Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

who the gently caress is still using desktop linux without i3 smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i3 and kde are not mutually exclusive

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ibm didn't buy redhat for that bit of people who use an gui though????

stfu

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Tankakern posted:

i use gentoo privately because:
  • it's fun
i use gentoo professionaly because:
  • it gives you crossdev
  • extreme control over the building process built-in in a package manager. why use yocto or buildroot when you can use ~portage~

god this is shameful

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I hope they rename Fedora to IBM Linux or something, because "Fedora" is just the dumbest name imaginable.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pram posted:

god this is shameful

rude

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

mike12345 posted:

I hope they rename Fedora to IBM Linux or something, because "Fedora" is just the dumbest name imaginable.

cant wait for ibm cognative desktop linux with blockcloud technology: community edition

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Linux/2 Warp

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

who the gently caress is still using desktop linux without i3 smdh

people that have embraced dwm supremacy

i think you mean GNU Linux/2 Warp

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

red hat has officially marked kde as deprecated

that kinda sucks

not ready to face to bloodshed and use gnome

I thought you were a VUE CDE diehard

also, any idea where to get HP 98229 RAM modules?

my HP-Apollo 9000/425t didn’t come with any RAM and I want 2018 to be the year of Domain/OS on the desktop

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mike12345 posted:

RHEL ⇒ IBM Enterprise Linux
Fedora ⇒ IBM Open Linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I thought you were a VUE CDE diehard

in the sense that i will defend cde, yes

in the sense that i would still be using an unmaintained package from 20 years ago? not so much

eschaton posted:

also, any idea where to get HP 98229 RAM modules?

my HP-Apollo 9000/425t didn’t come with any RAM and I want 2018 to be the year of Domain/OS on the desktop

'fraid not, i don't own any apollo/domain stuff

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

RHEL ⇒ IBM Enterprise Linux
Fedora ⇒ IBM Open Linux

rhel => ibm enterprise linux for e-business
fedora => e-business linux, open edition, by ibm

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I legit miss cde sometimes. used to have a great workflow with the way windows minimised to the desktop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
cde was genuinely Not Bad but it has been unmaintained since like, 1995.

it got dropped from solaris because they had no idea how to recompile it. that's how badly unmaintained it was.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
might as well use FVMW at that point.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol disco dingo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

might as well use FVMW at that point.

cde was a lot more than just a window manager. it was a complete suite of applications, plus some nice infrastructure to handle poo poo like preferences. and tooltalk, basically dbus from the 1980s. and a display manager. and a scripting language. there was a lot of cde.

the window manager from cde was essentially a tooltalk enabled mwm.

mwm is still maintained, surprisingly. it's one of the reference programs that comes with motif

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soricidus posted:

idk anyone who actually runs linux or any non-mac unix as their primary desktop in a professional environment any more, not for about 5 years now, even if they spend 100% of their time writing and running linux software

Lots of people writing Linux software do so on Linux workstations, to include my last three employers. Sometimes with a Windows laptop on the side for Outlook etc.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
that's literally how I develop except the side laptop is a smackbook

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

that's literally how I develop except the side laptop is a smackbook

same. although my workstation has 2 rx580s and I use gpu passthrough on macos or windows if need be.

The MacBook very rarely gets used. kind of sad really, the company got me a i9/32/512.

Working from home has its perks.

Edit:

Evolution seems to work just fine as an outlook replacement for me as well.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 3, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The IRIX version of CDE is big on italic fonts, its a bit weird. Also the default theme is like that terrible old Windows candy theme but just dialled a bit down in saturation.

There's still something nice about an uncluttered motif desktop.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bulgakov posted:

ibm didn't buy redhat for that bit of people who use an gui though????

stfu

they didn’t buy them for linux at all

it’s literally all about hybrid cloud

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ewe2 posted:

The IRIX version of CDE is big on italic fonts, its a bit weird. Also the default theme is like that terrible old Windows candy theme but just dialled a bit down in saturation.

irix has its own proprietary desktop called "indigo magic," with a special version of motif that's big on italics and silly effects

they shipped cde and standard motif also in order to be buzzword compliant, but it is not exciting to look at. they didn't even bother theming it, since they expected 0 human beings to prefer it to the proprietary desktop

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i cant remember if i've white noise posted about this before, but it crossed my mind because of all the CDE chat, that someone has implemented NeXTSTEP for linux...

has anyone tried it?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

i cant remember if i've white noise posted about this before, but it crossed my mind because of all the CDE chat, that someone has implemented NeXTSTEP for linux...

has anyone tried it?

it would have been a cool project if it came out 15 years ago, when gnustep still had contributors and stuff

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

irix has its own proprietary desktop called "indigo magic," with a special version of motif that's big on italics and silly effects

Yeah they renamed it to "Interactive Desktop", behold its glory (not my machine, that's a doorstop currently):

Tankakern posted:

has anyone tried it?

IIRC that was Window Maker.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 3, 2018

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
all bitmapped fonts, right? they’re probably just taking a regular font and applying some transform

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
System Update Complete

Welcome to Fedora 29

New SELinux error

pram
Jun 10, 2001
setenforce 0

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pram posted:

setenforce 0

no, bad.

Edit: And lazy.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the virgin desktop linux user: troubleshoots selinux, thinks this makes his thinkpad t420 an impregnable fortress
the chad linux janitor: uses base ubuntu ami, doesnt care about security because thats another teams problem

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pram posted:

the chad linux janitor: uses base ubuntu ami

:cawg:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ewe2 posted:

the Indigo Magic UI guidelines are great, I got a copy when I got an Indy and they’re nicely consistent and Mac-like

why’d they have to go and gently caress it up adopting CDE

and then making NT based workstations

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it would have been a cool project if it came out 15 years ago, when gnustep still had contributors and stuff

it’s not like there are any fewer contributors now

or any more either…

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Yeah they renamed it to "Interactive Desktop", behold its glory (not my machine, that's a doorstop currently):

you should get it up and running

what model do you have

quote:

IIRC that was Window Maker.

WindowMaker was always nasty, just mimicking NeXT’s visuals without any understanding of what makes for actual, interoperating applications and then everybody loving assumed it was GNUstep

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

what model do you have

judging from the screenshot, he's got an r5k o2

eschaton posted:

WindowMaker was always nasty, just mimicking NeXT’s visuals without any understanding of what makes for actual, interoperating applications and then everybody loving assumed it was GNUstep

yeah windowmaker copied the next look and feel, but wasn't really integrated with gnustep

the thing tankakern linked to is an actual gnustep desktop environment, just, decades too late for most people to notice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the Indigo Magic UI guidelines are great, I got a copy when I got an Indy and they’re nicely consistent and Mac-like

why’d they have to go and gently caress it up adopting CDE

they didn't actually "adopt" CDE. they just shipped CDE on the disc, so they could be buzzword compliant

i never in my life saw an irix user on cde

eschaton posted:

and then making NT based workstations

this one is an easy explanation: cocaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

all bitmapped fonts, right? they’re probably just taking a regular font and applying some transform

those were hand rendered bitmapped italics they were using

all the old font engines could apply a quick transform when drawing text to bold or oblique it, but having an actual font was of course better, and having hand tuned bitmaps was best