Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
To be clear: Yadi probably didn’t deserve the GG this year but I’ll celebrate it anyway. It is, however, absolute bullshit that Bader wasn’t even a finalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1059467222786031616

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Moving the deadline back to mid August would be good imo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, I can see this getting approved, seeing as of late big names have been moving at the waiver deadline.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Moving the deadline back to mid August would be good imo

Yeah, I don't think making everything one deadline is necessarily bad, but they can't keep the same date if they do that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
When am I getting my Corbin?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

Honestly, I can see this getting approved, seeing as of late big names have been moving at the waiver deadline.

I think it'd be a change for the better, but OTOH labor relations are still testy and I wonder if the union will try to play hardball.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1059520152478208000

:hampants:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sydin posted:

I think it'd be a change for the better, but OTOH labor relations are still testy and I wonder if the union will try to play hardball.

lol

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The owners have the players in the palm of their hand, lately. They just have so many variables to play with that, when the players want anything, the owners have like 5 other things to bring up. They also successfully vilified the players over the last several work stoppages. Everything in baseball is "the players' fault" in the eyes of 90% of fans and the owners know it. Local beat writers owe their jobs to the teams and not the players and it shows.

I think the players should do everything they can to vilify the teams' roles in human trafficking, while they have the chance. The problem is that this may dovetail into immigration debates and, for gently caress's sake, that's going to open an enormous Pandora's box. You just don't know where that would lead.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 5, 2018

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's hard to bring up how lovely and exploitative baseball is when you ultimately have no plans to fight to fix it, as the MLBPA will most likely choose to (not) do

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The players don't even want stuff because they and their union leadership are stupid as hell. They are at the "trade the dental plan for a beer keg" level of negotiations.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

I was so disappointed that Bartolo was terrible with the Braves, but still I hope he pitches forever.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

It's hard to bring up how lovely and exploitative baseball is when you ultimately have no plans to fight to fix it, as the MLBPA will most likely choose to (not) do

The problem is that neither side has an incentive to "fix it". MLB isn't run like a corporation with lots of branch offices. The owners are supposed to tell the commissioner what to do and he's supposed to make it happen. The MLBPA exists solely to get more money into players' pockets.

MLB is basically a confederation of teams, not a single entity with a central mission. It feels like the NBA and NFL commissioners have, for some time now, had more power and more leadership trust vested in them than you see with MLB. It feel like Silver and Goodell are like the CEOs of their leagues. The MLB commissioner, even under Selig, was still just a facilitator. Maybe that's just because I don't follow the issues facing those sports very closely.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

OK guys, who's signing Bryce Harper and Manny Machado???

Looking at MLBTR's free agency predictions https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2019.html and they have Harper signing for $420 million and Manny getting $390M. :staredog: Not just breaking Giancarlo's record but obliterating it. So which teams would even consider a contract like that?

A lot of "small market" teams probably don't have much of a shot. I don't think anyone expects the Royals, A's, Rays, etc to make a serious offer. The Padres blew their wad on Eric Hosmer, lol. Cleveland and Arizona should be buyers but are looking to slash payroll instead. Etc.

There are quite a few teams with higher payrolls who don't make sense either. The Cubs and Red Sox have handed out some huge contracts lately; not sure they can take on another. The Brewers made a splash in free agency last year and now their outfield is full and they have a pretty good 3B too. Dodgers and Yankees both stayed out of the luxury tax in 2018 and reset the penalties, and have infinity dollars, but I don't think either has room for Manny or Bryce? Unless like LA trades Puig or Bellinger, or the Yanks trade Andujar, or something wacky like that?

So who's left? I count six contending clubs with money and a roster spot for one or both players: Astros, Angels, Nats, Braves, Phillies, and Cardinals. But rebuilding teams should be in on these guys too, they're both super young FAs and should be in their prime for many years. So I could see the Rangers or White Sox or Tigers making a serious offer, and I bet the Giants go hard for Harper. Or the Mets' new GM makes a splash to try and win over the fanbase?

It would be funny if Harper signed with the Braves or Phillies and terrorized the Nats for a decade so I'm rooting for that if the Giants don't get him. I can't think of a perfect fit for Machado... Rangers maybe, as a replacement for Beltre?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No way the Braves will pony up that kind of cash

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Padres blew their wad on Eric Hosmer, lol.

I stopped reading at this because I totally forgot about this deal and hahahahaha.

But, I don't think Manny/Harper are getting that much money. They are going to get short (~6 years) 200m+ deals that have all the opt outs in the world imo.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Looking at MLBTR's free agency predictions https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2019.html and they have Harper signing for $420 million and Manny getting $390M. :staredog: Not just breaking Giancarlo's record but obliterating it. So which teams would even consider a contract like that?

A lot of "small market" teams probably don't have much of a shot. I don't think anyone expects the Royals, A's, Rays, etc to make a serious offer. The Padres blew their wad on Eric Hosmer, lol. Cleveland and Arizona should be buyers but are looking to slash payroll instead. Etc.

There are quite a few teams with higher payrolls who don't make sense either. The Cubs and Red Sox have handed out some huge contracts lately; not sure they can take on another. The Brewers made a splash in free agency last year and now their outfield is full and they have a pretty good 3B too. Dodgers and Yankees both stayed out of the luxury tax in 2018 and reset the penalties, and have infinity dollars, but I don't think either has room for Manny or Bryce? Unless like LA trades Puig or Bellinger, or the Yanks trade Andujar, or something wacky like that?

So who's left? I count six contending clubs with money and a roster spot for one or both players: Astros, Angels, Nats, Braves, Phillies, and Cardinals. But rebuilding teams should be in on these guys too, they're both super young FAs and should be in their prime for many years. So I could see the Rangers or White Sox or Tigers making a serious offer, and I bet the Giants go hard for Harper. Or the Mets' new GM makes a splash to try and win over the fanbase?

It would be funny if Harper signed with the Braves or Phillies and terrorized the Nats for a decade so I'm rooting for that if the Giants don't get him. I can't think of a perfect fit for Machado... Rangers maybe, as a replacement for Beltre?

My best guesses for Harper:

Phillies - Hoskins in left and Harper in right... I think they're going to end up with Harper...
Cubs - They love the beefy lad but, if they're committed to playing people as little as possible like they did in 2018, then this could make sense
Astros? - It looks like they have room in the OF for him? Does their payroll allow it?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 5, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Pussy Boss posted:

So who's left? I count six contending clubs with money and a roster spot for one or both players: Astros, Angels, Nats, Braves, Phillies, and Cardinals.

Why would the Astros want an incredibly expensive SS/3B when they already have Bregman/Correa?

Our OF is stacked as well. Even if you lost Marwin to FA and gave up Reddick through a trade this offseason, we’d still have Marisnick, Kemp, Springer, and Fisher, with Tucker and Straw waiting for call-ups. Plus giving Harper an enormous 8+ year contract might mean losing guys like Springer, Bregman, etc down the line and I’d rather just keep them. Harper is a pipe-dream.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would the Astros want an incredibly expensive SS/3B when they already have Bregman/Correa?

Our OF is stacked as well. Even if you lost Marwin to FA and gave up Reddick through a trade this offseason, we’d still have Marisnick, Kemp, Springer, and Fisher, with Tucker and Straw waiting for call-ups. Plus giving Harper an enormous 8+ year contract might mean losing guys like Springer, Bregman, etc down the line and I’d rather just keep them. Harper is a pipe-dream.

Springer is the only player in that outfield anybody should really fight to keep around. Kemp is a AAAA player and Reddick and Marisnick make a decent platoon.

I hate to sound cruel but the idea of passing on a player who's 26 and capable of what Harper is to keep Kemp, Reddick, or Marisnick around doesn't make a lot of sense.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Obviously you guys are set at SS and 3B, but except for Springer, none of those outfielders seems that great? Like they are useful big leaguers but so what if Josh Reddick or Jake Marisnick rides the bench?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Dodgers and Yankees both stayed out of the luxury tax in 2018 and reset the penalties, and have infinity dollars, but I don't think either has room for Manny or Bryce? Unless like LA trades Puig or Bellinger, or the Yanks trade Andujar, or something wacky like that?
The Dodgers are definitely in on Harper. And they're being egged on by the full spectrum of local media, from hot-takes in the LA Times to the blogosphere

Their outfield is not all that full. Kemp only has 1 year left and they were ready to DFA him this year if needed. Joc and Verdugo have been long-rumored trade bait (send them to Cleveland for some pitching imo). Hernandez, Taylor, and Bellinger all have infield flexibility to fill in the gaps.

There is also a confirmed anonymous Dodgers front office employee who posts somewhat regularly to the Dodgers Digest comment section, who has indicated they are going after Harper.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The Cardinals will make a weak effort for Harper, claim they tried, then end up with Josh Donaldson and a new utility guy to replace Greg Garcia and call it a winter. They'll probably sign some bullpen junk too.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tom Gorman posted:

The Cardinals will make a weak effort for Harper, claim they tried, then end up with Josh Donaldson and a new utility guy to replace Greg Garcia and call it a winter. They'll probably sign some bullpen junk too.

The Cardinals being runners-up in getting a player always coincides with that player crashing and burning and never living up to the contract tho

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
There's no way Harper gets $400 million, the absolute most he's gonna get is something like $250/6.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

The Pussy Boss posted:

Pretty sure Angels fans would loving riot if we signed Harper to a 400M contract and then didn't have the money to extend/re-sign Trout when the time came. The Phillies seem like they make alot of sense for either or both, seem to be on the upswing as far as contention goes, and have typically been a high payroll team that could add 100M in AAV without appearing too crazy.

I would be shocked if Harper/Machado got even over $300M with the way the market seems to have played out the last few years, even if they are both very young stars. Trout is the only $400M player in baseball.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 5, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tadashi posted:

Cubs - They love the beefy lad but, if they're committed to playing people as little as possible like they did in 2018, then this could make sense

The original theory was that the Cubs were going to steam over the luxury tax this offseason thanks to having stayed under the penalty and money coming in from a new RSN deal, but over the past couple days basically every Chicago beat writer came out saying they had sources telling them the Cubs were going to use the highest luxury tax tier (~240M) as a hard salary cap. If that is indeed true, then as of the Hamels pickup the Cubs don't even have enough money to get a decent reliever, let alone Harper/Machado, unless they shed some serious payroll via trades.

Maybe it's all bullshit fake news but there's enough sources corroborating the "Cubs won't spend" line that I'm bracing for the Cubs spending a historic free agent market trying to dumpster dive.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tom Gorman posted:

Cardinals media and FO have been talking about getting elite talent back in STL for months now and it's definitely going to be a "we tried" and sign Donaldson and waste more money on overpriced bullpen arms that turn out to be bad.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think you should look at it as a positive.

The Cubs and Cardinals have smart front offices - they know there's no point blowing money trying to improve this offseason when the Pirates are going to steamroll them en route to an NL Central crown.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Even in such an unlikely fantasy land, I would still want the FO to blow as much of my team's pro-Trump billionaire owner's money as possible.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Fair. Also -

https://twitter.com/officialbbwaa/status/1059583410908258304?s=21

https://twitter.com/officialbbwaa/status/1059582600321220608?s=21

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

It would be funny if Harper signed with the Braves or Phillies and terrorized the Nats for a decade so I'm rooting for that if the Giants don't get him.

Extremely rude and hosed up. We are in a fight now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

:toot:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Also the Cy Young finalists were announced.

NL - deGrom, Scherzer, Nola
AL - Snell, Verlander.....Kluber :wtc:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
20 ~pitcher wins~ and lead the league in IP. BBWAA can't help itself.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Who do you think is being snubbed by including Kluber in the top 3? I feel like anyone #3-5, Kluber/Sale/Cole are a definite step behind Snell and Verlander.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Call me a party pooper but I think neither of Machado or Harper should be getting super contracts nearing 400 million.

Harper and Machado both have had a few average-to-good years in the past five years, even though Harper had that insane superhuman year, that was 4 years ago. Machado isn't a star SS to go with his bat.

Neither of these guys are a trout comparable where they only have great offensive seasons.

Predicting no more than 290 mill for either.

If you could have gotten Trout at 26 or Kershaw at 26, yeah, risk the budget and offer 400-500 million. But these guys? nah

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sale was better but he just doesn't have the IP (he didn't even qualify). Cole put up similar numbers to Kluber and lead the AL in K/9, albeit with 15 less IP. Bauer (I know :barf:) was better than Kluber but he only threw 170 IP because of his late season injuries.

Kluber isn't an awful pick or anything but he's definitely in there because he hit the beloved old white man milestone of 20 wins.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Local sports radio idiot just posed the question, is Bryce Harper better than Andruw Jones?

For the first time I agree with local sports radio idiot and posit that no, he is not. I foresee their careers with the bat turning out similar, except Harper doesn't have the generational talent-level defense. 14 years/430 million or whatever is getting thrown around now is completely insane. Banking on anyone for 14 years is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Harper's currently got a .900 career OPS, with a season high of 1.109. Andruw through age 25 was at .833 with a high of .907. Bryce is obviously not as good a fielder as Andruw but right now he's a much better offensive player than Andruw was at that age with a much higher ceiling.

e: interesting fact I just found - Andruw's 2005 is the only sub-.400 wOBA 50+ HR season ever.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 6, 2018