Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey, inspector 666, curling is on NBCSN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Der Meister posted:

Also this is definitive proof that California is better than Texas.

Arlington Dallas is a boring shithole, I wouldn’t want to live there either.

Especially when your other choice is LA. I mean, c’mon.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Regarding the whole Kershaw only take short term deals under his true market value, is he not some kind of Pentecostal christian or something? Might be some weird humbleness/guilt thing going on.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All of Texas is poo poo, sell it back to Mexico.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

zapplez posted:

Regarding the whole Kershaw only take short term deals under his true market value, is he not some kind of Pentecostal christian or something? Might be some weird humbleness/guilt thing going on.

Kershaw is super into Jesus but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Probably more about leaving the door open to retire in your mid 30's with uh, plenty of money.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Edit: Nevermind!

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 3, 2018

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Regional rivalries aside, Dallas is a fun city

It's no San Antonio

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Hey, inspector 666, curling is on NBCSN

Oh I know it, motherfucker.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yo I did a curling class last year. Highly recommend. Probably one in your area

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Goodpancakes posted:

Yo I did a curling class last year. Highly recommend. Probably one in your area

I'm already signed up for a proper league this year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Regional rivalries aside, Dallas is a fun city

It's no San Antonio

Maybe it’s just because I go there so rarely, but I’ve always found Dallas to be extremely boring. You have the JFK Museum, Six Flags, and (outside the city) Collin Street Bakery and that’s it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh I know it, motherfucker.

:hfive:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel bad because I gave STAC Goat poo poo and he hasn't posted since

Wasn't a real accusation my dude :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

:hfive:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

I found a thing:

https://tecmobowl.org/files/file/538-bad-news-baseball-2017/

oh my god, YES:

https://tecmobowl.org/files/file/583-ken-griffey-baseball-2018/

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 3, 2018

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

There's also MVP Mods for MVP Baseball 2005, which I could never find a copy of and just found out that at least one website classifies as abandonware :thunk:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
With Kershaw I wonder if he and the team know enough about his back to know he's not gonna go late into his 30s, and any team doing a physical would find the same thing, so why not lock in your career with the same team?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well Played Mauer posted:

With Kershaw I wonder if he and the team know enough about his back to know he's not gonna go late into his 30s, and any team doing a physical would find the same thing, so why not lock in your career with the same team?

I still gotta say, its incredibly impressive to me the guy has such character he doesn't just force a way for some team to sign him for $250 million for 8 years or whatever. Many players even if they figured would be unable to play well or play through injury past year 4 of that deal would still want teams to sign them for it.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

zapplez posted:

I still gotta say, its incredibly impressive to me the guy has such character he doesn't just force a way for some team to sign him for $250 million for 8 years or whatever. Many players even if they figured would be unable to play well or play through injury past year 4 of that deal would still want teams to sign them for it.

I would argue that it is the players' moral imperative to extract as much money from ownership as they possibly can.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chris Woodward, former journeyman junk player who once managed an OPS+ of -100 (admittedly in 10 PAs), and the Dodgers' 3B coach for the last three years, is the new manager of the Rangers.

ego symphonic posted:

I would argue that it is the players' moral imperative to extract as much money from ownership as they possibly can.

In general I agree, but Kershaw obviously saw what happened in last year's free agent market, and with teams that have more money than God like the Cubs doing salary dumps and saying they don't plan on doing much, maybe he figured he wasn't going to beat what the Dodgers were offering. Bird in the hand beating two in the bush and all that.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 3, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m still confused why Joe Girardi did interviews and then bailed on being considered for all of those jobs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m still confused why Joe Girardi did interviews and then bailed on being considered for all of those jobs.

This is a guy who got fired after winning Manager of the Year, and then got fired after coming within a game of the World Series. I get the feeling that he isn't the easiest person in the world to deal with.

Or he decided he wants to wait for the Cubs job to open up, who knows?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why even bother? Girardi earned 21.3 million over his catching career and his last 4 year contract before he left NY was for $16 million plus bonuses. He's probably not bored yet.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/rangers/status/1058765846103891974?s=21

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ego symphonic posted:

If the theory that he knows his back is bad and he will never be able to live up to the contract, I'd say he is just fine playing the contracts in short term. Normally I'm all gently caress the owners, but if you believe your medical condition might make you incapable of playing, it's pretty honorable to not sign a contract you believe you wont be able to even do attendance for.

It's much different than just being 32 and expecting you might regress but don't expect yourself to become incapable whatsoever of pitching possibly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you just sign a longer contract and then retire if you don't feel you can fulfill it?

Owners are not going to be so honorable 3 years from now and offer him the same amount of money he could have demanded now.

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 3, 2018

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

ego symphonic posted:

My point was more that this may be the most money he can extract if whatever's bothering his back can show up on an MRI. If he has some awful degenerative problem, the chances of a big market team not seeing that and offering him a long-term deal is pretty much zero. This may be a situation where he was able to get a loyalty bonus to finish his career in LA. Like how Kobe's final contract was way over market value, but the Lakers did it anyway because of his legacy.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

In general I agree, but Kershaw obviously saw what happened in last year's free agent market, and with teams that have more money than God like the Cubs doing salary dumps and saying they don't plan on doing much, maybe he figured he wasn't going to beat what the Dodgers were offering. Bird in the hand beating two in the bush and all that.

I'd be really mad if I was a pitcher right now and saw that the best pitcher in a generation only received an additional one year on his contract.

This looks bad for a lot of players currently available on the market.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeah. Patrick Corbin's dream of a $125 million deal just went up in smoke, that's for sure.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Reminder that the AFL Fall Stars game is tonight.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I think Kershaw loves the Dodgers and wants to spend his whole career there, has made $160 million already (~$260 million by the end of this extension), and didn't want to opt out a week after losing a second consecutive world series. Seems reasonable to me and I don't see how his decision affects how much money Patrick Corbin or anyone else gets.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Owners will look for any excuse to pay players less. The best pitcher of his generation getting so little is a problem for the rest of the pitchers because it gives owners another argument against long-term financial security for the rest of them. In theory Kershaw being off the market raises the prospects of the other FA starters this offseason by moving everyone "up" a slot but I think both AAV's and deal lengths will be lower than they'd have been if Kershaw had gotten more in his extension, let alone if he'd gone to FA. This is all just hypothetical rambling but that's what we do until Opening Day, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Pussy Boss posted:

I think Kershaw loves the Dodgers and wants to spend his whole career there, has made $160 million already (~$260 million by the end of this extension), and didn't want to opt out a week after losing a second consecutive world series. Seems reasonable to me and I don't see how his decision affects how much money Patrick Corbin or anyone else gets.

After last winter, anything is possible.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Kershaw did what every fan says they want their players to do, take a home town discount because he genuinely wants to be here. And people are all :psypop: about it

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

I'd be really mad if I was a pitcher right now and saw that the best pitcher in a generation only received an additional one year on his contract.

This argument is complicated by the fact that these long contracts usually end up looking so obviously terrible at some point. I'm all for milking the billionaires, but my sense is that owners have enough ammunition as is in the contracts of Albert Pujols, Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury, Felix Hernandez, etc. to justify giving players less years/money.

Besides, that's all a red herring anyway since the real issue for the players is having to play for relative peanuts during a silly amount of arb/pre-arb years.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Kershaw did what every fan says they want their players to do, take a home town discount because he genuinely wants to be here. And people are all :psypop: about it

He could have done this and taken a longer contract to stay with LA until the end of his career. Unless he really thinks he'll only be able to pitch for 3 more years.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The best pitcher of his generation might just not love baseball (or a giant contract) as much as the fans or other players do. Heck, his priorities might be more like

1 - Family
2 - God
3 - Setting up some amazing new charities with the already 100 mill i've earned
4 - Retiring sooner to spend more time with my family and to start expanding the outreach I can do Africa and South America, etc
5- Baseball playoffs are fun I guess
6- Need to negotiate for more money
7- Need to negotiate for the good of the players association.

So I'd totally get why he would just sign an extension even if some posters see it as hurting his union brothers.

Now if I am totally wrong and this isn't just a really amazing, giving guy. Maybe is a stupid stats head and wants to retire before his real decline and be on paper the best pitcher of the post pedro era. It would be guaranteed if he doesnt do the last 3 years of averageness or terribleness most great pitchers do.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 3, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

A lot of people are fans of their team first and fans of players, generally, second. It'd be great for the Cardinals if Carlos Martinez, Jack Flaherty and Harrison Bader all signed 10-year extensions to play for $1M a year but it'd be terrible for labor generally and after I stopped dancing around the room in my Cardinals jersey I'd look down at Curt Flood's number and be sad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Apparently the Orioles expect their search for a new GM to take as long as six more weeks ... which would put them past the non-tender deadline and potentially the winter meetings. In the meanwhile, Brady fuckin' Anderson--one of the few people who kept their job in the front office purge--is calling the shots under the supervision of the Angelos brothers. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If you aren't stealing from your boss you're stealing from yourself