Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrChud posted:

So one of my friends from work just posted this on FB. They bought the set for her son and from my guess some scum bag returned it after taking figures and the orange pieces. I’ve seen people steal from bags before, but I never seen them replace bags(2 and 5) plus they were sealed/resealed. The one had a pill bottle top and screws in it. Wtf. Are those lepin pieces? I can see they don’t have the LEGO formed in to the studs. Anyone recognize that style of bag? Just curious what they may have come from.

Did they mention where they'd purchased this? I once bought a TIE Fighter Microfighter at a Wal-Mart, and when I opened it at home, none of the bags belonged to the TIE Fighter. (It's why any LEGO I get a Wal-Mart I now checked before the parking lot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Crotch Fruit posted:

It depends on the purity and whether or not it has been cut with pill bottles or K'Nex, but in general Lego on eBay runs about $10/lb so $100 for 21lbs is a pretty good deal.

The minifig bag has Jabba the Hut and Batman in it among other things, I think this will be a good deal.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Minifig scale model of the front of the cathedral in Antwerp, Belgium.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Did they mention where they'd purchased this? I once bought a TIE Fighter Microfighter at a Wal-Mart, and when I opened it at home, none of the bags belonged to the TIE Fighter. (It's why any LEGO I get a Wal-Mart I now checked before the parking lot)

It was from Walmart. Her son has been eyeing the set for a while and has been saving his birthday and other money to buy it. She said he was so sad he couldn’t build it:( She called Walmart’s customer service line and they basically could have cared less and told her to bring in for return/exchange. Didn’t even apologize for what she found inside. Her main problem and concern was the pill bottle top and screws in it. She also reached out to LEGO also thinking it might have been them, before I explained to her that they weren’t even real LEGO and someone returned it. She said LEGO was super nice about it, basically said sorry that this happened to you at a store that sells out products and they are going to make it right and send replacement bags or a new set for all that is missing. That is good customer service right there, and it wasn’t even purchased directly from them. I know Walmart’s going to get a earful later when she returns it though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The actual bags are all Lego bags. Lego uses both style bags. You can see where they taped them with packing tape. I don't think they even just jacked the figs and orange parts it looks like they took the whole set and replaced it with trash.It's funny how much effort they put into it and all of that probably doesn't weigh half as much as the actual set.

Lol I only ever hear about that happening at WalMart because, of course it does.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 30, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

veni veni veni posted:

Lol I only ever hear about that happening at WalMart because, of course it does.

Like I said, any LEGO I buy from Wall-Mart now I check in my car before leaving.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing is that the only thing I buy at WalMart is Lego. I hate that place but they have a good selection compared to target and are the only place I know of that actually does baller rear end clearance deals.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing is that the only thing I buy at WalMart is Lego. I hate that place but they have a good selection compared to target and are the only place I know of that actually does baller rear end clearance deals.
Still regret not being able to walk out with cartfuls of clearanced avatar the last airbender sets for 80% off, they had entire shelves of the fire nation ship, like 50 of them, for 15 bucks each. But I was utterly, utterly broke at the time. That ship was a goldmine of dark grey pieces, iirc

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Not sure if Mega Construx bought the lisence for it, or if they're just doing it, but they've started doing the numbered bags thing.

They also seem to be throwing in random "fun" bits in bigger sets now. Got their brick separator and a paper clip in the big Pikachu, Got a double stud sided turning bit with Mewtwo, and just now got a rubber banded 2X4 in an Onix set that is supposed to be a pencil grip. Which is great, love weird extras like that.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

veni veni veni posted:

The actual bags are all Lego bags. Lego uses both style bags. You can see where they taped them with packing tape. I don't think they even just jacked the figs and orange parts it looks like they took the whole set and replaced it with trash.It's funny how much effort they put into it and all of that probably doesn't weigh half as much as the actual set.

The teenager at the returns desk isn't going to know that. They'll do a cursory check if anything at all.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Anora posted:

Not sure if Mega Construx bought the lisence for it, or if they're just doing it, but they've started doing the numbered bags thing.

They also seem to be throwing in random "fun" bits in bigger sets now. Got their brick separator and a paper clip in the big Pikachu, Got a double stud sided turning bit with Mewtwo, and just now got a rubber banded 2X4 in an Onix set that is supposed to be a pencil grip. Which is great, love weird extras like that.

What does their brick separator look like?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Somehow got around to thinking about lighting solutions for the Lego UCS MF and ended up on aliexpress looking at led light up kits for all these other sets I own.

I know someone posted earlier about buying them here, what did you think about it, and is it worth the $10-25 for a small light kit? How safe/unsafe is aliexpress anyway? lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've never had an issue with Aliexpress.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
I use a one-time/limited card number when I buy on Aliexpress, but have never had an issue either. If you see something that is a preorder, know that there is no guaranteed date for it - but I got sets once they were released with no issues as well.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Last day for double points!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

w00tazn posted:

Somehow got around to thinking about lighting solutions for the Lego UCS MF and ended up on aliexpress looking at led light up kits for all these other sets I own.

I know someone posted earlier about buying them here, what did you think about it, and is it worth the $10-25 for a small light kit? How safe/unsafe is aliexpress anyway? lol

Alipay is the biggest mobile payment processor in the world so it's perfectly safe to use. I've been using Aliexpress for years and have never had my card compromised.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Update: Bought the 21 pounds of Lego for $100. There was an entire gallon bag of wheels and tires, a bag of brown parts including a sail, multiple bags of black parts and a bunch of other cool stuff. I'll take pictures if I remember to when I get back into town. I guess I was the first person to email her, others offered more but she stuck with first dibs. The kid who owned them was there and didn't seem to care, he hasn't played with them in years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Were there any instruction manuals?

I hope you are able to put together some good sets. :)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

w00tazn posted:

Go nuts and get the lightmybricks one! Also buy me the Harry Potter castle kit while you’re there, tia

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kensei posted:

Update: Bought the 21 pounds of Lego for $100. There was an entire gallon bag of wheels and tires, a bag of brown parts including a sail, multiple bags of black parts and a bunch of other cool stuff. I'll take pictures if I remember to when I get back into town. I guess I was the first person to email her, others offered more but she stuck with first dibs. The kid who owned them was there and didn't seem to care, he hasn't played with them in years.
You should have paid the kids $100 to keep his ABS crack Lego. Guarantee in about 6 months time when he has forgotten this ordeal, he is going to start searching the house for hours on end looking for his childhood memories only to hear his Mom say "Don't you remember? You sold the Legos to the creepy pony tailed man wearing jorts. You used the money to buy video games."

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
The Pop-Up Book is up for order. Got mine on the way.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Finally got off my rear end and took some pics of the Mega Construx brick separator and other oddities:

I need a light diffuser (is that like a sheet of something?), and some kind of stand for my phone camera, cause my other picks are looking a bit too much:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Aww I was kinda hoping the Mega Construx brick separator was just a rusting butter knife.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
December 1-10, $100 = free holiday carousel. So I guess I'll wait till then to buy the pop-up book and...something else.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Anora posted:

Finally got off my rear end and took some pics of the Mega Construx brick separator and other oddities:

I need a light diffuser (is that like a sheet of something?), and some kind of stand for my phone camera, cause my other picks are looking a bit too much:

How does the brick separator work? It looks like it has a moving part?

Does anything work with the gap in the middle?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

The shadow may just be tricking, but it looks like the 2 "axles" are different sized, one for the hollow studs that Mega loves, and the other a true cross axle?

Feenix posted:

Aww I was kinda hoping the Mega Construx brick separator was just a rusting butter knife.

Or identical to the Lego one except purple

^^ Yeah a light diffuser is usually a sheer sheet or translucent plastic on the cheap side. The plastic covers of ceiling flourescents is an example of something that could be picked up cheap and then cut to size or build some kind of contraption to go where needed

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My wife made a decent lightbox using posterboard, white fabric, and a hobby knife. It wouldn’t be the best for large sets or displays, but could be useful for minifigs and smaller models.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DIY light boxes work great, wax paper works too.

Some pretty cheap collapsible ones on amazon too. Get some cheap clamp light from Home Depot and have fun.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Talking of brick separator - Lego ones will be made in teal as of 2019.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a video of that mega construx thing in action?

PriorMarcus posted:

Talking of brick separator - Lego ones will be made in teal as of 2019.

Guess I have to find a set I like in 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Guess I have to find a set I like in 2019

Lego Movie 2 is coming out, problem solved.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I don't get about Lego. Why is the Star Wars tax so much higher than the Marvel tax when both are owned by Disney and Marvel is arguably even more popular than SW at this point in time? Like, no other licenses even come close to being as big of a rip off as Star Wars and the prices just seem to get even worse every year.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I don't get about Lego. Why is the Star Wars tax so much higher than the Marvel tax when both are owned by Disney and Marvel is arguably even more popular than SW at this point in time? Like, no other licenses even come close to being as big of a rip off as Star Wars and the prices just seem to get even worse every year.

older and very devoted fanbase with more disposable income maybe?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'd guess it relates to Star Wars being their oldest, most enduring licence, so there's plenty of people who have been collecting it for actual decades and just can't stop now. Plus the Star Wars movies themselves are even older cultural icons, while the Marvel movies, while very successful, aren't as well established in the cultural psyche.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The properties being owned by the same company doesn't mandate they have the same contract. They could be managed by completely separate representatives. Or maybe star wars is a much more desirable license and they have to outbid other toy makers.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

PriorMarcus posted:

How does the brick separator work? It looks like it has a moving part?

Instead of putting the separator horizontally, you tab it in vertically, and then the orange 2X2 slides down to pop out the left over brick

quote:

Does anything work with the gap in the middle?

Not that I know of.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

The shadow may just be tricking, but it looks like the 2 "axles" are different sized, one for the hollow studs that Mega loves, and the other a true cross axle?

That's right.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

I'd guess it relates to Star Wars being their oldest, most enduring licence, so there's plenty of people who have been collecting it for actual decades and just can't stop now. Plus the Star Wars movies themselves are even older cultural icons, while the Marvel movies, while very successful, aren't as well established in the cultural psyche.

Lego landed the original Star Wars license at a time when Star Wars was extremely hot and Lego was... not. They're the biggest toy company in the world now and have a lot more leverage to negotiate terms.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
https://www.brickfanatics.com/10267-free-fall-tower-rumoured-for-lego-creator-expert-in-2019/

Sorry if this is double posted rechecked back a bit. Possible 2019 fairground item is a drop tower.

I’m a sucker for this fairground theme. If anyone has any links or photos of Mocs to share I’d love to see it. Game stalls, other rides etc.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Straight White Shark posted:

Lego landed the original Star Wars license at a time when Star Wars was extremely hot and Lego was... not. They're the biggest toy company in the world now and have a lot more leverage to negotiate terms.

But the licence itself may not be up for renewal on this basis yet. Consider that to a bunch like Megabloks, the Star Wars licence is still big enough to potentially propel them to being on par with Lego, and it's easy to see why Lego might feel they need to keep their bids high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxw6x9lTwM