Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Is it possible to avoid killing bounty hunters' dogs? I don't want to take the honor hit but their barking is upsetting my horse :(

You can kick them and they’ll scamper off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The fact that they had a working travel system, threw it out, added in a penalty for not manually horsing everything, then either failed to implement it or doubled down and just had it screw up a lot... is the reason why I just took 30 minutes to get between two farms. If I hadn't taken over manually at some point I'd imagine coyotes would have eventually killed me. Whomever designed random travel deserves to burn in hell with the same guy who thought the same button to talk should be aim weapon.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
When's online coming?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Mailer posted:

The fact that they had a working travel system, threw it out, added in a penalty for not manually horsing everything, then either failed to implement it or doubled down and just had it screw up a lot... is the reason why I just took 30 minutes to get between two farms. If I hadn't taken over manually at some point I'd imagine coyotes would have eventually killed me. Whomever designed random travel deserves to burn in hell with the same guy who thought the same button to talk should be aim weapon.

Im glad the concessions they had to make to get the dollar of morons like you ended where they did, though i wouldve liked to see what the original game looked like before the qa halfwits reminded them that they had to make games for the stupid, as well as the rest of us

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

lmao what

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

always be closing posted:

When's online coming?

The online beta is supposed to drop around the 16th or so.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
With them at least putting in the area for part of the original game's Mexico, I wonder if you could basically sell the original game in the new game's engine.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Fun little tip for when you're starting off on Chapter 4 if you go back to the Braithwaite manor you can find and loot Catherine Braithwaite's charred corpse! You'll also find a lot of Braithwaites that are still alive somehow and will attack you on sight, and you will get a bounty for shooting them, so much so that it costs more than the loot you get off her corpse, but it's still a nice attention to detail

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw a girl crouched in the bayou like the chick from The Ring or something. Tried to help her, her buddies insta killed me. What was I supposed to do here?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Shoot her in the face

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

Shoot her in the face

The answer to all of life’s problems

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So for turning yourself into the sheriff to get rid of a bounty, the first time I was going to do that was in Valentine before I'd done any bounty hunter missions. I walk into the sheriff's office to surrender myself and trigger a cutscene where the first thing the sheriff says is "and I'm sure you didn't walk in here to surrender yourself" or something along those lines. I laughed.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

The online beta is supposed to drop around the 16th or so.

Thanks pard

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lmao playing rear end in a top hat Arthur is incredible. I just spend an hour in actual tears of laughter wandering around valentine berating people and occasionally robbing them, then went back to camp and just marched around belittling everyone until John punched me and left me lying in the woods

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Marston coming out of nowhere and decking you is the funniest thing I've seen in a video game in years and now I want him to be in every game. Just bursting up out of the ground and uppercutting people with no warning.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So the contextual action to kick doors seems to always exist but is it ever actually useful outside of preset story things? There's not a whole lot of breach and clear to be done in the game so far.

Also systemic question; when you rob the back room of the doc in Valentine, will it actually care if you're standing in view of the door slit? I was by the grandfather clock and basically out of sight but the guy at the door said "It's just the doc" and that seems exactly like the sort of poo poo it'd pull.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 6, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Orv posted:

So the contextual action to kick doors seems to always exist but is it ever actually useful outside of preset story things? There's not a whole lot of breach and clear to be done in the game so far.

Also systemic question; when you rob the back room of the doc in Valentine, will it actually care if you're standing in view of the door slit? I was by the grandfather clock and basically out of sight but the guy at the door said "It's just the doc" and that seems exactly like the sort of poo poo it'd pull.

I was well within sight and still holding a gun to his head and it continued as you describe.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

It didn't matter for me, I was in full view of the door slit with my gun pointed at the docs head the whole time. I thought for sure they would see me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bummer but I suppose there's only so many trillions of tiny details you can cram in.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Does the gunsmith in Rhodes reopen if you let him live after freeing his replacement son

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

free hubcaps posted:

Does the gunsmith in Rhodes reopen if you let him live after freeing his replacement son

I stabbed that gunsmith to death after freeing his captive and he still re-opened later

So, probably yes?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

free hubcaps posted:

Yes - he comments on it too.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How do I rob a train outside of a mission? Ride up and jump on or what? Does it get unlocked at some point?

Am I correct that the best way to farm honor is do a bunch of catch and release? Is there a limit on how much honor you can get from a fishing sesh?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

How do I rob a train outside of a mission? Ride up and jump on or what? Does it get unlocked at some point?

Am I correct that the best way to farm honor is do a bunch of catch and release? Is there a limit on how much honor you can get from a fishing sesh?

Just make sure it's a passenger train before you do it. I accidentally robbed a freight train (I was riding my horse next to the tracks when a train came up behind me so I jumped onto the engine right away to get to the engineer since it was right there without checking the train) and got nothing but some canned food for my troubles and a humongous bounty.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

best way to rob a train is still taking a ride to riggs, stealing the train, and parking it on the bridge

you can take your time and it's jam packed with cash, valuables, and useful items

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Had a random encounter with a dude from New York City. Is it not called Liberty City in the RDR universe?

I've heard Dutch make reference to growing up in Pennsylvania and spending time in Philadelphia.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah there's never any implication that RDR takes place in anything other than boring old real-life USA. Well, barring the fact that you can cure bullet wounds with canned peaches.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

shortspecialbus posted:

So for turning yourself into the sheriff to get rid of a bounty, the first time I was going to do that was in Valentine before I'd done any bounty hunter missions. I walk into the sheriff's office to surrender myself and trigger a cutscene where the first thing the sheriff says is "and I'm sure you didn't walk in here to surrender yourself" or something along those lines. I laughed.

Haha I did the exact same thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bold Robot posted:

You can get a ton of honor when you get to Saint Denis by just greeting everyone on the street. It's really funny(and effective).

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah there's never any implication that RDR takes place in anything other than boring old real-life USA. Well, barring the fact that you can cure bullet wounds with canned peaches.

It would be strange if the wild west were taking place for example in a Japan that bordered Mexico.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The shopkeepers seem to be immortal, I threw a knife into the Valentine gunsmith’s face to keep him from snitching and he was fit as a fiddle when I came back a few days later.

Walked out of the place with a $2 bounty for disturbing the peace because I opened the safe with dynamite.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

don't worry about mindlessly grinding karma if the only reason you're doing it is for the good ending

there were more than enough opportunities in chapter six to completely reverse my "awful loving bastard" reputation

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Nolgthorn posted:

It would be strange if the wild west were taking place for example in a Japan that bordered Mexico.

Strange, but awesome.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Crabtree posted:

With them at least putting in the area for part of the original game's Mexico, I wonder if you could basically sell the original game in the new game's engine.

I'm sure they could sell the old game redone in the new game's engine. Remasters have been way too popular this generation.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Red Dead Redemption III: Feudal Japan

I'm feeling it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Pirate Jet posted:

The shopkeepers seem to be immortal, I threw a knife into the Valentine gunsmith’s face to keep him from snitching and he was fit as a fiddle when I came back a few days later.

Walked out of the place with a $2 bounty for disturbing the peace because I opened the safe with dynamite.

Yeah, I accidentally shot the trapper and on my next visit he was still very happy to see me, even though he had a giant open chest wound.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

rap music posted:

don't worry about mindlessly grinding karma if the only reason you're doing it is for the good ending

there were more than enough opportunities in chapter six to completely reverse my "awful loving bastard" reputation
My early habits were kicked off by "Wow! I get a FREE thing from the general store-Oh, so I'm not good enough to get (certain) CLOTHES for free :mad: "

In turn, this surplus of early game honor has developed an amusing (To me at least) tradition.

Before the heavy hand of the script requires I make life miserable for the locals, I buy the high honor outfit at the general store five minutes before the bodies start piling up. "With you in a minute, fellow gang member. I've got some shopping to do before your shenanigans slap me with a $300 bounty"

I'm getting a head start on that in chapter 3. This time around, I was allowed to actually use my life saving freebie on the local good boy outfit :buddy:

It probably says a lot about Micah, that I got a $300 bounty in begrudging combat freeing him from Strawberry. And a $60 bounty for seeing how many headshots I can fit per deadeye in Valentine over Dutch's gently caress up

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 6, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Which outfits are the high honor ones?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really amused that buying a ticket and taking the train is faster than the actual fast travel system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

when I picked this kid up and was riding him back home, he kept swinging his pistol and aiming at everyone, and I couldn't tell if it was a bug or not. he'd spin around in his seat to do it and it looked so funny. people would also get freaked out.