fire at one point. The pre-duelist kingdom arc is amazing because of how off the rails it is compared to what came afterwards.

Which time are you talking about? Are you talking about the time he tricked a guy into pouring highly flammable alcohol on himself or the time he made a group of thugs run through a flaming maze.

Or maybe you're getting those confused with the time Joey sets an actual slasher movie slasher on fire in Kaibas death theme park?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Don Gato posted:

The pre-duelist kingdom arc is amazing because of how off the rails it is compared to what came afterwards.

He does still make a guy hang himself in Duelist Kingdom. It was really only in Battle City that the CARDS shoved everything else aside. Even then, the manga at least keeps some evil magic poo poo, and then ditches the cards entirely for the Egyptian arc to finish.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Koalas Massacre posted:

Angel's last season was so much fun that I retroactively consider it a good spin off.

If only for the episode where Angel gets turned into a muppet* and is almost eaten when one of his clients turns into a werewolf.

* While fighting a gang of evil muppets who steal children's souls through their TV show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the_steve posted:

I feel like they once briefly touched on that.
One of the earlier episodes where one of the jock/popular kids calls her out for being a downer chick, and then dies when a goalpost falls on him. She spends the episode wondering if he had a point, though I can't remember how the episode ends, and it must not have made an impact on her beyond that episode.

The Misery Chick, season 1 finale. It actually examines Daria's character and how it affects people around her pretty early on; that most everyone hates Tommy Sherman after his return because he's an arrogant prick, and then after his ironic accidental death the standard 'never speak ill of the dead' thing comes into play with everyone but Daria, who finds herself in an odd position because people start coming to her asking how to cope with their shock and grief... and ends up with Jane, who'd previously been acting the same as Daria or avoiding her, admits that she's feeling grief over his death as well, despite him being a jerk who insulted or propositioned everyone he came across.

It is possibly significant in how the overall arc of the show is Daria maturing and coming to terms with her cynicism and the people around her; that her attitude is something different from dealing with real grief and people's reactions to a death of someone they know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The trope for when conventional armies take a crack at some kind of Godzilla monster without any effect is still called “five rounds rapid” after a line from a doctor who episode thirtysomething years ago that like eight people saw.
This is like the dumbest possible way to make a quite reasonable point. The reference is quite obscure, but Doctor Who was/is an absurdly popular show.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

This is like the dumbest possible way to make a quite reasonable point. The reference is quite obscure, but Doctor Who was/is an absurdly popular show.

It wasn't until it was revamped in the... 2000's?

I remember being in the UK in 2006-2007 or something and being shocked at how big Dr. Who was, we'd barely heard of it in Israel and there it was as big as Star Trek or something. But it still hadn't made it big in the larger world, I don't think, and definitely not in the US.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't really know anyone who gives a poo poo about the old doctor who and I hang out with nerds all day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I remember being in the UK in 2006-2007 or something and being shocked at how big Dr. Who was

So I guess there's only about eight people in the UK?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

So I guess there's only about eight people in the UK?

:raise:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A REALLY strange thing about the "Five Rounds Rapid" is that it must be a proto-meme. Note a T-Shirt you could order from 1993:
https://archive.org/details/starlog_magazine-190/page/n69

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

rodbeard posted:

I don't really know anyone who gives a poo poo about the old doctor who and I hang out with nerds all day.

Doctor Who was gigantic among a lot of people's parents and grandparents, and the revival tends to have multi-generational viewers.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That spinoff showcase episode suggests that the writers didn't have much respect for the idea, although they ended up being pretty cool with selling Butterfinger candy bars and t-shirts, so
More like they started off being pretty cool with writing for a show featuring the characters from the Butterfinger ads, which predate the actual half-hour series by almost a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Since we're getting into some ad stuff, Nicktoons/Disney's "Doug" was (more or less) featured in Grapefruit Juice and USA Network promotions prior to the actual start of the cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2Vm7rOQW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IStrJaL1waE

(Just waiting for a few more years when we get the edgy "Doug From The Grave" reboot of the Dougverse that goes zombie and horror with everything.)