Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's a really neat job he does in the end, though I'm surprised it's economically viable over sourcing some un-hosed-with hubs from elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

InitialDave posted:

It's a really neat job he does in the end, though I'm surprised it's economically viable over sourcing some un-hosed-with hubs from elsewhere.

Apparently that was his recommendation to the customer. Customer says he can't find replacements.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Why would they not have a machinist make new parts from virgin stock? :psyduck:

e: I hope they take it to a different machinist to refurbish in a few years and I wish I could see the look on their face.

It's a classic car that will only be in car shows and the customer wanted them repaired, not replaced.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

It's a classic car that will only be in car shows and the customer wanted them repaired, not replaced.

I guess we know where the car show circuit guys land on the Ship of Theseus problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When he talks about how the weld pool hardens the ductile iron -- is that something you could fix by annealing the hub properly in a kiln?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Wouldn't that be a lot easier to remove with a metal disintegration machine? I guess that method isn't too well known and doesn't make money for that machinist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbeKxFBZrF8

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I had no idea that was a thing.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Humbug posted:

Wouldn't that be a lot easier to remove with a metal disintegration machine? I guess that method isn't too well known and doesn't make money for that machinist.

I think those had other issues, busted threads or something. Only few of the holes had junk in them and he redoes all of them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:thunk:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Humbug posted:

I still forget I work in a machining candyland. We have like five tap burners at my shop. It's odd to see this guy have a weird rear end modified drill press for something you can buy off the shelf.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

What are we looking at here?

Besides a fuse panel?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fuse panel is floating around behind the dash, making fuses in accessible and/or hard to plug in (because pushing it is just gonna shove the panel deeper into the void).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is that all? Multipla fuseboxes have all the optional crap i.e. Electric windows, AC etc clipped to the side of the main fuse mess. They vibrate off and float around without any identification.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

wesleywillis posted:

Besides a fuse panel?

Fuses inaccessible behind plastic.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I swear that poo poo is SOP on most modern cars.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
If you've ever wondered what a 270+ car iron ore train looks like when the driver gets out to check something, 'forgets the park brake on' and it runs away at 100kph for 80km and has to be remotely derailed before hitting a loader/wharf (seriously sounds straight out of a movie):

Video of the wreck

I used quotes because the train was officially a normal one yet carrying only one driver for some reason, but this line is a prototype for driverless, and the new driverless tech was officially not at all involved or responsible, pinky swear, according to the operator

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wesleywillis posted:

Besides a fuse panel?

See how there are fuses around the edge of the box?

Those can’t be taken out unless the dash is taken apart. There isn’t enough clearance to pull them out of their sockets.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pHepfgw9lk

the horrible mechanical failure was in the past.

Stay for what he finds in the old stud holes.

in his words "A Bouquet of Bullshit"

Wood turning a positive, casting wax disposable patterns, and then completely fresh hubs seems like it'd be less work. I hope that the pebble beach chap paid what the job was actually worth.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Those can’t be taken out unless the dash is taken apart. There isn’t enough clearance to pull them out of their sockets.

I'd probably cut out the plastic surround. It wouldn't be visible with the door closed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

Something, something Gaelic Shrug.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

fist4jesus posted:

I'd probably cut out the plastic surround. It wouldn't be visible with the door closed.

That's what I would do. It does make me wonder with what attention to detail *other* parts of the car are designed with, though.

spog posted:

Something, something Gaelic Shrug.

Gaelic or Gallic?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Garlic. Keeps the vampire draw away.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darchangel posted:

Gaelic or Gallic?

Spellcheck said it was fine :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spog posted:

Spellcheck said it was fine :colbert:

Oh, it's spelled right, but... Irish or French?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6B3uvhrcQk

Wear yer safety squints, eh? You faks.

This is mostly an excuse to post period table of videos. worth a few hours of your time if you haven't seen it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6B3uvhrcQk

Wear yer safety squints, eh? You faks.

This is mostly an excuse to post period table of videos. worth a few hours of your time if you haven't seen it.
:emptyquote:

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Sagebrush posted:

When he talks about how the weld pool hardens the ductile iron -- is that something you could fix by annealing the hub properly in a kiln?
Ductile iron is ductile because the graphite particles in it are spherical instead of crack-initiating flake shapes. And the graphite is spherical because during casting the liquid metal was seeded with a mix of things like magnesium and cerium, half of which burned off when pouring and the rest probably went up when the welding torch hit it. You can do some heat treatment to improve things but it's more complicated and less helpful than in steel, and the real magic smoke is gone.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My mom's car sprouted this thing.

Apparently a napa dude did it because the terminal was loose. I'd say replace the thing, but she considers it fixed and it's going to be that way forever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Javid posted:

My mom's car sprouted this thing.

Apparently a napa dude did it because the terminal was loose. I'd say replace the thing, but she considers it fixed and it's going to be that way forever.

I did that with half a popsicle stick for several years in my Mazda back when I was an early twentysomething. At least the NAPA guy used something conductive.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Just zip a drywall screw in between the terminal and clamp :cheers:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Nick Soapdash... yes, it's French...

Brolander fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 9, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No soap radio.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I once hammered a negative battery terminal onto a positive post because I bought the wrong one and was too lazy to return it

If it works, it works

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Door Frame posted:

I once hammered a negative battery terminal onto a positive post because I bought the wrong one and was too lazy to return it

If it works, it works

Ahh it’s made of lead anyway it’s meant to deform right???

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I didn't even know positive and negative terminals were different sizes until i was like, 25, because i had never tried to gently caress something up that bad.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

I didn't even know positive and negative terminals were different sizes until i was like, 25, because i had never tried to gently caress something up that bad.

Actually I didn’t know either until last month, so 34. I was extra confused since I even bought red and black cables and it still didn’t go on smoothly.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I wasn't going to let my own ineptitude get in the way of me wiring up my wicked sound system

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

I worked on cars electrical systems for a couple of years about 15 years ago and have been a car guy my entire adult life, and I just learned this today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I too just learned this today!