Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Lone Badger posted:

Kislevite Ice Witches use magic that has been filtered through the geography of Kislev. They claim this is safer, and indeed they don't seem to suffer the normal perils of magic. They suffer different ones!

Speaking of Kislev, apparently they have a straight-up Baba Yaga expy. https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Baba_Yaga

Pretty lazy, but otoh, she can ride her walking house into battle and start somewhere weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking of Kislev, apparently they have a straight-up Baba Yaga expy. https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Baba_Yaga

Pretty lazy, but otoh, she can ride her walking house into battle and start somewhere weird.

Realms of Chaos start for Kislev, where she is looking for rare ingredientes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

A lot of those faction/lord buffs seem fun. Ghorst is pretty memetastic but I bet he’s actually super strong in campaign. I wonder if any of the same lords have received skill tree reworks as well. That’s probably way harder.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
30% research rate boost for Ghorst is no joke given how important the VC tree is for boosting expansion via corrupting adjacent provinces. His campaign effects alone are strong, even if he is pretty wimpy in battle.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

30% research rate boost for Ghorst is no joke given how important the VC tree is for boosting expansion via corrupting adjacent provinces. His campaign effects alone are strong, even if he is pretty wimpy in battle.

Yeah that makes him an extremely good pick for your first LL, especially with how easy it is to unlock Mannfred.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I really hope Empire is next up in the rework line whenever the next bit of paid content comes along, probably the Skaven/Lizard lord pack. They definitely feel the most anemic in terms of base factions since they all start in the same place. The death lady sounds pretty cool so I'd be pretty stoked if she was added as a new lord as well.

Personally I also want Beastmen to get some love as well, feels like they're a little screwed because they were the very first DLC faction (after Chaos I guess technically since they were pre order bonus dlc) and CA were a bit timid at that point, seems like they're missing a centerpiece unit like the Jabberslythe, Ghorgon or maybe Preytons. I guess they don't need any of those since they're considered competitive in the multiplayer anyway but for campaign it'd be cool to have something on that level.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

thebardyspoon posted:

I really hope Empire is next up in the rework line whenever the next bit of paid content comes along, probably the Skaven/Lizard lord pack. They definitely feel the most anemic in terms of base factions since they all start in the same place. The death lady sounds pretty cool so I'd be pretty stoked if she was added as a new lord as well.

Personally I also want Beastmen to get some love as well, feels like they're a little screwed because they were the very first DLC faction (after Chaos I guess technically since they were pre order bonus dlc) and CA were a bit timid at that point, seems like they're missing a centerpiece unit like the Jabberslythe, Ghorgon or maybe Preytons. I guess they don't need any of those since they're considered competitive in the multiplayer anyway but for campaign it'd be cool to have something on that level.

The other thing with Empire is that the Vampire Pirates literally stole their entire campaign gimmick as like a fifth of the things that the Pirates get. The Imperial Offices aren't really that great to begin with.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

orangelex44 posted:

The other thing with Empire is that the Vampire Pirates literally stole their entire campaign gimmick as like a fifth of the things that the Pirates get. The Imperial Offices aren't really that great to begin with.

Hell, even the Wood Elves get a better Office system than the Empire does.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I, uhhhh.....

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but these guys are def going to be my first choice whenever they come out. I hope the major over world mechanic that drives them is the need to eat. All the time. The gooniest of all races for sure.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the great failures of the RPG line is never giving you rules for playing as a Maneater merc.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ice Fist posted:

I, uhhhh.....

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but these guys are def going to be my first choice whenever they come out. I hope the major over world mechanic that drives them is the need to eat. All the time. The gooniest of all races for sure.

Yeah, a race of all Monstrous Infantry, all the time sounds like a lot of fun. Especially when you consider the size of their own monsters...

E:Their basic cav must be around the size of a Dragon Ogre, plus there's a regular Ogre on top of it.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 5, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can't imagine a good reason to not bring anti-large against ogres exclusively. Even their lords will need to be large. Unless they'll have man-sized ogres (?)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jokes posted:

I can't imagine a good reason to not bring anti-large against ogres exclusively. Even their lords will need to be large. Unless they'll have man-sized ogres (?)

They'll almost certainly have gnoblars - little goblin dudes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They have Gnoblars, which are goblinoids. Using mobs of them to lure anti-large units out of position is still an effective tactic, considering that Wulfrik on his mammoth just demolish a dedicated anti-large unit in the form of Depth Guard through a perfect flank. Won't need to have perfection when you're hitting the flank with multiple Ogre units too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I had no idea the Ogres were so dope. Thanks for that extremely good post.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

jokes posted:

They'll have some gnoblars, but other than that anti-large is going to be extremely effective vs Ogres. I'd expect them to be low armor but very high HP/model, so watch out for spearmen

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ogres also tend to be pretty slow, if I remember right, so they'll need to beware cannons and luminarks.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Cythereal posted:

Ogres also tend to be pretty slow, if I remember right, so they'll need to beware cannons and luminarks.

Tabletop ogres are actually pretty fast, coming in at 6" move compared to the standard 4" (or 8" for cavalry)

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

One of the great failures of the RPG line is never giving you rules for playing as a Maneater merc.

Do you mean the Warhammer fantasy roleplaying game? There is!

quote:

Ogre:
Stats: Brawn +15, Agility -10, Intelligence -10.
Fate Points: 1
Knowledges: Ogre Kingdoms, War
Skills: Intimidation
Languages: Grumbarth, Reikspiel
Talents:
Special Traits:
Ever Hungry: Every day your character must consume a feast (or the equivalent to a full grown man or hog) or grow irritated, gaining one level of stress and losing one health level until you have had a proper meal for an Ogre. For every feast beyond your first in a day you gain one level of stamina, even beyond your limit, which may be used until you next rest.
Hulking: You add +10 to all physical tests where your great size gives you an advantage and -10 to situations where it may complicate things for you.
Unnatural Brawn: Add +2 to your damage with melee weapons, increase your Brawn bonus by 2. You may use two-handed weapons with a single hand.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is that from 3rd edition? I keep forgetting 3rd edition existed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So a lore question about the Old Ones: they created all of these races to fight Chaos, but I thought that Chaos doesn't exist without the various emotions and projections of the different sentient species, or is this only a 40K thing? Also, were there any races they didn't create? I know Dragon Ogres are the oldest things in the world but were they there before the Old Ones showed up on their spaceships?

Oh, also, it's implied that the Old Ones pretty much looked like fat frog Slaan, yeah?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Yeah, a race of all Monstrous Infantry, all the time sounds like a lot of fun. Especially when you consider the size of their own monsters...

E:Their basic cav must be around the size of a Dragon Ogre, plus there's a regular Ogre on top of it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Cythereal posted:

lmao no, Ogres on the march/charge were infamously fast if buffed up right.

At one point they were a better cavalry army than Bretonnia.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordja posted:

So a lore question about the Old Ones: they created all of these races to fight Chaos, but I thought that Chaos doesn't exist without the various emotions and projections of the different sentient species, or is this only a 40K thing? Also, were there any races they didn't create? I know Dragon Ogres are the oldest things in the world but were they there before the Old Ones showed up on their spaceships?

Oh, also, it's implied that the Old Ones pretty much looked like fat frog Slaan, yeah?

Dragons and Dragon Ogre's predated the Old One's coming along. Orc's were not created by the old ones, but came around after they arrived. Thew Sky Titans are also theorized to be unrelated.

Also Chaos was not around when they came along, but they knew it would show up eventually and so wanted to create a race capable of keeping it at bay forever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mordja posted:

Yeah but there are other worlds and roll-over chaos, even in WHFB we just never gently caress with them. WHFB might be in the 40k universe, actually. Sigmar was believed to be a lost primarch for a good long time

Think of Chaos as greenhouse gases generated by normal activity. The Old Ones were trying to plant species to fight chaos, sort of like us planting a bunch of trees. Maybe the trees perform cellular respiration that releases a bit of CO2 but at the end of the day the trees will pull more CO2 from the atmosphere than what they're putting out.

Humanity is the same way in WH junk. Yes, each human gets angry and that feeds Khorne but when they're angry and literally killing thousands of fully-formed demons made of pure rage, the net effect on chaos is a loss.

The poetic thing about Warhammer that isn't particularly well-emphasized is that at the end of the day humanity (or order, really) is fighting its own dark side. The Chaos gods aren't punishing humanity for anything and in fact don't necessarily HATE humanity (or whatever race except maybe undead)-- the lieutenants and soldiers might, but those are demons/humans with their own agendas. They're just a manifestation of the worst side of humanity. And humanity must face the worst of itself all the time, every day, forever-- eternal conflict, and all that. It's just that in 40k/WHFB, they shoot/stab it instead of grapple with their own flawed nature.

When a human is angry and rips a demon's head off, they're actually killing a manifestation of a whole mess of peoples' rage, probably over their entire lifetime. This is good poo poo. But humans also form cults and turn into Demon Princes so the Old Ones were like "mmmm not good"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mordja posted:

So a lore question about the Old Ones: they created all of these races to fight Chaos, but I thought that Chaos doesn't exist without the various emotions and projections of the different sentient species, or is this only a 40K thing?

That’s a 40k thing. According to end times there’s a cyclical nature to the Fantasy universe, and it’s implied that each time chaos destroys everything the most powerful mortal champions become the gods of the next cycle (i.e. asuryan, grimnir, et al were the champions of the previous universe). How the old ones fit in to this is unclear, but chaos is confirmed to continuously exist in their own separate realm.

quote:

Also, were there any races they didn't create? I know Dragon Ogres are the oldest things in the world but were they there before the Old Ones showed up on their spaceships?

Dragons, dragon ogres, and most likely merwyrms all existed before the old ones arrived.

As for what they looked like we know that the Slann were “made in their image” so take that to mean what you will

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lords get traits for beating a particular race enough times (still not sure what the threshold is, either it is just flat X number of victories to trigger it or each victory beyond X has a Y% chance of triggering it). So what happens if you stomp those rogue armies? Is it based on the race of the Lord leading them?

I gotta say those Rogue Armies are pretty fun to fight, since it happens fairly rarely. They don't really seem to build up and get stomped easily by the AI (or they just derp out and sit in one spot not moving, obviously some scripting is broken).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do hope that they try to add more pressure to the Dark Elves up north or do something to make it harder to form one allied block.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

quote:

Karl Franz:
Faction effect changes:
Campaign movement range +10% instead of +5%
Upkeep reduction for Reiksguard + Greatswords -15% instead of -10%
Lord effect changes:
+8 leadership for lords army instead of +2

Tyrion:
Faction effect changes:
+20 diplo relations w/ High Elves
Construction time -50% for Shrine of Khaine

Lord effect changes:
Now upkeep -50% instead of -35%
Recruit Rank +3 for Lothern Sea Guard

Low energy Karl can't even get a 50% discount on his own bodyguard. :sad:

I guess Old World races aren't allowed huge upkeep reductions?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sasgrillo posted:

Low energy Karl can't even get a 50% discount on his own bodyguard. :sad:

I guess Old World races aren't allowed huge upkeep reductions?

To be fair, Karl's is a faction wide buff. Tyrion's applies only to his person army.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, doesn’t Tyrion’s only apply to archers and spearmen?

Archers and spearmen are hella solid as early units but they will handily lose to reiksguard and greatswords and only a shameful Tyrion will have many in his mid-game stack.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Lords get traits for beating a particular race enough times (still not sure what the threshold is, either it is just flat X number of victories to trigger it or each victory beyond X has a Y% chance of triggering it). So what happens if you stomp those rogue armies? Is it based on the race of the Lord leading them?

I gotta say those Rogue Armies are pretty fun to fight, since it happens fairly rarely. They don't really seem to build up and get stomped easily by the AI (or they just derp out and sit in one spot not moving, obviously some scripting is broken).

You get a buff specifically against rogue armies.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Mordja posted:

it gets kind of confusing because the chaos gods themselves are supposedly the same gods across both gamelines, reaching into different realities. some of the demons cross over between both games, like skarbrand, kairos, the masque and friends.

i dont know how much of that 40k backstory is still canon or if its a leftover from when they were trying to make 40k a 1:1 parallel with fantasy. it is all very confusing.

in fantasy the old ones didnt create dragons, dragon ogres, greenskins (allegedly they are fungus spores the old ones tracked in on their spaceship). the native inhabitants of the planet are all the monsterous races that live in the cold and the mountains, cause apparently the first thing the old ones did was move the planet closer to the sun to heat it up, before then it was all tundra full of giant beasts.

the ogres, to me, are one of the coolest races in the game and it's a real shame they didn't give them a better counterpart in 40k. the ogryns are just comedy doofuses and really nothing close to the fantasy ogres.

they don't even use literal cannons as their standard ranged weapon:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Note that they fire those as gigantic shotguns. And will then charge you and beat you to death.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm that dude that dares to call ogres "fat" after looking at their shredded pecs, enormous shoulders, terrifying arms, and ability to hold a cannon in their hands

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 5, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Those are pretty badass. Check out the one in the background that looks stuffed with axes, swords, etc.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
They're fat in the same way those dudes who power lift 800 lbs are fat. They're gigantic and their bellies are huge, but it's 100% because they walk around carrying cauldrons and gnoblars and poo poo.

The only two army books I bought for WFB back when I was in college were Vampire Counts and Ogre Kingdoms. They're the two best factions and I'm so hopeful Ogres are added and fun.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i think they're a dead cert for 3 its just a question of if they will be in at launch or a dlc faction. i kinda hope they will play like throgg norsca, just a big army of monster-size dudes with big cannons and even bigger monsters. with some gnoblars for chaff. the confederation-by-beating mechanic norsca gets would make a lot of sense for ogres too. maybe they could have skaven-style food instead of chaos corruption.

ogres are super big, they're twice as tall as a human and probably each weigh tons.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Ogres are cool as hell, but their hat game is lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i'm worried that the chaos dwarfs wont have tall enough hats. all the new forgeworld chaos dwarf minis dont have big hats.