Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, is there a homebrew thing for the 3DS so I can use my switch pro controller in smash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did some quick googling and it looks like there are hacks that allow you to connect a PS4 or Xbone controller but I couldn't find one for the Switch or Wii U Pro controllers, oddly enough.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

ColdPie posted:

"drat, I wish Konami had released the original version of SOTN and also that it was on the Switch...... wait a minute."

what is up with your left joycons buttons

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Anyone got a good guide for actually finding custom themes and implementing them? I tried YouTube but most of it is doing that super secret “go to THAT site” which I don’t really know.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
In my experience, if they're cagey about THAT site or doing some shadowy or dark allusions, they mean a site called dark umbra. Seems to be the hotspot for all things about switch piracy. i think i went there once to find a rom of some game (Pokken something?) i had no interest in just so i could extract the complementary 3.0.0 update files, so i could get exFAT support on my switch, which was so hilariously complicated, time-consuming and rear end-backwards that i eventually just said "gently caress it" and just updated fuseless when that became an option.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Fuseless is so easy, my switch is still on 1.0.0 fuses and im on 5.1.0 atm so it's your loss

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Why do the fuses really matter? I'm at 6.0.1 and just started doing homebrew stuff and haven't run into any roadblocks yet. Curious what I'm really missing out on by updating.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nonviolent J posted:

what is up with your left joycons buttons

Looks like there's just a glare on the arrows since they're a shinier plastic?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Suburban Dad posted:

Why do the fuses really matter?
If you do fuseless upgrades then, in theory, you could downgrade to a previous firmware version later. Although, I don't know if a downgrade process exists outside of restoring an old NAND backup.

Suburban Dad posted:

Curious what I'm really missing out on by updating.
Old firmware versions (might) have vulnerabilities that would allow for a cold-boot exploit without an RCM jig. That's pretty much it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ah gotcha. With sleep mode I still don't see it as a problem. I never shut my switch off before besides for updates when it would force a reboot.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Anyone have a good guide for using GBA flash carts? I finally got a miniSD Super Card with a microSD->miniSD adapter and I'm not entirely sure how to get it to work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WilliamAnderson posted:

Anyone have a good guide for using GBA flash carts? I finally got a miniSD Super Card with a microSD->miniSD adapter and I'm not entirely sure how to get it to work.

What model? Exact instructions vary, and many carts need IPS patching on each ROM to support saving and other features.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My only experience is with the Krikkz everdrive cart, which is excellent. Expensive, but still excellent.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

univbee posted:

What model? Exact instructions vary, and many carts need IPS patching on each ROM to support saving and other features.

Super Card SD, using a microSD to miniSD converter, I've already partitioned my MicroSD to 4 GB and formatted it as FAT, found the loading software, and supposedly found the binary, but I tossed it on the card and I just get a white screen on loading.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

WilliamAnderson posted:

Is that in Lakka or Atmosphere? Any slowdown? Is the sound good?

Atmosphere running Retroarch. I haven't played a ton, but performance seems great, sound is fine. I had to tweak a couple settings, enabling threaded video and audio, to get good performance.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

WilliamAnderson posted:

Super Card SD, using a microSD to miniSD converter, I've already partitioned my MicroSD to 4 GB and formatted it as FAT, found the loading software, and supposedly found the binary, but I tossed it on the card and I just get a white screen on loading.

Do you have any smaller cards? I think that one only accepts 2 gigs, max

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lord Frisk posted:

My only experience is with the Krikkz everdrive cart, which is excellent. Expensive, but still excellent.

Yeah I have a GBA Everdrive and it’s a god-tier little cart

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

RandomFerret posted:

Do you have any smaller cards? I think that one only accepts 2 gigs, max

Even with like, partitioning it to pretend to be 2 GB? And nah, I never had microSD cards before SDHC, it's boggling that these things even existed.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Hell Gem
Got my GameCube controllers and adapter coming from Amazon that I preordered a long time ago to use with Switch Smash.

Anyway I think it's time to mod my Wii U. Gonna buy Brain Age and follow
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

So from what I am seeing you can now just "inject" Gamecube games to the Wii U homescreen?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

I assume I have to also do the VWii mod for this to work right?
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/vwii-modding

Maybe also install that Nintendont program and load in in VWii before I go injecting?

Also I have a huge Wii U Library of games I've bought so I don't really need a huge USB hard drive, since I'm not planning on pirating Wii U poo poo (I think I have every game of worth except Donkey Kong) so a USB drive stuck in the back will work just fine for installing some Wii Games and maybe a Wii U game or two?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01BGTG3JA/ref=twister_B06XHWWJRW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 2, 2018

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Bum the Sad posted:

Got my GameCube controllers and adapter coming from Amazon that I preordered a long time ago to use with Switch Smash.

Anyway I think it's time to mod my Wii U. Gonna buy Brain Age and follow
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

So from what I am seeing you can now just "inject" Gamecube games to the Wii U homescreen?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

I assume I have to also do the VWii mod for this to work right?
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/vwii-modding

Maybe also install that Nintendont program and load in in VWii before I go injecting?

Also I have a huge Wii U Library of games I've bought so I don't really need a huge USB hard drive, since I'm not planning on pirating Wii U poo poo (I think I have every game of worth except Donkey Kong) so a USB drive stuck in the back will work just fine for installing some Wii Games and maybe a Wii U game or two?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01BGTG3JA/ref=twister_B06XHWWJRW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you want Nintendont on your Wii U main screen and don't want to mess around with vWii:

Download loader.dol and rename it boot.dol
Also download meta.xml and icon.png
Create SD/apps/Nintendont/ and put those three files in there
ISOs go in SD/games

Install the forwarder for the Wii U homescreen guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQHxQcfb4Y
(you'll need wup installer to do that)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Hell Gem

Nonviolent J posted:

If you want Nintendont on your Wii U main screen and don't want to mess around with vWii:

ISOs go in SD/games

Does this mean I never have to hack my Vwii?

Also where is the forwarder? Is that the thing you find on the Wii U USB helper when you search Nintendont?

Also where did you find that .dol and files. Could I have a link to the thread? Or is that just the standard one not a special one needed to work with the forwarder?

If I want to play old Wii backups can I do that from the Wii U menu or do I need to mod vWii?

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 3, 2018

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Check the YouTube discription for the forwader

You can make a usbgx forwarder or whatever you want to use to play Wii games using this or if you want to make individual GameCube or Wii games/homebrew forwarders

You don't have to hack your vWii to get it to work

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 3, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Hell Gem

Nonviolent J posted:

Check the YouTube discription for the forwader

You can make a usbgx forwarder or whatever you want to use to play Wii games using this or if you want to make individual GameCube or Wii games/homebrew forwarders

You don't have to hack your vWii to get it to work

Yeah I found that injector and was gonna use that for my GC games. But from what I’ve read usbgx is a vWii thing. I don’t have to install that?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Nonviolent J posted:

ISOs go in SD/games

Does the GC adapter work with this?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah I found that injector and was gonna use that for my GC games. But from what I’ve read usbgx is a vWii thing. I don’t have to install that?

You might have to do some research or trial and error, I got it to work but I had to install it on vWii first but ymmv

Just use the injector and make a forwader for usbloader or which ever other backup loaders there are and see if any work

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 4, 2018

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Keito posted:

Does the GC adapter work with this?

I don't think so, the Nintendont forwader sacrifices USB support to be able to use the tablet as a controller

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Can I ask a question about Wii hacking?

My trying to rebuild my old virtual console collection on a new 4.3U Wii using MMM v13.4.

Installing a wad is giving me a Ticket -2011 error. I looked that up and saw that the typical fix is to change the IOS. According to the MMM my current IOS is 58 v6176, but when I go into the IOS manager to switch to 249 nothing happens. I press the home button to Load IOS249 and there's no response or change.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing? Is there a step that I skipped somewhere?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Hell Gem

Nonviolent J posted:

I don't think so, the Nintendont forwader sacrifices USB support to be able to use the tablet as a controller

Oh. The whole reason I’m modding is because my GC controllers and adapters came in.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Strange Matter posted:

Can I ask a question about Wii hacking?

My trying to rebuild my old virtual console collection on a new 4.3U Wii using MMM v13.4.

Installing a wad is giving me a Ticket -2011 error. I looked that up and saw that the typical fix is to change the IOS. According to the MMM my current IOS is 58 v6176, but when I go into the IOS manager to switch to 249 nothing happens. I press the home button to Load IOS249 and there's no response or change.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing? Is there a step that I skipped somewhere?

did you not install cIOS files? d2x or something was the latest one I think.

https://wii.guide/cios.html

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

MagusDraco posted:

did you not install cIOS files? d2x or something was the latest one I think.

https://wii.guide/cios.html
No, I didn't do that step. I'm nervous about messing around with the Wii's IOS for fear of bricking the thing, but I guess if I'm playing with fire I better start getting serious. Which starts getting Bootmii running. I'll see about getting this to work today.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The GC controller definitely works for some iteration of Gamecube modding, just not the home screen one. I don't know what software mod it was because it was years ago but I remember using Gamecube controllers to play on the Wii screen.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Hell Gem
Well poo poo

So I'm going down the list on https://wiiu.hacks.guide/get-started and just ran into trouble

where it says

16. Copy the contents of the NNU-Patcher .zip to the root of your SD card

there's already a info.json and a manifest.install in my root from step 13. Copy the contents of the WUP Installer GX2 .zip to the root of your SD card

Anyone have any clue?

edit: well poo poo theres an info.json and manifest.install in the mocha.zip too

Edit: everything works fine

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 5, 2018

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah just follow the instructions and you'll be ok. My folder looked like this and I got it working ok.

night slime
May 14, 2014
What's with the awful screen choice settings for VC DS games? Was there some reason you can only have the upper screen on TV or are they insane? How hard would it have to been to press a button and switch screens for when you needed to use the touchscreen?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My main 3DS isn't running CFW since I decided it would be better to have that stuff on a separate device for whenever I want to play out of region games. That approach worked well until today when I got fed up with Pokemon Picross and I'm tired of waiting days just to get enough crystals to unlock a new area, so it's time to use a save editor and I'd like to do that without installing CFW, can I do this from the homebrew launcher? I still have Cubic Ninja.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I swear I have launched a gamecube game from the wii u home screen and used the mayflash usb hub to play it with a gamecube controller. I'm not at home so I can't verify but I'm almost certain I did that.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Hell Gem

Breadallelogram posted:

I swear I have launched a gamecube game from the wii u home screen and used the mayflash usb hub to play it with a gamecube controller. I'm not at home so I can't verify but I'm almost certain I did that.

It’s working just fine actually. I’m launching nintendont using a forwarder from the main screen and my game cube controller works fine. I injected the game as well to launch from home screen and it still works as well.

When you launch Nintendont or whatever just make sure when it asks if you want to use the Gamepad say no.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's been a while since I've used my 2DS, but since FreeShop is dead now, what's the go-to?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You're back to browsing for google drive links like an animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

RandomFerret posted:

You're back to browsing for google drive links like an animal

that or being one of the lucky bastards with an account on a private torrent site