Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kirios posted:

Sorry you guys are gonna boycott Smash over this!

I'm loving furious and smashing the cancel preorder button hundreds of thousands of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

This will later be know in the history books as Nintendo's Last Stand.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm playing through dark souls for the first time and I am enjoying it quite a bit, but I need to ask: do later games clean up some of the jank? The camera is loving atrocious and has caused my death several times, terrain geometry is poorly communicated, the enemy ai is...something else...

Like I said, I'm enjoying it, it's just a lot rougher around the edges than I expected from years of hearing how great it is

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not gonna cancel my preorder over it because I am 100% confident Nintendo is going to change it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I weirdly want to play bordlerlands 2 on switch, with motion aiming while we're at it. Especially since the Vita version was almost but not quite playable.

That would be a neat way to burn 100 hours

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hand Row posted:

I enjoy the someone should have noticed and changed it comments. As if some schlub from the NA office can just ring up the dev team and order the change.

Localization isn't just translating written text; they examine all of the content in the game and identify ANYTHING that ought to be tweaked for the target region. Treehouse's literal job is to work directly with the devs and figure out appropriate changes, for everything from low-stakes stuff like "Americans won't recognize this food, could you draw a burger instead for the NA version?" to really hosed up stuff like "Uh hey, you made this character animation a racial caricature, could you not?".

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
This is the biggest and worst controversy ever for Nintendo. If they don't make this change I am going to set my Switch on fire and sell of my Nintendo stock. Even if they make the change I don't think I can support a company that produces such a severely abhorrent racist caricature.

Nintendo is done for mark my words

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I've turned into a puddle of anger and piss over this

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Well that's woomy as all hell and they should have kept it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
They should turn game and watch's forward grab into the hump from Custer's Revenge

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm so outraged I've actually gone all the way around and am now calm about it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm playing through dark souls for the first time and I am enjoying it quite a bit, but I need to ask: do later games clean up some of the jank? The camera is loving atrocious and has caused my death several times, terrain geometry is poorly communicated, the enemy ai is...something else...

Like I said, I'm enjoying it, it's just a lot rougher around the edges than I expected from years of hearing how great it is

There is some jank in the game, yea. But TBH it's never bothered me because the majority of the game is the best game and I don't notice it. The camera can get weird especially in tight areas. What have you noticed about enemy AI? It's never done anything to make me question it. Feels like a video game to me. I'm not arguing with you if it's an issue or not I'm just curious.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Kinda. You mainly get used to it after a while and learn how to mitigate the camera problems by not relying on lock-on in areas where it causes camera problems.

I've found the AI to be pretty consistent though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

No.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Not really. The later games have the same “problems”, you just get used it and start learning what From does.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DS2 and 3 let you go human wherever you want which is a massive improvement.

2 also has bonfire ascetics and is the best don't @ me

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Every followup in the series solves some jank and introduces different kinds. In 2 the big one is that if your adaptability is low the game feels like unfair garbage because it affects so much quality of life around common actions, while the big one in 3 is that they kept poise as a stat even after changing it to more of a conditional superarmor thing attached to stuff like weapon arts, so there's a vestigal stat sticking around doing nothing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The AI (and enemies in general) are somewhat more aggressive in DS2 and way more aggressive in DS3. There’s a natural progression to it that never feels overwhelming and really rewards you by playing it fast and loose. Camera remains unchanged and you learn to deal with it. The map design is generally simpler / streamlined which avoid some of the geometry pitfalls at the expense of a less cohesive world.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

CYBEReris posted:

Every followup in the series solves some jank and introduces different kinds. In 2 the big one is that if your adaptability is low the game feels like unfair garbage because it affects so much quality of life around common actions, while the big one in 3 is that they kept poise as a stat even after changing it to more of a conditional superarmor thing attached to stuff like weapon arts, so there's a vestigal stat sticking around doing nothing.

The poise thing is extra :lol: because if you change a value in an .ini file on the PC version, it enables it and it acts just like it did in earlier games. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you don't want a VAC ban, however.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ignite Memories posted:

That's no loincloth :eyepop:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

There is some jank in the game, yea. But TBH it's never bothered me because the majority of the game is the best game and I don't notice it. The camera can get weird especially in tight areas. What have you noticed about enemy AI? It's never done anything to make me question it. Feels like a video game to me. I'm not arguing with you if it's an issue or not I'm just curious.

The ai issues I've seen are generally silly stuff, like getting caught up on the geometry, or climbing a few rungs on a ladder only to start climbing down, then up then down a couple times until finally deciding to climb to the top. Weird stuff like that. It's all the more noticable when I get killed over and over and go through the same enemies repeatedly; their behavioral inconsistencies start to stand out.

I went through a big hollow tree last night and the camera would suddenly shift to the side as I walked along a narrow branch. Suddenly pressing up on the stick meant a sharp turn to the right = splat. I lost my vast fortune of 20k souls that way :mad:

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Finally, now add netflix and itll be super easy to justify getting a new switch for the bedroom

fixt

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The ai issues I've seen are generally silly stuff, like getting caught up on the geometry, or climbing a few rungs on a ladder only to start climbing down, then up then down a couple times until finally deciding to climb to the top. Weird stuff like that. It's all the more noticable when I get killed over and over and go through the same enemies repeatedly; their behavioral inconsistencies start to stand out.

I went through a big hollow tree last night and the camera would suddenly shift to the side as I walked along a narrow branch. Suddenly pressing up on the stick meant a sharp turn to the right = splat. I lost my vast fortune of 20k souls that way :mad:

there's an option somewhere in the settings that allows the camera to attempt automatic corrections when walls are around. it's set to on by default and i turned it off as soon as i noticed

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
That's definitely a fruit bowl and not a loincloth.

Nintendo Switch: If you buy Smash ur a racist

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
feigning outrage to downplay an instance of racism is definitely really cool and not at all douchey as heck

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/buffalotender/status/1058572894836424704?s=19

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

asecondduck posted:

To me, and probably others, that's what it feels like though. I'm not at all familiar with G&W history so to me, torch G&W was just, well, G&W with a torch. Before today I didn't even know that there were Native American stereotypes in any G&W games, and I would have rather kept it that way.

G&W with a torch was always referencing this game (although I didn't know it). The change is that all of G&W's moves now transform him into more like he looked in the game it's from, so this isn't like one move they specifically did to be racist. Still should have had more thought go into it.

It seems like a lot of people are mad about the original game though, and not the new sprite itself. (The new sprite is what drew attention to the original game.) Would removing the feather be enough now or does the whole torch move need to be replaced by something else?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A lot of folks falling over themselves to be real edgy here. The animation is bad, and it will probably be removed as soon as logistically possible because Nintendo has certainly removed lesser things from games.

Modus Pwnens posted:

G&W with a torch was always referencing this game (although I didn't know it). The change is that all of G&W's moves now transform him into more like he looked in the game it's from, so this isn't like one move they specifically did to be racist. Still should have had more thought go into it.

It seems like a lot of people are mad about the original game though, and not the new sprite itself. (The new sprite is what drew attention to the original game.) Would removing the feather be enough now or does the whole torch move need to be replaced by something else?

There was a re-release version for the GBA where they just took the feathers off to make the attackers into generic angry guys, and that would do the trick just fine.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Someone on Reddit cut the smash footage over the Infinity War trailer and it was amazing. They also did it like 5 hours after the Direct

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9tcbgp/super_smash_bros_infinity_war/

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Xeras posted:

Yeah. A rotting abandoned animal.

Abandoned in all senses except actually abandoned. Still getting new seasons, new sets, new enemies, it's a lot of fun.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

There was a re-release version for the GBA where they just took the feathers off to make the attackers into generic angry guys, and that would do the trick just fine.

Yeah that was my reaction but I wouldn't have noticed the change without being told so I wasn't sure.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
D3 plays real nice on switch handheld, but man the battery life drain is real. Is it worse than other AAA games? Honestly 90% of my play time on this device has been Binding of Isaac so maybe I'm just spoiled on battery life.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

I've played almost nothing but Dark Souls for the past couple weeks and I don't feel like I'm anywhere near done with it. I beat the game on Halloween, which felt pretty cool, and I'm loving new game+ since I can actually use all these giant crazy weapons without fatrolling. Right now I'm naked save for havel's shield, helm, and his dragon tooth, which does so much damage that ng+ is actually feeling kind of trivial. Eventually I want to wear the full set but it looks like I need an insane amount of endurance if I still want to dodge.

The only part of the game that really disappointed me was Lost Izalith, land of a thousand dragon asses. People aren't kidding when they say the game feels unfinished in parts. But other than that I loved just about everything. It never felt like I died because of stupid bullshit (unless it was my own stupid bullshit) and the world feels great when you're exploring everything for the first time. I thought that it might get a bit boring without the exploration, finding new shortcuts metroidvania-style, running into crazy new enemies you're not sure you can deal with yet, but so far it's still just really fun.

I'm playing a big fat strength and endurance guy right now, and after this I'm rolling a dex character, then a mage, paladin, etc, but I don't think that will quench my thirst for more souls. I might have to get a PS4 just for bloodborne and the other souls games.

Also I'm glad this exists, because it's the first thing I searched for after fighting the gravelord.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nito is my friend

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

D3 plays real nice on switch handheld, but man the battery life drain is real. Is it worse than other AAA games? Honestly 90% of my play time on this device has been Binding of Isaac so maybe I'm just spoiled on battery life.

Especially in online or season play it just MELTS the battery life away.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

C.M. Kruger posted:

Quick question, when the Switch I ordered finally shows up in the mail, can I just go ahead and put in the larger memory card I got for it, or will I need to set everything up and then copy the card contents to the new one?
The Switch doesn't come with an SD card, so you can just put in the one you got and go.

I would recommend putting your SD card in first, before downloading/playing any games. For one, if it's a SDXC card it will have to download a system update. But also, when you download games/updates/DLC it's preferentially stored to the SD card before on-board memory, which leaves space available for game saves and system updates. If you download games/updates/DLC before inserting a SD card, then those games take up on-board memory and you could run out later.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nito is my friend

i couldn't find the comic i was looking for but i found this loving absolute gem

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Are people really posting ancient Dark Souls memes? Well have the best one then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGov43YQvbo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lodin posted:

Are people really posting ancient Dark Souls memes? Well have the best one then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGov43YQvbo

The only bad thing about the Switch version is not having access to this mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you are being edgy about the G&W thing you are really stupid and lame