Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Prison .... Labor .....

:thunk:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=972057888

I had no idea raiders would settle for a dead animal and call it a day, it was pretty funny :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

LonsomeSon posted:

You're correct that the core gameplay loop is survive -> encounter challenge -> survive and repeat, because the guiding vision for development is that rimworld is a survival game which escalates in difficulty until your settlement is wiped out or the surviving pawns escape into space. You're not supposed to be ABLE to maintain an equilibrium for very long, and if you are then that's why someone told you to up the difficulty.
Which is cool if that's what you like. I really hadn't paid any kind of attention to the game at all until I noticed it finally became 1.0 a little while ago, I've played it for all of a few hours at this. I didn't really have any idea what to expect except "it's like Dwarf Fortress, but prettier." Since it's the absurd degree of scale and complexity that makes Dwarf Fortress fun to me at all and Rimworld really doesn't have those, I was figuring there might be something else instead that I had overlooked.

Just a case of mistaken expectations, don't mind me.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I completely forgot that raiders aren't mindless killbots and will sometimes settle for stealing poo poo and was only reminded of this fact when I had two deep drills on a plasteel spot outside my walls and I set up on my killbox on the other side of the compound only to watch them pick up and run away with my drills.

Fair play, tbh.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You really should be able to ward off raids/satisfy them with carnage or loot more easily than you presently can. Maybe have individual raiders keep their eyes open for poo poo to steal and immediately abscond with. The AI needs some improvement.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Which is cool if that's what you like. I really hadn't paid any kind of attention to the game at all until I noticed it finally became 1.0 a little while ago, I've played it for all of a few hours at this. I didn't really have any idea what to expect except "it's like Dwarf Fortress, but prettier." Since it's the absurd degree of scale and complexity that makes Dwarf Fortress fun to me at all and Rimworld really doesn't have those, I was figuring there might be something else instead that I had overlooked.

Just a case of mistaken expectations, don't mind me.

A lot of us also play or have played DF quite a lot so if you were expecting some sort of argument about this stuff you're not going to get it, we all agree that RW is much less complex than DF :shrug:

I think Tynan has gone out of his way to AVOID making his game very close to DF and that's a good thing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Like I said, I think that Rimworld is an excellent compromise between DF and more mainstream games. But I imagine that if you already play and enjoy DF, Rimworld probably won't do much for you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Flesh Forge posted:

if you were expecting some sort of argument about this stuff you're not going to get it
You haven't spent a lot of time on the internet, have you. :v:

Well, for now, I'll just keep piling on the mods and see what comes out on the other end. I've already managed to cobble together a sort of travelling vampire clan of sorts. It's neat. If there's one thing about this game I definitely do wish Dwarf Fortress had, it's the easy moddability.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Well here's what it took to finally breech all defenses, but everyone lived. The river goes through a cave and every available space under the mountain became infested at once.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You know that saying about sex and pizza, well, it turns out there is some really bad pizza :argh:

e: and this is her partner :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is that RJW or one of those genital mods?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

No, but I wouldn't expect them to move extra fast

Radagast the Brown disagrees.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is that RJW or one of those genital mods?

Birds And The Bees, by Fluffy, very tame compared to Rimjob Whirled

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751049133

you haven't really had the full experience of Rimworld until an angry bear rips off your junk

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm so happy I at least started on a kill box this game it has just been non stop raids. The biggest downside is my single builder is now basically full time on restoring traps and never has enough time to build anything else.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, finally have a little time to play this.

What are good mods? I'd like Prepare Carefully if possible, and I'd be glad to have some extended items like craftable bionics and easier base defense.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I played a lot of DF and rimworld WITH MODS is my favorite PC game of all time so :shrug:

Emphasizing WITH MODS. I'm around 240 at the moment, but even with a few you'd be deepening the experience. Throw in a A Rimworld of Magic and Astra Imperium and you have a whole different game. The modding is where the game shines.

So maybe eventually you'll enjoy the experience...

Edit: ^^this was in response to the cardiovax discussion, those 2 mods may not be good starter mods! AROM is amazing though and the latest class that just came out is extremely well designed and it's just amazing what modders are doing with this game. And I can't wait to come back to it again in a year to see even more.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 5, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Did anyone ever make a mod for 1.0 that let's you assign what cell you want prisoners in? I swear there was one for B18

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There was a nice Prison Improvements mod that did a lot of things including that but it hasn't been supported for some time. Tynan breaks all mods pertaining to that stuff every major rev, this release was no exception.

Re: mods, here's my mods! these are their steam workshop names

code:
	<modNames>
		<li>Core</li>
		<li>Mod Manager</li>
		<li>HugsLib</li>
		<li>JecsTools</li>
		<li>Humanoid Alien Races 2.0</li>
		<li>[RF] Wild Cultivation [1.0]</li>
		<li>[RF] Tribal Raiders [1.0]</li>
		<li>[RF] Tribal Pawn Names [1.0]</li>
		<li>[RF] Pawns are Capable! [1.0]</li>
		<li>[RF] Fishing [1.0]</li>
		<li>[RF] Fertile Fields [1.0]</li>
		<li>[RF] Editable Backstories and Names [1.0]</li>
		<li>[RF] Concrete [1.0]</li>
		<li>[RF] Archipelagos [1.0]</li>
		<li>[RF] Advanced Bridges [1.0]</li>
		<li>Cut plants before building</li>
		<li>Meat Blend 1.0</li>
		<li>Veggie Blend 1.0</li>
		<li>Just Ignore Me Passing</li>
		<li>Remove Tutorial Button</li>
		<li>Recycle 1.0</li>
		<li>Chemfuel lamps and heaters</li>
		<li>Reverse Commands</li>
		<li>Master of Crafting 1.0 test</li>
		<li>Passable Wind Turbines[1.0]</li>
		<li>Where is my weapon?</li>
		<li>[RF] Permafrost [1.0]</li>
		<li>OgreStack</li>
		<li>[1.0] Small Shelf</li>
		<li>[KIR]Playable Outlander Settlers [V1.0]</li>
		<li>[CP] Chicken Mitchell - Hairstyles (1.0)</li>
		<li>Predator Hunt Alert</li>
		<li>Children, school and learning</li>
		<li>Allow Tool</li>
		<li>Defensive Positions</li>
		<li>Surgical Body Shaping (SBS)</li>
		<li>Master of Crafting</li>
		<li>Master of Cooking</li>
		<li>[KV] Save Storage, Outfit, Crafting, &amp; Drug Settings - 1.0</li>
		<li>[FSF] No Default Shelf Storage</li>
		<li>MinifyEverything</li>
		<li>Glass+Lights</li>
		<li>Dubs Skylights</li>
		<li>Medical Tab</li>
		<li>[1.0] Material Filter</li>
		<li>Better Pawn Control</li>
		<li>[1.0] Drugs are not Food</li>
		<li>EdB Prepare Carefully</li>
		<li>RealBeds</li>
		<li>[KV] RimFridge - 1.0</li>
		<li>Xeva's Rimhair</li>
		<li>[KV] Trading Spot - 1.0</li>
		<li>Pharmacist</li>
		<li>Fluffy Breakdowns</li>
		<li>Research Tree</li>
		<li>Door Mat R1.0</li>
		<li>Why Can't I Craft Neutroamine?!</li>
		<li>Rim of Madness - Bones</li>
		<li>ZARS Tribal Reborn</li>
		<li>Interaction Bubbles</li>
		<li>Repair Workbench</li>
		<li>Call of Cthulhu - Cults</li>
		<li>Call of Cthulhu - Cosmic Horrors</li>
		<li>Industrial Age - Objects and Furniture</li>
		<li>Replace Stuff</li>
		<li>Numbers</li>
		<li>Safely Hidden Away</li>
		<li>[KV] Configurable Maps - 1.0</li>
		<li>[SYR] Glowing Healroot</li>
		<li>Map Reroll</li>
		<li>Door Curtains</li>
		<li>Call of Cthulhu - Factions</li>
		<li>[RF] Rational Romance [1.0]</li>
		<li>Quarry</li>
		<li>Combat Training</li>
		<li>Snow Clearance Sanity</li>
		<li>[1.0] Terrain Zone Selections</li>
		<li>The Birds and the Bees</li>
		<li>Simple sidearms</li>
		<li>ETRT: Tribal Apparel</li>
		<li>RT Fuse</li>
		<li>Animals Logic</li>
		<li>Centralized Climate Control</li>
		<li>My Little Planet</li>
		<li>RimHUD</li>
		<li>Permanent Cold Snap and Heat Wave</li>
		<li>Pick Up And Haul</li>
		<li>[FSF] Indoor Tree Farms</li>
		<li>MT - Silent Doors</li>
		<li>More Faction Interaction</li>
		<li>Climate Cycle++</li>
		<li>Call of Cthulhu - Elder Things</li>
		<li>RimWriter - Books, Scrolls, Tablets, and Libraries</li>
		<li>Less Arbitrary Surgery</li>
		<li>No Forced Slowdown</li>
		<li>[KV] Faction Control - 1.0</li>
		<li>[1.0] RePower</li>
		<li>Better Workbench Management</li>
		<li>Incident Person Stat</li>
		<li>Locks</li>
		<li>Prepare Landing</li>
		<li>[RF] Rumor Has It.... [1.0]</li>
		<li>Snap Out!</li>
	</modNames>

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Had a poison ship land inside my (enormous) compound. Used an orbital bombardment on it, killing nothing but severally damaged the 8+ Scyther/Lancers and only lightly damaged the 4 centipedes.

My inner killbox was enough to kill the scythers/Lancers 1 by 1 as they came around the corner, the centipede fight was... Not so clean. No outright deaths but folks are queued up for bionic limbs and replacement organs.

My ship is mostly built,need to complete one more engine then build all the cryocaskets. I have enough uranium for all of it but not steel/plasteel. Busy taking apart those mechanoids and pilfering the slag from the poison ship.

How does the mechanics of the take off work? Is there a countdown where I have everyone run for the cryocaskets as raiders attack or what?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Once you have the ship built, you click on the AI core and tell it to start up the engine. Then you have to hold out for fifteen days while it powers up, with the expectation of a raid every other day or so, sometimes with multiple simultaneously if you get unlucky. You don't need to shove anyone into the cryocaskets until the ship's fully powered up so you can have everyone on hand to defend the colony, and you can launch it any time after the fifteen days are up.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

that maze is doing work. Raids loving handle themselves.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Do you guys favour big megastructure bases or multiple smaller buildings? And which storyteller? I've just been on Classic for now.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Randy random is the only storyteller. Also go rough difficulty or higher unless you're specifically doing something interesting. Like if you don't want to wall in your base I'd do an easier difficulty, or if you want to role play as a raider clan, etc.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I prefer having more than 20 colonists in a mostly-under mountain base on Randy medium with a tribal planet.

I tend to make several large rooms (dining hall, bathroom [hygiene mod], kitchen, freezer, guest quarters), and a few huge rooms (party room, crafting room, non-perishable storage, animal barn with attached boomalope pens)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's funny because the reason it gives for the constant raids is that people want to get off the planet so they're mobbing you for your ship, but if you built it out in the open and left it undefended, I can almost guarantee you they'd just trash it while attacking you.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Heh.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Is there any way to make food items lootable if they're in a prisoners area?

I had the grand idea to install those egg-laying implants from Genetic Rim in my prisoners. Now they lay two chicken eggs a day! Huzzah! Except...I can't loot them normally because they're in a prisoner marked area. So far my solution has been to just untag it and shuffle the prisoners around but it's a pain in the rear end and making me regret this whole line of thought. I could always recruit them and restrict them to some sort of mutants only compound, but that defeats the purpose.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

I prefer having more than 20 colonists in a mostly-under mountain base on Randy medium with a tribal planet.

I tend to make several large rooms (dining hall, bathroom [hygiene mod], kitchen, freezer, guest quarters), and a few huge rooms (party room, crafting room, non-perishable storage, animal barn with attached boomalope pens)

Thank you for this. My friend was complaining that the only thing he needed to fulfill his realism need was a pooping mod. We searched the Steam Workshop for poop mods, but couldn't find one. Thanks to your thread, he now has a pooping mod (hygene is a silly name, they should rename it to pooping mod.)

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Something has gone and broke in my game, where i cant right click to force a job. I can draft and force some, but otherwise things are broke. Anyone had this, an how to fix it?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

winterwerefox posted:

Something has gone and broke in my game, where i cant right click to force a job. I can draft and force some, but otherwise things are broke. Anyone had this, an how to fix it?

I've had that happen when I've added a mod to a save. Not sure if there is a way to recover outside of disabling that mod.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

winterwerefox posted:

What's the job? I figured out that sometimes I can't force treatment on someone because their treatment permissions somehow got set to none (and then nearly lost him to bleeding). Another pawn won't do firefighting, probably because of work permissions as well though I didn't check closely because I was busy with the fire.

It does seem like an area where more information visibility is in order, tasks should always exist in the context menu, simply greyed out with reasoning if they can't be accomplished. That this happens with some tasks but not others is poor consistency.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I was testing "Force construction" for my builders, Rescue on a fox that was injured for my doctors, and Haul on anyone. The menu wasnt coming up at all to show 'Action reserved by" or any of the like. i decided to just restart a new map, i think adding mods mid save hosed things.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Think I just lost my most successful run. A caravan that has half my pawns is bugged out and is just stuck. Tried restarting the game but despite moving at 12 tiles a day they ain't going anywhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tias posted:

Okay, finally have a little time to play this.

What are good mods? I'd like Prepare Carefully if possible, and I'd be glad to have some extended items like craftable bionics and easier base defense.

Bionics are now craftable in vanilla at the fabrication bench. :toot:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Think I just lost my most successful run. A caravan that has half my pawns is bugged out and is just stuck. Tried restarting the game but despite moving at 12 tiles a day they ain't going anywhere.

Try some poo poo like making them rest or settle/reform

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Mental breaks? Too much weight?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bionics are now craftable in vanilla at the fabrication bench. :toot:

Oh word. How is 1.0 set for base defense? I found some razor wire thing, but I'd like more sorts of emplacements.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really hate the maze defense type and will generally design my base layouts with sandbags and fields of fire instead. But the storytellers will always eventually send something unbeatable at you so it kinda sucks. Recently I've been trying out the lovecraft storyteller from the cults mods but nothing ever seems to happen, even on the second to last difficulty.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you want walls you can shoot through, there's a bunch of implementations e.g. Rainbeau's Concrete:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539310322

or Brunayla's Embrasures

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736582456

or Jaxxa's Embrasures

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=722085442

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Vasudus posted:

Is there any way to make food items lootable if they're in a prisoners area?

I had the grand idea to install those egg-laying implants from Genetic Rim in my prisoners. Now they lay two chicken eggs a day! Huzzah! Except...I can't loot them normally because they're in a prisoner marked area. So far my solution has been to just untag it and shuffle the prisoners around but it's a pain in the rear end and making me regret this whole line of thought. I could always recruit them and restrict them to some sort of mutants only compound, but that defeats the purpose.

This is the first thing in the thread to really ever give me concern. Wild.

deathbagel posted:

Thank you for this. My friend was complaining that the only thing he needed to fulfill his realism need was a pooping mod. We searched the Steam Workshop for poop mods, but couldn't find one. Thanks to your thread, he now has a pooping mod (hygene is a silly name, they should rename it to pooping mod.)

Dubs' Bad Hygiene is one of my favorite mods, it makes the game feel far more real and adds a lot of good stuff beyond just "pawns poo poo now" - heating and cooling, water management and crop irrigation, even litter boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
huh i just noticed that visitors just barge into your freezer and eat your food whenever they feel like it? My food is very low due to a volcanic winter, how can i send them away?