Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1059591218110390273

That's gotta got to Yelich 100%. There was a conversation to be had between him and Javy at the end of August, but Yelich's September was absolutely loving insane: .370/.508/.804, 240 wRC+ :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think I read somewhere Harper doesn't try that hard on defense because he injured himself running into the wall or something

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1059614085011013634

ok

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

14 years/430 million or whatever is getting thrown around now is completely insane. Banking on anyone for 14 years is insane.
I think he'll end up signing a heavily frontloaded 10+ year deal with an opt out after 3 years. It will give him a chance to make even more going into his age 29 season while still having long term insurance for injury/decline.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would love Harper but some of the numbers being thrown around are insane. He's been a really good player but I think people keep expecting him to get back to his 2015 numbers which don't seem likely to happen.

Sydin posted:

The original theory was that the Cubs were going to steam over the luxury tax this offseason thanks to having stayed under the penalty and money coming in from a new RSN deal, but over the past couple days basically every Chicago beat writer came out saying they had sources telling them the Cubs were going to use the highest luxury tax tier (~240M) as a hard salary cap. If that is indeed true, then as of the Hamels pickup the Cubs don't even have enough money to get a decent reliever, let alone Harper/Machado, unless they shed some serious payroll via trades.

Maybe it's all bullshit fake news but there's enough sources corroborating the "Cubs won't spend" line that I'm bracing for the Cubs spending a historic free agent market trying to dumpster dive.

Disappointing if true. They essentially have a 3 year window left to contend with this core. I hate when an owner passes on a moment to win more. You just don't have those kind of opportunities arise often.

The new RSN money should be enormous and they do have some bigger contracts coming off the books soon. Zobrist and Hamels will be entering their final year, Lester has 2 more, and same for Chatwood. So that's $32 million off the books at the end of 2019. An additional $33 million after 2020. Yes the arbitration numbers will hit them hard for some of the guys but it's not like their locked in to too many big, long contracts.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Traxis posted:

I think he'll end up signing a heavily frontloaded 10+ year deal with an opt out after 3 years. It will give him a chance to make even more going into his age 29 season while still having long term insurance for injury/decline.

Seems like kind of a lose/lose proposition for the team IMO. If he's good he walks after being paid something like $50M AAV or he's bad and they're on the hook for all of it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Giants fans ought to be over the moon about this if Zaidi takes it. You'd be getting an excellent GM and also get to steal him from LA.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manager of the year finalists:

AL
Kevin Cash, Rays
Alex Cora, Red Sox
Bob Melvin, A's

NL
Bud Black, Rockies
Craig Counsell, Brewers
Brian Snitker, Braves

AL is probably Cora, but Cash has a small chance. Melvin will probably be third, if you ask me.

NL I have no loving clue, they all are worthy if you ask me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I actually think Verlander has a decent chance to win the Cy Young this year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's gotta be Snell, the only ding against him is 34 less innings pitched. But that sub 2.00 ERA.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

iospace posted:

Manager of the year finalists:

AL is probably Cora, but Cash has a small chance. Melvin will probably be third, if you ask me.

NL I have no loving clue, they all are worthy if you ask me.

Obviously I think it should be Cora, but Manager of the Year often seems to be a which team over performed compared to expectations award. So Cora's at a disadvantage compared to Cash or Melvin considering how much the Red Sox outspent the A's and Rays.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Counsell ought to win, the Brewers were expected to continue to develop and finish 3rd or maybe 2nd this season but somehow wound up winning the division despite having a bunch of good teams in the central.

I think the Braves and Snitker are going to get dinged for playing in the 2nd worse division in baseball.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Popete posted:

I think the Braves and Snitker are going to get dinged for playing in the 2nd worse division in baseball.
I'm actually expecting Snit to win it -- I think the Braves were the most dramatic "wow they're actually good" story of the year and no one voting for these things will actually pay attention to how soft the NLE was. I don't know if these are the same voters but Markakis's Gold Glove makes far less sense than Snitker would so I'd bet on that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Braves were a pretty big surprise this year but really the only competition they had to beat going into the year was the Nats and it was pretty quickly apparent they were not going to be good this year. The Brewers made some really savvy moves and ended up winning a division everyone assumed was a lock for the Cubs, it would have been a good year for them to finish 2nd ahead of the Cardinals.

Yelich coming in and (likely) winning MVP, Kratz having a big year despite being ~100 years old and developing a lights out bullpen of mostly home grown talent. There is a lot to be impressed with Milwaukee.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Giants fans ought to be over the moon about this if Zaidi takes it. You'd be getting an excellent GM and also get to steal him from LA.

If he does decide to jump ship, consider my concern regarding the probe into our shady dealings in Latin America piqued.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Why would the Giants go after him, we already spend a ton of money to not win titles :downsrim:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: No extension for Maddon, allegedly.
V: Get hosed you old coot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

N: No extension for Maddon, allegedly.
V: Get hosed you old coot.

Not allegedly, Epstein literally said it in an interview at the GM meetings. It's pretty clear that Maddon and Epstein / Hoyer aren't on the same page anymore and I think that's been shown by the front office firing coaches without telling Maddon. I imagine he's toast unless they make a deep playoff run, because they don't have a long window with this team as currently constituted.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm of two minds here. On the one hand, I hate Joe Maddon and hate seeing his loving face, so that's great.

On the other hand, I think he's a poor manager, and therefore want him to remain in charge of the Cubs.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm of two minds here. On the one hand, I hate Joe Maddon and hate seeing his loving face, so that's great.

On the other hand, I think he's a poor manager, and therefore want him to remain in charge of the Cubs.

:hmmyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

lmao this was my exact dilemma mid-season with Matheney and the Cardinals.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1059839052784926721

:rip:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, good, the tanking movement has now fully migrated from the NBA to MLB. :suicide:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What happens when every team is tanking?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, the AL Central still seems to put someone up so business as usual?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Spoeank posted:

Why would the Giants go after him, we already spend a ton of money to not win titles :downsrim:

MLB N/V Offseason: We already spend a ton of money to not win titles

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

What happens when every team is tanking?

Just pipe in “Battle of Who Could Care Less” to every AL Central divisional game.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Pancakes posted:

Just pipe in “Battle of Who Could Care Less” to every AL Central divisional game.

Indeed

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Turner Ward has left the Dodgers to become hitting coach for the Reds

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pancakes posted:

My favorite AL Central thing that you'd never know by looking at the record or damned near all of their moves is that the Royals are attempting to reload instead of rebuild (while spending no money at all).

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
It’s really tragic that last season was our first full season as ticketholders. No matter what that garbage 100-loss team will be imprinted on my girlfriend for all time when she thinks of the White Sox. Avi injuring his hamstring all the time, Moncada striking out nonstop, Kopech getting rain delayed all to hell before TJS, etc. That’s what she’ll think of.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pancakes posted:

It’s really tragic that last season was our first full season as ticketholders. No matter what that garbage 100-loss team will be imprinted on my girlfriend for all time when she thinks of the White Sox. Avi injuring his hamstring all the time, Moncada striking out nonstop, Kopech getting rain delayed all to hell before TJS, etc. That’s what she’ll think of.

Did you get season tickets in the hopes that the White Sox will actually be good soon or something? I can't imagine wanting to watch the Sox more than once or twice a year right now, even if I was a fan.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
AL Centralia imo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GalacticAcid posted:

AL Centralia imo

:golfclap:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
A load of teams are going to be in on Edwin Diaz if the Mariners have a firesale but I think Juan Nicasio is worth a look - in 42 IP he gave up 6 homers, walked 5, and struck out 53, and yet ended up with an ERA of 6 on the back of a BABIP of .402. He's a definite candidate for a bounce-back season next year.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1059873895921025024?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

for a good time, read the replies

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

Oh, good, the tanking movement has now fully migrated from the NBA to MLB. :suicide:

MLB has always had tanking teams for awhile though?

It sucks, the Mariners are in no man's land. Good but not good enough. Their farm system isn't great either. Paxton and Diaz will probably fetch the biggest returns, and you have to wonder if they deal Haniger and Zunino as well.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Robinson Cano only has 5 years left on that deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Jerry Dipoto wants to make some trades? Wow I'm shocked