Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man I really want a new castlevania game now. I know they're releasing a rondo/sotn combo so I might just start there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kingtheninja posted:

Man I really want a new castlevania game now. I know they're releasing a rondo/sotn combo so I might just start there.

I hear it's a bad port of a buggy port. Or the other way around.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kingtheninja posted:

There's also the upcoming Castlevania-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off Bloodstained Ritual of the Night by IGA (who produced the post Symphony of the Night games), and retrostyle Classicvania-esque Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dracula is extremely tall, the Belmonts have always had to jump to tap his noggin with the alchemists whip.

Lurdiak posted:

I hear it's a bad port of a buggy port. Or the other way around.

Its not bad per se, just absurdly lazy to the point where its a port of a psp version and lost features the psp version had. It also uses the new voice acting and script but the trophies directly reference the orginal, and to many superior, dub.

If you own/have access to a 360 or a Bone SotN with original dub is available on that, along with all 3 bad and never to be mentioned again and parallel canon Lords of Shadow games.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's also the upcoming Castlevania-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off Bloodstained Ritual of the Night by IGA (who produced the post Symphony of the Night games), and retrostyle Classicvania-esque Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.
The latter's gameplay looks closer to retro Ninja Gaiden than retro Castlevania, though granted they were fairly similar.

Barudak posted:

If you own/have access to a 360 or a Bone SotN with original dub is available on that, along with all 3 bad and never to be mentioned again and parallel canon Lords of Shadow games.
Um excuse me but Mirror of Fate rules.

Can't say much about LoS2, but LoS1 got way better as it went on, especially the Zdzislaw Beksinski-inspired levels.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah LoS was decent, really wore it's Del Toro inspiration on it's sleeve. LoS 2 was alright but didn't have nearly the artistic vision behind it.

Edit: and apparently all three for pc are currently available on Green Man Gaming for $3 ina three pack.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 2, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Barudak posted:

Its not bad per se, just absurdly lazy to the point where its a port of a psp version and lost features the psp version had. It also uses the new voice acting and script but the trophies directly reference the orginal, and to many superior, dub.

It's about all your going to get if you don't, or don't want to pay 90bux for a physical copy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I love Bloody Tears, but that's Simon's song from Castlevania 2, dammit (even if he steals Trevor's in Castlevania 4's remake of 1).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm pretty sure Simon's song is Simon's theme. Call it a hunch.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty sure Simon's song is Simon's theme. Call it a hunch.

I love Simon's theme, but that isn't as iconic - and Castlevania 3 has its own theme.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean at this point Bloody Tears is the theme of Castlevania in general.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah LoS was decent, really wore it's Del Toro inspiration on it's sleeve. LoS 2 was alright but didn't have nearly the artistic vision behind it.

Edit: and apparently all three for pc are currently available on Green Man Gaming for $3 ina three pack.

LoS is decent, features Patrick Stewart reading unbelievable amounts of garbage mixed with poorly concieved combat, beautiful and varied scenery, and a plot that so obviously botches the conclusion it was going for that the games own DLC is basically a retcon to the ending to what it should have been.

LoS: Mirror of Fate maybe be the singular worst Metroidvania ever released that costs money. From terrible level design, complicated but pointless combat, a simultaneously absent yet hamfisted story, and being more like Metroid than Castlevania this game packs it all.

LoS2 is a very not good game. Examples: any randomguy with a rocket launcher is more powerful than Dracula, the last Belmont just decides to die for no gain or narrative reason, and there is an insta-fail stealth sequence that starts immediatelly following a cutscene where the guy youre stealthing stares at you and addresses you as he knows you are there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean at this point Bloody Tears is the theme of Castlevania in general.

No, that's Vampire Killer.

I am beginning to think you guys don't know your Castlevanias.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i tried playing lords of shadow 1 for the first time a couple nights ago and BOY let me tell you that video games have come a long way in the past decade

(it's not a good game)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

i tried playing lords of shadow 1 for the first time a couple nights ago and BOY let me tell you that video games have come a long way in the past decade

(it's not a good game)

Its got really good scenery though.

And god help you if youre calling it bad and have yet to reach the Shadow of the Colossus rip off fights

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Barudak posted:

Its got really good scenery though.

And god help you if youre calling it bad and have yet to reach the Shadow of the Colossus rip off fights

shadow of the colossus is where i quit lmao

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Camilla going :byodame: "What. The gently caress. Is going on?!" [spoiler] while Dracula's castle is getting glitched and cartridge tilted all over town, causing tidal waves of holy water to fry dozens of vampires [spoiler] was great. Another neat detail was how the castle disappears, air rushes in to occupy the vacuum suddenly present.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
LOS 2 features Dracula having a chant-off with a priest and causing a godnuke that’s shown from space, shortly after fighting a mechachurch.

So there’s that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There's weirder poo poo in the Metal Gear series, tbh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sticklefifer posted:

There's weirder poo poo in the Metal Gear series, tbh.

I'm now imagining a MGS series on this level of quality.

This is pretty drat clever
https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/season-2-of-castlevania-just-season-1-upside-down/

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 4, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Trevor sucks at barricading a door lol.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lurdiak posted:

No, that's Vampire Killer.

I am beginning to think you guys don't know your Castlevanias.

Bloody Tears is more iconic and immediately recognisable.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I'm so glad they put some actual Castlevania music into the series - it's the one thing that's been lacking - like, don't get me wrong, the original music they have is fitting, but in a series known for its music it's suprising they held off for so long.

The first few bars of Bloody Tears kicking in made me smile like a loon. "Hey that almost sounds like Bloody Te- OH YEAH!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Bloody Tears is more iconic and immediately recognisable.

It's a better track, but I dunno that it's more iconic.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm watching this without having played any Castlevania games ever and it's interesting trying to parse out what's a reference to Castlevania gameplay tropes and what's just Warren Ellis being Warren Ellis. I imagine most of the swearing is Warren Ellis being Warren Ellis.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

I'm watching this without having played any Castlevania games ever and it's interesting trying to parse out what's a reference to Castlevania gameplay tropes and what's just Warren Ellis being Warren Ellis. I imagine most of the swearing is Warren Ellis being Warren Ellis.

That, the first seasons focus on god and religion, and the dick-focused violence. Go play some of the games or watch an LP, lotta deep cuts abound in this series you will enjoy if you have like the aforementioned update above about the song used in Episode 7s showdown.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I literally have only finished 1 and got stuck in 2 when you have to kneel down with the gem and find the hidden staircase, I couldn't figure that out.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Lurdiak posted:

It's a better track, but I dunno that it's more iconic.

I could see a younger generation considering it more iconic but for me it's definitely Vampire Killer. Bloody Tears occupies the same space for me as Wicked Child.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

I could see a younger generation considering it more iconic but for me it's definitely Vampire Killer. Bloody Tears occupies the same space for me as Wicked Child.

Yeah, Vampire Killer is like the mario bros theme song. Only a couple notes in and I can already see the whip in my mind.

twistedmentat posted:

I literally have only finished 1 and got stuck in 2 when you have to kneel down with the gem and find the hidden staircase, I couldn't figure that out.

2 is not a very good game.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The best usage of Vampire Killer was in Contra: Hardcorps. I'd argue that Bloody Tears is much more popular, but there's no real way to quantify it.

I was just joking that Begining rarely ever gets any love, even in the anime about that game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

2 is not a very good game.

Yea, I got that from the AVGN videos and other stuff. Sadly, its why I never played 3, because I remember 2 being so crummy and confusing I never played another one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'd say Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears are about equal in how iconic they are. They're both pretty much "the Castlevania theme."

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I got that from the AVGN videos and other stuff. Sadly, its why I never played 3, because I remember 2 being so crummy and confusing I never played another one.

That's a shame cause 3 was balls to wall action and great gameplay. I remember hanging out and watching people play 2 so I correctly skipped it and only played 1 and 3 on the NES.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is Sypha the wizard character from 3?i remember you could swap between different characters, like a stabby Hunchback that could climb walls, a wizard, and Alucard I believe.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Panfilo posted:

Is Sypha the wizard character from 3?i remember you could swap between different characters, like a stabby Hunchback that could climb walls, a wizard, and Alucard I believe.

yeah, her, alucard, and the pirate

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hmm didn't see him in the cartoon, maybe he's in season 3?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Season 3 is likely to be covering Curse of Darkness, which Grant Da Nasty is not in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Azhais posted:

yeah, her, alucard, and the pirate

He was actually a thief not a Pirate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Season 3 is likely to be covering Curse of Darkness, which Grant Da Nasty is not in.

Oh I'm sure they can squeeze him in. It's not like Trevor was a drunken sarcastic doofus in any of the games either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'd say Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears are about equal in how iconic they are. They're both pretty much "the Castlevania theme."

I feel like Bloody Tears has a more prominent role in the games made after CV4 since it's easier to arrange for modern instruments in a way that sounds good, while Vampire Killer is relegated to more of a cameo role in games like Lords of Shadow in the music box. I'd definitely give the advantage to Bloody Tears over Vampire Killer (mostly because it's a way better song) but it's not that important of a competition I guess.

Anyway this is where I can see them going from here:

Season 3: Focus on Curse of Darkness for obvious reasons. I can see them doing the Lords of Shadow thing of making Simon the child of Trevor and Sypha at the end. The lovely 3DS game opens with Dracula murdering Simon's parents, giving him a reason to give a poo poo about Dracula beyond the Belmont legacy - he's raised by barbarians and becomes a huge beefcake of a dude. Follow up on Alucard and have him go to sleep by the end.

Season 4: Maybe combine CV 1 and 2, since you need characters other than Simon around. CV 2 has Carmilla in it also. Introduce Death, Medusa, Frankenstein's monster, all the classic bosses. Alternatively bring in Alucard here if you want more of a buddy dynamic.

Season 5: Rondo/SOTN, with SOTN taking the more prominent role and Rondo being the backstory in the first few episodes with Shaft as the villain.

After that the next logical step is Aria et al, but who knows if we'll even get anything beyond season 3. In a best case scenario I would be fine with stopping with SOTN, since, while the following games themselves are good, they do become very preoccupied with anime bullshit.