Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s just one more and it’s a conversation. Those ones aren’t the best, really, but I think he’s meant to be one of the first strangers you meet, so it’s an introduction to the concept, maybe

It just seems bizarre to me that they included this five part stranger quest that's just so bland and pointless. Like the weird incidental stuff that you run across in this game is more engaging than these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

super macho dude posted:

Just found out the hard way you can kick a cat to death :smith:

Does this work on cougars?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Klisejo posted:

I missed so much I just said gently caress it and am doing a second playthrough going ultra-methodical this time. Now that I'm not busy trying to figure out how to play, I'm enjoying these early sections sooo much more now.

Same, I'll probably start again using first person mode more, focusing on side quests, and generally engaging more with the story. I really wasn't into Arthur's character because he felt entirely reactionary up until chapter 4/5, so seeing him grow later makes me more fond of him

AndyElusive posted:

Does this work on cougars?

Works on anything if you are brave enough

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Does anybody have any idea where you can reliably get animal fat? I slaughtered an entire field of cows and didn't get a single bit of it.

I've heard pigs regularly have it but I don't know where any pig farms are. Aberdeen was uhh... a bit misrepresented on that map to say the least...

I'm at the point right now where I'm perfectly willing to wipe out an entire farm and the people that work on it just to get my precious animal fat.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 4, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Waterfowl like ducks are great for farming fat. They often appear in flocks so you just deadeye the lot of them with your varmint rifle.

AndyElusive posted:

I guess getting taken for a fool plenty of times during RDR1 lead me to suspect that something was up when I came across a lady on the ground calling for help.

I've stopped for plenty of strangers earlier in the game, and I usually draw on them after initially greeting them. If they're asking for help with something their reactions to me pulling my gun will usually give me a heads up on if they're being honest or not.

This lady sees my repeater and starts to tell me if I'm not going to be a gentleman then she won't be a lady. Before she even finishes her sentence I dead eye her and the two dudes on horseback coming over the hill.

Not today, bandits.

There was a stranger like that where I could tell from the voice acting they were full of poo poo. That was a cool moment.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Fix posted:

It's really easy to accidentally shoot people.

Only if you randomly press buttons on your controller

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

super macho dude posted:

Just found out the hard way you can kick a cat to death :smith:

Please delete your save out of shame and start over. It's the right thing to do.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Works on anything if you are brave enough

What condition are skins from animals you poo poo kick to death?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah but this happens in more than just this mission and is a common complaint. Im just saying after the game i dont have these problems like i can shoot someone in st denis if they shoot first its fine. The reactions of police and the wanted syetem makes sense again after the game. I mean think about you defend yourself in town you just got in a shootout as the most wanted in america while you are supposed to be hiding.

You can find a hiding spot like tall brush and wait out the authorities, then loot to your hearts content.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

yeah you can kick any animal to death, I lassoed a bison and kicked it to death, but ruined it's pelt in the process and failed the mission with javier as a result.

also, my first time in saint denis was pretty awful too, saw a black guy getting beaten by a cop, went to intervene with circle, but the prompt passed just as I hit it, and I ended up decking the officer. what ensued was an hour long escape as I was swarmed by officers that refused to let me surrender, and man is the city big. I couldn't ride off because every time I tried, my horse took way too much damage so I had to run through the streets blasting my way out. got to the bridge leaving the city through the swamp, called my horse, hopped on, and then a group of 6 lawmen ride head on at me and almost kill my horse.

I then had to ride out of lemoyne with a tonne of bounty hunters on my rear end, and every village I stopped at to turn myself in would always end up firing at me straight away so I was unable to. st denis is loving brutal.

also, is predator / herbivore bait working for anyone? every time I use it, nothing is attracted, no matter how long I wait (I also use the cover scent oil). I plop it right down in the middle of the animal icon on the map, and nothing ever comes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I laughed out loud at the conclusion of the Chapter 3 Rhodes stranger quest to help that guy reclaim his lost heirlooms only to discover he was a slaveholder. When I decided to drag him behind my horse until he died the game gave me honor for it:patriot:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AndyElusive posted:

What condition are skins from animals you poo poo kick to death?

You actually don't get skins from kicking an animal to death, instead Rockstar sends an email to your mother telling her that she didn't hug you enough as a child.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

How many of them are there? I just wrapped up #4 and so far it's been pretty lackluster all around. "Ho ho, this guy is a conservationist! Why would anyone worry about protecting the environment? How silly! *winks extremely 2018ishly*" Wow more biting social commentary from the genius level writers at R*.

I really wish everyone involved in writing sidequests at Rockstar would sit down and play Yakuza 0 for a few weeks to see what makes really special sidequests.

5 is the end

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

You actually don't get skins from kicking an animal to death, instead Rockstar sends an email to your mother telling her that she didn't hug you enough as a child.

Oh so knifing an animal in the throat is fine and dandy but if I decide to put my cattle kickers to work...

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

Oh so knifing an animal in the throat is fine and dandy but if I decide to put my cattle kickers to work...

Plus you get +honor for roping and knifing beasts.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sulphagnist posted:

There was a stranger like that where I could tell from the voice acting they were full of poo poo. That was a cool moment.

I forgot to mention I totally L.A Noired the lady trying to honeypot me. When I greeted her she said her horse had an accident and she fell off and sprained her foot. There wasn't a horse anywhere in sight.

A few days before that I actually helped a lady who's horse died on her. I even encountered the body of the dead horse and looted it before running into her.

So I just knew it was a trap.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

super macho dude posted:

Plus you get +honor for roping and knifing beasts.

this would be great except for the fact it prevents me from wiping out entire herds with my lancaster.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Qubee posted:

also, is predator / herbivore bait working for anyone? every time I use it, nothing is attracted, no matter how long I wait (I also use the cover scent oil). I plop it right down in the middle of the animal icon on the map, and nothing ever comes.

It only works if the animal has spawned, I think. Just because you're in its general area doesn't mean it's spawned. If you look around and see a cougar and don't feel like stalking it, you can plant some predator bait and hide and it'll eventually wander over and eat it. Same for herbivores, although there are too many of them to be useful and you probably won't get that 3 star elk you wanted and instead you'll get a 1 star deer or some poo poo.

That's how it seems to me at least. I haven't looked it up in the strategy guide because I haven't felt like I needed it ever.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just found a viking helmet.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

uncle w benefits posted:

I had the never ending wolf pack spawning in the buck area. I was up to my knees in a pile of grey wolves.

While wandering in and around that forest trying to get the legendary buck to spawn, I’ve killed 2 bears, 2 cougars, 3-4 rattlesnakes, several wolf packs, an O’Driscoll camp, and untold numbers of boar and other prey. I’ve saved a man from his own bear trap, ran into the sharpshooter dude again, and sat with a drunk who gave me some stories. I’ve camped until morning/noon/dusk/night. I’ve saved-and-loaded. I’ve come in from the east, west, south, and north. I’ve come in on foot and on horse.

At this point, I’m pretty sure I’d have to raze a few square miles to ashes before the legendary buck would deign to show its face.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

I forgot to mention I totally L.A Noired the lady trying to honeypot me. When I greeted her she said her horse had an accident and she fell off and sprained her foot. There wasn't a horse anywhere in sight.

A few days before that I actually helped a lady who's horse died on her. I even encountered the body of the dead horse and looted it before running into her.

So I just knew it was a trap.

The people that are trying to trick you also sound insincere as hell. She didn't fool me, nor did that (random encounter minor spoiler, nothing plot related) fucker who stole my horse. That guy still got it briefly because I didn't expect him to pull me off, but I already had my rifle ready with full dead-eye.

The people who actually need your help sound like they need it. Those other fuckers sound fake as hell. I think it's actually good voice acting there.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

TMMadman posted:

I just found a viking helmet.

Now find the axe and go full berserker.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Someone tell me where to find some drat badgers. It's the last pelt I need for satchels and none of the areas I've seen online yield anything. :argh:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shortspecialbus posted:

Now find the axe and go full berserker.

Yeah I found the axe with it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kalsco posted:

Someone tell me where to find some drat badgers. It's the last pelt I need for satchels and none of the areas I've seen online yield anything. :argh:

Riding around Lemoyne in the Rhodes/Braithwaithe/Caliga area is probably your best bet.

They can be a little hard to spot.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Randomly stumbled on charles chattenays abandoned wagon with a lootbox with gold nuggest and some drawings you cant grab. Its all the way over by lake owanjila. Did he mention getting ambushed i dont remember?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Found a cabin with an old lady in it who told me go in the basement and drop off the supplies she mistakenly thought I had. She had a lockbox with a Semi-Auto shotgun in it. I stole it and started to leave and she recognized that I wasn't the delivery man, so the crabby ol' bitch gets up and says she's going to get her sons to put me in my place.

When you draw your gun on her to stop, she basically tells you to go gently caress yourself and she's not scared. Tough old bird. I didn't want to shoot her or her sons, so I tried to knock her out with a punch. Not only does she not get knocked out, but she gets up and asks if that's all you got and continues to walk off. Another couple punches and she finally goes down.

Probably one of my Arthur's darkest lowest moments, but hey, free awesome shotgun.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YavWaB3nh8

Edit: Just ran into my first klan meeting. For a bunch of guys who wanna burn a cross they sure don't like molotovs all over em. And I like that the note you can loot from them says look into less flammable robes.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 4, 2018

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

super macho dude posted:

Found a cabin with an old lady in it who told me go in the basement and drop off the supplies she mistakenly thought I had. She had a lockbox with a Semi-Auto shotgun in it. I stole it and started to leave and she recognized that I wasn't the delivery man, so the crabby ol' bitch gets up and says she's going to get her sons to put me in my place.

When you draw your gun on her to stop, she basically tells you to go gently caress yourself and she's not scared. Tough old bird. I didn't want to shoot her or her sons, so I tried to knock her out with a punch. Not only does she not get knocked out, but she gets up and asks if that's all you got and continues to walk off. Another couple punches and she finally goes down.

Probably one of my Arthur's darkest lowest moments, but hey, free awesome shotgun.

If you go back her sons are waiting for you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

It's really easy to accidentally shoot people.

or bump into them

shortspecialbus posted:

The only thing that's still bugging me about bounties at this point is like if the Lemoyne Raiders or any other gangs start shooting at you in St. Denis, you can't even think about fighting back unless you want to fight an entire metropolis of police and have a $1k bounty when you're done. That happens if you stop the attempted rape too. It doesn't happen if you stop an attempted murder though, and I beat up the (super minor spoiler about a specific non-mission character in St. Denis) eugenics guy without any sort of bounty either.

But the game not having any concept of self defense sucks. I yell at some Lemoyne Raiders in St. Denis for (random event spoiler) throwing bombs into a federal building, all four start shooting at me while the police watch, and then if I shoot back the entire city comes down on me to help the Lemoyne Raiders kill me. That aspect really needs to be changed.

Most of the rest of my bounty complaints vanished once I realized that if you just ran/rode away from the area that something happened, you probably wouldn't even get a bounty even if you weren't wearing the mask.

The lawmen won't do anything regardless of what npcs do. It's really stupid.

I really miss npcs randomly getting into fights with each other or the police in gta4/5.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Just realized I have a bunch of experience potions or some poo poo, so I chug them all at once.

I made it about 10 feet before collapsing blackout drunk and waking up the next day in a muddy swamp

Qubee
May 31, 2013

escalator dropdown posted:

While wandering in and around that forest trying to get the legendary buck to spawn, I’ve killed 2 bears, 2 cougars, 3-4 rattlesnakes, several wolf packs, an O’Driscoll camp, and untold numbers of boar and other prey. I’ve saved a man from his own bear trap, ran into the sharpshooter dude again, and sat with a drunk who gave me some stories. I’ve camped until morning/noon/dusk/night. I’ve saved-and-loaded. I’ve come in from the east, west, south, and north. I’ve come in on foot and on horse.

At this point, I’m pretty sure I’d have to raze a few square miles to ashes before the legendary buck would deign to show its face.

you won't find a legendary unless the popup shows that says "you've entered legendary territory", this means it has spawned and is available to track. I've got to legendary spots and not had this popup, and I have had the same exact experience as you. but when I go to a legendary spot and this pops up, I usually find the legendary really easily. so I usually gently caress off and go do something else for a few days, then go back to see if the thing pops up.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I laughed out loud at the conclusion of the Chapter 3 Rhodes stranger quest to help that guy reclaim his lost heirlooms only to discover he was a slaveholder. When I decided to drag him behind my horse until he died the game gave me honor for it:patriot:

Tied him up and used him as live gator bait for a three star American Gator. The gator had a nice dinner and I got a skull for my camp out of it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah as far as I can tell legendaries are not just wandering around the world. You'll get the popup, the first clue will appear within walking distance, after ~2 more clues it will suddenly appear nearby and you kill it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im actually kinda excited for rd online. Id like to roleplay outlaws with goons

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I wonder if theyll do the reverse of gta online and make it so you can have Franklin, Trevor, or Michael as parents

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hihohe posted:

I wonder if theyll do the reverse of gta online and make it so you can have Franklin, Trevor, or Michael as parents

Oh lordy I hope they do not do that again. Just skip that nonsense and let me make the character normally.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh lordy I hope they do not do that again. Just skip that nonsense and let me make the character normally.

I know on the computer version they had the two parents slider as a base and then you had a lot of free range to sculpt the face as much you wanted. It was pretty good. Was that on consoles too?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I swear everytime I take a bath in Valentine, some shitbird bumps into me when I leave the hotel and wants to fist fight, so i get mud all over me.

Also, lol at the drunk guy who wants to duel you when you walk into the saloon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hihohe posted:

I know on the computer version they had the two parents slider as a base and then you had a lot of free range to sculpt the face as much you wanted. It was pretty good. Was that on consoles too?

If they do make us endure this poo poo again I hope they have some better options than Cliff Yablonski's House of Mutants to choose from as parents.