Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Do they even get iPads before launch day?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Their job is to crank out as many separate articles and videos as they can with as little time and effort wasted between them so as to maximize clicks.

Yeah, but you'd think they'd want to get more out of spending hours at an event than one little video. Why aren't they cutting and recutting it, with reactions and reactions to reactions? And why have so few of those who were there made videos?

Blinkman987 posted:

Do they even get iPads before launch day?

No but they got to fondle them for ten minutes, and that should be enough for them to scream about how its a revolutionary orgasmic experience that transforms and transcends all of space and time forever. You know, cold hard objective trade journalism.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
nah that's not correct. Many left Brooklyn with them.

A number of Journalists have both the 11 and 12.9" right now.

I've seen both from one of them.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Must be under a goddamn embargo then :argh:

After it comes out I won’t need or even want any hype

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Does anyone know the likelihood of being able to pick up one of the new ipads at an apple store on launch day at a reasonable hour? Also, do the retail stores offer the educational discount? I'm staff at an affiliated university.

I have a couple Apple products but I haven't bought anything at a launch since the iphone 3g way back when so I have no idea how their stock levels are.

I looked at ordering online but the estimated delivery date is like November 28 so.

Edit: was planning on a 256GB one, don't care the color, in case that impacts the answer somehow.

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 5, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Does anyone know the likelihood of being able to pick up one of the new ipads at an apple store on launch day at a reasonable hour? Also, do the retail stores offer the educational discount? I'm staff at an affiliated university.

I have a couple Apple products but I haven't bought anything at a launch since the iphone 3g way back when so I have no idea how their stock levels are.

I looked at ordering online but the estimated delivery date is like November 28 so.

Edit: was planning on a 256GB one, don't care the color, in case that impacts the answer somehow.

Not sure about the edu discount but you shouldn’t have an issue picking one up. I haven’t heard any issues with supply at this point.

Fake edit: well I just checked the app and...

I bet if you get there when they open you should get one. I’d also imagine they will be restocking during the week but that could be hit or miss.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure about the edu discount but you shouldn’t have an issue picking one up. I haven’t heard any issues with supply at this point.

Fake edit: well I just checked the app and...

I bet if you get there when they open you should get one. I’d also imagine they will be restocking during the week but that could be hit or miss.

Yeah I didn't have pick up at store as an option either or I would just have done that and gotten it over with. Getting there when they open is probably going to be impractical for me - I will see if I can cut out of work for a bit maybe, it's usually not a problem but I think I have a meeting. We'll see I guess. It's also not a huge deal if I don't get one soon, I still have a perfectly good 2016 ipad pro so I don't even know why I give a gently caress.

Thanks!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The USB-C port doesn't support mass storage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Apple :negative:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

If they did that then you could reasonably buy the lower cost ones rather than pay ridiculous prices for built-in flash storage. It's the same reason most phones don't have SDCard support anymore.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

If they did that then you could reasonably buy the lower cost ones rather than pay ridiculous prices for built-in flash storage. It's the same reason most phones don't have SDCard support anymore.

You can't even import pictures directly into LightRoom.
The biggest downside to iOS is that you can't set default apps, which is just asinine.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

You can't even import pictures directly into LightRoom.
The biggest downside to iOS is that you can't set default apps, which is just asinine.

Oh dang, really? I was contemplating picking up a new iPad Pro to move my digital photo workflow away from a computer, but this seems annoying. Can you import to Dropbox or somewhere else or does it have to be to camera roll first?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Oh dang, really? I was contemplating picking up a new iPad Pro to move my digital photo workflow away from a computer, but this seems annoying. Can you import to Dropbox or somewhere else or does it have to be to camera roll first?

Have to import to the camera roll first. Apparently Adobe made a lightroom shortcut that will import your photos to the camera roll, then lightroom, and then remove them from the camera roll.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Have to import to the camera roll first. Apparently Adobe made a lightroom shortcut that will import your photos to the camera roll, then lightroom, and then remove them from the camera roll.

Very interesting. Gotta read up on that shortcut I guess.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Oh dang, really? I was contemplating picking up a new iPad Pro to move my digital photo workflow away from a computer
Don't do that. You will regret it.

Maybe in a few years time, but for now the limitations will probably irritate you (and make you slower).

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I had one it was tied to my old address and holy poo poo is the My choice website a chore to navigate.

I THINK I have it set up right but we will see.

Thanks for the tip!

Just as a follow up to this: While Apple hasn't changed status from "preparing to ship," since a label to my address was issued on Friday UPS pinged my account and I've been watching my iPad move from China, through Anchorage, etc. Already tagged to be held at the UPS Store.

S'fun knowing stuff Apple didn't want me to know.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CaptainCrunch posted:

Just as a follow up to this: While Apple hasn't changed status from "preparing to ship," since a label to my address was issued on Friday UPS pinged my account and I've been watching my iPad move from China, through Anchorage, etc. Already tagged to be held at the UPS Store.

One of my things is in Kentucky, the other in China, and the third in the UK so nice to know my stuff will be super well traveled

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Not to turn this in to a shipping thread but did you get an alert for that or you just checked out account and saw it?

EDIT: Oh ok I see it now. I didn't an email or anything but if you go into the UPS my choice website and look at the calendar you can see the upcoming delivery.

The UPS site is kinda poo poo IMO

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 5, 2018

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

MarcusSA posted:

Not to turn this in to a shipping thread but did you get an alert for that or you just checked out account and saw it?

EDIT: Oh ok I see it now. I didn't an email or anything but if you go into the UPS my choice website and look at the calendar you can see the upcoming delivery.

The UPS site is kinda poo poo IMO

Last thing I'll say about it. ;)
I have the UPS app. It popped up a notification when the labels were printed in China. It's also better than the website for most stuff, even if it's not a fantastic app in and of itself.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How are you guys getting a UPS tracking number? I don't see anything listed on the Apple site (my order still lists it as "Preparing to Ship"), and I didn't receive any emails. This is my first time ordering an Apple product if it matters.

cowtown posted:

It's likely to arrive on time. It may have actually shipped already -- it takes Apple a while after shipping to actually mark the order as shipped. If you search UPS by "reference number" and use your phone number as the reference number, the package might show up that way.

This didn't work for me, but I'm Canadian.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fadam posted:

How are you guys getting a UPS tracking number? I don't see anything listed on the Apple site (my order still lists it as "Preparing to Ship"), and I didn't receive any emails. This is my first time ordering an Apple product if it matters.

I only see it because it shows up on UPS my choice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I only see it because it shows up on UPS my choice.

Yeah, I just went in and three packages (I guess the keyboard folio, pencil and iPad are all separate pkgs) show as clearing in Anchorage right now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fadam posted:

Try your Apple order number. There's like 6 or 7 different reference numbers and the Apple order number is one of them.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Just got a tax return that's $5 more than a new iPad Pro with smart keyboard & pencil.

It's a sign, right?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Yeast posted:

Just got a tax return that's $5 more than a new iPad Pro with smart keyboard & pencil.

It's a sign, right?

Depends if this thread is in BFC or IYG.

If you need someone to tell you it’s okay to spend money, then sure knock yourself out.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yeast posted:

It's a sign, right?

it depends. if you want to totally transform your life and become the greatest possible version of yourself, an immortal creative and cultural icon whose works will inspire all sentience for aeons to come and own the finest and most special portable device ever made, then I'd recommend you go for it.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

fadam posted:

I think Apple ships Purolator here in the third world of the North.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I got a tracking number from TNT, here in Aussie. Tomorrow will be ~awesome~ provided I don't get too workdrunk because of the Melbourne Cup

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Yeast posted:

It's a sign, right?

This is a really weird coincidence. I was just about to ask you to give me an iPad Pro, keyboard, pencil and five dollars.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Do you still need a computer with iTunes to activate an iPad? Something in my pc just poo poo the bed, probably the graphics card I don’t know, and I have no idea when I’ll get it fixed

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Do you still need a computer with iTunes to activate an iPad? Something in my pc just poo poo the bed, probably the graphics card I don’t know, and I have no idea when I’ll get it fixed

Just a WiFi or mobile connection required now

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Calaveron posted:

No, I don’t even own a personal computer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

No, I don’t even own a personal computer.

What's a computer?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

What's a computer?

An iPad with the keyboard attachment.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

What's a computer?

gently caress that commercial ugh.

RE: my question earlier about availability in stores, I decided I'd just cut out of work for a bit and get to an apple store around opening and hope for the best.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

gently caress that commercial ugh.

RE: my question earlier about availability in stores, I decided I'd just cut out of work for a bit and get to an apple store around opening and hope for the best.

God speed sir.

I really don’t think you’ll have an issue. There might be a line but this isn’t like the phones.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Shame I don’t think I’ll have access to my music/videos until I fix my computer though

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

God speed sir.

I really don’t think you’ll have an issue. There might be a line but this isn’t like the phones.

Yeah we'll see. Like I said the last apple launch I went to was the iphone 3G and it was bonkers. I actually have an apple store of a sort in the building I work in the form of the student/staff Tech Store, but I don't expect them to get them in at launch day. They're not listed on the site yet. I guess I could wander upstairs and ask them - that would be easier and I bet they'd hold one for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah we'll see. Like I said the last apple launch I went to was the iphone 3G and it was bonkers. I actually have an apple store of a sort in the building I work in the form of the student/staff Tech Store, but I don't expect them to get them in at launch day. They're not listed on the site yet. I guess I could wander upstairs and ask them - that would be easier and I bet they'd hold one for me.

They actually might get a few but! Even the apple store employees have no loving clue as to the stock so don’t be surprised if they have no idea and then on launch day a few just show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

They actually might get a few but! Even the apple store employees have no loving clue as to the stock so don’t be surprised if they have no idea and then on launch day a few just show up.

They don't, I went and asked and they are 100% confident they will not have any for a couple weeks. Oh well. I'll still try Apple Store tomorrow and it's not going to kill me if I don't get one. Thanks again for the info!