Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Jfc, would it kill Paradox to just have a command going "hey please kill this stack with this army and don't have me have to loving micro it across half the loving continent of Africa"

I've taken to just attaching armies to my vassals and having them take care of all this poo poo, but I stupidly left them on scutage assuming that my fort blocked off the horn (it did not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Jfc, would it kill Paradox to just have a command going "hey please kill this stack with this army and don't have me have to loving micro it across half the loving continent of Africa"

I've taken to just attaching armies to my vassals and having them take care of all this poo poo, but I stupidly left them on scutage assuming that my fort blocked off the horn (it did not)
Sounds like you want the game to play itself for you, scrub! :smuggo:

I agree with you completely

Senor Dog posted:

Sorted on manpower and was quite surprised to see Lan Na doing so well!
I....I have many questions.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

every man in lan na fights like a thousand!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

HoI4 has a system like this, where you define one or more fronts and then rough areas of territory to try and claim, and your armies will station at the front and then move forward based on aggression settings. Similarly, you can assign armies to guard an area and they'll auto-split/stack to cover the key defensive points there. It's not perfect but it's way less fiddly than EU4's stuff.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sounds like you want the game to play itself for you, scrub! :smuggo:

I agree with you completely
Uh yeah I do: hell, I'd often delay turning from tribal when I was in CK2 because it was so much more convenient to just call in vassals as allies.

Roadie posted:

HoI4 has a system like this, where you define one or more fronts and then rough areas of territory to try and claim, and your armies will station at the front and then move forward based on aggression settings. Similarly, you can assign armies to guard an area and they'll auto-split/stack to cover the key defensive points there. It's not perfect but it's way less fiddly than EU4's stuff.
Yeah, I've seen it and just a random sorta thing like they have for rebels "Guard this part", "Hunt Down stacks in allied lands" or hell, that you can issue to vassals would be hella useful.

Also, for some reason, an event popped up allowing me to support Dutch independence and I thought "why the hell not, they already have France and the Ottamans as allies and maybe I can grab some Spanish Latin America" but I haven't been called into the war at all? And for some reason I cant offer to enter the war? What gives?

edit: oh yeah and teh advice for capping at Zanzibar is now outdated; changed it to the Cape and holy moly them buckets of ducats

double edit: I finally have a Spice Islands competitor. It's the loving Ottomans :psyduck:

No Idea what the hell I'm going to do about them because they've allied both France and Russia and uhhhhhhhh, that's an unholy alliance if ever I saw one

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 4, 2018

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Never tried playing as the Mamluks until now and it turned out to be surprisingly easy to destroy the Ottomans. Diplo-vassalized most of the beyliks and Arabian minors to make my own little swarm (they are small and suck individually but every little bit helps), guaranteed and allied Byzantium to deter the Ottos from attacking them early, fabricated on the Ottos and built up for conquest, struck at a suitable moment. Took several wars to destroy them completely but it was a foregone conclusion after the first war where I cut their Anatolian territory in half and took Edirne. After the second war, Serbia and Wallachia also started eating at the Otto provinces on their side of the straits and that was basically that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Decided to try a game in Asia which I haven't done since the whole tributary mechanic came about.

Started out in Japan and after a couple of decades in the thunderdome I was the only vassal left. That meant that when I declared the war for the shogunate and won, I became independent and the former emperor became independent. Not sure that is how it is supposed to work, but whatever. Waited out the truce and conquered the rest so I could form Japan.
Started colonising and since I've colonised Taiwan, Ming comes knocking every so often but my fleet is bigger and I have the ship stealing doctrine so it keeps growing. Not sure how I'll go about actually conquering land since their army is huge but at least I can punch a lot of money out of them every time they declare a war.
Meanwhile I'm happily colonising around the Philippines and that area.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

MrBling posted:

Decided to try a game in Asia which I haven't done since the whole tributary mechanic came about.

Started out in Japan and after a couple of decades in the thunderdome I was the only vassal left. That meant that when I declared the war for the shogunate and won, I became independent and the former emperor became independent. Not sure that is how it is supposed to work, but whatever. Waited out the truce and conquered the rest so I could form Japan.
Started colonising and since I've colonised Taiwan, Ming comes knocking every so often but my fleet is bigger and I have the ship stealing doctrine so it keeps growing. Not sure how I'll go about actually conquering land since their army is huge but at least I can punch a lot of money out of them every time they declare a war.
Meanwhile I'm happily colonising around the Philippines and that area.
Forming Japan is a trap: the vassal storm that is the Shogunate is honestly way sweeter, especially once you manage to get them on the mainland

Remember to farm the Americas for tributaries (though I guess that's less effective nowadays?)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Forming Japan is a trap: the vassal storm that is the Shogunate is honestly way sweeter, especially once you manage to get them on the mainland

Remember to farm the Americas for tributaries (though I guess that's less effective nowadays?)

Turns out that between the extra 10% morale from Shinto, the 10% morale from Plutocratic, the 15% infantry combat ability from Japanese ambitions and the discipline from Offensive ideas I can pretty reliably stackwipe Ming.
I've started eating into Korea now and my two 30k stacks (18 inf, 2 cav, 10 artillery) when combined can wipe larger Ming stacks.

Ming declares on my like clockwork for one of the Taiwan provinces whenever the truce is up. All three times so far I've punched about 2500 gold and war reps out of them without even having to land any troops.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really think the AI ignores morale, discipline and combat ability buffs when considering army strength. Which is kinda funny.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

What causes your army to sometimes retreat one province away?

I know that if you're deep enough into enemy territory that can happen, but I've twice recently had it where I was one province in, lost a battle and retreated one province deeper into enemy territory and got wiped.

As far as I know, this only happens when your army is blocked by enemy forts. If you siege down a fort, and then the enemy retakes it, you won't be able to shattered retreat past it. If you land an army via naval transports inside enemy fort ZOC and then occupy a province, the army will shattered retreat to one of those provinces instead of through any forts that are between your home territory and your army. (If you don't occupy any provinces and the transports are still available, I think the army retreats back to the transports)

Groke posted:

Never tried playing as the Mamluks until now and it turned out to be surprisingly easy to destroy the Ottomans.

Mamluks are really strong and I don't know why the AI is so bad that AI Mamluks always get steamrolled by AI Ottos. All the other starting great powers occasionally have a bad game, but Ottos destroy Mamluks like clockwork in every game I've seen. Someone posted a screenshot a few pages back of the Ottos getting dirt napped and I still don't really believe it's possible.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Family Values posted:

Mamluks are really strong and I don't know why the AI is so bad that AI Mamluks always get steamrolled by AI Ottos. All the other starting great powers occasionally have a bad game, but Ottos destroy Mamluks like clockwork in every game I've seen. Someone posted a screenshot a few pages back of the Ottos getting dirt napped and I still don't really believe it's possible.

First time I have seen it myself, but my current Mongolia game has a strong Mamluks at around 1570. They took all of the southern Anatolia minors and Ottos have expanded into Hungary. I imagine it is just a matter of time before they turn on the Mamluks. I ended up taking a break as I was attacked by Russia, Ming, and a coalition within a span of a few months. It looks like you only need three countries for a coalition now instead of four and guess I pushed too aggressively into India as I waited for Ming's mandate to tank.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

mobius42 posted:

First time I have seen it myself, but my current Mongolia game has a strong Mamluks at around 1570. They took all of the southern Anatolia minors and Ottos have expanded into Hungary. I imagine it is just a matter of time before they turn on the Mamluks. I ended up taking a break as I was attacked by Russia, Ming, and a coalition within a span of a few months. It looks like you only need three countries for a coalition now instead of four and guess I pushed too aggressively into India as I waited for Ming's mandate to tank.

You still need 4 countries viable to join for a coalition to form. If they are at war or something a country might not actually join but just them existing allows the other countries to form it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Mamluks have some drat rich lands and seem well placed to pull massive trade too. Once the Ottos were dealt with there seemed to be no credible opposition nearby.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This needs a new thread title

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Atreiden posted:

Raj against the machine

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Events are pretty weird sometimes. I managed to form Romania as Moldavia, mainly due to the Ottomans leaving me alone.

Why?

I had 5 "defecting officer" events from the Ottos in a few years, giving me a +250 relationship bonus, effectively disabling any hostile attitudes.
Since that border was secured, I was able to annex most of Hungary, Serbia, and so on, before making an opportunistic strike.

e: army professionalism is just a way to convert military points into manpower, right?

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 6, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's certainly different from Army Tradition and thus was something completely new.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nosfereefer posted:

e: army professionalism is just a way to convert military points into manpower, right?
That is what many people use it for. And cheaper generals, eventually. It also helps your dudes fight better.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you’re using it to directly convert MP into manpower that seems super inefficient to me. It’s 250 military points to hire 5 generals and get enough professionalism to get 2 years worth of manpower, but 250 is usually more military points than you’d make in 2 years unless you’re really stacked anyway. Granted you might get some nice generals out of it as well. For me it’s mostly a way to convert income and downtime, by drilling, into a reserve.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

skasion posted:

If you’re using it to directly convert MP into manpower that seems super inefficient to me. It’s 250 military points to hire 5 generals and get enough professionalism to get 2 years worth of manpower, but 250 is usually more military points than you’d make in 2 years unless you’re really stacked anyway. Granted you might get some nice generals out of it as well. For me it’s mostly a way to convert income and downtime, by drilling, into a reserve.

It can be a lifesaver during long wars.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There’s nothing wrong with using professionalism as a manpower farm, but if you’re frequently pumping MP into professionalism for the sole purpose of getting more manpower I think that should probably have been spent in some other way.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I keep trying to play small empires, but every single game ends when the ottomans take over the world. Is there any solution to them besides the human player going out of their way to kill them?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

skasion posted:

There’s nothing wrong with using professionalism as a manpower farm, but if you’re frequently pumping MP into professionalism for the sole purpose of getting more manpower I think that should probably have been spent in some other way.

Yeah, surplus Military MP usually goes to the cheapest underdeveloped province for more long term manpower (surplus, as in when there's literally nothing better to spend them on).
But when you're starting to win against the Ottomans, but your manpower pool is drained, and also you have like 1300 points to the next MILTECH, magicking up young men means the difference between a 20% peace and a 80%+ onee.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Chalks posted:

I keep trying to play small empires, but every single game ends when the ottomans take over the world. Is there any solution to them besides the human player going out of their way to kill them?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Once in a blue moon, when the stars are right, and the great powers beyond smile their blessings, Ottomans might gently caress up and get thrashed by the Mamluks and Hungarians. I have seen screenshots, but never experienced it myself.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chalks posted:

You can plop down 3-5 custom nations on top of them before starting the game. Possibly not the ideal solution you were looking for.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Nosfereefer posted:

Yeah, surplus Military MP usually goes to the cheapest underdeveloped province for more long term manpower (surplus, as in when there's literally nothing better to spend them on).
But when you're starting to win against the Ottomans, but your manpower pool is drained, and also you have like 1300 points to the next MILTECH, magicking up young men means the difference between a 20% peace and a 80%+ onee.

If you are big enough it's worth it to assign some province with lovely trade goods to the nobility estate and improve the manpower there, you get more bang for the buck. Now that they don't need minimum territory and influence is not a big factor I handle it that way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skasion posted:

You also get the bonuses from professionalism itself, which are all very good. Developing with mil points just gets you manpower. Professionalism is usually one of my top priorities for mil points, and development is the lowest.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Army professionalism gives you up to +20% siege ability which is super strong, especially late game.

If you have extra mil you should definitely be rolling generals not improving some terrible province

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
I think what should be kept in mind is that you can gain professionalism by event, typically in large chunks, and that these events often screw your manpower/income if you DON'T take the boost. To that end I'd say investing in manpower is important, especially since you'll lose all your Professionalism anyway if you have to buy a fuckton of mercs.

In conclusion Europa Universalis is a land of contrasts

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I'm doing a Prussia game and want to do something fun with it and am looking for ideas. The sillier the better. Thought about maybe becoming a theocracy?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

So I'm doing a Prussia game and want to do something fun with it and am looking for ideas. The sillier the better. Thought about maybe becoming a theocracy?
Try to reach China through the land route.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Try to reach China through the land route.

This, but then form Yuan.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I took all of Spain's provinces in Europe and they ended up in debt, so they sold a trade company in Africa. To Ainu. :laugh:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there a trick to buying up trade companies, or is paying >5000 ducats for each one pretty common?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Is there a trick to buying up trade companies, or is paying >5000 ducats for each one pretty common?

Improved relations, diplo rep, and trust help (i.e. diplo rep advisor, influence nation).

(Not enough to be worth it IMO unless you really need the foothold and don't have a colonist)

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Once in a blue moon, when the stars are right, and the great powers beyond smile their blessings, Ottomans might gently caress up and get thrashed by the Mamluks and Hungarians. I have seen screenshots, but never experienced it myself.

Then there's... there's the very strange times.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Blinks77 posted:

Then there's... there's the very strange times.

I don't see anything weird.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

cheesetriangles posted:

I don't see anything weird.

Spain didn't seem to colonize Africa. That's at least a bit odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Dirk the Average posted:

Spain didn't seem to colonize Africa. That's at least a bit odd.

Africa colonized the hell out of Portugal though.

Also looks like Castile integrated Naples but didn't take the Iberian Wedding? Unless they took it and somehow were not able to do the decision to merge the two countries by 1650. Also, what's that green country above Italy? It looks too dark to be Venice or Provence. I kind of dig the blob party in the middle east without the Ottos there to take it all.