Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Being in a garage rockband and helping a guy do this very same thing in the US in a manor just distinct enough to not have DHX rummage around asking for their 10%?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fans too horny, don't send nudes

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What if the other person is Rikka's mom?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The part I don't get about the "Rikka did it" theory is that the series opens with Rikka asking Yuta if he remembers a specific thing that happened just before he was allegedly "created," which is an odd thing for her to do unless she rewrote her memories as well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

The part I don't get about the "Rikka did it" theory is that the series opens with Rikka asking Yuta if he remembers a specific thing that happened just before he was allegedly "created," which is an odd thing for her to do unless she rewrote her memories as well.

Not unreasonable to think that she might not be aware that she's doing it. That's not a perfect explanation of course, but something along those lines feels possible.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the first episode seems to imply that Rikka already knew Yuta in some capacity before the series started, yet for some reason she has yet to actually offer up any information to him as far as that goes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Not that I imagine they're suddenly hot for other people to make money off their IP, especially with the current success of Gridman, but that particular line's been on their website FAQ for 6 years now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Caphi posted:

Or she remembers everything, including Yuta being killed by a Kaiju, is shocked that he came back unlike anyone else, and was simply trying to figure out if he's actually Yuta.

Or Yuta was killed by a kaiju, is retro-dead, and only Rikka really knew that because of mild interaction long prior. She knows he's dead, but he's back (and amnesiac) now. It's why she strongly hesitated to knock on his door.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Squidster posted:

My prediction: before the show began, Akane confessed to Yuta. He rejected her for Rikka, and she killed him via Kaiju. Then she rebuilt a perfect version of him to be her matrix husbando. The reason he can merge with Gridman is because he's a fake, just like the creatures he fights.

It kind of makes sense that Rikka would want to be friends with Akane, but Akane no longer wants to be friends with Rikka if that were the case.

On the other hand, what exactly is up with the world in the first place? And how does Khan play into it?

Shameful.

Didn't Akira Akemiya say he wished he could have made Rikka thiccer? :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 31, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This has probably been brought up before - but I only just noticed that Akane isn't in the brief class photo shot we get in the OP. All of our heroes are and most side characters I can remember, but not her.

Anyway some idle thoughts from my rewatch of episode 4:

-In the context of my earlier speculation that Akane might be all yandere for Rikka, it's kind of interesting that this episode kind of established Rikka as being quite a bit more interested in Akane than the other way around. Rikka didn't want to hang out with the Boydols until Akane said she'd tag along, and then we cut to Rikka singing to herself over her cooking, as overtly happy as we've maybe seen her since the show started. But Akane snubs Rikka by deliberately not sitting with her on the bus, only offers to join her to see the boydols in a bid to get dirt on Yuta, then ditches Rikka there despite her being visibly uncomfortable. Though, at the very least, Akane seems at least vaguely glad that Rikka worries about her after the Kaiju attacks and makes that crack about hoping Rikka doesn't get too close to the Kaiju. Don't have any grand theory to take from all of this, but it stood out.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 31, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It may not amount to anything, particularly since it doesn't directly involve Denkou Choujin Gridman, but an episode of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad had an episode which had the show's lead traveling to an alternate universe, where the usual student antagonist was a kind and caring person and another supporting character (student council president, daughter of the principal) was the one working with the villain instead. And of course, there's all the designs based on Transformer's Shattered Glass universe, which is a very deliberate inverse of the normal state of Transformers - Optimus Prime's eventual fate there was being found by the good shard of Unicron and transformed into the heroic (and no longer murderously psychotic) Nova Prime.

Like, I have doubts the show's creative team is planning on recreating any of that 1:1, but the influences might end up going deeper than names and designs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am always ok with more secret yuri shows.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pretty clear even w/o translation.

https://twitter.com/arumikei/status/1057607922467753984

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

Shameful.

Didn't Akira Akemiya say he wished he could have made Rikka thiccer? :v:
It's never too late.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The opening comes with a new version of the original Gridman opening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=widvKZxRNzI

There's also a full live version of Union and...uhh...processing sure does wonders to his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ThSmZh7MM

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Latest episode is one of the funniest yet. Love the Junior High crew so much. Poor Sho and his pudge problems :(

Also looks like both parties are getting close to figuring out each other's secrets.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I enjoy all the little giveaways about the virtual world, like the train level transition and Akane's bikini of holding.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 3, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It even had a loading screen!

I think it gives weight to the theory that Yuta is a fragment of OG Gridman.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also at first I thought the ending was kaiju boy digging himself out of the rubble, but I guess it was actually the whole area being unloaded now that it's no longer needed? RIP river rafting guides.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I thought it was the daily reset except that we actually got to see it for once. It's definitely slower than the usual instant reset though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sindai posted:

Also at first I thought the ending was kaiju boy digging himself out of the rubble, but I guess it was actually the whole area being unloaded now that it's no longer needed? RIP river rafting guides.

That sounds extremely likely. :stare:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/11/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-55.html

Calibur keeps cats because of course he does. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Akko go home

e: giant red circle helpfully provided by the internet

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

gently caress that audio drama makes me love these dipshits even more.

Will admit, the shot of the Junior Highs pulling out their cash made me laugh.

Edit: Gridman!Akko managed to find love

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Aw, now that's just precious. Love all the details they keep sneaking into this show.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Anti didn't get bullied, good episode.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

These vans look like Ironhide

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFI9sRtr-xU
And here's a subbed 5.5 video for your pleasure as well.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Hogama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFI9sRtr-xU
And here's a subbed 5.5 video for your pleasure as well.

How everybody felt addressed to the Gridman order and everybody has their own apartment got me thinking. Maybe the different parts of Gridman that flew off possessed people, but Yuuta's possession went wrong and he got amnesia instead?

That also explains why Gridman has amnesia as well.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Oh my god Yuta's shirt saying CJ as in CliffJumper. :allears:

I haven't enjoyed an anime this much in a long time.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Show is still good but I can't be the only one starting to want the supporting cast (Who am I kidding, I mean Rikka) to have some more agency in the show.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Dessel posted:

Show is still good but I can't be the only one starting to want the supporting cast (Who am I kidding, I mean Rikka) to have some more agency in the show.

That she seems hesitant to get more involved, compared to glasses boy, seems to be something the show is doing very deliberately. But yeah, those two should really be asking Calibur and co. how they got robots.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dessel posted:

I think that's coming up for sure. Between her refusing to be left behind and her frustration at not being able to keep up with them, I can seen her trying to find a role in the team soon. Especially if they can't return Junk to the thrift store, if Junk isn't at Rikka's place then she'll absolutely start to wonder why she's on the team at all and if she joined only because the computer was in her family's store.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This episode sucked for a hard six minutes at the start. Definitely needed a long, lingering shot of an underage girl in a bikini ten seconds in, folks.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Shinjiphone

https://twitter.com/buzzstyle12/status/1058930590437666816

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

OG Rikka design is pretty much Akane with black hair, huh.

https://twitter.com/tuki3002/status/1058724858266177537?s=19

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Get in the drat robot Rikka.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That episode was boring as poo poo and basically nothing important happened from start to finish? I didn't think that the cinematography or choreography was particularly impressive by this show's admittedly high standards either, everything from the fanservice to the comedy to the action felt rote and lifeless. I've really liked this show so far but today was an absolute dud.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 4, 2018

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

That episode was boring as poo poo and basically nothing important happened from start to finish? I didn't think that the cinematography or choreography was particularly impressive by this show's admittedly high standards either, everything from the fanservice to the comedy to the action felt rote and lifeless. I've really liked this show so far but today was an absolute dud.

Well the plot was advanced a bit in that the show has basically confirmed that the setting is some kind of fake-world what with the way the transitions to the country worked, the fact that the landscape was destroyed the instant they all left etc.

I'll agree that the kaiju fight was much less impressive than normal though, and seemed like it was a bit of a budget-saver what with how much of it was giants standing still firing projectiles at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Well the plot was advanced a bit in that the show has basically confirmed that the setting is some kind of fake-world what with the way the transitions to the country worked, the fact that the landscape was destroyed the instant they all left etc.

We basically already knew that, though - and that was covered in about 30 seconds of the episode's actual runtime. Just like how it felt like the episode was trying to make a big deal of Akane going "okay Yuta is definitely Gridman" even though she was *already* at "okay Yuta is almost certainly Gridman" for the last episode of two. I saw some people on twitter freaking out about the weak Akane/Rikka fanservice scene and thought we might at least get a few more hints as to what their connection is/was, but that wound up being a wet fart too, and nothing else in the episode even had the potential to to matter in any long term sense.